jimbo27L
Topic Author

SQ A380 Construction Video

Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:21 pm

Found this time lapse video of SQ's A380 being constructed....but not sure how to embed it on here, perhaps someone a bit more savvy can sort it.

The link can be found in the 'Video and Audio News' section halfway down the page on BBC news home page -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Or - this may work...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...bram=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1&nbwm=1&asb=1

Enjoy, cheers

autothrust

RE: SQ A380 Construction Video

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:59 pm

Well thanks but this video is pretty old through its the best A380 video ever made. You can see the full vid here

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LbEiHGZtCFA

or

I just noticed that the only diffrence is the paintshop between the BBC released vid and this. Wrong in the BBC Vid is, that the SQ A380 wasn't painted in Tolouse. It was flown to Hamburg and then painted.

[Edited 2007-10-15 16:12:47]
Flown on: DC-9, MD-80, Fokker 100, Bae 146 Avro, Boeing 737-300, 737-400, 747-200, 747-300,747-400, 787-9, Airbus A310, A319, A320, A321, A330-200,A330-300, A340-313, A380, Bombardier CSeries 100/300, CRJ700ER/CRJ900, Embraer 190.

mpdpilot

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:26 pm

So first off great videos. Secondly I have a question for those of you who know something about how airbus does things. I have seen numerous times the building of the 777 and boeing uses an assembly line type of construction and after watching this movie airbus doesn't appear to do that. So I ask why? The assembly line seems much more efficient and even faster but, airbus still builds planes as fast if not faster than boeing so what am I missing here.
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

tdscanuck

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting MPDPilot (Reply 2):
I have seen numerous times the building of the 777 and boeing uses an assembly line type of construction and after watching this movie airbus doesn't appear to do that. So I ask why? The assembly line seems much more efficient and even faster but, airbus still builds planes as fast if not faster than boeing so what am I missing here.

Assembly-line construction works well for high-rate production. Obviously, "high rate" is a relative term. You also have to look at whether it's more efficient to move the product or move the tooling. As the product gets bigger, the economics of moving the product get worse. I suspect that the combination of relatively low rate, relatively high customization between models, and physically very large product, all swing the equation in favour of Airbus's system for the A380.

Airbus doesn't build any particular plane as fast as Boeing (Boeing is usually faster per plane) but they have many more planes in construction at any given time so their delivery rate is higher.

Tom.

mpdpilot

Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 3):
Airbus doesn't build any particular plane as fast as Boeing (Boeing is usually faster per plane) but they have many more planes in construction at any given time so their delivery rate is higher.

thanks for the info. very informative
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos