Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sacamojus
Topic Author

JAX Trying To Lure European Charters?

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:03 pm

I was browsing around Wikipedia and stopped the JAX page and saw they are eyeing on establishing charter service to Europe. Does JAX even have any scheduled intenational operations or in the past? Could this be true with KSFB down I-95 and I-4? To what extent are they trying to get European service?

Cubsrule

RE: JAX Trying To Lure European Charters?

Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:55 pm

Quoting Sacamojus (Thread starter):
I was browsing around Wikipedia and stopped the JAX page and saw they are eyeing on establishing charter service to Europe.

Isn't AA using all of the international gates now because of the terminal construction? If so, it would seem that this isn't realistic until 2009 at the earliest.

Quoting Sacamojus (Thread starter):
Could this be true with KSFB down I-95 and I-4?

If MLB can get LT, then in principle the proximity of SFB shouldn't be a complete obstacle. Amelia Island is lovely. I'm not sure there's the interest or volume in Europe for Amelia alone to support a flight, however.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

DAL767400ER

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:15 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 1):
Isn't AA using all of the international gates now because of the terminal construction?

Not sure if AA is using those gates, but due to the construction, at least 4 gates JAX are currently inoperable, 2 each on A and C last I heard, and that's quite obviously limiting gate capacity.
Besides which, the "international terminal" at JAX is rather small, I'm not sure they could actually handle any charter flight coming in from Europe. Having said that, I agree that JAX won't be seeing int'l longhaul flights before 2009 or whenever the new terminal will actually be finished.

N312RC

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:32 am

JAX most recently had an LTU A330-300 that was operating DUS-MIA (LT900) divert here due to an engine failure. Passengers were bused to the "international" terminal (the rooms under the end of the C-concourse) and processed. All in all it took about 3-4 hours to process maybe 5-6 busloads of Germans. It's currently not practical.

I did hear at a time that BA was interested in starting service here as a tag on to their TPA service (something like LGW-TPA-JAX-TPA-LGW) but the airport authority management at the time did not want to play hardball with BA, and declined the offer. BA's North American reservation center is in Jacksonville, so I see this as the most probable of all scenarios.

Charters on the other hand, I dont think the city could support European charters on its own. There is not enough interest in the local attractions in Europe, and the cruise port isnt big enough (most European cruise passengers connect to JAX through larger airports). If the cruise port were to gain notariety (which they are talking about expanding it), I could maybe see something happening one day.... But not for quite a while.

Jacksonville is becoming, ever so slowly, a burgeoning business/leisure destination, but it will take some time. People are choosing it for its low cost of living and relatively (in comparison to the rest of Florida) hassle free experience (less traffic, less people, etc..) It's quiet Florida.

Cubsrule

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting N312RC (Reply 3):
I did hear at a time that BA was interested in starting service here as a tag on to their TPA service (something like LGW-TPA-JAX-TPA-LGW)

That eliminates the need for FIS at JAX... perhaps that would be more practical. What are the international facilities to be like in the new terminal?

SLCUT2777

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:46 am

Charters on the other hand, I dont think the city could support European charters on its own. There is not enough interest in the local attractions in Europe, and the cruise port isnt big enough (most European cruise passengers connect to JAX through larger airports). If the cruise port were to gain notariety (which they are talking about expanding it), I could maybe see something happening one day.... But not for quite a while.

Keep in mind that JAX is in the northern part of Florida and not in the Tropical Savannah climate that most who frequent places like MIA, FLL, PBI & RSW are accustomed to in Florida. It is far enough north of Florida's "Gold Coast" (MIA, FLL, PBI) that it has very limited viability as a cruise port. Perhaps maybe to the Bahamas, T&C's, or the north coasts of Hispaniola and Cuba (if it ever becomes open to U.S. flag lines) and the Keys. JAX is just too far north to hit Puerto Rico, The Virgin Islands and the Leeward's which feature the marquee ports-of-call that anyone embarking on a cruise wants to visit. Most European charters for cruises will likely still be going into MIA, FLL & SJU.
On a side note Canada could actually see an upswing in the cruise market this winter since the Canadian $$$ is now on par with it's U.S. counterpart. In the past cruises have been prohibitively costly to Canadians and they've had to hole up for their Caribbean tropical winter holidays in less expensive all-inclusives in POP and PUJ.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

DAL767400ER

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:12 am

I did hear at a time that BA was interested in starting service here as a tag on to their TPA service (something like LGW-TPA-JAX-TPA-LGW) but the airport authority management at the time did not want to play hardball with BA, and declined the offer. BA's North American reservation center is in Jacksonville, so I see this as the most probable of all scenarios.

Backtracking from TPA? Doesn't sound like a real efficient scenario.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 4):
What are the international facilities to be like in the new terminal?

Impossible to say. JAX' website isn't exactly helpful as far as answering that question goes. Heck, that website doesn't even mention how many gates the new JAX will have.

Cubsrule

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:10 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 6):
JAX' website isn't exactly helpful as far as answering that question goes.

The website is useless with respect to just about every aspect of the construction... It's kind of a shame. They've done a great job with what they've done so far, and I definitely have high hopes for the remainder of the project.

DAL767400ER

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 7):
They've done a great job with what they've done so far, and I definitely have high hopes for the remainder of the project.

Most definitely. Granted, I sadly haven't been to JAX in almost two years, but just having the centralised security checkpoint in the central part of the new airside terminal already was a MAJOR improvement over the seperate checkpoints in the 3 concourses.

beefstew25

Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 1):
If MLB can get LT, then in principle the proximity of SFB shouldn't be a complete obstacle.

Don't hold your breath on the LTU service to MLB. Seems the tour company is a little creepy:

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...0071017/BREAKINGNEWS/71017037/1086

Fair use:

Calls for a special airport authority meeting followed an announcement Wednesday morning by the airport’s attorney, Don Nohrr, that the company, M-Touristik, is in default on a scheduled payment of 200,000 Euros (about $284,000) to LTU International Airways, the German air carrier that is supposed to provide the 320-seat Airbus 330 for the flights.
MLB

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos