Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

SQA380's Capt. Ting: A380 Created By God

Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:31 pm

Quote:
"Je ne suis qu'une personne chanceuse, un pilote béni d'avoir été choisi pour faire voler cet avion. Les ingénieurs en sont les créateurs, mais c'est Dieu qui est capable de concevoir les personnes qui l'ont créé, c'est une création de Dieu", note avec humilité cet homme de 56 ans d'origine malaisienne.

Translation:
"I am only a lucky man, a pilot who is blessed to have been chosen to make this plane fly. The engineers are its creator but it is God who is capable of conceiving those who have created it, so this is God's creation" says with humility this 56 yeear old man from Malay backround.

Captain Robert Ting is the chief pilot for the whole Singapore Airlines A380 fleet.

He said he sees in this giant of the airs a "creation of God" and he needs not have any personal pride for holding his position.

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2007...n-l-A380-une-creation-de-Dieu.html
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

alberchico

RE: SQA380's Capt. Ting: A380 Created By God

Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:37 pm

well to be fair God did create the laws of gravity and physics making flight possible. Anyway in Asia people in general are superstitious....
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Gr8Circle

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:02 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 1):
Anyway in Asia people in general are superstitious....

It's got nothing to do with superstition...just his way of describing with awe, what he feels about the A380.....

Pope

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:20 pm

One would think that if God could create the universe and everything in it in 7 days, then the A380 shouldn't be 2 years late.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Bozo

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:30 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

lol Big grin
Virtus Et Honor - S.P.Q.R.

APYu

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):
One would think that if God could create the universe and everything in it in 7 days, then the A380 shouldn't be 2 years late.

Fantastic!!
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

bond007

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:40 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

LOL .... now that is good!

...especially considering your username.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:47 pm

I wonder if any of the Airbus management VIPs will read this. Some of them may go on the forums un-noticed.
Would be great if they did.  Big grin

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

Pope

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:06 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 6):
LOL .... now that is good! ...especially considering your username.

Quoting APYu (Reply 5):
Fantastic!!

Quoting Bozo (Reply 4):
lol

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 7):
I wonder if any of the Airbus management VIPs will read this. Some of them may go on the forums un-noticed.
Would be great if they did.

Thank you all. I hope everyone takes this for what is was - a funny quip. I certainly meant nothing mean by it.

I think the A380 is a magnificent aircraft and I'm very glad that Airbus and Boeing are both here to push the other to be better. Competition is good for the industry. This is Airbus's month. Let's tip our hats off to them and admire what they've built. In a couple of months it will be Boeing's turn. I think way too many people get caught up in A v B wars.

I know that I like aviation and the A380 is certainly a part of aviation history.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

PanAm747

Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Well, I would certainly say then, in agreeing with Captain Ting, that God has been busy:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Lockett
View Large View Medium

Photo © Suresh A. Atapattu

View Large View Medium

Photo © EDDL Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © David O. Hill

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fred Seggie - WorldAirImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ralf Manteufel

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Townsend - DavidTownsendImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Rainer Spoddig

And of course, MY personal favorites of "God's handiwork":

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Seemann
View Large View Medium

Photo © Marc Lehmann

Note that "what the Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away"...

RIP to Pan Am and TWA.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

hodja

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:21 pm

Nonsense.

Vega9000

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:36 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
He said he sees in this giant of the airs a "creation of God"

No it is not! This is what happens when you put many A340's in LHR. The most fit adapt to their surroundings, and evolve into an A380. Darwin's evolution at it's best....

well to be fair God did create the laws of gravity and physics making flight possible

checkmark 
Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.

yowza

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:36 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

That's the trouble with outsourcing to the French  Wink

Quoting Hodja (Reply 10):
Nonsense

I would have to say that I find Asian people are a touch more superstitious.
Be it lucky 8s, unlucky 4s, induced births for lucky birthdays...

YOWza

AirTranTUS

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

is God who is capable of conceiving those who have created it

But you see, God indirectly created the A380 (see original quote). He conceived of the people who did create it, but those people were not made perfect, so the A380 is late.
I love ASO!

Reggaebird

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:45 pm

I always get nervous when people start invoking the name of God in relation to machines. You know, there was another mega-machine for which there were such invocations of "God" and "the almighty". It too, was a fascinating and "advanced" piece of European technology in its time. It was none other than RMS Titanic.

Reggaebird

Desh

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:06 am

I usually dont quote a reply with odd numbers ... but I ll endure His wrath by saying this ... superstition got nothing to do with the statement - "pious" maybe the word you are looking for ... and you will find a lot of those in the US as well.

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

I wish they had a oscar Emoticon - would belong to you right now but make do with this....  goldmedal 
"History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again." - Kurt Vonnegut

Zephyrus

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting Reggaebird (Reply 14):
I always get nervous when people start invoking the name of God in relation to machines.

I couldn't agree with you more, Reggaebird.
Which is why I never could forget a post you made back in 2005 under a thread named "Why Do People Expect The A380 To Fail?"

Let me quote you verbatim:

Quote:
All I can say is thank god for Boeing planes. Without them, we would all be flying in Junkers and Kawasaki planes now....

Big grin Big grin Big grin
"The dreaded seven-engine approach" (B-52 on final w/ one engine shut down)

Seafleet

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:22 am

I always get nervous when people start invoking the name of God in relation to machines. You know, there was another mega-machine for which there were such invocations of "God" and "the almighty". It too, was a fascinating and "advanced" piece of European technology in its time. It was none other than RMS Titanic.

Reggaebird

As one whose Great Grandfather perished on the Titanic I would have to say that the name of "Murphy" and his damned law might be more appropriate when it comes to mechanical creations.  Smile

Roger

lrdc9

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

Nice zing.
Just say NO to scabs.

georgiaame

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:39 am

Sorry, but God is an American, and this is a French aircraft. God wrote it, I believe it, that ends it.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

Airbus A380

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:50 am

I'm not sure if Capt Robert Ting having a Malay background, actually means:

- he was raised by a Malay family or,
- he was born in Malaysia or,
- he's a Muslim convert.

In any case, his remarks reflects those of what Muslims generally believe. It is by God's will that something that huge is able to fly.

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

Indeed. F-WWOW should have been completed in less than a minute, and the rest of the orders in less than an hour.

incitatus

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:17 am

I always get nervous when people start invoking the name of God in relation to machines

Airbus made many mistakes in the creation of the A380. However, it has not made the same mistakes of the Creator. In the A380 the entertainment system and the waste disposal system are well separated and insulated from each other. Great move Airbus! The Creator is envious!
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

docpepz

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:27 am

Isn't it quite obvious that Captain Robert Ting is not of Malay/Muslim origin? Robert (Christian name) Ting (Chinese sirname) strongly suggests that he is a Chinese Singaporean.

I thought his comments were more reflective of an evangelical christian than a muslim though.

Also with reference to the Titanic, the thinking of the day was even God couldn't sink it, not that God created it.

Airbus A380

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:00 am

Obviously he is Chinese. But since the thread began with...

says with humility this 56 yeear old man from Malay backround.

I was just thinking of what it actually meant. I'm inclined to think that he is a Malaysian Chinese.

It doesn't matter that if he says that because he's Christian or Jew or Muslim. I'm merely stating the fact the we Muslims also believe in God's will that allowed many things created by humans to be a reality.

And name doesn't do much in determining one's religion. There are many in this part of the world, for instance, who used unconventional names as Muslims. The most immediate name in this instance that I can think of is Christine Hakim, a devout Muslim actress from Indonesia who is actively involved in the recovery efforts in the tsunami-devastated Aceh. Isn't Christine a supposedly Christian name?

Cheers  Smile

futurecaptain

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:16 am

Quoting Airbus A380 (Reply 20):
It is by God's will that something that huge is able to fly.

No, it uses the same principles of flight as choppers. It's so ugly the Earth repels it.  Smile
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

crj200faguy

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:16 am

If God made the A380, does that mean the devil made the regional jet??  Smile

n710ps

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 21):
entertainment system and the waste disposal system are well separated and insulated from each other. Great move Airbus! The Creator is envious!

Thank you very much to both of you. Collectively you now owe me a new laptop computer as well as pint of beer as I just squirted it through my nose and mouth all over the place.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

ssflyboy25

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting Bozo (Reply 4):

Airbus made many mistakes in the creation of the A380. However, it has not made the same mistakes of the Creator. In the A380 the entertainment system and the waste disposal system are well separated and insulated from each other. Great move Airbus! The Creator is envious!

LOL spot on!!!

Norcal773

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 9):
would

You forgot this baby...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Agustin Anaya

Quoting Pope (Reply 8):
would

rotfl  Good one.

Any word on whether this captain was Philsquares?  biggrin 
If you're going through hell, keep going

milan320

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

Oh come on, he's been resting since then and hasn't done much since ...  Wink
/Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)

asteriskceo

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:46 am

When God is associated with huge machinery, people get too cocky.

"God himself could not sink this ship!"?

Sounds familiar...

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:52 am

This is also true for Concorde.

A Continental Airlines DC10 dropped a strip of titanium on the runway and the gracious lady went in flames.
We know the rest of the story.

Later came a man named NOEL FORGEARD, at the time CEO of Airbus. Him and some of his "friends" decided that Concorde would never fly again and Airbus would stop supplying the much needed spare parts or at least increase the cost of the spare parts exponentially.

Again we know the rest of the story. They even refused to keep at least one of the frames in flying condition for air shows or special flights.

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 9):
Note that "what the Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away"...

Bohlman

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:06 am

Quoting Airbus A380 (Reply 20):
In any case, his remarks reflects those of what Muslims generally believe. It is by God's will that something that huge is able to fly.

Let's hope the Airbus engineers didn't purposely make one mistake in the design like the Persian weavers of antiquity to show that nothing can be perfect unless created directly by God.

However, it has not made the same mistakes of the Creator. In the A380 the entertainment system and the waste disposal system are well separated and insulated from each other.

Oh, it's so true. I could say something about "making the best of the circumstances" but anything less veiled than that might get a "Request Deletion". Very funny nonetheless!
I'm not pro-Boeing or pro-Airbus, I'm pro-crew all the way.

Reggaebird

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:26 am

Quoting Zephyrus (Reply 16):
I always get nervous when people start invoking the name of God in relation to machines.

I couldn't agree with you more, Reggaebird.
Which is why I never could forget a post you made back in 2005 under a thread named "Why Do People Expect The A380 To Fail?"

Let me quote you verbatim:

Quote:
All I can say is thank god for Boeing planes. Without them, we would all be flying in Junkers and Kawasaki planes now....

Zephyrus,

I suspect that you are a bit confused about my two comments or that you are simply trying to score yourself some "points" on A.net. When I said "thank god for Boeing planes", I was making the point that American flying machines were instrumental in defeating the Axis powers. Without that contribution, the Axis powers might have dominated the rest of the world. That is very different than suggesting that "God" has bestowed a machine with particular qualities or invincibility. Therefore, I continue to stand by both comments.

Reggaebird               

[Edited 2007-10-17 00:50:22]

Ellehammer

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:34 am

Why all this invoking of a hypothetical "god" figure?

The A380 is an example of what human rationality can achieve when we do NOT go around obsessing with superstition. It is a splendid example of what science, measurements, observations, ingenuity, cooperation, etc. can result in.

For millenia humanity wallowed around in religious obscurity with not much to show for it. In just a few hundred years with all the mumbo-jumbo put on the backburner we have witnessed incredible progress. The A380 is an example of Man's fantastic powers of thought and action. Credit where credit is due.

Reggaebird

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:47 am

Quoting Asteriskceo (Reply 30):
When God is associated with huge machinery, people get too cocky.

"God himself could not sink this ship!"?

Sounds familiar...

I completely agree with you Asteriskceo. I must do a check to see if "God" was invoked by some engineer or airline executive in relation to the de Havilland Comet as well.

Reggaebird

[Edited 2007-10-17 01:08:26]

baroque

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting Vega9000 (Reply 11):
He said he sees in this giant of the airs a "creation of God"

No it is not! This is what happens when you put many A340's in LHR. The most fit adapt to their surroundings, and evolve into an A380. Darwin's evolution at it's best....

Good point Vega. We must work out how much variation is built into the 340 to be able to determine how long it took for the 380 to arise by natural selection. If it takes a shorter time to evolve a 787, I think we have to assume that the inherent variability in the 767 is higher than that in the 340

I always get nervous when people start invoking the name of God in relation to machines

Another good point, but then the Creator might do better if he or she were allowed to try again. However, let us fervently pray that nobody tries a wireless waste disposal system.  Wow!  Wow!

Burkhard

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:23 am

One of the best jokes I read the last days, thanks!

Just imagine that when it comes to cosmology, these 7 days transfrom into something like 12 billion years, so what are two years compared to that?

On the more philosophical aspect: The ability of mankind to have a vision is something I would connect to God. And the vision to make the A380 and the vision to make the 787 and... therefore comes from a very deep source above us.

Bofredrik

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:01 am

well to be fair God did create the laws of gravity and physics making flight possible.

Can you explain more about how you find that out?

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:17 am

... and the vision to make Concorde!  veryhappy 

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 37):
the vision to make the A380 and the vision to make the 787 and...

Et Dieu créa Concorde...

autothrust

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:20 am

He is just proud that he can soon fly the most complex and biggest,powerful passanger jet in aviation history, called "superjumbo" or A380.  Big grin Let him have the fun.  cloudnine 

Btw he is not the only one, several LH pilots declared they almost can't wait to get their hands on the sidestick and fly the A380.
Flown on: DC-9, MD-80, Fokker 100, Bae 146 Avro, Boeing 737-300, 737-400, 747-200, 747-300,747-400, 787-9, Airbus A310, A319, A320, A321, A330-200,A330-300, A340-313, A380, Bombardier CSeries 100/300, CRJ700ER/CRJ900, Embraer 190.

glideslope

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:29 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

Watch out for the lightning now!!!  devil 
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

brightcedars

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:43 am

God didn't create the A380, man did. And yes, general belief accepts the principle that God created man.

When God created flight, millions of years ago, birds already ran on biofuel, were super-efficient, and 100% recyclable.

Still a long way to go until man's creation matches those specs. God bless the A380 and all those who take seat.

Starglider

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:57 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

There might be an explanation for the 2 year delay though, to quote Ambrose Bierce:

"ARREST: Formally to detain one accused of unusualness.

God made the world in six days and was arrested on the seventh."

Starglider

sk909

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:08 am

God doesn't exist...!!
Life's for Living!

distanthorizon

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:16 am

On a more serious note, it is wonderful to see such a compliment (and that's what it is) from someone who actually work with the plane.

In fact, the A380 has been receiving nothing but excellent remarks from everyone who had actually contact with the bird or its real performance - be it CEO's, pilots or passengers.
As a friend of mine put it the other day: it might be late, but it appears to be damn good!

Airbus might also be totally right: putting the plane flying will be the best possible advertising. John Leahy must be happy!

DH
Regards
Nelson SE

sparkingwave

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:24 am

Perhaps the A380 symbolizes the success of cooperation among so many people, especially the French and the Germans! When people put their minds together to build something to help others, this is certainly one spectacular result.

Just one question - if the A380 is God's plane, then what would be a plane made by the Devil? Inquiring minds wanna know.

SparkingWave ~~~
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:26 am

Thank GOD they have got Noel Forgeard out of the way!  Angry

Quoting SparkingWave (Reply 46):
Perhaps the A380 symbolizes the success of cooperation among so many people, especially the French and the Germans!

siromega

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:37 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):

That is both eponysterical and funny in its own right.

Burkhard

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:46 am

Quoting SparkingWave (Reply 46):
then what would be a plane made by the Devil?

Devil doesn not exist. That's an evil invention of criminal subjects 1000 years ago which misused religion for power and commerce.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos