djmatthews
Topic Author

Flyglobespan Has Its Etops License Suspended

Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:59 pm

The link to the article is here. Does this mean that all flights tofrom the USA will have to be suspended?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7051079.stm

MAN23R

RE: Flyglobespan Has Its Etops License Suspended

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:12 pm

looks like flyglobespan are falling apart at the seems, the airline will start looking into this immediatly as all US will been suspended as a result of the actions carried out by the CAA, the airline know sthat rerouting US flights via iceland, greenland and canada will be too much hassle.

the future looks very grim for the airline, they are currently in the process of closing UK bases, Ringway has been named...

scott

YHMYYZspotter

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:33 pm

At the bottom of the article:

"As well as using its own aircraft on transatlantic routes, Flyglobespan leases aircraft and flight crews from other airlines which can continue to fly to the US."

Does this mean that any leased aircraft can continue flying for them across the Atlantic such as Icelandair?
I am not too familiar but curious to know as I was on a GSM flight that was Icelandair leased.

MAN23R

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Quoting YHMYYZspotter (Reply 2):
At the bottom of the article:

"As well as using its own aircraft on transatlantic routes, Flyglobespan leases aircraft and flight crews from other airlines which can continue to fly to the US."

Does this mean that any leased aircraft can continue flying for them across the Atlantic such as Icelandair?
I am not too familiar but curious to know as I was on a GSM flight that was Icelandair leased.

Im going to take this article very lightly, we all know that the media always try fabricate things, i would rather get this confirmed by someone in the know, all i can say is that its going to very a very hard few weeks for the company...

beeweel15

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting MAN23R (Reply 3):
Im going to take this article very lightly, we all know that the media always try fabricate things, i would rather get this confirmed by someone in the know, all i can say is that its going to very a very hard few weeks for the company...

There was a 737-800 at JFK a couple days ago at JFK either Monday or Tuesday.

MAN23R

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:46 pm

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 4):
Quoting MAN23R (Reply 3):

There was a 737-800 at JFK a couple days ago at JFK either Monday or Tuesday.

thanks beeweel15!

YHMYYZspotter

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:51 pm

I just checked the arrivals board at YHM for today and both GSM flights, one from Exceter and one from Glasgow/Manchester are both still scheduled to arrive too.

So they are still operating over the Atlantic somewhat. Anyone from GSM know anything more?

miamix707

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:08 pm

Flyglobespan came into SFB today as usual with the 763.

MAN23R

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:11 pm

looks like they're still operating a normal scheduled service,maybe the suspension hasn't started yet?

ScottishLaddie

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:41 pm

SFB and YHM aren't done by GSM metal, they're done by Neos and Icelandair so I can only assume aren't affected. LPL-JFK and GLA-BOS will be the ones affected, but they are cut at the end of the month anyway.

BlueShamu330s

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting MAN23R (Reply 1):
looks like flyglobespan are falling apart at the seems, the airline will start looking into this immediatly as all US will been suspended as a result of the actions carried out by the CAA, the airline know sthat rerouting US flights via iceland, greenland and canada will be too much hassle.

Codswallop after "falling apart at the seams".

Neos and Icelandair will take the strain, whilst the 73s will slot in as and when needed.

Globespan's only bit of good luck is that this happened at the start of winter scheduling and not at the summer peak, and the fact that this is a temporary suspension due for review before the end of the month. Me does think though, things are not good in Globespanland.

Shamu
Flying around India

rdwootty

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:46 pm

As a travel professional I have been very keen to promote Flyglobespan in 2007 . This activity has ceased and all the brochures have been dumped in the bin.The reason is clear that the ""operator" cannot cope with being a longhaul airline.Complaints from my clients have been about the advertised services being non existant ie Premium economy checkin at Hamilton...Three flights and one checkin girl for all classes and all flights?? I dont think so. Late or non existant flight seat changes.....I dont think so Cancelling flights within the balance due date.....I dont think so....Loss of ABTA membership...No security on the bookings.........Such a pity as IF they had got the operation right the product was great with the three option flight programme.. It is dissapointing but I must protect my customers so no more globespan of any description and I am surer that there are many others who feel the same.... I regret this as No competition is no good for the industry

TheSorcerer

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:53 pm

Well let's hope that the airline don't collapse within the next week, or I'll be stuck in Mallorca  Wink lol

Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

OA260

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 11):
As a travel professional I have been very keen to promote Flyglobespan in 2007 . This activity has ceased and all the brochures have been dumped in the bin.

Many Irish agents have done the same . The company I work in has a retail section aswell as a corporate section and they have done the same and have no confidence in this shambles of a Airline also. This Summer was a nightmare and there are still alot of angry agents and passengers .

This was predicted by Kaitak on the Irish thread 2 days ago .

[Edited 2007-10-18 14:32:15]

KELPkid

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:31 pm

So, how did they loose their ETOPS? Did they have an incident or two attributed to maintenance?
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

tdscanuck

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting Djmatthews (Thread starter):
Does this mean that all flights tofrom the USA will have to be suspended?

All the ones on GSM aircraft, yes.

Quoting YHMYYZspotter (Reply 2):

Yes.

Tom.

Damian

Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:02 am

The sooner Globespan sticks to its bread and butter routes to popular European leisure destinations from EDI and GLA the better for them and their passengers. This transatlantic nightmare of theirs has to stop!

GCDEG

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 15):

No. The aircraft just have to take a track closer to land.

Quoting MAN23R (Reply 1):
looks like flyglobespan are falling apart at the seems, the airline will start looking into this immediatly as all US will been suspended as a result of the actions carried out by the CAA

Hardly falling apart and no, flights have not been suspended.

Quoting YHMYYZspotter (Reply 6):
So they are still operating over the Atlantic somewhat.

Yes. Flights continue as normal they are just being routed closer to land.

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 10):
Neos and Icelandair will take the strain

Neos and Icelandair are finishing up very soon and GSMs third 767 G-CEOD is stepping in as of tomorrow to operate the GLA-SFB flights.

GCDEG
The best thing invented - Winglets!

wjcandee

Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:01 pm

Quoting GCDEG (Reply 17):
Neos and Icelandair are finishing up very soon and GSMs third 767 G-CEOD is stepping in as of tomorrow to operate the GLA-SFB flights.

I'm sure the passengers will enjoy the extra couple of hours of flight time.

TuRbUleNc3

Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:24 pm

Quoting TheSorcerer (Reply 12):
Well let's hope that the airline don't collapse within the next week, or I'll be stuck in Mallorca

I could think of worse places Big grin

nema

Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:55 pm

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 11):
I have been very keen to promote Flyglobespan in 2007 . This activity has ceased and all the brochures have been dumped in the bin.

Must have been difficult for you when punters would in some cases probably blame your business and go elswhere in the future when its not even your fault.

Its sad that its more than likely due to bad management at this airline and not bad fortune and, a shame when it was showing some great prices. I was looking to fly from Doncaster Robin Hood to Toronto at some point in the future, just happens that Hamilton is exactly where i need to be at that end...Looks like it wont be with Flyglobespan tho.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

tonymctigue

Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:49 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 14):
So, how did they loose their ETOPS? Did they have an incident or two attributed to maintenance?

That is what I'm curious to find out. How do you loose an ETOPS cert? Has any other airline done so in the past? I'm no airline expert, but surely to god if you are an airline that operates TA services with twinjets then holding onto your ETOPS cert for dear life must be your #1 priority whatever it takes.

Yes. Flights continue as normal they are just being routed closer to land.

Will this drive up costs e.g. more fuel burn, paying flight crews for longer hours, making additional fuel stops, etc? I assume though, as others have pointed out, that this suspension only effects GSM owned & operated AC & not AC leased from other carriers to operate on behalf of GSM.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

jmc757

Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:01 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 21):
That is what I'm curious to find out. How do you loose an ETOPS cert? Has any other airline done so in the past? I'm no airline expert, but surely to god if you are an airline that operates TA services with twinjets then holding onto your ETOPS cert for dear life must be your #1 priority whatever it takes.

The CAA will not release the details, its confidential. However, they have said that Globespan are the first British airline in 15 years to have their ETOPS license suspended, and that "it is not done lightly".

The longer flight time will cost Globespan a lot more money yes, not a good situation for anyone really. Its a good job the 767s in India are earning GSM a shedload of cash...

acelanzarote

Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Anyone head anything about GSM shutting Aberdeen and Stansted bases to save money?

Lots of rumors going around non seem very good. Shame the Airline was great but
has so lost its way and tried too much too quick. Just wish they had stuck with Europe
and left the long haul alone..

Perhaps some changes in the management are required???
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

wjcandee

Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:19 pm

How do you loose an ETOPS cert?

You either: (1) fail to follow the procedures required for ETOPS or (2) you fail to properly maintain documentation that you have done so. Either one is equally as bad, because the whole surveillance system is based upon documenting everything and following the documented procedures.

To blame it on a subcontractor suggests that some maint subcontractor at some station didn't follow the special ETOPS procedures when doing turnarounds or RON checks, or didn't document it properly. But the whole point is that you CAN'T just blame the subcontractor because you are charged with ENSURING that the subcontractor does what it is supposed to do.

It's your bar. It's your responsibility to make sure the bartender checks ID's, and its your license that gets pulled if he doesn't. It's about management, supervision, and accountability.

[Edited 2007-10-19 13:20:20]

extspotter

Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:15 pm

How many of their TA aircraft are owned by them?

From what I know already, NOC will be affected because it is a 738, but how about the 757s?
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

by738

Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting EXTspotter (Reply 25):
How many of their TA aircraft are owned by them?

From what I know already, NOC will be affected because it is a 738, but how about the 757s?

The NOC/BOS is operated by the 737-700. They own one 757 G-CJEM. The other two 757s are from Icelandair.

PlymSpotter

Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

I'm wondering if this has had anything to do, perhaps in part, with their MAN-CPT flights and the concerns from the crew over the operation and lack of adequate rest time in CPT before returning? Doesn't bode well for the airline that's for sure, wouldn't surprise me if they are not here in a years time, especially considering the poor reputation they now have with so many holidaymakers.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

tdscanuck

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 15):

No. The aircraft just have to take a track closer to land.

Fair point. They can't fly any ETOPS flights with GSM aircraft. If they can get a flight routing that isn't ETOPS, then they're still free to do that.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 27):
I'm wondering if this has had anything to do, perhaps in part, with their MAN-CPT flights and the concerns from the crew over the operation and lack of adequate rest time in CPT before returning?

There are no crew rest requirements for ETOPS beyond what already exists for normal flying, so that can't have been the reason to pull the ETOPS cert but not the operating cert.

Tom.

RickYHM

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:41 am

Quoting NEMA (Reply 20):
Its sad that its more than likely due to bad management at this airline and not bad fortune and, a shame when it was showing some great prices. I was looking to fly from Doncaster Robin Hood to Toronto at some point in the future, just happens that Hamilton is exactly where i need to be at that end...Looks like it wont be with Flyglobespan tho.

This is interesting. Talking to the people at YHM, they say that this does not effect the flights to YHM only the US flights. Flyglobespan already was using the more northerly route to come to YHM. The B737-800 where already stopping in Iceland for fuel.

As to YHM’s traffic with Flyglobespan, the cancellation of the winter service is the lack of aircraft. November will be down to one flight a week to Manchester and Glasgow with Flyglobespan’s only B757 and will pick up again in April. As late as a week ago, the head of Flyglobespan met with the management of YHM and told them they will be announcing next summer’s program out of YHM soon. It will be almost as big as last year with more non-stop flights and get away from multiple stop flights. They are also planning a larger winter program for 2008/09. They are also talking about making YHM their North American base.

As to making money, they made tons out of YHM as the planes where almost full or full on every flight. They may have had problems, but this was mostly because they where too successful out of YHM. Their short haul seems to be OK and was just their long haul that they had trouble getting their act together. Hopefully they will get the bug worked out this winter.

YHM is going through expansion of both the departure lounge and international arrivals and customs area because of Flyglobespan.

nema

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting RickYHM (Reply 29):
Talking to the people at YHM, they say that this does not effect the flights to YHM

Last time i made this trip 2 years ago i went Air Transat from LGW to Toronto. (BHX flights were booked up) Gatwick is a nightmare from here in the midlands, but i will be reluctant to try Flyglobespan until i saw better correction on delay problems.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

BestWestern

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:53 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 24):
But the whole point is that you CAN'T just blame the subcontractor

GSM have done this twice before in the press - blamed their icelandic contractor, and their JFK handling agents.

they made tons out of YHM as the planes where almost full or full on every flight

Full flights doesnt mean profits.

too successful out of YHM.

Never heard of an airline being too successful

It will be almost as big as last year

So, it was so successful, yet next year will have less flights in comparison to this year????
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

aerorobnz

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:07 am

AI has one of the Globespan 763s as well, it might affect their operation as well. It's a pity, because any ex NZ 763s in their fleet were maintained to a very high level, and were certainly always ETOPs certified.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

bennett123

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 pm

Perhaps someone can clarify the effect of this suspension.

Which of the following are affected.

1. Aircraft owned by third party, but operated by GSM.

2.Aircraft owned and operated by GSM.

2. Aircraft owned by GSM, but operated by third party.

I had assumed that it was 1/2 by not 3.

David

jmc757

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:11 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 33):
Perhaps someone can clarify the effect of this suspension.

Which of the following are affected.

1. Aircraft owned by third party, but operated by GSM.

2.Aircraft owned and operated by GSM.

3. Aircraft owned by GSM, but operated by third party.

I had assumed that it was 1/2 by not 3.

Flyglobespan have had their ETOPS withdrawn, so any aircraft they own and/or operate they cannot fly ETOPS with, so 1 and do are definately affected. In theory, 3 is not affected as it would be operated by someone else under their AOC and ETOPS. I assume here you would be talking about the Air India flights. It all depends on whether Air India's or Globespan's AOC operate them, I thought Gloebspan did (crews etc) but may be wrong...

vivekman2006

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:07 pm

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 32):
AI has one of the Globespan 763s as well, it might affect their operation as well.

Two actually! G-CDPT and G-CEFG.

Does this ETOPS withdrawl affect the AI leased aircraft as well?

- Vivek

ConcordeBoy

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:09 pm

How do you loose an ETOPS cert?

Exceed the threshold of IFSDs and/or failure to maintain/adhere to/comply with operational and maintenance procedures, tend to be the big three.

Has any other airline done so in the past?

Many. Several though, particularly larger carriers, have been known to voluntarily withdraw ETOPS operation (usually on a specific model, as opposed to fleetwide) before they have it revoked. TG is probably the most prolific example thereof.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

ENU

Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:44 am

Virgin Nigeria will wet-lease a B767-300ER (G-CEOD) from Fly Globespan for the winter. It will probably be employed on the LOS-JFK route. Does someone know if the suspension affects this contract?

BAOPS777

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting Vivekman2006 (Reply 35):
Two actually! G-CDPT and G-CEFG.

Does this ETOPS withdrawl affect the AI leased aircraft as well?

I know that 1 a/c has already positioned back from BOM it operated as GSM763P on 19 October

Souce of info: http://www.taxiwayalpha.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4365

So dont know if it is affecting them

by188b

Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:41 am

Now reported on another thread that GSM has its ETOPS licence back effective immediately.
next flights : LHR-SOF BA, SOF-DOH-KAT QR, KAT-HKG KA, HKG-LHR VS, LHR-ATH-LHR BA, LHR-CDG-LHR AF, LHR-MAD-LHR IB/BA

GCDEG

Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:52 pm

Quoting By188b (Reply 39):
Now reported on another thread that GSM has its ETOPS licence back effective immediately.

This is indeed correct.

GCDEG
The best thing invented - Winglets!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos