DAYflyer
Topic Author

Is A Forward Swept Wing Pax Plane Possible?

Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:12 pm

I have seen renditions of forward swept wing fighters many times, but I wondered if the concept has ever been tried in a pax design, or if it is even practicle?
One Nation Under God

LawnDart

RE: Is A Forward Swept Wing Pax Plane Possible?

Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:16 pm

The Hansajet was built as a business jet and small passenger jet.

Google or check this out:

http://www.flight-manuals-on-cd.com/Hansa.html

PiedmontINT

Re: Is A Forward Swept Wing Pax Plane Possible?

Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:19 pm

The Citation Bravo has what is the illusion of a forward swept wing. I always thought it was swept forward just a bit, however I believe they are just very straight at the leading edge and more of a knife edge on the trailing edge. It gives the appearance of a forward swept wing, to me at least. Big grin

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paolo Migliavacca

B2707SST

RE: Is A Forward Swept Wing Pax Plane Possible?

Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:52 pm

Quoting DAYflyer (Thread starter):
I have seen renditions of forward swept wing fighters many times, but I wondered if the concept has ever been tried in a pax design, or if it is even practicle?

The design is more aerodynamically efficient than a rear-swept wing, but the problem is that it is structurally unstable. As a forward-swept wing bends under load, the tips tend to twist upward, which increases the angle of attack, further loads the wing, and therefore further increases twist, until either the rigidity of the wing halts the twisting or the wing fails. This contrasts with the stable behavior of a rear-swept wing, in which the wingtips twist down under load and therefore unload themselves until an equilibrium is reached. The forward-swept wing has to be significantly stronger and therefore heavier.

For larger aircraft, the structural weight penalty of a forward-swept wing is greater than the aerodynamic benefits. Composite materials that can be tailored to resist certain stresses might help overcome the problem in future designs. On the other hand, the trend in wing design is toward higher loadings and higher aspect ratios, making tip twist harder to control.

Smaller aircraft like fighters tend to have relatively low aspect ratio wings that are more resistent to twisting moments, and they may also be dynamically unstable to begin, meaning they use artificial stability systems that could also counteract tip twist (e.g. by continuous adjustment of the ailerons).

--B2707SST

[Edited 2007-10-19 12:55:18]
Keynes is dead and we are living in his long run.

DAYflyer
Topic Author

Forward Sept Wing

Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:00 pm

Quoting B2707SST (Reply 3):

Thank you for the detailed explination of the limitations and challenges such a design would represent. It sounds like it wouldnt work.
One Nation Under God

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos