panaman
Topic Author

Don't Eat Fish On My Plane!

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:50 am

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=home&story=...content/pool/200710/122593997.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio - United Airlines was offering an apology to a Columbus family Friday who said they humiliated by a flight attendant and pilot.

"As you can see, I wear these holy fringes. I wear a kepa. My son wears a kepa," Robert Blum said, showing 10TVs Brittany Westbrook his orthodox Jewish attire. "And maybe that's what the steward saw. And I am sure it was. Because why did he single us out?"

Blum and his family had just settled into their seats on a United Airlines flight from Denver to Columbus when they prepared to eat a kosher meal they had brought onto a plane. The Blums bought the food from a restaurant, never expecting the fish dinner would cause a problem.

"He said, 'I don't want you eating that food on the plane,'" Blum said of a flight attendant.

Blum says the attendant told him passengers were complaining about the smell of the fish.
Sorry I moved from SXM, looking for a new house on Anguilla now!

Qatara340

RE: Don't Eat Fish On My Plane!

Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:20 am

Quoting Panaman (Thread starter):
COLUMBUS, Ohio - United Airlines was offering an apology to a Columbus family Friday who said they humiliated by a flight attendant and pilot.

They should not have apologized to them. Its rude to bring food that smells and disturb other passengers on the flight! The passengers should have apologized. They should have pre-ordered the Kosher food before getting on the plane. I bet the food smelled extremely bad and passengers complained a lot for the flight attendant to say such remarks.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

777klm

Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:33 am

I do agree with the fellow passengers that the smell of fish can be disgusting on board an aircraft. Most of the time airlines offer kosher-meals when booking a ticket (but I believe UA doesn't offer any free or pre-ordered meals on these flights, do they?). Perhaps the F/A could have asked it a little bit nicer...

Ever tried KLM's dutch herring with onions?  yuck 
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK

bok269

Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 1):
They should have pre-ordered the Kosher food before getting on the plane.

Not possible on UA. They only offer buy on board items, none of which are Kosher.

While I can understand that fish can stink and may bother other people, if it is something you are used to eating you may not notice the smell. Either way it is no reason to humiliate anyone (if what is described in the article indeed happened), and for that the airline owes the family an apology.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:06 pm

Might I suggest that a fairly quick method of disposing the food would have been to eat it...

It is amazing the simple solutions that exist...

As far as the odor... I can't imagine that it would really be worse than a number of other things I've had to put up with on planes... and no one was threatening those people with being tossed off.

Part of life is tolerance...

My opinion as a passenger... The Airline over-reacted.

MEA-707

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:34 pm

I know I might stir a pot here but that they throw in that they are Jewish I think they try to pull things out of proportion just with the purpose of making some money. Of course the last thing United wants is to be called anti Semetic and they rather throw a bag of money to these loudmouths to control PR damage. I think it's sort of blackmail by them. There is so much non smelling Kosher food they could have taken instead and noone would have bothered.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

RussianJet

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:10 pm

On one hand, I have some difficulty believing an FA said this:
"If you don't trash the food, I'll trash you. "

On the other hand:
"United Airlines told 10TV it is apologizing to the family, admitting the pilot and flight attendant acted inappropriately."

Hmm.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

TrvlnMan

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:47 pm

Fish does stink! Sometimes the smell of a tuna fish sandwich makes me want to puke! I think it's a classic case of embellishing the story to make it sound good..... as much as I don't like UA, I think the crews are very professional. It sounds a little "fishy" to me....

OHLHD

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm

"As you can see, I wear these holy fringes. I wear a kepa. My son wears a kepa,"

Yes and who cares. That gives him the right to do what ever he wants. No way. A jew is not different to any other kind of people. Why should other passengers suffer from the stinky fish just because he wants to eat it?

United Airlines was offering an apology to a Columbus family Friday who said they humiliated by a flight attendant and pilot.

That is a poor action by UA.

ltbewr

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:26 pm

UA doesn't offer Kosher or probably any other special religious or dietary needs specific foods to buy on board and probably the airport doesn't offer such foods. Thus pax with such dietary needs who will be on a relatively long flight will have to bring food on board. Of course, what a person may find acceptable as a food may be unacceptable to another and in this day and age of more crowded flights on smaller a/c, and more conflicts of those asserting their rights or beliefs to on a flight means more conflicts like this will continue to happen. Now the pax in this situation could have had more consideration in their choice of food for the circumstances of being on a air flight but one has to wonder why the f/a was so inconsiderate in her comments.

georgiaame

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:46 pm

Quoting 777KLM (Reply 2):
I do agree with the fellow passengers that the smell of fish can be disgusting on board an aircraft.

Similar experience many, many moons ago, but it wasn't fish in our case. A fellow landsmann in 16th Century garb brought a garlic pot roast sandwich aboard for dinner. I had thought the absence of water vapor eliminated any sense of smell at 37,000 feet transatlantic. Not so. And worse, we were all made well aware of the garlic, long after the sandwich was consumed. 30 years later, I can still recall that BA flight to London.

(My standard inflight picnic usually includes American caviar, creme freshe, shrimp, and decent chocolate cookies. Until Al Qaida started setting international inflight security rules, a small split of champagne was usually smuggled on board too. Not smelly, very tasty, and drives the FAs and First class people to distraction with envy)
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

davescj

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:04 pm

They should have pre-ordered the Kosher food before getting on the plane.

No meals on UA unless on 3.5 hrs, and Kosher is hit or miss at best. Since the airline allows food to be brought on board, the airline has to expect people are going to bring food the meets religious needs as well.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

sh0rtybr0wn

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:25 pm

Quoting 2175301 (Reply 4):
Part of life is tolerance...

My opinion as a passenger... The Airline over-reacted.

It always over reaction by somebody that kicks off these kind of threads. Tolerance and understanding is the key word when you cramped in a metal tube for hours.

It doesn't sound anti-Jewish , It sounds more like anti anti-fish smell incident. I love all seafood and I could eat 2 lobsters and 2 dozen clams on the half shell on a 3 hour flight. But, if the food started to smell fishy before during or after the meal, ( including wrappers, papers, containers that contained it ) It would be unpleasant for me, and all the pax sitting around me.

steeler83

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Quoting 777KLM (Reply 2):
I do agree with the fellow passengers that the smell of fish can be disgusting on board an aircraft.

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 14):
It doesn't sound anti-Jewish , It sounds more like anti anti-fish smell incident. I love all seafood and I could eat 2 lobsters and 2 dozen clams on the half shell on a 3 hour flight. But, if the food started to smell fishy before during or after the meal, ( including wrappers, papers, containers that contained it ) It would be unpleasant for me, and all the pax sitting around me.

I don't think this sounds anti-semetic either. Like both above posts state, the fish stunk, and I wouldn't feel very comfortable smelling that for two hours in a pressurized tube either...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:04 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 15):
I don't think this sounds anti-semetic either.

checkmark 

Instead of taking responsiblity, people prefer to play the victim. It is easier (and gets media attention (and a free trip, maybe)).
You can't cure stupid

TWA757

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:19 pm

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 5):
I know I might stir a pot here but that they throw in that they are Jewish I think they try to pull things out of proportion just with the purpose of making some money. Of course the last thing United wants is to be called anti Semetic and they rather throw a bag of money to these loudmouths to control PR damage. I think it's sort of blackmail by them. There is so much non smelling Kosher food they could have taken instead and noone would have bothered.

You're making a huge, huge generalization here. Yes, they are Jewish, but that's only one part of their identity; more importantly, not all Jews share the same views on every issue.

Do you know this family personally? Are you an expert on the Kosher food options that DEN offers? If you can't answer yes to both questions, it seems like you don't have much authority to make the kind of statements you've made.

If I'd been in the same situation, I'd want to make at least as much money as my airport meal had cost.

tf39

Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:15 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 15):
It doesn't sound anti-Jewish , It sounds more like anti anti-fish smell incident.

checkmark 

Too bad the passenger next to Mr. Blum didn't have a tube of durian paste to open up. Wonder if Mr. Blum would make a stink about that?

It's a catch 22 in that the airlines don't serve meals like they used to in order to save costs forcing passengers to resort to bringing their own culinary delights on board, smells and all. I'd like to think most passengers could apply some common sense and etiquette and think to themselves "maybe this fish smell might make others uncomfortable" and make another choice but we're all selfish to some extent. It's just easier to forgo personal responsibility and blame others for our actions and get 15 minutes of fame on the news and a.net.

RP TPA

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:09 pm

I think I'll book a flight to Tel Aviv on El Al, and bring a liverwurst sandwich, along with limberger cheese. All on the same plate, of course.

TWA757

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:14 pm

I'm not sure why this particular family is taking so much heat (at least from this group of A.net posters). I've been on planes many times near people with body odor, food that smells (it's quite natural for food to emit an odor), excess perfurme/cologne, etc. Why shouldn't they get kicked off, too?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's within a flight attendant's jurisdiction to remove someone from a flight because of the kind of food they brought onboard. As long as the passenger does not pose a threat to the security of the flight, how can they be justifiably removed from the plane?

I realize the story we're all discussing only quoted one side. But airlines usually don't comment on stories like these, unless they feel their employees were clearly in the right...

SOBHI51

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting TWA757 (Reply 25):
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's within a flight attendant's jurisdiction to remove someone from a flight because of the kind of food they brought onboard. As long as the passenger does not pose a threat to the security of the flight, how can they be justifiably removed from the plane?

So next time can i eat a Durian on board
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

TrvlnMan

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:48 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 26):
So next time can i eat a Durian on board

What's Durian?

tonystan

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:55 pm

QatarA340.....Have you ever wandered down the Y cabin of a Qatar Airways morning departure from CMB to DOH while the crew are passing out the fish breakfast????? That is an offence to anyones senses but sure its done daily on that route!!! Should they passengers be calling the crew and airline rude?
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

RicciPettit

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:59 pm

Sorry if already mentioned.

But the family could easily have ordered a Kosher meal that wasn't fish.
Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either!

GoAllegheny

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:01 pm

I don't get it - a lot of you folks complain about this guy like he's abusing the system, "doesn't have a case," etc. etc. but you're the ones with the thin skin. What's wrong with a guy buying dinner for his family and bringing it on the plane? Maybe he didn't have time to eat at the airport. Maybe he knew that United doesn't offer Kosher meals on these shorter flights. (And the non-Kosher "food" United serves on longer flights in Economy is largely disgusting.) Heck, he probably had one of the better meals on the flight. Yes, it probably smelled. So what. If you don't like it, rent your own jet. Do I like it when people bring their Big Mac and fries on the commuter train at night? No, I don't. I find the smell unpleasant but I don't ask them to toss it. That's life. Let the guy and his family eat his dinner, the smell will eventually disappear. And encourage him not to buy fish next time.

tf39

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting TrvlnMan (Reply 27):
What's Durian?

It's fruit native to Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei with a "very" interesting odor (wiki for more info). If you can get by the smell and actually taste it, some folks really enjoy it. Having tried it several times, I am not one of those folks.

As to the smell though, it is offensive enough to where it is banned in places (subways, hotels) so as not to offend people. I won't try to describe the smell but a mix of rotted flesh, vommit, really bad body odor is how I classify it (although the BO might be me  Wink )

If you ever have the chance to try it though, please do so. It will broaden your horizons  Big grin

TWA757

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:06 pm

If people don't think what the guy did was right, because it created an unpleasant situation for other passengers, then we should be kicking people off of planes who do the following:

Recline into my lap
Eat meat onboard (as a vegetarian, I don't enjoy the smell of meat)
Wear too much cologne/perfurme/deodorant
Don't wear ANY deodorant
Don't understand the rules of flying (wear your seat belt, don't be a difficult passenger, etc.)

And so on.

N1120A

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:08 pm

They should have pre-ordered the Kosher food before getting on the plane

No opportunity to do so

They should not have apologized to them. Its rude to bring food that smells and disturb other passengers on the flight!

Fish? There is fish served on airplanes all the time, even in United's own BOB boxes. It shouldn't be an issue.

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 3):
They only offer buy on board items, none of which are Kosher.

I wouldn't be so sure that they aren't. At least one, the right bite, is vegetarian other than the tuna fish, which his parve

Quoting TrvlnMan (Reply 27):
What's Durian?

A durian is a type of fruit from SE Asia that has a smell that most people who are not used to find repulsive.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

TrvlnMan

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting GoAllegheny (Reply 30):
I don't get it - a lot of you folks complain about this guy like he's abusing the system, "doesn't have a case," etc. etc

I think it's more a matter of how he claims he was treated by the crew, and what they said to him and his family.... We're not buying it.

TrvlnMan

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:20 pm

Quoting TF39 (Reply 31):
If you ever have the chance to try it though, please do so. It will broaden your horizons

After your discription, I think I'll pass. lol. Thanks!!  sour  -->  faint 

AeroWesty

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:22 pm

Quoting GoAllegheny (Reply 30):
I don't get it - a lot of you folks complain about this guy like he's abusing the system

Did you read the link? Mr. Blum accuses the f/a of singling him out, for nothing other than his religious dress, not for the food he brought onboard for his family to eat. If your defense against being asked not to eat smelly food on an airplane is to respond with "Can't you see we're Jewish?," it's not gonna fly (literally).
International Homo of Mystery

doug_or

Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
Fish? There is fish served on airplanes all the time, even in United's own BOB boxes. It shouldn't be an issue.

That is exactly what I wthought when I first saw this thread. United's yellow boxes have a small tin of tuna in them. While the idea of purposely arming passnegers with these little stink bombs always struck me as poorly thought out, it also relieves them of the moral high ground here.
When in doubt, one B pump off

lgbga

Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:15 pm

I'm so tired of reading of people's "pain and humiliation" in these kind of situations on aircraft. What kind of charmed lives do these people lead if this is the worst pain and humiliation they and or their kids will ever suffer in life? You were on a plane with people you will never ever see again. Get over it! You only draw more attention to yourselves to keep talking about it.

That said, I do believe you have the right to bring food on board. But I think people should try to be a little more considerate of others especially if you have to be in a metal tube, as others have said. I recently purchased food to bring on board and tried to buy something that didn't smell badly. Being Jewish doesn't give them any more rights than others on board.

If other passengers were complaining, isn't the FA obligated to say something? It it was said in that rude manner, then that was not right. They should apologize for being rude. But they should not apologize for doing their job and trying to satisfy other passengers. I have a hard time believing the FA and pilot were that rude. Did not someone else overhear? I think others passengers would be outraged if they heard a FA speaking to someone in that manner. Yet no one has come forward.

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 14):
It doesn't sound anti-Jewish

I agree.

bok269

Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:40 pm

I know I might stir a pot here but that they throw in that they are Jewish I think they try to pull things out of proportion just with the purpose of making some money

Congratulations. Mission accomplished. I can't fathom that people in this day and age still look at Jews and only think cheap. Just think about what you are suggesting: a family of Orthodox Jews would board a plane with food that MIGHT bother other people. Then, hope they complain to the F/A's and hope that the F/A's decide to make the pax throw it away. Than, hope that the F/A's are overly obnoxious about it. Jews are no more likely to sue over an incident like this than any other minority or ethnic group.

As a Jew, I disagree with using religion as the reason the F/A's were obnoxious about it. That being said, there is no reason the F/A's couldn't have treated the family with dignity and respect

bok269

Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:52 pm

Quoting RP TPA (Reply 23):
I think I'll book a flight to Tel Aviv on El Al, and bring a liverwurst sandwich, along with limberger cheese. All on the same plate, of course.

What does that accomplish? The family in this case was only trying to eat dinner. They did not mean to offend anyone or trample on someone else's beliefs.

I wouldn't be so sure that they aren't. At least one, the right bite, is vegetarian other than the tuna fish, which his parve

While you may be right about those options being available, keep in mind there are varying levels of Kashrut. Kosher Style, which I observe, means you cannot eat pork or shellfish, and can't mix meat and dairy (to varying degrees). People who keep Kosher Style typically aren't concerned with whether their food is certified Kosher. The next level would be those that only eat Kosher Meat. Kosher meat is prepared and blessed in a particular fashion and needs to be certified. A person who follows this would be able to eat the vegetarian meals you mention above. The highest level is to be Glatt Kosher. If you keep Glatt Kosher, all food, Meat or not, needs to be certified Glatt Kosher. It is unlikely that UA's food would meet this standard.

iflyatldl

Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:52 pm

I dunno, I'm sitting here at DCA after a flight from ATL, and the people sitting in front of us brought on board some really stinky McDonald's on board. Still trying to get rid of the smell in my nose. But, I lived with it.  Silly
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

RussianJet

Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:57 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 39):
I can't fathom that people in this day and age still look at Jews and only think cheap

That's outrageous, he (MEA-707) has clearly not suggested that.

Just think about what you are suggesting: a family of Orthodox Jews would board a plane with food that MIGHT bother other people. Then, hope they complain to the F/A's and hope that the F/A's decide to make the pax throw it away. Than, hope that the F/A's are overly obnoxious about it

That's nonsense. He has obviously suggested that they have played up the discrimination aspect after the event, having now found themselves in the media spotlight.

Jews are no more likely to sue over an incident like this than any other minority or ethnic group.

He has not suggested that either! A specific incident is under discussion, as detailed in the article - they were Jews, it's written right there in the article. It doesn't mention people of other minorities or ethnic groups. The 'victim' does, however, make a big deal of his religion.

I think you owe MEA-707 an apology.

TrvlnMan

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:06 pm

there is no reason the F/A's couldn't have treated the family with dignity and respect

You don't know that they weren't treated with dignity and respect.... just because the passenger said so?

Nobody said "since they're Jewish, I bet they'll sue", except for you! It never was a thought, since Jews, Catholics, Baptists, Lutherans, Pentecosts, Muslims, Episcopalians, Methodist, Presbyterian, Mormons, 7th Day Adventists, Disciples of Christ, Protestant, Atheists, Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Americans, Canadians, Irish, French, Panamanians, Swedes, Ethiopians, Turks, Spaniards, Germans, and Dutch, Hondurans, Chileans, Polynesians, and Italians (Geez, I hope I didn't leave anyone out for fear of being called racist) - the traveling public in general - seem to think that they have been mistreated and are owed something from the airlines.

bok269

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:07 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 42):

As he said:

I know I might stir a pot here but that they throw in that they are Jewish I think they try to pull things out of proportion just with the purpose of making some money.

The way that is written, it implies that they are suing because they are Jewish they look for an easy way to make some money.

steeler83

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:13 pm

Quoting TF39 (Reply 20):

Eventhough I wasn't the one who said those exact words, I did post that I agreed with him.  Smile

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 16):
Instead of taking responsiblity, people prefer to play the victim. It is easier (and gets media attention (and a free trip, maybe)).

Been there, done that. I can't stand people who function this way. If I were to bring a stinky substance on board an aircraft, I would be 100% likely to be told to get rid of it, and I am Catholic for Pete's sake! It hardly matters what race or ethnicity someone belongs to.

So these guys play the "I am being picked on for being Jewish," card. If that were the case, then I would feel sorry for the family, but as I stated, as well as many others have stated above, I do not believe at all that this was anti-semetic.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

TrvlnMan

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:17 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 44):
The way that is written, it implies that they are suing because they are Jewish they look for an easy way to make some money.

It's no different than if they were black or gay and said something like "I'm sure it was because I was wearing a (Black Power or Gay Pride) t-shirt...." it is as if they were trying to claim being victims of discrimination. MEA's quote was just applying to the comments made by the passenger....

RussianJet

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 44):

It suggests they are claiming to discrimination in order to make money. They themselves say that they must have been discriminated against because they are Jewish. It does NOT suggest that they are motivated by avarice because they are Jewish. He has not generalised about Jews, he has commented on this story. Again, you owe him an apology.

SOBHI51

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting TrvlnMan (Reply 43):
Geez, I hope I didn't leave anyone out for fear of being called racist)

He he you forgot Arabs      

[Edited 2007-10-20 14:35:02]

[Edited 2007-10-20 14:36:16]

[Edited 2007-10-20 14:37:58]  cheeky 

[Edited 2007-10-20 14:40:25]
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

bok269

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 47):

Again, the way he used Jewish in the sentence led me to interpret it the way I did. If I misinterpreted the original post, I do apologize. However, regardless of whether things are meant to mean something or not, it is very important to make clear what you mean, especially when discussing an ethnic group or anything else that could lead someone to get offended. When discussing things over electronic medium such as Anet, the benefit of hearing the tone of another's voice is not available and can often lead to misinterpretations.

RussianJet

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 49):
When discussing things over electronic medium such as Anet, the benefit of hearing the tone of another's voice is not available and can often lead to misinterpretations.

Granted, I think it was pretty clear he wasn't generalising though, and you could have substitued the 'Jewish' for any other race, religion, sexuality or whatever if that were the specific aspect discussed in the story. Anyway, I appreciate your reply here. I just think one has to be very careful with suggestions like that as it potentially does a disservice to people genuinely facing antisemitic behaviour and undermines the important efforts made to deal with it. Peace all  Smile

flight7e7

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:12 pm

Airlines should ban all carry on food, unless it is for medical reasons only-eg. diabetic, hypoglicemic,etc... and would be made to provide the medical note or card to prove they need it (the food).

Furthermore, eat before you get on the damn plane if you must. Certainly, today more than ever, there are enough food choices in the airport, many even with large food courts, to plan to grab a bite before flying. Why do people think they cannot suvive a 3 hour run like CMH-DEN without filling their mouths?

I have seen people bring food on board (and its getting worse) drop it on the floor, spill BIG beverages the size of Dallas all over the seats, and on poor, unsuspecting pax in the vacinity. Kids eat and smear thier hands all over the seats, walls and windows with anything that went in their mouth, was on the surface they touched, never mind the bacteria now brewing for the next passenger in that seat to encounter. Bluntly said, people are just slobs in general, leaving pizza boxes, and paper bags full of thier partook remnants and wrappers smashed and jammed in the seat pockets; the seat in front of you is for a carry on bag and your feet, not your trash.

I am well aware that this has been said a hundred times, but think of the safety risk it poses-and with security as lax as it really is-what is stopping anyone from bringing a incindiary device or some kind of toxic, flamable material or chemicals on board hidden in food items (yes, the very food bought at the vendors inside security)? Might sound far fetched-however, have you seen any gate agents, anywhere of late asking a passenger what's in the pizza hut box, or mc donald's bag....I haven't.

Well, there is my 2 cents...but really, let's get a grip on it, and stick to the buy on board...it's probabally the best thing the airlines could have ever done....sort of a controlled or manageable mess if you will.

I am not a United fan, but considering other people have been asked to disembark due to odiferous bodies, and bad smelling clothes, Jewish, Christian, Muslim or what have you, no one sholud use thier damn religion or dietary habits to create havoc like these folks did, nor do they have any right to inflict any kind of unpleasant odor regardless of the source. United does not owe them an apology, at all. Ain't it grand?

Cheers,

Flite

TrvlnMan

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 48):
He he you forgot Arabs

Damn! My apologies...
 Smile

Indy

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:42 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 3):
and for that the airline owes the family an apology

The airline owes them nothing. The airline didn't bring the stink on the plane. They did. Maybe we should all just start bring smelly food on board. Maybe we shouldn't shower before a flight either. Maybe we can have a few burritos before a trip if you know what I mean?  Smile After all it couldn't possibly be my fault for causing a smell.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

lgbga

Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting Flight7E7 (Reply 51):
Furthermore, eat before you get on the damn plane if you must. Certainly, today more than ever, there are enough food choices in the airport, many even with large food courts, to plan to grab a bite before flying. Why do people think they cannot suvive a 3 hour run like CMH-DEN without filling their mouths?

Somtimes that just not possible. I had a quick layover, 40 minutes in CLT last week. It was 12:30 pm, food courts were packed, and by the time I got off one plane, changed terminals, bought something to eat, planning on eating while waiting to board, I arrived at the gate and they were boarding. I had no choice but to take my food on with me. I was headed to LAS which was a 4 and half hour flight. I had left my house at 7:00 am to get to the airport, get thru security which was terrible in ATL that day, as was traffic as always. I was not running late but because of aforementioned things, barely was at the gate when boarding started. There was no time to eat!.

what is stopping anyone from bringing a incindiary device

You can carry matches and lighters. Why would you need to hide them in food?

stick to the buy on board...it's probabally the best thing the airlines could have ever done.

Not if you are flying US and your only option is a salad with oranges in it or a turkey sandwich with cranberry relish.
 yuck  Not my idea of the best thing.

steeler83

Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 54):
Maybe we can have a few burritos before a trip if you know what I mean? After all it couldn't possibly be my fault for causing a smell.

Throw in some raw vegetables and chili for that matter!!! Maybe on top of that, maybe I'll bring along a pound of limberger...

sq_ek_freak

Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:24 am

Surely you would agree that different fish have different smells, some more pleasing than others, some more pungent than others, and some more permeating than others. Obviosuly airlines try to serve fish meals that do not wreak, which some types of fish defnitley can.
Keep Discovering

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos