mikelive
Topic Author

South California Fires/Evacs...

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi, everyone.

With all the wildfires raging around Southern California and the reported evacuations around San Diego, how will that affect operations at fields in the area? I am just curious.

Thanks!  Smile

PS: I did a search and came up empty, but I apologize in advance if a similar topic has been started.

PanAm747

RE: South California Fires/Evacs...

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:55 pm

I put my mom on a DFW bound AA 757 this morning and she arrived just fine. Oddly enough, her connecting flight was almost delayed due to thunderstorms...

I have not seen anything landing on the usual incoming route to runway 27. Perhaps they are landing on 9 and taking off on 27 to stay clear of all the smoke.

By the way, the air quality here is ATROCIOUS!! San Diego county is going to be a pile of ash very soon...
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

tootallsd

Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:39 pm

In 2003 the Cedar Fire burned to within 100s of yards of Tracon in San Diego (on the edge of MCAS Miramar). As a result SAN was shut for several hours while traffic control moved to Riverside? and visibility improved. I live within 30 seconds of touchdown and the last few approaches were very non-standard in terms of late turns, altitude etc.

It will be a mess for several days if 2003 is any indicator as we went for nearly a week wearing masks and enjoying a post -nuclear sort fo sunlight.

All my best wishes to the 250,000 evacuess.

Silver1SWA

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 1):
I have not seen anything landing on the usual incoming route to runway 27. Perhaps they are landing on 9 and taking off on 27 to stay clear of all the smoke.

Arrivals are making very short finals to avoid the large plumes to the east.

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 1):
By the way, the air quality here is ATROCIOUS!! San Diego county is going to be a pile of ash very soon...

Yup, wore the mask tonight.

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 2):
I live within 30 seconds of touchdown and the last few approaches were very non-standard in terms of late turns, altitude etc.

Yeah, and as a result, we saw a lot of go-arounds today. Also saw a couple situations that looked too close for comfort. As one departing aircraft just lifted off, another arriving aircraft going around was right behind the departing aircraft. I mean, RIGHT behind...

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 2):
It will be a mess for several days if 2003 is any indicator as we went for nearly a week wearing masks and enjoying a post -nuclear sort fo sunlight.

So far, from what I am hearing from the folks that experienced the 2003 fire, the ash situation at the airport is not nearly as bad.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

SANFan

Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:50 am

I don't know if anyone saw it but the SAN folks released an announcement this morning telling everyone that SAN was open and operating (altho they warned people to contact the airlines for specific flight info.)

http://www.san.org/documents/pressre...-22%20-%20MA%20-%20SDIA%20open.pdf

In what I feel was a very nice and thoughtful gesture, they also announced that gate 19 would be available "for arriving passengers who live in evacuated areas and are not able to travel to their homes" and that "they can go there to make phone calls, access the airport's free Wi-Fi service and make transportation or other arrangements as needed." (I hope to heck the airport kept the press away from the unfortunate people making use of this temporary lounge area.)

I also wish the best of luck to the hundreds of thousands in the San Diego area who are affected in one way or other by these horrible fires.

bb

sphealey

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:22 pm

This Flickr user Judy_Oliver has some great pictures of aerial firefighting assets in her photostream. Click through to pages 2 and 3 as well.

sPh

as739x

Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:07 pm

Seems most everything is getting in with no problems. The issue we have had is just a few flow times headed into LAX. But that happens without fires as well. The only odd part is having seen dispatch use PHX as a diversion city for SoCal flights.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Bicoastal

Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:28 pm

I noticed on the UA and AA websites that they are waiving ticket change fees, etc for southern California. I hear from friends at UA in San Diego that some arriving passengers were turning right around and flying out once they realized their meetings and other events were cancelled. Many no shows yesterday for flights. They are very short staffed, too, due to many employees dealing with fire/families.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

speedbrds

Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:21 pm

Like UA and AA, Qantas is letting passengers flying to LAX change destinations to SFO. I wonder how many other Int'l airlines are doing the same thing.

DeC

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:37 pm

CONVERTED DC-10 firefighting

or direct link: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1a7_1193165376
DEC

stealth777

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:42 pm

a couple questions about the converted dc-10. first in the video, was i see it correctly? it was flying with some flaps deployed? maybe 15 degrees of flap? is this so that it can fly at slower speeds to make the drops more effective? also how long does it take after it makes a drop to get it back into the air to make another drop?

lrdc9

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:43 pm

awesome video. How long was the DC-10 out after it hit those trees a few years back?
Just say NO to scabs.

LAXspotter

Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting DeC (Reply 9):
CONVERTED DC-10 firefighting

that makes me want to go near the fire so I can capture the DC-10 dropping the retardant. My friend, a Private Pilot told me there were temporary bans on general aviation over certain areas of Los Angeles County.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

AAR90

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting Stealth777 (Reply 10):
a couple questions about the converted dc-10. first in the video, was i see it correctly? it was flying with some flaps deployed?

Yes, flaps deployed to allow slower airspeed for more accurate and effective retardant placement. Local news had some even more dramatic video. Pilot was flying WAY BELOW the hilltops and deep into the canyons. That low you don't want to be flying fast... retardant would become less dense and less effective as well.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

a380us

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:49 am

hopeflly somon can help me
i have a B6 flight on friday morning JFK-SAN and i wantrd to know if id be able to change it to tommorow (thursday) free of charge or if they still have there charges?

thanks
A380US
www.JandACosmetics.com

Silver1SWA

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 7):
I hear from friends at UA in San Diego that some arriving passengers were turning right around and flying out once they realized their meetings and other events were cancelled. Many no shows yesterday for flights.

Yeah, I saw a lot of that at WN too. Last night was very strange at the airport. Airlines made some money in San Diego. When I got to work at 2pm, as I normally do at the start of my shift, I casually checked the flight bookings for the rest of the night to get an idea for how the night would be. Flights for the evening were showing loads in the 14-50 range. Around 2:30pm, I received an email from my school saying campus was to be closed through Saturday. I assume the other universities in town issued similar emails. In a couple hours following that email, our flights suddenly became oversold. Our terminal last night was full of college students. Luckily it was the middle of the week and flights were empty enough to accommodate all of the folks fleeing town. My concern is, if school resumes Monday, how are the thousands of students that left town going to get back? I'm sure Sunday is already booked as it usually is.

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 7):
They are very short staffed, too, due to many employees dealing with fire/families.

Yeah, we have been short staffed as well. We operated only 8 out of our 10 gates last night. A lot of people have been affected. Even though I was not affected by evacuation, I have to say it was pretty stressful leaving home to go to work. The last place I would want to be if the call to evacuate came, would be at work away from home because that would mean I wouldn't be able to get back to grab important belongings. It also didn't seem right that when I was getting ready to leave for work, the news was urging people to avoid going outside if possible due to unhealthy breathing conditions. That's exactly what I was about to do...for 8 hours. lol
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

hawaiian717

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting A380US (Reply 14):
i have a B6 flight on friday morning JFK-SAN and i wantrd to know if id be able to change it to tommorow (thursday) free of charge or if they still have there charges?

http://www.jetblue.com/JetblueAlerts/WeatherUpdate.aspx

DeC

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:04 am

DEC

SANFan

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 15):
I assume the other universities in town issued similar emails.

Hey Silver', just try to hold your breath during your shift! (Seriously though, didn't they at least provide masks for those of you working outside?)

I heard on the news on either Monday or Tuesday that all schools (from K thru college) were closed until further notice; I don't know if that included pre-schools and places like NU but I kind of figured most everything in town (except Lindbergh of course) was pretty much shuttered for the week...

(With all those college students running around Lindbergh yesterday, it's too bad SX couldn't run a couple of extra sections!)

bb

Silver1SWA

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:30 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 18):
Hey Silver', just try to hold your breath during your shift! (Seriously though, didn't they at least provide masks for those of you working outside?)

Yeah, they provided masks.

I heard on the news on either Monday or Tuesday that all schools (from K thru college) were closed until further notice; I don't know if that included pre-schools and places like NU but I kind of figured most everything in town (except Lindbergh of course) was pretty much shuttered for the week...

Correct. All schools in the county have been closed. SDSU is closed through Saturday. Not sure about the others. No word yet on when classes will resume, but I am anticipating that most schools will resume classes on Monday.

a380us

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:45 pm

www.JandACosmetics.com

hawaiian717

Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:24 am

I heard on the news on either Monday or Tuesday that all schools (from K thru college) were closed until further notice

Current plan for San Diego Unified is for classes to resume Tuesday; teachers and staff will report Monday in order to prepare for students.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos