Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ly204
Topic Author

Living Through A Plane Crash

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:33 am

Living through a plane crash must be an unbelievably harrowing experience...it would be interesting to hear what the experience was like (e.g. what the pilot said, what was happening in flight, what happened on impact, etc.).

I know it must be difficult to recreate such events, but I think it would be helpful for folks to understand what the experience was like and any lessons that can be drawn to best survive a crash.

Thank you...and I wish everyone nothing but safe travels...

[Edited 2007-10-22 20:36:29]

[Edited 2007-10-22 20:36:43]

AeroWesty

RE: Living Through A Plane Crash

Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:51 am

A.net member Eddieho lived through the AF358 crash at YYZ in 2005. If you do a search on his username, you'll come across several interesting first-hand accounts of his experience.
International Homo of Mystery

BCAL

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:22 am

There was an excellent book written by a passenger on the Lufthansa 747 that crashed on take off from Nairobi on 20 November 1974 called Wake Up, It's a Crash!: A Survivor's Account by Earl Moorhouse. Although out of print, I think you can buy second-hand copies on Amazon.

Although not a crash, there was a very good book written by a passenger on Flight BA009 and the 'Jakarta Incident' when all four engines failed in flight after ingesting volcanic ash. It is called 'All Four Engines Have Failed' and was written by Betty Tootell. Definitely worth reading.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

SpencerII

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:25 am

I survived an air crash, I was on Delta flight 1141 DFW-SLC in Sep 1988. It went down on take off.
13 of my seatmates did not survive. While time life can be normal, there are issues related to it that are sometimes difficult to deal with.

NeptunesCar

Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:04 am

my friend was a cabin crew who survived a crash in indonesia into a river, and though I myself havent survived a crash, I nearly drowned in the tsunami, and we had much the same feelings about the experiences, and recovery period after.

she harbored alot of guilt because she switched jumpseats with her best friend, who died in the accident. it took me a long time to let go that that the situation like a tsunami or plane crash comes so quickly, its often hard to assist people, though I was able to help children and adults, it still didnt feel like it was enough. you re run the event over in your head trying to think if there was something else you could have done.

wearing a uniform in such a disaster is much tougher than people might think. when faced with death and separation from family members (the island I was on was cut in two by a trench carved out by the waves) people turned to you in violent, irrational ways, and when food water and shelter are gone, act even worse. i imagine in a plane crash there is much the same reaction amongst survivors, as my friend attested to. (screaming at her like she was at fault)
You call it the world, we call it home. Pan Am.

jbernie

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:16 am

Ironically enough a Sydney Morning Herald journalist just wrote an article on this subject and it was released Tuesday (Sydney time)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/general/i...lood/2007/10/23/1192941064516.html

Garuda crash was earlier this year. Article is fairly short and not overly indepth but does express some of the questions she has about the whole incident.

ag92

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:43 am

I haven't lived through one, but my friend's father says that he was scheduled to fly on the AI 183 (the one which blew up in mid-air) He told me, how he was fighting to get on that plane, but to no avail, and sadly his family back home in India, thought he was gone, because there was no way of communicating at that time

He had to take a later Air Canada flight to London, and only realized his fate upon landing in London

atct

Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:07 pm

I was PIC in a Cessna 152 outside of Pittsburgh, PA flying at night. Long story short I had engine troubles and was forced to put her down. When lining up for a road, I noticed the road covered in cars when I was about 200ft, I then side stepped to the left, putting the aircraft down in a stand of woods. I made it out with a broken ankle, a shattered jaw, TMJ broken on both sides, both ear's punctured, and massive damage to my teeth. I was lifeflighted (Ironically?) to AGH in Pittsburgh where they put me out. 2 days later I woke up with a tube down my throat and massive damage to my face. Many surgeries, bone grafts, and dental procedures later im pretty much back to normal, albeit for an ankle that tells the weather. I still fly.

ATCT

RIP "Scotch"

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Terry Shepherd

Trikes are for kids!

ly204
Topic Author

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:44 pm

Quoting ATCT (Reply 7):
I was PIC in a Cessna 152 outside of Pittsburgh, PA flying at night. Long story short I had engine troubles and was forced to put her down. When lining up for a road, I noticed the road covered in cars when I was about 200ft, I then side stepped to the left, putting the aircraft down in a stand of woods. I made it out with a broken ankle, a shattered jaw, TMJ broken on both sides, both ear's punctured, and massive damage to my teeth. I was lifeflighted (Ironically?) to AGH in Pittsburgh where they put me out. 2 days later I woke up with a tube down my throat and massive damage to my face. Many surgeries, bone grafts, and dental procedures later im pretty much back to normal, albeit for an ankle that tells the weather. I still fly.

G-d bless...glad you made it through that experience and made a full recovery. All the best.

87GROUNDED

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:16 pm

I survived my own emergency.

To be brief: Performed a hasty pre-flight and relied on the fuel guages instead of visually checking. Took off into IFR conditions. Scud ran about 10 miles until VFR and then turned on course to home. Climbed out and was enjoying the flight until my prop stopped. Turned toward the nearest airport but head winds slowed me down. Reversed course and looked for an adequate spot to set her down in. Remembered a field nearby and headed for it. My passenger called 911 on their cell phone and reported a plane crash that was soon to occur. As I approached the pasture I saw the fire and ambulance vehicles heading my way. I put it down in about 2" of water as the field was being irrigated and I didn't know it at the time. The plane bounced to a stop in about 200 feet. I turned off the master switch and removed the key from the ignition. My hands were shaking so badly that I couldn't unbuckle my seatbelt. I was finally able to get unhooked and climbed out. The firemen and ambulance guys checked me out and they left. I called the local FBO I had rented from and told them their C172 was in a field and to come get it. I have never been behind the controls of an aircraft since. Hence my name 87Grounded. I received a bill for about $1000 for aircraft recovery and removal fees and wrote the check the next day. Maybe I'll take up flying again sometime but for now I'm done.
On your deathbed you'll receive total consiousness- so I've got that going for me.

ferengi80

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:35 pm

My good friend Joseph Trombello was a passenger on United Airlines flight 232 - the infamous Sioux City crash. He was sat in seat 18B, over the left wing of the DC-10-10. He suffered a broken neck in the crash, but was extremely lucky in that the spinal chord was not damaged. He suffered two shattered vertebrae, and had to undergo extensive surgery to repair this. He has written a book about his experiences - it is entitled MIRACLE IN THE CORNFIELD which is an amazing and somewhat moving read.

I also know a person through work - I work for the Ambulance Service - who survived crashing his light aircraft (I think it was a Piper Cherokee, but can't be sure) just short of the runway at LPL last year. He was night flying to ensure he had enough hours for his rating, and suffered an engine failure on final approach, crashing into the trees about a quarter mile short of the runway. His aircraft burst in to flames on impact, and he had to jump from the blazing wreckage thirty feet to the ground below. He shattered his elbow on hitting the floor, and suffered burns to the majority of his upper body. However, he is making a good recovery, and has recently returned to work on a part time basis.
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010