csturdiv
Topic Author

Insanity Outside Of ORD

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:01 am

Last night I went to ORD to pick up my mom who flew in from PHL (I was really envious when I found out that she flew on the E190). Anyway I left straight from work and took 294S to get there. I have driven to ORD many times, but it is always from 90. As I got closer to the 294/90/190 disaster, I followed the sign that pointed me towards ORD, but I found out that I was on the ramp onto 90E heading into Chicago. Fought my way through the toll plaza hell and exited and re-entered 90W on Cumberland. Took 190 into ORD. Even with the delay due to the signs on 294, I was still early so I was looking for signs for the cellphone lot to wait in. Didn't see any signs until I got to the arrivals pick-up area, and I had to go back to Mannheim and the cell lot was off of that....not just off Mannheim, but a mile or two down Mannheim. Found the lot, and it was rather dark and poorly lit. Got the call from my mom that she was in, so I headed towards ORD again. Got back onto Mannheim and when I got to the 190 exit for ORD, it was closed. I had to go to the next exit, do another loop around and get back on Mannheim and get off on 190 the other direction. This whole ordeal was insane! As much as I hate MDW, it is so much easier to get to there and to the cell lot without misleading signs & roadwork to screw you up. Are there any plans to put in a better cell lot near ORD? And they really need to do something with the road signs and detours!
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

ORDagent

RE: Insanity Outside Of ORD

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:01 am

The situation will only get better when the construction eases. O"Hare is going to be a HUGE mess com 2009 should the Olympics come to Chicago and it won't end till the athletes are home.

Why hate MDW? Much better concessions and shorter walks over all. The terminal does look a bit cheap but it works very well particularly now that they have expanded and organized the security better.

Cubsrule

RE: Insanity Outside Of ORD

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:30 pm

Quoting Csturdiv (Thread starter):
And they really need to do something with the road signs and detours!

I think the detour signs are pretty clear, and it will be really nice when Manheim is repaved (which it has needed for some time) and 190 is widened. For future reference, I think waiting in the kiss and fly lot is far easier than the cell phone lot (you also get a 10 minute grace period in the parking garages if you're going to be pretty quick, FWIW), and it's just as quick from kiss and fly to the terminals as it is from the cell phone lot.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos