Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

vv701

RE: Easyjet Is To Buy GB Airways

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:12 pm

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 43):
Also with regards to comments about nothing stopping BA from restarting the routes, I entirely agree. But with all the competition with flights to the likes of the Costa's in Spain, I doubt they will not be too fussed about starting them anytime soon! I do however feel with BA loosing GB Airways and BMED as franchise partners they now have some big gaps in their route network as a major international carrier!

According to BA (and as stated previously in this thread) they will initiate their own flights to Faro, Gibraltar, Ibiza, Malaga, Palma and Tunis including flights to Faro and Malaga from Heathrow and these will continue seamlessly from the current GT flights. So it seems that the only difference the ordinary punter on these routes will notice is that there will be a different on-board magazine to read. What surprises me is that BA would even consider using LHR slots to serve short haul destinations that I would think comprise 90 per cent plus holiday traffic.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:17 pm

I think that GB are also non-union and FA's not particularly well looked after. I seem to remember someone rather high up in GB saying that if they didn't like it they were free to leave, and that he could go into Tesco ask who'd like to come and work for GB and walk out with 50 people.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

ACEregular

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:22 pm

Cant wait to see an A321 in Orange. Also to work on an a/c which has a much more interesting cabin layout. Its great news for us at easyJet.

APYu

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:52 pm

Quoting ACEregular (Reply 52):
Cant wait to see an A321 in Orange. Also to work on an a/c which has a much more interesting cabin layout. Its great news for us at easyJet.

Can you imagine the PA - "Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to *****. Your Easyjet crew now have only 8 minutes to prepare this A321 aircraft for its return journey to Gatwick so they will now come through the cabin on roller blades tidying up as this aircraft is much longer than the ones we are used to working on and we need to work faster than ever"

I bet the 320's stay for a while but the 321s go quite quickly - they will be an Ops nightmare when they go tech as they will have limited ability to switch aircraft and accomodate a a full 321 plane load of pax. EZY need a flexible fleet and with such a small 321 fleet the benefits or having the larger aircraft are outweighed by the risks of lossing such flexibility in your programme. Remember one of the aircraft is TTIA which is always breaking down. Its had more engines than anyone would care to count. It was hard for GB to accommodate a tech 321 as its spare aircraft was normally a 320 - but when your spare is likely to be a 319 - even worse
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

callumm92

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:59 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 39):
So it is almost certain that easyJet will not dispose of GT's 320s and 321s and will probably add the 321s that GT has on order to its own fleet.

You're absolutely right, apologies for not reading it properly.

If easyJet had been keen to fly to the Canaries, Cyprus and Greek Islands in the past, they would have flown the routes themselves. I would not be surprised to see a number of these routes being cancelled by next year - Destinations like LGW to Hughada and Sharm El Shiekh are really stretching the LCC model and easyJet have always stated destinations over 4hrs flying time are no interest to them...

Well, they've recently started flight to the Canaries, and it's only really 'charter' carriers like TOM and FCA that fly to Cyprus and the Greek islands from the UK at the moment. Maybe this could be the start of LCC service there? I do, however agree that it could well be a bit long for the LCC model (SSH and HRG especially). LGW-HER pretty much the same distance as, for example, LTN-SAW though.

APYu

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:10 pm

"Opportunity to utilise larger aircraft with lower seat economics on rest of network."

Note the wording: It provides an 'opportunity' to utilise larger aircraft

It doesnt say they are going to take advantage of the opportunity.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

theginge

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:24 pm

The Malaga routes make a lot of money for GB so it is no surprise that they are continuing when GB finish. I am more surprised that they are not contuinuing RAK from LHR as that makes even more money as far as I know.

I think that what we are seeing is that smaller airlines, such as GB and BMED, are being bought by others as they can't compete on their own. GB are being thrashed by the low cost airlines down at Gatwick, hence why they dropped a lot of routes last year. So it makes sense that Easyjet are purchasing them.

acelanzarote

Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:29 pm

Pity monarch had got rid of its crown service, they could have done well with this...
seems there are people happy to pay a bit more for
better service but now a lot of places will just be standard charter/easyjet type service.
If you want to fly business to the canaries its now via MAD/BCN as nil direct from
the UK...Every time I have flown GT LGW-ACE Club its been full. Maybe its not making
money but there is demand and I would expect to LPA/TFS there would be even more
demand.....

Who owns GT that is selling it to Easyjet?
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

theginge

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:20 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 37):
Walsh says that the days of UK based franchise operations are gone suggesting that it is far from coincidence that the franchise agreements between BA and BMED, GB Airways and Loganair will all end within a twelve month period. However this is clearly not the case with overseas franchise arrangements with, for example, BA terminating its service to HRE and instead using the Comair franchise agreement for them to feed passengers from HRE to BA at JNB.

I think that the franchise operations have ended after these airlines were sold. BMED had to find a buyer otherwise it would have gone bust. GB obviously needed a buyer at some point as it couldn't sustain itself on its own. This meant that BA decided to finish UK Franchises/.

Ryanair737

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:38 pm

Quoting Callumm92 (Reply 54):
Well, they've recently started flight to the Canaries, and it's only really 'charter' carriers like TOM and FCA that fly to Cyprus and the Greek islands from the UK at the moment.

Jet2 is starting flights to Paphos and Heraklion from Leeds next summer.

Ryanair are slowly expanding into 4hour+ routes from the UK as well.

[Edited 2007-10-25 08:41:31]
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

columbia107

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:39 pm

Quoting Acelanzarote (Reply 57):

Bland Group

The Bland Group, which is privately owned, was established in 1810 in Gibraltar and is now made up of 12 operating companies including holidays, hotels & the UK-based airline SA)">GB Airways.

The Chairman is Joseph J. Gaggero, CBE.

In fiscal year ending March 2005, the group had an annual turnover in excess of £200 million.

The 12 operating companies are:
SA)">GB Airways Ltd
Cadogan Holidays Ltd
The Rock Hotel Ltd
Blands Travel
Blands Motor Transport
Viajes Med SA
Travel Link sarl
Agence Med SRA
Cadogan Travel Ltd
Hovertravel Ltd
Hoverwork Ltd
Med Travel SRA
In God we trust

callumm92

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:39 pm

It's owned by Bland Group, who are a transport and tourism company.

Sorry to double post, was beaten to it :P

[Edited 2007-10-25 08:45:45]

RoyalAirMaroc

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:57 pm

Woow its a shock that BA is not planning to continue any routes under its own brand to morocco.

So, CMN, TNG, FEZ and RAK will be axed ?
Life is a Journey, One Which I hope will include alot of Flights !! =]

Banco

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:00 pm

The staff at GB know little more about what's happened today beyond the announcement that you've all read.

It's entirely correct that the airline will effectively be shut down, with U2 taking over the LGW slots and the aircraft but little more. Operational staff will almost certainly move across into the U2 operation, whilst what you might term "admin" - sales, commercial, accounts etc will all be made redundant, because there's no role for them. For the time being they hold on to their jobs, until the sale is completed, which should be early in the New Year. After that, they'll be exiting the company.

GB did struggle with the low-costs, but it was still making money, and had turned itself around from a year or two ago when it was genuinely struggling. The model had been to move to longer sectors, where the low cost model doesn't make as much sense.

BA not buying GB makes perfect sense given the sizeable operation Easyjet already have a the airport. BA at LGW is a doomed operation, and has been since slots were given up to the pool in the immediate wake of September 11th. It's the death by a thousand cuts that has been on the cards ever since that point, because Easyjet becoming the biggest carrier at the airport will make BA's position even less viable than it was before. Funadamentally, BA operated out of LGW only to buttress Heathrow, which is why, to the surprise of most, BA has always been against the expansion of LGW in terms of a second runway.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

sam1987

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:23 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 63):
BA at LGW is a doomed operation

BA should concentrate on what they are good at - flying premium passengers. They cannot compete with U2 on shorter routes... so they should continue to provide a premium service to North Africa, Cyprus, the Greek Islands etc.

Does anybody know (or can guess) which routes U2 will drop?
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

BBADXB

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:29 pm

Wow! I didn't see this one coming!

I think it is a good thing as long as U2 take over the LGW-MLA run from GT and hopefully, Air Malta will increase their flights into LGW, possibly with a redeye into LGW. Ideally, BA should operate this route as a late evening departure from LGW with an early morning arrival into LGW.

Interesting times ahead indeed.

LAXorLGWonDL

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:33 pm

Quoting Callumm92 (Reply 7):
Looking at the GB Airways routemap, it looks like we will see EZY flying from LGW to NTE, MPL, SZG, Cyprus, Greek Islands, Turkey (DLM), Malta, Tunisia and Egypt. It should also strengthen its position in the Canaries (which it has recently started flights to) and Morocco. Of course, they already fly from LGW to the Spanish sun destinations etc.

Greek Islands are a great destination!! I look forward to see what new places EZY offers from LGW.

Smile
Next Up: STR, JFK, ATL, TPA, ANC

Humberside

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:48 pm

I think the landing and take off slots are the main motive for easyJet taking over the operation, as easyJet have always wanted to expanded LGW far quicker than they have been able to - due to this exact reason... LGW is far more profitable for them than their LTN and STN bases.

If easyJet had been keen to fly to the Canaries, Cyprus and Greek Islands in the past, they would have flown the routes themselves. I would not be surprised to see a number of these routes being cancelled by next year - Destinations like LGW to Hughada and Sharm El Shiekh are really stretching the LCC model and easyJet have always stated destinations over 4hrs flying time are no interest to them...

I agree about the LGW slots. But I think they will keep most of the GB routes - just move them from peak times to middle of the day. This will mean a big expansion of EZY's Gatwick business routes, which I guess are some of Easyjet's highest yielding? The purchase of GB seems like a very good move to me

As for Canaries, they are just starting to show an interest, servibg LPA, ACE and FUE. Now they have quickly added Canaries service from London. They can also connect other existing dots on their network to Gatwick, like Casablanca (being moved from LHR) and Funchal. To me the oddball route will be Tunis, which isnt a tourist destination. With BA Mainline adding service from Gatwick maybe this means EZY will axe it. Three carriers from LON to Tunis seems a bit much to me (Tunis Air from LHR is the other)

The other interesting thing to me is Malta - the Maltese government have been trying to avoid direct LoCo competition with Air Malta, but EZY will compete with KM directly by the 'back door' so to say

Quoting RoyalAirMaroc (Reply 62):
Woow its a shock that BA is not planning to continue any routes under its own brand to morocco.

I think Casablanca in particular will be a huge gap in their African network. I wonder if bmi will give LHR-Casablanca (and maybe even Marakech too) a go. They've done stupidier things  Wink
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

CYatUK

Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:57 pm

It will be very interesting to see Easyjet's reaction. At the moment during summer months Cyprus Airways operate 5 weekly flights from MAN to LCA and 3 more are operated in cooperation with Eurocypria.

BA (GB) operated 5-6 weekly flights to PFO.

If for any reason EZY decide to stop the flights, then during the coming summer I would expect CY to have at least a daily flight and ECA more flights from MAN to cope with the increased trafic.

columbia107

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting RoyalAirMaroc (Reply 62):

I get the feeling that the rationale behind GB Airways operations to Morocco was the historical connections which have existed between the Bland Group and Morocco.
In God we trust

RoyalAirMaroc

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:12 pm

Quoting Columbia107 (Reply 69):
I get the feeling that the rationale behind GB Airways operations to Morocco was the historical connections which have existed between the Bland Group and Morocco

That may be true, but these days its more about profitability rather than historical connections.

From what I've heard CMN, FEZ and RAK are all profitable routes. Although the majority of RAK flights are routed through CMN. FEZ usually receives direct flights from LHR whilst TNG only receives flights twice a week during the summer and these are usually stop-overs en-route to CMN. TNG flights are not operated by GB airways during winter and the flights are instead sent to FEZ.

I can understand the suspension of flights to FEZ and TNG, but i always thought that CMN and RAK were vital to BA's north african route network.

AT will now have reason to hike the already very expensive price for tickets. When GB Airways flew to CMN this kept RAM's prices on a par with BA. TNG ticket during the summer can reach up to £450 rt due to BA scaling back services to TNG. Now they wont operate CMN i believe the same will happen with CMN.

richardw

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:20 pm

Is it likely that BA may want some of the GT A320/1 aircraft that don't go orange?

sam1987

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:41 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 71):
Is it likely that BA may want some of the GT A320/1 aircraft that don't go orange?

That would make sense. When will the BA shorthaul fleet go all Airbus? Soon I heard?
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

vv701

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting APYu (Reply 55):
"Opportunity to utilise larger aircraft with lower seat economics on rest of network."

Note the wording: It provides an 'opportunity' to utilise larger aircraft

It doesnt say they are going to take advantage of the opportunity.

No. But it is worth repeating that this statement is made under the heading "Financial Upside Longer Term". And as easyJet is a plc quoted on the London Stock Exchange any public statement made by them, particularly one relating to financial considerations, takes on a legal perspective. So saying that they have a financial long term upside and not meaning it is, not to put too fine a point on it, illegal.

Clearly this statement was not a key part of the easyJet announcement. Clearly it added little if anything by including it. So equally clearly easyJetr must have meant what they said because otherwise their legal department and advisers would not have allowed them to make it knowing that the FSA (Financial Services Authority) would fall on them like a ton of bricks if they did not mean it.

It is important in this industry to distinguish between, on one side, publicly quoted airlines like British Airways and easyJet who operate under the watch of the FSA and privately owned bmi and Virgin Atlantic who do not.

Quoting Theginge (Reply 58):
I think that the franchise operations have ended after these airlines were sold. BMED had to find a buyer otherwise it would have gone bust. GB obviously needed a buyer at some point as it couldn't sustain itself on its own. This meant that BA decided to finish UK Franchises/.

Except of course Loganair has not been sold. And for the other two which is the cart and which is the horse? Without the franchise operation and loosing money BMED certainly could not survive. And what was GB Airways future as a stand alone airline without the BA franchise? I say again that it seems to me it is

Quoting VV701 (Reply 37):
far from coincidence that the franchise agreements between BA and BMED, GB Airways and Loganair will all end within a twelve month period.

Otherwise I am expected to believe that it is entirely coincidental that on the very day easyJet Airline and Bland, the owners of GB Airways, announced the demise of GB Airways as both an independent airline and a BA franchise operator, BA also announced that it had agreed with Loganair that their franchise agreement would be replaced by a newly negotiated code share arrangement. However I can conceded that the financial troubles that resulted in the demise of BMED got BA looking at its two other UK based franchise operators.

columbia107

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting RoyalAirMaroc (Reply 70):
That may be true, but these days its more about profitability rather than historical connections

I fully agree with you. There is no doubt that GB was making money on its routes to an from Morocco.
In God we trust

runway23

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:15 am

According to the Financial Times, the four GB Airways LHR slots have gone to:

-(2x) Continental Airlines
-British Airways
-Qatar Airways

sandyb123

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:50 am

Just received this email from EasyJet:

easyJet PLC agrees to aquire GB Airways Limited

easyJet PLC ("easyJet") announced today that it has agreed to acquire the entire issued share capital of GB Airways Ltd ("GB Airways"), excluding its slots at Heathrow Airport, from the Bland Group Limited, for a cash consideration of £103.5 million.

GB Airways is primarily a London Gatwick based point-to-point airline operating to destinations across Southern Europe and North Africa under a franchise agreement with British Airways PLC ("British Airways"). easyJet will co-operate with British Airways to ensure a smooth and orderly transition for customers. To this end GB Airways will continue to operate all routes under the British Airways brand until March 29 2008 after which flights will operate under the easyJet brand.

Andy Harrison, Chief Executive of easyJet:
"This is an acquisition which both strengthens our customer offering at London Gatwick, our biggest base with an attractive catchment area, and allows us to fully capitalise on the potential of the airport through a larger number of slots. The deal will bring major benefits to both easyJet and GB Airways customers, delivering a wider choice of destinations at easyJet’s great prices, and creating clear value for our shareholders."

Kevin Hatton, Chief Executive of GB Airways:
"We are pleased that the business and customer base built up by GB Airways will now be secured and strengthened under the ownership of the UK's largest airline by passenger numbers, and one of the industry's most powerful brands."

The acquisition is set to strengthen our customer offering tremendously. GB Airways currently serve 31 destinations and operate 15 Airbus aircraft (9 A320s and 6 A321s) with an average age of 4.1 years, which are complementary to the easyJet fleet of 107 A319s. In total it operates 39 routes - 28 from Gatwick, 6 from Manchester, and 5 from Heathrow. The airline will be fully consolidated into the easyJet business model by Winter 2008/09.

"easyJet will co-operate with British Airways to ensure a smooth and orderly transition for customers." ouch!
Member of the mile high club

callumm92

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting RoyalAirMaroc (Reply 70):
AT will now have reason to hike the already very expensive price for tickets. When GB Airways flew to CMN this kept RAM's prices on a par with BA. TNG ticket during the summer can reach up to £450 rt due to BA scaling back services to TNG. Now they wont operate CMN i believe the same will happen with CMN.

Although will the lower fares FR and EZY flying to RAK, FEZ and CMN, and the potential that they have for expansion from Morocco, not manage to keep the fares of AT decent?

APYu

Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 73):
No. But it is worth repeating that this statement is made under the heading "Financial Upside Longer Term". And as easyJet is a plc quoted on the London Stock Exchange any public statement made by them, particularly one relating to financial considerations, takes on a legal perspective. So saying that they have a financial long term upside and not meaning it is, not to put too fine a point on it, illegal.

Of course Its perfectly legal as of course its perfectly true - it does provide an OPPORTUNITY and they are stating this to their shareholders. Any statements relating to Financial Upside are of course best guess / what we hope because no company has a crystal ball and would be able to state what any Financial Upsides will be. It would also be commercial suicide to go into too much detail on their actual plans for the airline during the next few weeks while the transaction goes through and the company goes through Due Diligence. If they announced details for fleet and route cuts there would be lots of sickness calls to the Beehive this morning and beyond which is no good to GB or EZY

The aim of these statements to shareholders and the like is to give them a warm fuzzy feeling - no one is being mislead - its the companys view of what might happen in the future to keep the share price stable.

The fact that they have used the term 'opportunity' is due to the legal nature of such a public statement - they cant be held to it in the future!! Their legal department and advisers probably made sure they made as few firm commitments as possible.

Imagine a possible statement in January - 'Follwing commercial due diligence we have identified that the true opportunity with the GB Airways acqusition, in addition to the vast increase in the number of Gatwick slots, is to liquidate the remaining aircraft assets of the company to support further investment in our A319 expansion programme with concentration on our key business routes which offer a higher yield and better aircraft utilisation' - Their shareholders - the most important people - would love that

acelanzarote

Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:26 am

Quoting Sandyb123 (Reply 76):
easyJet will co-operate with British Airways to ensure a smooth and orderly transition for customers." ouch!

What about the GB Airways staff, no mention of them at all.......
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

Banco

Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:14 am

Quoting Acelanzarote (Reply 79):
What about the GB Airways staff, no mention of them at all.......

See my post above, it will almost certainly be fairly simple:

Operational staff will simply transfer across to Easyjet.

"Admin" staff will be made redundant.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

gilesdavies

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:34 am

Quoting BBADXB (Reply 65):

I think it is a good thing as long as U2 take over the LGW-MLA run from GT and hopefully,

So the take over of GB Airways is only good is easyJet continue to fly LGW-MLA? (I didn't know the whole deal rested on Malta!  rotfl 

Im unsure if easyJet will want to continue flying LGW-MLA, as MLA is considered one of the most expensive airports to operate to in Europe. If easyJet is not happy with the fees they are paying, they will not hesitate to walk away, this is what they did at ZRH a few years ago!

The Maltese government is only interested in attracting LCC or offering discount fees to operators if they fly a route which is not in direct competition with Air Malta, hence why Ryanair can only operate LTN-MLA as Air Malta operate from STN, LHR and LGW in the London area... Ryanair would have no interest in operating the route if they had to pay the full fees at MLA.

RoyalAirMaroc

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:28 pm

Quoting Callumm92 (Reply 77):
Although will the lower fares FR and EZY flying to RAK, FEZ and CMN, and the potential that they have for expansion from Morocco, not manage to keep the fares of AT decent?

I agree but that still leaves only AT operating out of LHR. It really is suprising that BA wont undertake the LHR-CMN, LHR-RAK. I have flown that route at least 20 times last year (due to family) and on average the flights have a %70 load even though CMN & RAK are served twice daily from LHR by BA and AT.

BBADXB

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:17 pm

Yes, ..as far as I'm concerned!  wink 

BBADXB

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:24 pm

..and should U2 decide not to operate the route, there's an opportunity for other companies to increase or start their service on the route. It may also be the case that LH/KM increase their flights through Germany, or other carriers to start new routes or supplement their services to MLA. I for one, would love to see AF to ORY/CDG or YW or UX to MAD at MLA as from March 2008.

Humberside

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:39 pm

Quoting RoyalAirMaroc (Reply 82):
I agree but that still leaves only AT operating out of LHR. It really is suprising that BA wont undertake the LHR-CMN, LHR-RAK. I have flown that route at least 20 times last year (due to family) and on average the flights have a %70 load even though CMN & RAK are served twice daily from LHR by BA and AT.

Do AT serve RAK from LHR or just LGW?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

callumm92

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:49 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 85):
Do AT serve RAK from LHR or just LGW?

Just LHR I think. AFAIK, AT don't serve LGW at all.

RoyalAirMaroc

Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting Callumm92 (Reply 86):
Just LHR I think. AFAIK, AT don't serve LGW at all

Thats true but AT did serve LGW a long time ago. When AT decided to start the budget carrier (Atlas Blue) they passed the slots on to them.

vv701

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Quoting APYu (Reply 78):
Any statements relating to Financial Upside are of course best guess / what we hope because no company has a crystal ball and would be able to state what any Financial Upsides will be. It would also be commercial suicide to go into too much detail on their actual plans for the airline during the next few weeks while the transaction goes through and the company goes through Due Diligence. If they announced details for fleet and route cuts there would be lots of sickness calls to the Beehive this morning and beyond which is no good to GB or EZY

But you seem to overlook that there are three and not two alternative courses of action here.

EasyJet Airline did tell its shareholders that GT gives the "opportunity to utilise larger aircraft with lower seat economics on rest of network".

Taking the alternative APYu view EasyJet Airline could have told its shareholders that GT gives the "opportunity to standardise the larger fleet by disposing of their aircraft".

And the third way is simply to say nothing about the GT fleet and any future impact it may have on the airline's profitability at all.

But what EasyJet Airline has chosen to do is to tell its shareholders that the purchase of GT gives the airline an opportunity to exploit what it calls "lower seat economics" on "the rest of network". I repeat that if EasyJet Airline management even think that there is a significant chance that your opinion that, in particular, the 321s "will go quickly" could be true they would have followed the third way if not the second way.

There is only one reason for raising the issue of GT's fleet at all at this time. This is to demonstrate to shareholders the added value that they see the GT 320s and 321s bringing to the merged airline.

So why use the word "opportunity". The answer here is that there is no such thing as certainty in business. By the time the take-over is complete the world could just be be plunging into recession and commercial aviation could just be already headed for a major down turn. It is not because under any probable economic scenario EasyJet Airline management envisage the possible let alone the probable disposal of GT's aircraft. But if confronted by the FSA such an event could be quoted as indicative that EasyJet Airline management did not set out to purposefully mislead investors and potential investors.

APYu

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:51 pm

Option two would not be preferred as, after the shareholders, the next most important group of people is the staff and you dont want to spook the staff at GB whos support they need for the next 6 months

Option three would have the shareholders thinking so why did they bother at all and they would lose some confidence

They have worded it very well for all of the audiences.

Quoting VV701 (Reply 88):
There is only one reason for raising the issue of GT's fleet at all at this time. This is to demonstrate to shareholders the added value that they see the GT 320s and 321s bringing to the merged airline

You cant buy an airline and not say something about the fleet - you can just word it very vaguely so when people read it through quickly they read one thing and some assume quite another.

richardw

Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:13 pm

Will they still use the LGW North Terminal gates for the ex GT flights or is there enough room at the South Terminal?

richardw

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:35 pm

Would U2 be interested in Monarch?

BCAL

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:47 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 91):
Would U2 be interested in Monarch?

Why would they?

Monarch is a family owned business based in Lugano Switzerland which is owned and run by the Mantegazza Family, who are not looking for any takers for the airline or its engineering division. They have a successful business module and part of this success has been the airline's ability to adapt to change - they entered the scheduled market at the right time and then adopted a low-cost model with a difference, and have been more successful than the likes of GB. bmibaby and MyTravelite. They have been around since the 1960s whilst many other well-known names in the UK civil aviation industry have disappeared.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

sam1987

Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:18 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 90):
Will they still use the LGW North Terminal gates for the ex GT flights or is there enough room at the South Terminal?

The South Terminal is getting quite busy, what with the ex BA Connect services operating from there too.

I notice Virgin Nigeria have recently moved from South to North though. Maybe others will follow suit to allow extra space for the GT flights at the South Terminal?

Thomsonfly

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:28 am

Hi
My partner works for GB Airways in Crewing and had a big meeting on the day it happened explaining a few things, just if anything confirmation that the a/c will all be painted in ezy colours, and ezy plan to move all flights to the north terminal! Permenant Crew jobs are safe as they are SEP trained on them, but people based in the offices like my partner are job hunting.

We'll see but for now it's work as normal
Mark

heebeegb

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:51 am

Easyjet have no plans to move to the North Terminal, nor do they have any wish to, there is insufficient terminal and stand space for the whole current Easyjet operation, let alone combined with GB Airways, other airlines will be moving to the North to make space for the new, larger Easyjet operations when GB Airways are operating under the orange branding.

As has been said, GB office staff probably do the worst out of the whole thing unfortunately.

lehovec

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:31 am

If judging by Andy Harrison's e-mail, I think GB Airways will stay in the North terminal even after March 2008.

"Therefore, from April 2008, we will have a substantial operation at Gatwick:
· 35 based aircraft
· Extensive base management – in two terminals
· 24% of the slots (which is roughly the same as BA)
· Approximately 1400 people
· Eight million passengers
· 62 routes
· Sizeable engineering function."

AIR MALTA

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting HeeBeeGB (Reply 95):
As has been said, GB office staff probably do the worst out of the whole thing unfortunately.

I know the GT staff in Tunis. Are they gonna be taken over by BA when it launches its own flights out of Tunis. These people have worked for so many airlines. They worked for BCAL then they were taken over by BA then by GT then may be back with BA. I hope so for them.

On BA's website, flights there are no more GT flights to be booked out of LHR for Summer 08. Flights to CMN are listed out of LGW as well as AGP and FAO. Is BA gonna continue selling these flights although the franchise is terminating. When is BA gonna list its own schedules for these flights?
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

heebeegb

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:08 pm

Let the dust settle! The announcement was only made last week we can't expect BA to have sorted their own IBZ, AGP, FAO, PMI and TUN flights already, give it time.

As for GB staying in the North terminal after March '08, that will be an interesting state of affairs, with what will in effect be a split South/North easyjet operation as the franchise ends in March '08 as well.

Cue a flood of GB passengers trying to check in with BA in the North terminal come s08, like the situation when FlyBe took over the INV and IOM routes in March '07.

[Edited 2007-10-30 09:08:26]

[Edited 2007-10-30 09:09:02]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos