Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

ha787
Topic Author

ERJ 145 Carry-on Size?

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:05 am

I will be traveling on a delta connection ERJ-145 in less than two weeks, lax-phx. I've heard that the overhead bins are smaller than on larger aircraft. I was wondering what the largest size carry-on bag can be put in the bins.

PlymSpotter

RE: ERJ 145 Carry-on Size?

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting Ha787 (Thread starter):
ERJ 145 Carry-on Size?

Yeah, but I find the 135 fits under the seat a bit better Wink

To be serious though, the aircraft only had bins down one side, so you have less space. But, it should still be the same size as you can normally get under your seat - I've found this was the case when flying the aircraft in Europe.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

albird87

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:13 am

Your probably looking at a laptop bag.
However when i flew on BA Conect ERJ-145 they have a valet bag service which allows me to have my carry-on until the door.
Dont know if DL does this tho but im sure that anything around a laptop bag size (the larger ones im thinkin) will fit. No rollers unless they are tiny (again i didnt have the fact to try and put my normal laptop roller bag in as they said it wouldnt have a chance in hell!!)

iairallie

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:14 am

My standard sized rollerboard fits as long as it is not over stuffed. My wheeled computer overnighter bag doesn't fit unless I remove the computer first. They are quite a bit smaller.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

albird87

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 2):
However when i flew on BA Conect ERJ-145 they have a valet bag service which allows me to have my carry-on until the door.

I forgot to add that as soon as you arrive you get the valet bag back!! Dont have to wait around at baggage claim

KAUSpilot

roll-aboard type bags will not fit in the overheads unless they are exceptionally small. Normal sized rollaboards will fit under the seats if you are on the b/c side, but they will take up some of your neighbor's foot room.

The easiest solution is just to gate check them unless you have something fragile in there. Personally I love gate checking....it's like checking your bags without so much of the risk of losing them.....hard to lose something on a 30 foot journey from the main door to the baggage door (although I'm sure it's happened).

IAHFLYR

Backpack with a laptop in it or similar is about the max as far as top to bottom for the overheads! Otherwise, gate check.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

DeltaAVL

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:53 am

Dont know if DL does this tho but im sure that anything around a laptop bag size (the larger ones im thinkin) will fit. No rollers unless they are tiny (again i didnt have the fact to try and put my normal laptop roller bag in as they said it wouldnt have a chance in hell!!)

Yep, Delta will gate-check your carry-on - just get out the stuff you'll need during the flight because you won't see the bag again until after the flight!
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

deltairlines

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:20 am

My camera bag (about 8x10x14) barely fit in it last week. Fortunately didn't have to gate check all my equipment.

durangomac

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:32 am

I know that my standard medium size rollerboard will fit but I usually put one of the pink carry-on tags on it and have them put it in the back. The 145's bins are similar to CRJ's size from the last time I flew on one about a week ago. I fly the CRJ's really often and just don't care about wrestling with the bag to try to get it into the bins. I might add that I've been flying the CRJ on both DL and UA at least twice a week for the past two months and it's funny watching people try to stuff huge bags in the overhead bins.

Viscount724

Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:11 am

When LX operated both the ERJ-145 and Saab 2000 (both 1-2 seating with bins down one side only), I found that my fairly small roller-bag would just fit the Saab bins but it was too big for the ERJ-145.

BMED

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:47 pm

This is the same for BD when the ERJ is operating a mainline flight as most passengers expect an airbus or when a flight is full they say at the gate for pax to drop of bags and you can collect at the aircraft door on arrival. I guess it will be the same for most ERJ flights.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

TWA757

Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:00 pm

Quoting Iahflyr (Reply 6):
Backpack with a laptop in it or similar is about the max as far as top to bottom for the overheads! Otherwise, gate check.

It also depends on the size of your backpack -- mine, for example, won't fit in the overhead (though I do usually pack it pretty full, it's a sizable bag). I found it out the hard way on my first ERJ flight going from STL to EWR -- I was stuck with my backpack on top of my feet and between my knees and the seat in front of me, for two hours, in the last row!  Smile

modesto2

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:31 am

Have fun with ExpressJet's Delta Connection service - maybe I'll be working that flight  Smile

Starlionblue

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting KAUSpilot (Reply 5):
The easiest solution is just to gate check them unless you have something fragile in there. Personally I love gate checking....it's like checking your bags without so much of the risk of losing them.....hard to lose something on a 30 foot journey from the main door to the baggage door (although I'm sure it's happened).

Agreed. Just ensure that the bag gets a "gate checked" tag (typically from the gate agent). If it doesn't have one it will go to baggage claim. And that's how my expensive earphones went missing at ROC.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos