7e72004
Topic Author

Crosswind Runway At IND Question

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:16 pm

Hello all...when i was going through my old pictures at IND, i remembered a question that i had thought of in relation to the crosswind runway at IND. What is the total lenght of it and what is the largest aircraft that can take-off/land on it? I could remember or at least swear to remember that i saw an ATA L-1011 take off from it one day in 1996. I distinctly remember watching out of the C concourse and seeing the jet takeoff, while i was listening to AC/DC "Back in Black." Was i seeing things or was that in fact an L-1011. I think the flight was going to Orlando. thanks  Smile
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

B6JFKH81

RE: Crosswind Runway At IND Question

Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:30 pm

Based on what airnav is saying:

Runway 14/32
Dimensions: 7280 x 150 ft. / 2219 x 46 m
HAS 200 FT BLAST FENCE BOTH ENDS.
Surface: asphalt, in good condition
Weight bearing capacity: Single wheel: 145000 lbs
Double wheel: 300000 lbs
Double tandem: 550000 lbs

Runway edge lights: high intensity
RUNWAY 14 RUNWAY 32
Latitude: 39-44.053470N 39-43.212167N
Longitude: 086-17.330183W 086-16.223667W
Elevation: 787.7 ft. 782.4 ft.
Gradient: 0.2 0.2
Traffic pattern: left left
Runway heading: 137 magnetic, 135 true 317 magnetic, 315 true
Markings: precision, in good condition precision, in good condition
Visual slope indicator: 4-light PAPI on left (3.00 degrees glide path) 4-light PAPI on left (3.00 degrees glide path)
RVR equipment: touchdown
Approach lights: MALSR: 1,400 foot medium intensity approach lighting system with runway alignment indicator lights MALSR: 1,400 foot medium intensity approach lighting system with runway alignment indicator lights
Runway end identifier lights: no no
Touchdown point: yes, no lights yes, no lights
Instrument approach: ILS ILS
Obstructions: 61 ft. ant, 2370 ft. from runway, 756 ft. left of centerline, 35:1 slope to clear none

This info gets a little messed up when you copy/paste it. You can go to www.airnav.com and go to the airports section and just enter KIND and it will bring up the info for you the way it is supposed to be seen LOL!
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

ORD14R

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:38 am

I have a related question...why is this runway not used more often? Specifically, I'm wondering about days with light winds, where IND still uses the parallel runways despite a long taxi from the terminal. Why couldn't, at the very least, departing flights do a crosswind takeoff and save some time and fuel taxiing across the field?

We departed once off this runway, but on that day there were strong winds that favored the use of 14/32 (can't remember which, to be honest). Based on the stats above, your average traffic at IND could use this runway for just about every flight, except maybe some of FedEx's ops.

flyf15

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:46 am

Quoting ORD14R (Reply 2):
I have a related question...why is this runway not used more often? Specifically, I'm wondering about days with light winds, where IND still uses the parallel runways despite a long taxi from the terminal. Why couldn't, at the very least, departing flights do a crosswind takeoff and save some time and fuel taxiing across the field?

I've done this before. Using the 5/23 runways is their preferred way of operating, but upon pilot request, 14/32 is often available... as long as traffic is light. So, its usually just up to the pilots to think of it and put the request in. Much easier to do for takeoffs than arrivals.

roseflyer

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:50 am

I've definitely heard of pilots requesting the runway, but often it is not allowed. They will not let a plane land on the crosswind runway if they have any traffic lined up for the parallel runways. They give a lot of space, which seems to be way more than necessary, but it's for safety.

After 7pm, turbine aircraft are not permitted to use the crosswind runway without penatly due to noise abatement.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Tornado82

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:21 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 4):

After 7pm, turbine aircraft are not permitted to use the crosswind runway without penatly due to noise abatement.

Really? Looking at Google Earth (and my semi limited knowledge of the SW side of Indy due to the g/f living there) there doesn't seem to be many houses in the extended centerline for approaches to 32, and nowhere near as many on the approach to the 23's. Even the 5's have some housing on approach in the edges of Camby/Mooresville/Plainfield.

Along those lines... maybe one of you Indyphiles can help me on this. West of Rt 67, a few miles south of the airport and just north of Mooresville (the opposite side of 67 from the Heartland Crossing area), near the Marion/Hendricks/Morgan county line area, there are some random fields/woods/marshes on some of the county roads to the west of SR 67 with "Property of Indianapolis Airport Authority" signs all over them. This land probably amounts to several hundred (maybe > 1000) acres all together. What is the story with this? It is far too far away from IND for any kind of expansion plans in the future, yet far too close to IND (and pretty near the ILS's to the 5's) to ever become any kind of GA Reliever port like 2R2 or EYE.

chase

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 5):
there are some random fields/woods/marshes

I heard that 10 or 15 years ago, IND bought up a lot of houses somewhere near the airport. I was told this by someone who used to live in one of those houses. If I remember correctly, the reason was noise...or to have someplace to dump fuel over, or something like that. Obviously my memory is really foggy here, and it was 2nd hand info anyway, but this may have something to do with the land you're referring to.

(Left out a crucial bit - I would assume if they bought houses, with the intention of those houses not being occupied thereafter, then they probably bulldozed them)

WA707atMSP

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:49 pm

On days with no winds and light traffic, IND will occasionally use both 14 and 32 for departures, depending on which direction an aircraft is headed.

I saw this happen once on a Sunday; I was headed for MDW, so we used 32, but other airlines headed east / south departed on 14. One of my friends who lives near IND confirmed that this isn't uncommon.

Accidentally

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:14 pm

I've seen Fedex DC10/MD11s use that runway...rare sight, though.

-Cory
Indianapolis, IN

RW170

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting 7E72004 (Thread starter):

You're correct. I've seen ATA L-1011's take off and land on 14/32 as recently as a year ago, and have also seen FedEx widebodies land on the runway.
319/320/321/712/733/734/735/73G/738/752/753/763/CR2/CR9/DH8/135/145/170/175/190/D9S/D94/D95/M82/M83/M88

Tornado82

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting Chase (Reply 6):
I heard that 10 or 15 years ago, IND bought up a lot of houses somewhere near the airport. I was told this by someone who used to live in one of those houses. If I remember correctly, the reason was noise...or to have someplace to dump fuel over, or something like that. Obviously my memory is really foggy here, and it was 2nd hand info anyway, but this may have something to do with the land you're referring to.

Makes sense as it does seem to be directly under the centerline from the 5/23's... though it sounds quite expensive. They should have made it into park land though instead of the no trespassing signs... kids on a swing set won't mind the noise of a MD11.

dispatcher

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Thread starter):
what is the largest aircraft that can take-off/land on it?

An MD-11 can depart on a standard day zero wind off 14 at 505.2K, 32 at 503.4. That's significantly below MTOGW (630.5) but still within reason. The limiting factor in both cases is the runway length (7280').

why is this runway not used more often?

It simply breaks up the flow, depending on the wind conditions and time of day it's easier to do arrivals on the 5's and departures on the 23's.

Quoting Chase (Reply 6):

(Left out a crucial bit - I would assume if they bought houses, with the intention of those houses not being occupied thereafter, then they probably bulldozed them)

checkmark 

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos