Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

b757lvr

RE: Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part Xxii

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:35 pm

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 42):
That's probably to allow easier access to the folks in Sourfriere, Vieux Fort, Dennery, and other southern towns to have more options as opposed to going up north to George F. Charles.

Thats a great point WestIndian. This has always been a concern of the residents who live in the south of the island and had never prompted any changes before now from Eagle; in any event it is a welcome change, I think that flight should do well.

caribbean484

Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:50 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 48):
NO- I take that back- My Christmas wish is for Caribbean Airlines to announce MAJOR expansion plans and fleet acquisition plans as well as announcing a profit. Perhaps we can have a special Christmas edition of the thread!! hehe

AA you know that is my christmas wish too lol.

JM has added more flights for the busy christmas season
http://www.caribbeannetnews.com/news-4248--10-10--.html
All ah we is one family

caribbean484

Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:52 pm

The was an incident between a Caribbean Airlines a/c in KIN and a convey belt, as a result flight from KIN is delayed

Port of Spain, November 01, 2007
Caribbean Airlines Travel Advisory
Caribbean Airlines announces the following delays and flight cancellations triggered by a minor ramp incident involving a conveyor belt and one of its aircraft at Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston Jamaica. Today:

• Flight 415 between Kingston and Port-of-Spain is delayed
• Flights 490 from Port-of-Spain to Barbados and 491 from Barbados to Port-of-Spain are canceled

Tomorrow:
• Flight 492 between Georgetown Guyana and Port-of-Spain is canceled

We are working assiduously to accommodate all affected passengers and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. The safety and security of our passengers is our number one priority.
All ah we is one family

westindian425

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 52):
The was an incident between a Caribbean Airlines a/c in KIN and a convey belt, as a result flight from KIN is delayed

Port of Spain, November 01, 2007
Caribbean Airlines Travel Advisory
Caribbean Airlines announces the following delays and flight cancellations triggered by a minor ramp incident involving a conveyor belt and one of its aircraft at Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston Jamaica. Today:

• Flight 415 between Kingston and Port-of-Spain is delayed
• Flights 490 from Port-of-Spain to Barbados and 491 from Barbados to Port-of-Spain are canceled

Tomorrow:
• Flight 492 between Georgetown Guyana and Port-of-Spain is canceled

We are working assiduously to accommodate all affected passengers and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. The safety and security of our passengers is our number one priority.

Wow...here we go again with the rampers damaging aircraft. Remember when that made big news in Piarco with the number of a/c being damaged by ramp vehicles?
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

BWIA 772

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:48 pm

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 49):
Actually the Christmas/New Year season would be an unofficial year review of CAL. It'll be nice to see how well it's done. That would make for a nice thread indeed. Smile

Agreed!!! I think this is going to be interesting. Right now we have two schools of thought about restructuring our airlines. The first is the BW/CAL or as I like to call it the Davies et al model and then the LI JM et al model. Both models have their benefits and draw backs and the most interesting of all is that only time will tell which model is best!!!!

So yes guys refine your arguments, and research your points because we are not only going to reviewing the airlines but what we think about the methods.

BTW fellow trinis allyuh going to be online monday following the elections??

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

caribbean484

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 54):
BTW fellow trinis allyuh going to be online monday following the elections??

Yeah man at night.

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 53):
Wow...here we go again with the rampers damaging aircraft. Remember when that made big news in Piarco with the number of a/c being damaged by ramp vehicles?

Yep I remember that time, one BWIA 737 and A340 was damagen, then a CO 737.
All ah we is one family

aa1818

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 51):

Yea mate. I'm sure BWIA772 wishes the same!!

So yes guys refine your arguments, and research your points because we are not only going to reviewing the airlines but what we think about the methods.

I look forward to it!! But without some of the raw data that is confidential within the airlines, we will really never know. We need these companies to go public with the information!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

speedbird2263

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 29):
BTW Did VS really invest in a new aircraft for this route?

Negative...That's either Incompetent Journalism when it comes to deciphering the hard facts, as is per usual with aviation reporting, or just a PR spin by the Virgin Boss. If they really had invested in a new aircraft for the route, it would have been alot more believable if it was an A346 that had been used on the Inaugural. That and I dont know of any new leases on the 744 made by Virgin which could also substantiate the "new aircraft claim".

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 2):
The current administration plans to use the current fleet of A340 to use on trunk routes to JFK, YYZ and soon to the Caribbean from JFK during the winter period in order to accommodate the excess bags.

I must admit that although Im happy to see the A343's staying on for now, that plan can only be made viable for so long, with the winter season coming up, JM stands to make good use of the birds, however one has to wonder just how efficient that operation will be following the winter season. Virgin's head Honcho made a good point dislike it as we may, that LHR is simply too expensive to operate from without a significant ROI. In the case of JM and the government obviously trying to re-negotiate, one could possibly justify the route as a "Flagship" route per say, (since its evident that the government is concerned with national pride) but only if break even is the bare minimum.
Yes one could make the argument also as has been mentioned, that the route would be an incentive for a potential buyer/Investor however, IMHO the airline at the moment should concentrate on first a break even, geared towards eventual profitability. Branson also made the point that both BA and VS currently operate all their caribbean flights from LGW. Now with the lower related expenses of operating from LGW, that would be a very good market for JM, given of course the fact they also have a very loyal passenger base. Many may forget that JM use to operate to MAN, and Im not sure of the load factor that they had on the route, but cautious assumption leads me to believe that it was lower than the LHR route as it was the first to go during rationalization. Therefore it stands to reason the LGW would be a viable alternative for JM until a probable future return to LHR is deemed possible.

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 7):
Is JM still sourcing the A319s???

I sincerely believe that if they are to continue on to more efficient operations as Conway had outlined, that it would be in there best interest to continue with that plan. (*On a sidenote, I gathered from the NK website that they have 20 A320's on order, anyone know what routes they would possibly be focused on?)

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 24):
The Air Jamaica scheme is the best, because.. hmm.. because.. hmm because I say so! Big grin Seriously it's the only airline left in the whole area with some color. As much as I like hummingbirds.. I hope I could've said the same about 'caribbean airlines' lol

Im not just saying this simply because JM is the home airline  Wink but the current scheme, albeit quite interesting when you think of the various colours used, screams Caribbean and even more so Jamaica. I remember the first time I saw JM colours from the ground in MIA, I was driving north on the Palmetto just before the approach path to rwy 9 at MIA, and I saw one of the A320's gracefully gliding in to a greaser; those colours immediately ignited national pride.  cheerful  I'll be the first to admit though that a worn JM livery does look rather dis-tasteful, however in full scheme and just out of the paint shop, just blows me away really  Wink
Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

hummingbird

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:08 am

JM has new C.E.O.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20071102/news/news2.html

More controversy surrounding LHR slot sale.

Gatwick slots are 'junk', says Henry
published: Friday | November 2, 2007

Janet Silvera, Senior Tourism Writer

Mike Henry, Minister of Transport and Works, says Jamaica got a raw deal on the sale of the London route to Virgin Atlantic. - File

Minister of Transport and Works, Mike Henry, has vowed to press ahead with the review of the Virgin Atlantic contract, saying Air Jamaica and the country were given a raw deal with "junk" slots at Gatwick Airport, London.

He is now demanding three of the seven positions that Virgin now holds at the Heathrow International.

"We are not a Fifth-World country, we are developed," said Henry, following a meeting between Virgin chairman Sir Richard Branson and Prime Minister Bruce Golding.

Standing firm

Henry was not swayed even after attempts by Branson to charm him at a social event in St. Mary Wednesday.

The Transport Minister said he was looking to get out of the deal but would be doing an updated valuation of the slots.

Virgin paid Air Jamaica £5.1 million for its rights to the Kingston-London route.

"In the first place the Air Jamaica position should have been leased and not sold," he said.

Aspects of the contract are still to be signed off on to fully implement the code-share deal between Virgin and Air Jamaica, but the airline's director of corporate communications, Paul Charles, says Virgin is still not about to back down.

Branson said Tuesday that Virgin had invested US$200 million in the route, on which flights were inaugurated this week.

Charles said it was important that foreign businesses in Jamaica are given the confidence to trust the Government and Air Jamaica.

"Otherwise there will be question marks relating to the level of risk when a company invests in this country."

The Virgin Atlantic executive says it is unusual for Governments to undo agreements signed by their predecessors.

In response Henry's charge tagging the Gatwick slots as junk, Charles said that airport was a better connection to London than Heathrow for Jamaican.

The airline plans to increase its load factor with an additional five flights into Montego Bay from London, Gatwick bringing in 15,000 more passengers this holiday season, starting December 22.

"Jamaica has been a huge success since we launched the Montego Bay service last year," he said. An average 30,000 passengers flew into the island via Virgin within the period.

"As the economy improves and more hotels are developed, we hope to add extra permanent flights to the route," the senior vice president stated cautiously, adding that decisions regarding the Jamaican market were constantly under review."

He said that currently there was not enough demand to have a daily London flight.
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

hummingbird

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:05 am

speedbird2263

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 59):
The confirmation.

A rather interesting turn of events given the time line between press reports. Looking at the bright side however, the code share allows for continued revenue in place of the discontinued route. I for one am sure looking keenly towards the next couple of weeks, should be further interesting happenings at JM.

Quote:
"We will be working closely with Air J to get as many people coming to Jamaica as possible to fill up the hotels and restaurants and help the economy of the country which we are determined to do," said the billionaire airline boss.
He said he would also be very happy to provide the necessary expertise that Air Jamaica required.

"We could send some of our people in to see if we can help to work together to strengthen the company," said Branson.

Is it just me being a tad circumspect or do I detect a note of slight "smugness".  scratchchin 

[Edited 2007-11-02 00:38:32]
Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

hummingbird

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:50 am

With all said and done, I strong belive BA would have done the same with the LHR slots. What would they have done with 9 weekly flights to Jamaica when in fact they currently offer twice weekly service. What was done in terms of offering VS the slots levels the playing field as both airlines are competitive at nature.

BTW look out for VS sending their A340 to MBJ in addition to their B747-400.

BWIA 772

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:51 am

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 59):

Look at how the bhagee boil down  rotfl 

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 56):
Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 51):

Yea mate. I'm sure BWIA772 wishes the same!!

I look forward to it!! But without some of the raw data that is confidential within the airlines, we will really never know. We need these companies to go public with the information!

AA1818

Even with our limited info we could still take a crack of it, it should be fun. All we have to do is remember that we are going on very limited info!!

As for CAL while I would like to hear expansion into BGI but there is nothing really to pressure CAL into putting that on their list of main priorities. So I am going to be realistic and expect to see GEO and POS expansion with BGI being shafted with dash 8 service!!

Regards
Eagles Soar!

aa1818

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 62):
As for CAL while I would like to hear expansion into BGI but there is nothing really to pressure CAL into putting that on their list of main priorities. So I am going to be realistic and expect to see GEO and POS expansion with BGI being shafted with dash 8 service!!

I think expansion ex-BGI will be next on the agenda. No new routes, just simply picking up where they left off. This is my opinion though. Unless they want to be daring and try PHL, IAD or FLL, or stupid and try ATL or IAH, then Caribbean Airlines will have to look at pushing BGI again to get maximum utilization out of their aircraft.

One route I think that could be great if they got 5th freedom would be POS-CUR-SDQ. Ideally a route like that should be done with a plane like the E1170/190 daily, but the 737-800 2x weekly could probably work wonders for extra revenue and PROFITS!

I believe BGI is the next focal point for CAL. the 737's will remain on the route as well- don't they send 2 737s daily? Loads are usually good. Yields shud be high given the fares. Dash 8's unless they sent like 6 or 7 a day wouldn't work. Think about the freight as well as the BA LGW connection that needs to be maintained at a high level.

P.s- do we have any members here that work for Caribbean Airlines? just curious!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

caribbean484

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 63):
I think expansion ex-BGI will be next on the agenda. No new routes, just simply picking up where they left off. This is my opinion though. Unless they want to be daring and try PHL, IAD or FLL, or stupid and try ATL or IAH, then Caribbean Airlines will have to look at pushing BGI again to get maximum utilization out of their aircraft.

Well I have been hearing bout BGI for some time now when they start their expansion mode, so hopefully it will take place before summer next year.
I think IAH or ATL can work but have to do route joining with BGI, ANU or some other island(s).
All ah we is one family

BWIA 772

Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:05 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 63):

I did not mean that CAL will dump the 737 service what I meant is that big BGI expansion may end up coming in the form of CALX expansion!!

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 64):

I guess with in the next 6 months we should know if BGI is back on their agenda. It will be interesting to see how JM and AA react. With good service they should be able to hold their own!!

Regards
Eagles Soar!

Caymanair

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:08 am

So work and school have been keeping me busy....so i'll just take this chance to say my peace

LIAT:

I haven't commented on the merger yet because I wanted to see how it progressed. We, im very unimpressed with the results as it stands. Hopefully CALX can become a competitor to AT (Antigua)">LI and the fares will go down a bit. I can understand if you can't buy a $50 r/t airfare, but paying $450 for a 20 minute inter island hope is ridiculous. Their should really be a regional body to regulate inter island airfares where a monopoly exists.

CAL and CALX:

The government of TnT clearly abandoned BGI because of economic and political reason. Starting up CAL was a big risk that cost TT government a lot of money. Remember, if they had just let market forces take care of Bwee it would have cost a lot less....and its arguable that other carriers would have filled the void at no direct cost to TT. They simply weren't willing to shell out more public funds to support Barbados. It would be even more costly and as a result a bigger economic risk to TT. Also, Barbados wasn't exactly willing to give CAL the support it would need to remain in Barbados without TT government money. Now that CAL is proving to be a more stable company that Bwee, I'm sure it will look to Barbados as a source of profits. In that case, service in and out of Barbados should be based purely on economics and not politics. If Barbados wants Bwee to return to its former prominence in BGI, they'll need to put their money where their mouth is.

CALX is a great start for CAL's regional expansion. If managed properly, it will give CAL a foothold in other Caribbean markets and they can start building a reputation for good service and fair prices. That way, if they decide to upgrade services to 737-800s or add international flights originating in other countries they won't be starting from scratch. CALX will also work as an island hopper for business people who travel often both regionally and internationally and tourists looking to cover more than one island during their holidays. It also puts the government run airbridge at an advantage because of the economies of scale now possible because it is part of the wider CAL network.

Air Jamaica....o boy:

mi wa uncle butch fi come back.......lawd mi cyaa stan di suffrin....

Poor AJ. It seems like it is in such a bad spot right now being drawn every which way. Service is reaching pre-Buth levels (which aint good AT ALL). For example, KX is operating 3 daily flights to Jamaica over the holidays and I'm sure theyll add more because every single flight is already full. No one will book an AJ ticket because they have basically dropped GCM as a destination. The plane only gets here 2 or 3 days out of the week and all the passengers end up on KX.

I never agreed with the 757/737 idea. I don't think that was based on airline economics. They need to stick with A320 family products (I'd do a mix of A319, A320, and A321) and a longer range, higher capacity plane. The 340's are too large and have proven to be a bad fit for AJ already. 330's would be a better idea.

A KIN-MBJ shuttle is total foolishness.

The jury is still out on whether the London fiasco was beneficial or not. I understand the economic reasoning behind dropping it, but unlike CAL, AJ is not being run according to economic principles. AJ is still, very clearly, a politicized state carrier. Hopefully this government will make a clear agenda for AJ quickly and let it run its course.

Air Caraibes:

Great little airline with a lot of potential, I think. They really don't need to get involved with the English islands...they're relatively small and the market just isn't there. They can more easily serve Spanish and Francophone cities with less risk. I really hope to see they expand further out of PAP and Cayenne. Those E-jets are beautiful in their colours too (the 170 or 175). I hope they get more!

Bahamasair:

What's going on here? You guys are quite as church mouse about them...... and I'm sure there is never a dull day with them. Has your new government done or said anything about the future?

Cayman Airways:

New image is still being pieced together, but by the looks of it it is based very heavily on the Coat of arms. Sort of like one of the much older KX schemes, except updated significantly. I'm not sure if I like the idea totally, but I'll wait to see the full colours. Since their revealing it now though, I don't think they;ll wait till the new 733 comes in February.....There must be one out now getting the scheme.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John-4A7 Spotters
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vito Cedrini

The new interiors are also said to be pretty nice....not PTVs, but overheads every couple rows. The new seats are just roomier, and there will be more legroom cuz they're taking rows out.

Caribbean Sun:

Any news on this front? I'm very curious about this 'new' one. People who have been in the Caribbean aviation scene as long as they hjave should know how risky this venture is.

PS: AJ scheme looks beautiful.....one of the best I've ever seen. however, faded it looks really bad.

[Edited 2007-11-02 17:12:14]

albird87

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting Caymanair (Reply 16):
Just some news:

Cayman Airways is holding me in serious suspense....they are revealing their new image VERY VERY SLOWLY. They started on Monday. Basically what they're doing is giving people a piece of the puzzle every day in the news papers.....one small square at a time. We have 3 squares now.

I have noticed, however, that they have changed the logo slightly, adopting a thinner font than what they use now. everything has been changed to reflect that much, at least.

AHHHHHHH thats what that is!!! I get it now!! I thought it was another waste on money for a shite advert!! (probably still is..... Just get it over and done with will ya!)

Looking in Fridays paper it does look like its just the crest of the islands.... so no more Sir Turtle!! Shame this actually as he always looked good no matter where a KX aircraft was!!
As for your theory of a KX aircraft away getting the scheme now... I will have to check on that and count the number of KX aircraft here atm.. I know one was in the hangar today gettin checks but apart from that.... we shall see.....

I actually have a question for all the T&T people out there now.
I am hopefully going to be emplyed by our local ATC here at the beggining of next year and they say that i will have to spend around 6-8 months in POS at the school there. Do any of you have any information about this school or a website of the school??

aa1818

Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 67):
I actually have a question for all the T&T people out there now.
I am hopefully going to be emplyed by our local ATC here at the beggining of next year and they say that i will have to spend around 6-8 months in POS at the school there. Do any of you have any information about this school or a website of the school??

I have no idea about that. I'll be home on the 2nd of December and can make some enquiries for you if u like. I'm sure someone on here knows about it though!!

AA1818

Caymanair

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 67):
so no more Sir Turtle!! Shame this actually as he always looked good no matter where a KX aircraft was!!

It seems like Sir Turtle has moved to the body of the airplane.......in front of the name, like in the logo i assume.

md90fan
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:37 am

Today Nassau received the 764 from CO!

Quoting Caymanair (Reply 66):
So work and school have been keeping me busy....so i'll just take this chance to say my peace

Welcome back comrade, it is a genuine pleasure to have you back again.

They can more easily serve Spanish and Francophone cities with less risk. I really hope to see they expand further out of PAP and Cayenne. Those E-jets are beautiful in their colours too (the 170 or 175). I hope they get more!

They are receiving a sole E-190 next month and it will deployed on new routes to Panama City and San Jose, amongst other places.

What's going on here? You guys are quite as church mouse about them...... and I'm sure there is never a dull day with them. Has your new government done or said anything about the future?

I havn't heard much about them either, besides that they are assisting in the relief operations in the aftermath of Hurricane Noel. I heard that both airports in my native Long Island were flooded!

Quoting FWI747 (Reply 34):
San Juan and Panama City will be serve with a brand new ERJ190 twice a week from FDF and PTP. The 100 seat jet will be delivered early December.

San Juan? (SJU) Are you sure your not mixing it up with SJO? San Jose, Costa Rica which is launching this winter.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

FWI747

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 70):
San Juan? (SJU) Are you sure your not mixing it up with SJO? San Jose, Costa Rica which is launching this winter.

Your right, just a typo, I meant SJO of course.

I really hope to see they expand further out of PAP and Cayenne.

Me too, and I think they were thinking about it some months ago but know that AF is willing to expand its services I think its on the afterburner. Just wait and see for a couple months !

BTW, I'm glad to be here with you - it's a great pleasure to me having such informative and rich opinions about Air transport in my native region. I'm new here and for the aviation world.
In two words after receiving my qualification as an ATC I joined a recently created Gvt service where I'm, amongst many people, in charge of analysing air and ground ATC incidents at Orly Airport.

Cheers  wave 

David

jm017

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:30 pm

For example, KX is operating 3 daily flights to Jamaica over the holidays and I'm sure theyll add more because every single flight is already full. No one will book an AJ ticket because they have basically dropped GCM as a destination. The plane only gets here 2 or 3 days out of the week and all the passengers end up on KX.

It took me awhile to figure this out. But JM has a plan to become profitable that does NOT involve flying dependable, more profitable routes. That would just be too obvious.  sarcastic . Seriously, I do hope the new gov't comes up with something concrete soon. The KIN-MBJ shuttle was the brainchild of the previous CEO. Some activities make sense (the EC flights, for example) but other moves are baffling (reducing flights to GCM). The quality of service seems to be a problem and not improving.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

bloodyrascal

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:41 pm

WS has restarted there YUL-ZSA-NAS-YUL route (correct me if I am wrong).

And BA had two flights to LHR yesterday from NAS.

Quoting JM017 (Reply 72):
But JM has a plan to become profitable that does NOT involve flying dependable, more profitable routes.

Really not in the state there in :O Lets go JM I am cheering for you but reducing there GCM flights is probably a bad idea just keep it a daily service from both KIN and MBJ

Quoting JM017 (Reply 72):
The KIN-MBJ shuttle was the brainchild of the previous CEO.

They now have competition on that route as KX has a flight between KIN-MBJ now. And already knowing Jamaicans dont like props flying the 319 is going to waste i say they use a older 320 or 321 or something for that route and use the 319 to expand because of its range and in some markets that aren't as profitable MBJ-LAX (forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Surpisingly UP has been quiet come on i really hope they strike gold and get some new planes i also think they should start having aircraft strictly for cargo only (a solution to the excess baggage left behind in MIA)

AUA747

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:48 pm

Just heard on the news that a an aircraft in CUR made a belly landing, may be A388 can give us some feedback on this. Apperently its US military aircraft that is based in CUR

miamix707

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:47 pm

Quoting Speedbird2263 (Reply 57):
I remember the first time I saw JM colours from the ground in MIA, I was driving north on the Palmetto just before the approach path to rwy 9 at MIA

Cool Big grin I absolutely loved the Air Jamaica colors since I saw the 727 in old colors at the apron at KIN. I loved that old scheme as well on the A300s.

The current JM colors are out of control. Some nitpickers argue the colors are too way out there. Yep they sure are bright and distinctive enough to make one look twice! Simply irie mon! That's why I love 'em.

Btw, as small as the Caribbean may be, every country has it's ovwn very different identity so it's a good thing to have separate airlines. If managed right, these carriers don't have to merge or disappear. Glad there haven't been any large mergers.

The 340's are too large and have proven to be a bad fit for AJ already. 330's would be a better idea.

Which begs the question, what was so wrong with the A310s? Wouldn't that plane be perfect?

jm017

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:13 pm

Quoting Bloodyrascal (Reply 73):
And already knowing Jamaicans dont like props flying the 319 is going to waste i say they use a older 320 or 321 or something for that route and use the 319 to expand because of its range and in some markets that aren't as profitable MBJ-LAX (forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I'd use the 319 on other routes too. It might also help cut out MBJ-KIN and KIN-MBJ hops if it's used on thinner routes. As for the connection between KIN and MBJ, business travellers actually liked the turbo props from KTP because of its proximity to the city. There is talk about replacing KTP after it closes, but I have heard nothing recently.

For other travellers, I would consider the A318 and even smaller jets, such the ERJ 170. I think with fewer intra-island hops added to flights from North America and the caribbean, there will be less demand for the intra-island hops, hence the use of smaller planes that can handle the wear and tear of these sectors. Notice I am ignoring the costs associated with adding and maintaining new aircraft types (ERJ-170) because I am not qualified to do a cost-benefit analysis. I am only thinking of aircraft capacity.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

mbj-11

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:46 pm

Just of note, Mr Henry still insists despite what was reported that the VS deal is still to be reviewed and he plans to see what can be done to get a better deal. Couple folks in the UK have taken up the issue as VS has decided to give the slot to its Barbados flights. Nice work Omar, you're as smart as a wet sponge!!
On the other hand............I'm still marooned in my home, my road is under 4 ft of water, which currently is among the lowest height of all flooded areas, but I am still alive. Give god thanks.
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

hummingbird

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 77):

News Flash.!!!!!!!!!

Mr RB has an interest in acquiring shares in JM.

beeweel15

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 78):
News Flash.!!!!!!!!!

Mr RB has an interest in acquiring shares in JM.

Well lets see he has:

Virgin Atlantic - UK
Virgin Nigeria - Africa
Virgin Blue & Pacific Blue & Polynesian Blue - Austraila
Virgin America - USA
V Jet - Austrailia ( Soon to be fly between Austraili and the US with 777-300ER's)
Virgin Caribbean ( Might happen if Mr. RB buys shares in JM or buys out the whole airline. You never know)

mbj-11

Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:38 am

He did say he might want "interest" in the airline following discussions with PM Golding (thanks JM-airbus320). But to what extent is left to be seen. The reason behind it is yes.........to create possibly Caribbean virgin (no name change by the way) in an effort to give VS a foothold in the region and possibly rival Taca in terms of structure.
Again, I say, an interest is on JM's part to enter into talks with EK, although VS is on the plate now. But who knows, Virgin America uses buses, JM uses' buses, so you might see some alliance and exchange or fleet support that's "if" Branson goes past his interest.

* He has to appease on Mike Henry first. This dude ain't a fan of the Brits........long story which unless you understand his reasoning, you will think he is biased. But........he does have a claim I have to give him that.

Give god thanks.
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

bloodyrascal

Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:36 am

Just thought I would let The Bahamian spotters out there that tomorrow(Monday) Westjet will commence there NAS-YYC service.

miamix707

Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:21 am

Air Jamaica Virgin? The Virgin brand looks hideous and is very tacky compared to the AJ colors.

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 79):
Virgin Caribbean ( Might happen if Mr. RB buys shares in JM or buys out the whole airline. You never know)

I never thought I'd say this but.. there are too many Virgins!

BWIA 772

Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:33 am

Virgin Caribbean hmmm I am not liking the name. However if VS was became an investor in JM it would certainly change up aviation in the region. Besides being great of Jamaica and the airline the other Caribbean destinations may get a greater benefit as JM may look to increase the level of service from the US to the other islands!!

Besides if this does come through we are 1 step closer to flying the world like a Virgin Big grin

Regards
Eagles Soar!

TransIsland

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting Bloodyrascal (Reply 73):

And BA had two flights to LHR yesterday from NAS.

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 70):
Today Nassau received the 764 from CO!

Most likely both of these events are caused by TS Noel, which had MYNN closed half of Tuesday, all of Wednesday and pretty much all of Thursday. There are more people who need to be moved than normal.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

beeweel15

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 68):
I have no idea about that. I'll be home on the 2nd of December and can make some enquiries for you if u like. I'm sure someone on here knows about it though!!

AA1818

Will you be passing through JFK airport

MAH4546

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:00 am

FWIW, talk is that Virgin America is looking at launching USA-Caribbean flights, with MIA their main base for those flights, in 2009/10. The Caribbean would be a perfect market for them, especially some of the higher-yielding resort islands.
a.

aa1818

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:07 pm

Unfortunately not!

Will be routes- LHR-ORD-MIA and then the next day MIA-POS.

I am thinking about changing the booking though- anyone knows if i can just ring up AA and ask them to re-route me- final destination remaining the same?!?!

Today is elections in POS. With another 5 years of Manning seeming most likely, Caribbean Airline's future seems stable- at least for now!!

Cheers
AA1818

beeweel15

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:17 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 87):
I am thinking about changing the booking though- anyone knows if i can just ring up AA and ask them to re-route me- final destination remaining the same?!?!

You should be able to do that just make sure you dont have to pay any fees to do it but most times it should not cost anything.

You can do LHR - JFK then RON and the next day do JFK - MIA - POS

albird87

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:21 pm

Just to let you know that KX will be showing off their new livery today down here in GCM. there is a big advert in the paper today inviting people to come to the hangar from 3 till 5 to see the new brand of KX!! Will be down there hoping to pop a couple of photos and see the new scheme.

miamix707

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:31 pm

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 89):
Just to let you know that KX will be showing off their new livery today down here in GCM. there is a big advert in the paper today inviting people to come to the hangar from 3 till 5 to see the new brand of KX!! Will be down there hoping to pop a couple of photos and see the new scheme.

When there's so much fanfare it usually means the livery is sort of crappy or not very interesting at all. Like when AC came out with their new one.

Hopefully not this time..

aa1818

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:10 pm

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 89):

Looking forward to seeing some photos- please post them here as soon as u get them...i haven't even seen the pieces from the puzzle ads they ran in the news paper about the new livery, so i have no idea what to expect other than reading about the coat of arms somewhere on here!!

AA1818

yellowtail

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:28 pm

This would be great idea in the long run I think.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

bw415

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:02 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 87):

AA1818... I dunno if I told you already.. but I recently changed my flights to go home.. so now I'm coming on the 17th instead of the 20th.. There will be a change fee involved though.. its usually 100 dollars plus any additional fare difference in the new ticket.. However.. depending on your advantage status you may be able to have the fees wavered depending on what type of elite status you have.

I will not be flying AA for a while though. I am really tired of their shoddy service.. .. changing times of flights every 2 minutes... excess fees.. charging me VAT when the point of sale is outside of Trinidad and the point of origin is outside of Trinidad...and PLAIN SCREWING ME OVER!... lol.. so I am taking a rest after this trip home from AA.. I'm trying to use up all my miles..and my vouchers for upgrades and other sundry's.. hopefully I get through  Smile..

Caribbean Airlines all de way  Smile !!!...
Caribbean Airlines the warmth of the islands

aa1818

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting Bw415 (Reply 93):
AA1818... I dunno if I told you already.. but I recently changed my flights to go home.. so now I'm coming on the 17th instead of the 20th.. There will be a change fee involved though.. its usually 100 dollars plus any additional fare difference in the new ticket.. However.. depending on your advantage status you may be able to have the fees wavered depending on what type of elite status you have.

I will not be flying AA for a while though. I am really tired of their shoddy service.. .. changing times of flights every 2 minutes... excess fees.. charging me VAT when the point of sale is outside of Trinidad and the point of origin is outside of Trinidad...and PLAIN SCREWING ME OVER!... lol.. so I am taking a rest after this trip home from AA.. I'm trying to use up all my miles..and my vouchers for upgrades and other sundry's.. hopefully I get through ..

Caribbean Airlines all de way !!!...

Glad i'll be seeing 'ya earlier...POS will be dead when i'm home for the first 2 weeks before you et al arrive!!

I won't be changing my day of travel- it will simply be a change in route- i'll ring up tomorrow and try, but i ain't paying $100 USD to change that!!! Looking forward to telling u more of my antics this term anyways!!

Shame you're giving up on AA. I fly them very frequently. Sometimes as many as 30 sectors in a year and I usually have nothing but praise for them...I fly to get from point A to B efficiently, so perhaps we have different expectations in the air!
Good luck with Caribbean Airlines- I hope they continue to grow from strength to strength. I hear their FA's are SMOKING!!!! which could lure me for a few flights a year!!! Although I must say that AA have got some very HOTT chicas themselves!!!

How does AA vs BW compare on the fares to YYZ??

I know this is an aviation forum, but any news on exit polls from POS for those of you in the Caribbean time zone would be greatly appreciated!!! hehe

Cheers
AA1818

BWIA 772

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 94):
Shame you're giving up on AA. I fly them very frequently. Sometimes as many as 30 sectors in a year and I usually have nothing but praise for them...I fly to get from point A to B efficiently, so perhaps we have different expectations in the air!

Quite true.

AA flies to where I want to go and at the prices that allow me to go their often!! Of the 10 flights that I have had this year on AA the only thing that I find annoying is the fact that the F/A seem intent on short changing me when I bought snacks!!

Good luck with Caribbean Airlines- I hope they continue to grow from strength to strength. I hear their FA's are SMOKING!!!! which could lure me for a few flights a year!!! Although I must say that AA have got some very HOTT chicas themselves!!!

Boy AA chicas cannot go close to the ones that CAL have but I am biased towards trini women but now I hear that they brining on guyanese et al so I not too pleased!!

Well I am hoping to do POS again in December so spotting anyone??
Regards
Eagles Soar!

caribbean484

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:12 pm

I haven't commented on the merger yet because I wanted to see how it progressed. We, im very unimpressed with the results as it stands. Hopefully CALX can become a competitor to AT (Antigua)">LI and the fares will go down a bit. I can understand if you can't buy a $50 r/t airfare, but paying $450 for a 20 minute inter island hope is ridiculous. Their should really be a regional body to regulate inter island airfares where a monopoly exists.

I agree with you to some extent. The fares in the region is very high, and then we have to have competition in this region.
All ah we is one family

caribbean484

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting Bw415 (Reply 93):
will not be flying AA for a while though. I am really tired of their shoddy service.. .. changing times of flights every 2 minutes... excess fees.. charging me VAT when the point of sale is outside of Trinidad and the point of origin is outside of Trinidad...and PLAIN SCREWING ME OVER!... lol.. so I am taking a rest after this trip home from AA.. I'm trying to use up all my miles..and my vouchers for upgrades and other sundry's.. hopefully I get through ..

Boy you and me both, but i fly more JB between FLL-JFK. AA service is shoddy, late, rude attendents, old aircrafts and overprice for everything inflight. Plus I'm not feeling their crappy A300, if they had more B767 I may take them.
I'm not going to POS till next year summer, and of course burn some Caribbean Airlines miles. I don't know bout AA1818, BWIA772, but I travel my national airline through thick and thin.
All ah we is one family

caribbean484

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:23 pm

How does AA vs BW compare on the fares to YYZ??

I know this is an aviation forum, but any news on exit polls from POS for those of you in the Caribbean time zone would be greatly appreciated!!! hehe

BW is always cheaper to YYZ than AA or AC.
All ah we is one family

albird87

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:24 pm

Well i now give you.... the new KX!!!
The aircraft came in late (sooo cayman!!) and did an impressive fast flyover of the field and then a slow one followed by her touching down here at GCM. She then got a double water cannon salute from the fire department here and then pulled up to the hangar where the party was underway.
She was flown in by Capt. Chris Mactaggart and when they did the first flyby.... she rocketed by!! I spoke to the capt. later on and i asked him how fast he was going... he replied with 320 knots and they were under 50 feet!! Talk about making a 737 into a fighter!!
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3102.jpg
fast flyby!! I wish i videoed it!!
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3104.jpg
the slow one with gear down.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3109.jpg
After landing and taxing back to the hangar for her warm welcome.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3112.jpg
Water cannon salute... I have never seen one of these in real life till now!!
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3115.jpg
Coming in
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3123.jpg
New tail... I like it!!
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3129.jpg
the Capt and F/O standing for a photo.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3134.jpg
resting now infront of the people waiting to see her.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3138.jpg
going up to see the new interior!!
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3139.jpg
Now thats an office!!
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3140.jpg
hmmmm wonder if these are old AA first seats....
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3142.jpg
Main Cabin
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3143.jpg
Website now on the engine
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3144.jpg
Our crest now on the back of the aircraft. Very Nice!!
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3145.jpg
No guesses who was the origional owner of this bird!!
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3146.jpg
coming out the back lookin at the tail.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18/albird87/DSCN3148.jpg
another great shot of the tail!!

I think these colours are great!! Nicely done KX!!