Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

md90fan
Topic Author

Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part XXII

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:26 am

Hello all,

After nearly 215 posts in Part XXI, the CTAC board has voted to cease all discussion there, and carry on here. Myself on of BWIA772 would like to congratulate the gang on churning out such a meaningful and insightful discussion that is a true reflection of the many opinions harboured by our posters in our loving, tight-knit family. We would like that the continue here in the next chapter of the highly active, and somewhat provocative Caribbean Aviation family of threads, now on on 22nd installment!

News
  • AC will split it's YYZ-POS-CCS and give each destination non-stop flights.
  • Balair to start Zurich-Nassau next year?
  • CALx has made it's debut
  • CM will postpone it's new POS flights, presumably due to a lack of pilots.
  • The JM debacle.....continues! (new partners sought, new board of directors established, Conway sacked!, no rush to find new CEO
  • KX to implement online check-in by November and upgrade the interiors of the 737-300 aircraft
  • 8B's last flight will be November 15, 2007
  • The fiery debate about whether Caribbean locals are deemed fit to run and manage airlines profitably continues.
  • DASH-8 (Q400s) not suited for the Caribbean? Let the games begin! {checkered flag}
  • Welcome Speedbird2263!

http://i5.tinypic.com/2na36gz.gif
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1318/687116044_d1ec3c3485_o.jpg

Au Revoir!

[Edited 2007-10-29 20:27:18]
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

miamix707

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:35 am

Alright to your request I made the first post, so I'm styling. Now if I had a lot to add... lol

Ok here: Anyone wants to guess when Insel will start Miami? and when will Surinam get CAT I status?

Where's the 757s, 737s that JM was supposed to have gotten by now??

hummingbird

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:54 am

This past weekend JM operated its final flight to LHR. It was a sad experience for Jamaicans local and abroad as their trans-atlantic limousine will no longer grace the tarmac at LHR with its vibrant colour scheme. A few flight senior flight attendants worked the flight as additional staff as a farewell to their "seasoned route". The big question being asked by the current administration is why why why did the LHR route fail?.

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 1):

I was told, plans for acquisition are being shelved. The current administration plans to use the current fleet of A340 to use on trunk routes to JFK, YYZ and soon to the Caribbean from JFK during the winter period in order to accommodate the excess bags. Leasing of additional aircraft will be kept to a minimum. 6Y-JMD returned in a white hybrid scheme. Am not sure who was the operator.

Lets see what improvements 2008 will bring for JM ,BW, LI, CU and KX.

Virgin will operate its first flight to KIN today using a 450 seat configured 747-400. It is reported to be a full flight. Wishing them the best.
http://jamaicaobserver.com/news/html...ISITORS_WHO_FLY_FROM_HEATHROW_.asp

I am curious about the operation of Air Caraibes. I know they fly to France, Miami and other regional routes. I just read where they are looking at the A350WB for future growth.
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

2travel2know

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:27 am

Quoting MD90fan (Thread starter):
CM will postpone it's new POS flights, presumably due to a lack of pilots.

I would think that this time around CM will finally start the much awaited POS flights. If they're not planning to start them in Decembre as they've been anounced (POS reapeared on CM inflight magazine route map) why keep POS on their website?
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

westindian425

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 2):
I am curious about the operation of Air Caraibes. I know they fly to France, Miami and other regional routes. I just read where they are looking at the A350WB for future growth.

You know I was just thinking about them last night, as well as Air France with the ERJ-145's in use in the Caribbean. I wanted to know what routes specifically are being used for those aircraft, and whether or not they are certified for ETOPS do do they hug the islands (so to speak).

Also, how well-suited do you guys think the english-speaking national carriers are able to tap into the french-island markets? We know LI already has a presence in Guadeloupe and Martinique (for example), but what about the others? They already tap into the dutch-island markets, even though it's mostly for vacationers/tourists.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

mbj-11

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:00 pm

Well I am back from my brief vacation(which had much stress, but give God thanks).........so lets see where I can assist here. Ok, I flew 6Y-JMD on my trip to Jamaica, very nice interior, the seats were almost spanking new, just needed the plastic then they would have been new. Cockpit looked polished as did the outside of the a/c. From what I could gather it was in Mexico being refurbished, so maybe that's why the hybrid (maybe). Its kinda ironic that the last trip I had was also on the hybrid A320, which now has company. (Change in scheme to lessen cost of paint jobs?)
Yeah, the LHR route was discontinued as of Thursday I was told, but the 340's are still around and up to my leaving MBJ yesterday I was told there was a meeting going on with senior management and ramp, ground supervisors as to the update of what is happening.
Conway...................what can I say? Bye?

As far as I know the 757's are still scheduled despite the upheavals that occurred and there are plans to expand JM's route network to other places beyond its current network. I also was privy to info concerning the refurbishing and upgrade of the aerodrome in Port Antonio (thank god) which was badly neglected by the previous admin, except for the drug flights which were somehow conveniently scheduled every now and then under their watch.(tacky, but true).
Anyway, good to be back here, but now I got TS Noel blowing like crazy outside my window and already my walls,...........yes the walls have begun to leak. So until I have finished with the pail and buckets.........its time to go mop some water.
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

captaink

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:28 pm

soon to the Caribbean from JFK during the winter period in order to accommodate the excess bags.

I like that. I don't know how profitable it is to do it, but as a passenger and not a crazy 'know it all" a.netter I can't wait for the 340s to go to the eastern caribbean.
Look Up

aa1818

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:44 pm

...and the Trinis still dislike the JM livery!! you forgot to add that to the list of hot topics MD90!!
heheh

Who here honestly thinks that pink, blue, yellow and orange go together?? hehehe (I love stirring!!)

Congrats to CAL on the new partnership with BA- Thanks for posting it bw415- i would have missed it altogether!!
I hope CAL and BA continue their relationship. CAL needs to expand and then seek One World membership- and that would make me 100% happy- and I know Caribbean484 is also dying for some CAL expansion!! hehe

Is JM still sourcing the A319s???

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 4):
Also, how well-suited do you guys think the english-speaking national carriers are able to tap into the french-island markets? We know LI already has a presence in Guadeloupe and Martinique (for example), but what about the others? They already tap into the dutch-island markets, even though it's mostly for vacationers/tourists.

I believe BW had a presence, albiet small years ago (correct me if i'm wrong). I think those islands are too much a part of France and not enough a part of the Caribbean other than by location to warrant serious links. Lack of business ties, loads of alternate tourist markets, and still somewhat unknown to many englsih-speaking caribbean dwellers, not great potential for more intra-island links as far as i can tell. I would guess that the LI presence is enough, although Air Caraibes did have flights to POS- are those still running. They were with ERJ145s I believe.

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 3):
Quoting MD90fan (Thread starter):
CM will postpone it's new POS flights, presumably due to a lack of pilots.

I would think that this time around CM will finally start the much awaited POS flights. If they're not planning to start them in Decembre as they've been anounced (POS reapeared on CM inflight magazine route map) why keep POS on their website?

This flight seems cused!! C'mon CM!!! Loads of potential for this flight to be a huge success!! Glad to see POS is still listed. Hopefully 2008 will be the year for new LatAm service!!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

bw415

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:20 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 7):
I think those islands are too much a part of France and not enough a part of the Caribbean other than by location to warrant serious links. Lack of business ties, loads of alternate tourist markets, and still somewhat unknown to many englsih-speaking caribbean dwellers, not great potential for more intra-island links as far as i can tell.

Yeah I'm on board with this one...and I mean even the Air Caraibes website doesn't even have an English version.. correct me if I'm wrong here.. but I have never been able to view this website as my french is quite bad!  Wink ...it just leaves me thinking that these islands on a whole aren't really concerned with the english peaking traveller!

regards,
bw415
Caribbean Airlines the warmth of the islands

WA727

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:39 pm

Any hope for this place? Just kidding. It's the former Bramble airport in Montserrat. I know the new MNI is open on the north side of the island.

Photo taken October, 2006

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/sam85018/Antigua/Antigua085.jpg

westindian425

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:09 pm

Congrats to CAL on the new partnership with BA- Thanks for posting it bw415- i would have missed it altogether!!
I hope CAL and BA continue their relationship. CAL needs to expand and then seek One World membership- and that would make me 100% happy- and I know Caribbean484 is also dying for some CAL expansion!!

I really hope it doesn't get to One World! That would mean they're in cahoots with AA (the evil empire).  stirthepot 

Quoting WA727 (Reply 9):
Any hope for this place? Just kidding. It's the former Bramble airport in Montserrat. I know the new MNI is open on the north side of the island.

Photo taken October, 2006

Nice to see some greenery growing there at least.

I believe BW had a presence, albiet small years ago (correct me if i'm wrong). I think those islands are too much a part of France and not enough a part of the Caribbean other than by location to warrant serious links. Lack of business ties, loads of alternate tourist markets, and still somewhat unknown to many englsih-speaking caribbean dwellers, not great potential for more intra-island links as far as i can tell. I would guess that the LI presence is enough, although Air Caraibes did have flights to POS- are those still running. They were with ERJ145s I believe.

Are these islands even a part of CARICOM?

aa1818

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Quoting Bw415 (Reply 8):
it just leaves me thinking that these islands on a whole aren't really concerned with the english peaking traveller!

but they did at one point (perhaps even now too) fly to POS with ERJ145s. Probably shopping and minimal business trips, and even less VFR, since Trinidad is home to many 'French creole' with Martinique and Guadeloupe connections. I wouldn't be suprised if that isn't enough to sustain the route!!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

aa1818

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 10):
That would mean they're in cahoots with AA (the evil empire).

STEADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..you're on thin ice mate!!! hehehe

Are these islands even a part of CARICOM?

As far as I know...No!

AA1818

FWI747

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi, this will provide more than a long speech ...

Big version: Width: 696 Height: 492 File size: 61kb

As for the future they're planning to fly to Panama and maybe Cayenne as a compensation offered by french gvt for having granted Air France's expansion in the Caraïbes.

In a nutshell Air Caraïbes CEA is trying to push Airbus to propose a 10 abreast version of the A350 XWB, which IMO is highly unlikely and would be even tighter than AF's crowded 472 seated T7
 eyepopping   crowded 

He stated a need for four 450 seat airplanes in two classes for 2015;although it would imply a loss in commonality with the actual fleet, he's also considering an improved and re-engined version of the B773 .

David

aa1818

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:41 pm

Quoting FWI747 (Reply 13):
As for the future they're planning to fly to Panama and maybe Cayenne as a compensation offered by french gvt for having granted Air France's expansion in the Caraïbes.

I don't understand where compensation comes in to this?!! Will the French Gov't subsidize the routes to Panama and Cayenne?

AA1818

beeweel15

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:56 pm

I hope CAL and BA continue their relationship. CAL needs to expand and then seek One World membership- and that would make me 100% happy- and I know Caribbean484 is also dying for some CAL expansion!!

I really hope it doesn't get to One World! That would mean they're in cahoots with AA (the evil empire).

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 12):
That would mean they're in cahoots with AA (the evil empire).

STEADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..you're on thin ice mate!!! hehehe

I remember years back at JFK when the original BW moved to Terminal 8 for AA to do the ground handling. BW was laughed at once again for such a stupid move people questioned why did they go to your biggest competitor to do all your business at JFK.

Now with the case for one world on the good side it give me a reason to fly BW again so I can gain miles to maybe get a free ticket on BA. On the bad side With BA given the opportunity to take over the BW routes to the Caribbean it could happen on the other end. AA has the presence and could just start flying non stops again to POS from JFK and MIA maybe IAH, with their 767-300 , A300-600 and 777-20ER fleet, with the BW code on the flights. BW just took over the airbridge between POS & TAB that fleet could be expanded and used to expand regionally to feed those AA flights. Now this might not happen but always keep it in the back of your mind as a possibility.

Caymanair

RE: Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part Xxii

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:02 pm

Just some news:

Cayman Airways is holding me in serious suspense....they are revealing their new image VERY VERY SLOWLY. They started on Monday. Basically what they're doing is giving people a piece of the puzzle every day in the news papers.....one small square at a time. We have 3 squares now.

I have noticed, however, that they have changed the logo slightly, adopting a thinner font than what they use now. everything has been changed to reflect that much, at least.

Big version: Width: 150 Height: 150 File size: 5kb
Big version: Width: 230 Height: 84 File size: 4kb

[Edited 2007-10-30 12:06:27]

trintocan

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:16 pm

BW did fly to FDF back in the mid 1980s, around 1984 I remember they started flying there with the Avros (HS 748) fleet - they started GND at the same time. The flights were cut after a few years. Air Martinique then came to POS for a few years but itself left. The AF / Air Caraibes flights to FDF and CAY ended sometime around 2004-2005. LI is thus the main link with the French West Indies.

There are indeed some ties between Trinidad and the French Islands although they seem to be too small to sustain regular flights between the two. The French Islands are not Caricom members - that would not be possible as foreign affairs are handled by France, which would have itself have to join to enable the Islands to participate.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

FWI747

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:12 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 14):
Will the French Gov't subsidize the routes to Panama and Cayenne?

Not at all but when AF applied to have more routes in the region, the French Aviation High Council gave a negative response; but being only an advisory board, the French Gvt decided against it and granted AF's request...
That's why this council recommended to allow Air Caraïbes to fly to Cayenne from Paris and it's totally disconnected to opening of the route to Panama.

David

beeweel15

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:54 pm

To get off the path a bit, If you were to travel on a 777 one had a wider 3x3x3 arrangement with 32/33 inch pitch or narrower 3x4x3 arrangement with a 34/35 inch pitch which will you all prefer.

FWI747

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 19):
If you were to travel on a 777 one had a wider 3x3x3 arrangement with 32/33 inch pitch or narrower 3x4x3 arrangement with a 34/35 inch pitch which will you all prefer.

The second one, I like to have a walk from time to time especially on those long flights; but honestly I'd prefer a 2x5x2 arrangement (with a window seat of course!)  Wink

David

aa1818

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:12 pm

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 19):
To get off the path a bit, If you were to travel on a 777 one had a wider 3x3x3 arrangement with 32/33 inch pitch or narrower 3x4x3 arrangement with a 34/35 inch pitch which will you all prefer.

Probably the second one for the extra pitch- at 6'2" 31/32 in is still a bit tight!!

Quoting FWI747 (Reply 18):
Not at all but when AF applied to have more routes in the region, the French Aviation High Council gave a negative response; but being only an advisory board, the French Gvt decided against it and granted AF's request...
That's why this council recommended to allow Air Caraïbes to fly to Cayenne from Paris and it's totally disconnected to opening of the route to Panama.

OOOOh I see. Cheers for the clarification. Any details on the Panama flight? Equipment? Will it be flown from FDF?

Cheers
AA1818

md90fan
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:46 pm

I know they fly to France, Miami and other regional routes.

They don't fly to Miami, and when they did it was dba Air France.

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 1):
Where's the 757s, 737s that JM was supposed to have gotten by now??

They want (IIRC) 6 A319s and a similar number of 757s now.

as well as Air France with the ERJ-145's in use in the Caribbean. I wanted to know what routes specifically are being used for those aircraft,

They aren't in use anymore, and when they flew for Air Caraibes dba Air France they primarily did the Island Hopper service, when Air France used it's own A320s, the ERJ-145s could be found doing just about any regional route in the TX network.

Quoting FWI747 (Reply 13):
As for the future they're planning to fly to Panama and maybe Cayenne as a compensation offered by french gvt for having granted Air France's expansion in the Cara�bes.

Don't forget they said they will add San Jose, Costa Rica.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

beeweel15

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:29 am

Air France with the ERJ-145's in use in the Caribbean

Here is one in POS back in 2003

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dinesh Maharajh

miamix707

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:31 am

6Y-JMD returned in a white hybrid scheme. Am not sure who was the operator.

I saw it too the other day.. hope those are not the new "colors"...

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 22):
know they fly to France, Miami and other regional routes.

They don't fly to Miami, and when they did it was dba Air France.

Yes. Those Air Caraibes EMB-145s flew the route for a relatively short time. One day I actually remember seeing both the AF, and Air Caraibe aircraft near each ohter. IRRC they would be operated along with AF A320 flight. They would fly to Haiti right? I don't see it in flytecomm anymore for example, IRRC the 320 would come back to Miami during the evening. Does the route still exist?

The Air Guadaloupe/Air Martinique 732 that operated to MIA for a while did the same route right?

Who here honestly thinks that pink, blue, yellow and orange go together?? hehehe

The Air Jamaica scheme is the best, because.. hmm.. because.. hmm because I say so! Big grin Seriously it's the only airline left in the whole area with some color. As much as I like hummingbirds.. I hope I could've said the same about 'caribbean airlines' lol  Wink

Quoting Caymanair (Reply 16):
Cayman Airways is holding me in serious suspense....they are revealing their new image VERY VERY SLOWLY

Didn't know there was a new image for Cayman Airways. I'm not looking forward to it lol..

captaink

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:47 am

Who here honestly thinks that pink, blue, yellow and orange go together?? hehehe (I love stirring!!)

I am among the few who really likes JMs livery. It is very striking and stands out quite nicely. I remember when I frequented MIA a few years ago, BW and JM were two liveries that simply stood out from the air. I know the colours are a bit off the pink, the orange etc.. but it is Air Jamaica, and I certainly don't wish to see them any other way.

Quoting FWI747 (Reply 20):
I'd prefer a 2x5x2 arrangement (with a window seat of course!

You better HIGHLIGHT window seat. I got stuck in the middle of a 5 section once. It just can't get any worse. It is the most uncomfortable seat on an airplane. Big grin

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 21):
Probably the second one for the extra pitch- at 6'2" 31/32 in is still a bit tight!!

At 5'8" I find 31/32 tight. HAHA
Look Up

hummingbird

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:49 am

MAH4546

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:59 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 24):
ne day I actually remember seeing both the AF, and Air Caraibe aircraft near each ohter. IRRC they would be operated along with AF A320 flight. They would fly to Haiti right?

Air France had one A320 based in the Caribbean, so they could not offer daily MIA-PAP service. So three days a week there was one A320 flight, and four days a week they had two ERJs that left only about 30 minutes apart, one in AF colours, the other in Air Caraibes colours. The agreement ended after Air Caraibes started service to Paris, and Air France ended all business dealings with them.

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 24):
IRRC the 320 would come back to Miami during the evening. Does the route still exist?

Yes, Air France operates daily A320 service to Miami. As always, it arrives in the evening, overnights, and leaves in the morning. Since Air France now has two A320s based in the Caribbean, they can offer a daily flight. Air France has been flying MIA-PAP continuously for more than thirty years.

[Edited 2007-10-31 02:59:49]
a.

captaink

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:09 pm

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 26):
Virgin arrives in Kingston....

So this chapter in Caribbean Aviation is officially closed. Would JM be engaging in a codeshare with VS as did BW with BA?
Look Up

hummingbird

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:45 pm

It will be discussed today with the new administration.

BTW Did VS really invest in a new aircraft for this route?

Sir Richard Branson's investment in Jamaica to service the London route acquired from Air Jamaica is running at US$200 million (J$13.5 billion), the billionaire said Tuesday.

The majority of those funds financed acquisition of a new plane to service the route.

With that level of investment, Branson told Wednesday Business, he was not prepared to hand back the route acquired by his Virgin Atlantic Airline earlier this year.

Typical sensationalism.

FWI747

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:15 pm

Any details on the Panama flight? Equipment? Will it be flown from FDF?

Not yet but I suppose they will operate an ERJ145 from FDF. Previous trips to Panama City were flown by West Caribbean Airways with a MD82 before the crash last 16th Oct 2005 - very sad moment, I've lost some friends that day.

Don't forget they said they will add San Jose, Costa Rica.

True, I've forgot those , thanks.

David

aa1818

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:41 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 28):
Would JM be engaging in a codeshare with VS as did BW with BA?

I believe that was the initial plan, but the new Government wanted to halt the deal. Will be interesting to see how it plays out!

AA1818

aa1818

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:57 pm

http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/board.asp?board_id=2975

Perfect plane for the Caribbean??

I know it's a bit on the small side, but I thought it was appropriate as we ended a heated discussion on the reliability/ suitability of the Dash8 Q400 recently!! hehe

AA1818

westindian425

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:01 pm

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 23):
Here is one in POS back in 2003

I certainly would have loved to see that in person.

Quoting FWI747 (Reply 20):
The second one, I like to have a walk from time to time especially on those long flights; but honestly I'd prefer a 2x5x2 arrangement (with a window seat of course!)

David

Ah yes, memories of flying on board an L-1011 Tristar 500. (And yes, I hated the middle seat in the 2-5-2 arrangement, so I used to rush my parents to get to the airport early to secure my seat.) Those were the days.  Smile

They aren't in use anymore, and when they flew for Air Caraibes dba Air France they primarily did the Island Hopper service, when Air France used it's own A320s, the ERJ-145s could be found doing just about any regional route in the TX network.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 27):
Air France had one A320 based in the Caribbean, so they could not offer daily MIA-PAP service. So three days a week there was one A320 flight, and four days a week they had two ERJs that left only about 30 minutes apart, one in AF colours, the other in Air Caraibes colours. The agreement ended after Air Caraibes started service to Paris, and Air France ended all business dealings with them.

I wonder how the routes are performing for the French West Indian destinations. Certainly, FOF is a huge airport, and I remember years ago when i visited family there seeing AOM among other carriers there.

This sparks another question in my mind (with the newly-formed Air France/KLM conglomerate): has there been any potential behind a Dutch/French West Indies route? Does Paris and Amsterdam pretty much have control over what takes place between their territories, and is there any promotion to tourism between those two markets?

FWI747

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:19 pm

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 33):
I wonder how the routes are performing for the French West Indian destinations.

Air France Air Caraïbes and CorsairFly are carrying the traffic between FDF, PTP and ORY.
AF and Air Caraïbes were pretty much on a par last year, with about 600 000 and 500 000 passengers respectively to Fort de France and CorsairFly with half those numbers. Mainly tourists from France and what we could call "domestic" traffic.

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 33):
has there been any potential behind a Dutch/French West Indies route? Does Paris and Amsterdam pretty much have control over what takes place between their territories, and is there any promotion to tourism between those two markets?

Alas not, French and Dutch networks seems to be rather separated and AF doesn't seem to be interested in expanding French territories tourists numbers.

Any details on the Panama flight? Equipment? Will it be flown from FDF?

Fresh news !! : San Juan and Panama City will be serve with a brand new ERJ190 twice a week from FDF and PTP. The 100 seat jet will be delivered early December.
Can't wait to see it in company colors  bouncy 

miamix707

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 27):
Yes, Air France operates daily A320 service to Miami. As always, it arrives in the evening, overnights, and leaves in the morning. Since Air France now has two A320s based in the Caribbean, they can offer a daily flight. Air France has been flying MIA-PAP continuously for more than thirty years.

Interesting that the AF A320 doesn't appear on the flight trackers, at least not in the flytecomm arrivals list anyways (the Paris-Miami flight does). It should appear in the MIA airport website.

Anyone remember that 737-200 with dual Air Guadelopue and Air Martinique titles? It stopped operating around the same time the Embraers showed up so I'm assuming the flew the same routes.

MAH4546

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:19 pm

American Airlines updates:

*Miami-Bridgetown morning flight will be a 763 between 20Dec07 and 02Apr08.
*New SJU-UVF service starts 01Jan08; daily ATR-72. This is in addition to the SJU-SLU flights.

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 35):
Interesting that the AF A320 doesn't appear on the flight trackers, at least not in the flytecomm arrivals list anyways (the Paris-Miami flight does). It should appear in the MIA airport website.

No idea why. Here's the schedule:

AF 3942 PAP 1820-2010 MIA FrWe 320
AF 3944 PAP 1920-2110 MIA MoThSu 320
AF 3946 PAP 1920-210 MIA TuSa 320

AF 3493 MIA 0915-1105 PAP Daily 320
a.

caribbean484

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 31):
I believe that was the initial plan, but the new Government wanted to halt the deal. Will be interesting to see how it plays out!

The Administration wants VS to give back to route right to LHR, so it look like a tug-a-war between Branson and Golding, The transport minister did not even atten a function by VS yesterday. This is very interesting.
All ah we is one family

BWIA 772

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:08 pm

Quoting Caymanair (Reply 16):

I like the modified text to me it makes the logo look less late 80s early 90s

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 36):

*Miami-Bridgetown morning flight will be a 763 between 20Dec07 and 02Apr08

Well it seems as if AA is going to be doing as much business on BGI MIA as it does on POS MIA!!

As for Caribbean Airlines as the One World

I really do not think that new BW joining One World would be the best choice especially given the fact that AA CAL major competitor is in that alliance. Yes I do now that alliance partners do compete but in this case I still think that CAL joining One World is not really that big of a deal. In addition CAL would not be brining much to the One World Alliance given AA total coverage between its SJU and MIA hubs.

Star Alliance on the other hand is a better fit for CAL. Yes AC and US have flights to the region but these are limited, compared to what One World has through AA. That is why I think the airline should look to join Star over One World!!

Regards
Eagles Soar!

westindian425

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 36):
*New SJU-UVF service starts 01Jan08; daily ATR-72. This is in addition to the SJU-SLU flights.

I remember the days when the evil empire used the AB6 on the SJU-UVF route. I guess using a bigger aircraft isn't very possible with the lack of available equipment. This is only speculation, but earlier this week AA cancelled 1819 MIA-POS because they didn't have the equipment for the trip.

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 38):
I really do not think that new BW joining One World would be the best choice especially given the fact that AA CAL major competitor is in that alliance. Yes I do now that alliance partners do compete but in this case I still think that CAL joining One World is not really that big of a deal. In addition CAL would not be brining much to the One World Alliance given AA total coverage between its SJU and MIA hubs.

Star Alliance on the other hand is a better fit for CAL. Yes AC and US have flights to the region but these are limited, compared to what One World has through AA. That is why I think the airline should look to join Star over One World!!

Well, considering BW is just getting started, joining an alliance (whether One World, SkyTeam, or Star) is a bit further down the road, I think.

MAH4546

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 39):
This is only speculation, but earlier this week AA cancelled 1819 MIA-POS because they didn't have the equipment for the trip.

It happens all the time with every airline. Planes go tech, and replacements are not always readily available.
a.

b757lvr

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:18 am

I remember the days when the evil empire used the AB6 on the SJU-UVF route

[email protected] empire.. well I worked for them during that time and it was truly an exciting time at UVF. While I was there AA operated flights to JFK as well using the 757; on that note though, I am glad they are starting up again.

New SJU-UVF service starts 01Jan08; daily ATR-72. This is in addition to the SJU-SLU flights

Now that is really surprising , unfortunately since I am no longer at UVF/SLU I don't know the reason why Eagle is putting that flight into UVF instead of SLU..I am happy that UVF is getting more traffic though, however I still find this development curious.

westindian425

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 40):
It happens all the time with every airline. Planes go tech, and replacements are not always readily available.

That's true....what's confusing, though is the fact that they cancelled the international leg before the domestic LGA-MIA was even completed. It's usually a through-stop with the same equipment continuing on to POS. I guess there was another route that needed the 757 more than POS did.

Quoting B757LVR (Reply 41):
Now that is really surprising , unfortunately since I am no longer at UVF/SLU I don't know the reason why Eagle is putting that flight into UVF instead of SLU..I am happy that UVF is getting more traffic though, however I still find this development curious.

That's probably to allow easier access to the folks in Sourfriere, Vieux Fort, Dennery, and other southern towns to have more options as opposed to going up north to George F. Charles.

BWIA 772

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:43 am

Well, considering BW is just getting started, joining an alliance (whether One World, SkyTeam, or Star) is a bit further down the road, I think.

I was in now way suggesting that CAL join an alliance now, all I was doing was stating that in terms of joining an alliance Star IMO would makes more sense than One World.

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 37):

Question I was wondering if the new government is of the opinion that if they had LHR in the JM crown that it would be easier for them to get an investor for the airline. It is the only reason I could come up with for this prolonged issue of wanting back the slots. Seriously has anyone in the new administration realize that making LHR viable would have required significant investment. 1) A340s not economical, 2) Product would have to be upgraded are the JM 340s have AVOD IFE personal screens etc, 3) While JM rep is not as bad as BW some real money would have be invested in a marketing campaign.

Finally could this new administration afford to wait for LHR to provide a ROI??

BTW BGI is to be CAT 1 in the near future !!
Eagles Soar!

CO777DAL

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:53 am

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 15):
AA has the presence and could just start flying non stops again to POS from JFK and MIA maybe IAH, with their 767-300 , A300-600 and 777-20ER fleet, with the BW code on the flights. BW just took over the airbridge between POS & TAB that fleet could be expanded and used to expand regionally to feed those AA flights. Now this might not happen but always keep it in the back of your mind as a possibility.

Wow, you need to let me know where you found that bush your smoking I need some of that.  Wink

But on a more serious note, AA would NEVER fly IAH-POS. DFW is AA home, mega hub, and larger than Houston, plus AA has a much larger operations in Dallas than CO in Houston; yet CO flies more than twice as many seats to Dallas from its IAH hub than AA. With all the advantages AA has over CO on Dallas-IAH, but has yet been able to fly more seats than CO on the route gives me little hope for AA to do any point flying out of IAH. (All in all the real king of Dallas to Houston is WN, which kills both AA and CO combine on that route.) In addition to that, AA can’t make DFW-POS work, much less a snow balls chance in hell they would be able to pull off an O&D route such as IAH-POS.
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

BWIA 772

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:56 am

Here is the link for the piece about BGI

http://www.cbc.bb/content/view/13104/10/
Eagles Soar!

trintocan

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:40 am

I somehow doubt that joining a major alliance is in BW's interest right now. To start with, BW is very small with a limited network. An allinace would only consider an airline if it brought a sizeable return in terms of destinations or passenger numbers. AA, BA, AC and others already cover more Caribbean destinations than BW and, especially AA, offer good hub connections to the region. The investment needed by BW to position itself into an alliance (yes, these things do cost lots of money) would also be problematic at a time the airline is trying to reassert itself.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

Panman

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:02 pm

Just received the following from CAL. I have been travelling with them for over 20 years and joined their FF as soon as it started.

Caribbean Miles Announces
Earn and Burn on British Airways Flights

Caribbean Miles announces its latest partner "British Airways". You now have an opportunity to earn miles and bonuses on ALL British Airways' flights AND Redeem your miles for free travel anywhere on British Airways worldwide network.

For more information, visit caribbean-airlines.com or contact the miles service centre at:

By e-mail: [email protected]

By Telephon: (868) 625-5540

7:00 am to 7:00 pm - Monday to Friday
8:00 am to 6:00 pm - Weekends & Public Holidays

By Fax; (868) 623-4489

PanmaN

aa1818

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:08 pm

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 46):
I somehow doubt that joining a major alliance is in BW's interest right now. To start with, BW is very small with a limited network. An allinace would only consider an airline if it brought a sizeable return in terms of destinations or passenger numbers. AA, BA, AC and others already cover more Caribbean destinations than BW and, especially AA, offer good hub connections to the region. The investment needed by BW to position itself into an alliance (yes, these things do cost lots of money) would also be problematic at a time the airline is trying to reassert itself.

I agree- I think LI would be far more valuable to One World. AA and BA both fly internationally extensively to the islands and LI can provide the links!

There's my Christmas wish!!

NO- I take that back- My Christmas wish is for Caribbean Airlines to announce MAJOR expansion plans and fleet acquisition plans as well as announcing a profit. Perhaps we can have a special Christmas edition of the thread!! hehe

AA1818

westindian425

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:25 pm

Actually the Christmas/New Year season would be an unofficial year review of CAL. It'll be nice to see how well it's done. That would make for a nice thread indeed.  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos