Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aajfksjubklyn
Topic Author

AA JFK Work Slow_downs

Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:54 am

AA Mechanic's slowdown at JFK: Was evident last night, 120 to CDG delayed 2 hours (no specific reasons, but apparently a minor service item that was carded), my partner said no one to fix the planes, when they started fixing, they decided to go take a break. Four other flights postponed until this morning that were supposed to leave JFK last night. LHR and a few others.

I will never understand this as at 8:00pm no one is sitting in corporate, and they are hurting themselves as the customer's suffer and with all the options available today with air travel, customers are not going to deal with this...they will move on.

As example:

Departing
JFK New York, 10/29/2007 9:25 PM actual 12:02 AM 8 41
Arriving
CDG Paris, 10/30/2007 9:55 AM actual 12:08 PM

Departing Flight 116:
JFK New York, 10/29/2007 11:59 PM actual (next day) 8:00 AM 8 6
Arriving
LHR London, 10/30/2007 11:00 AM 7:02 PM

commavia

RE: AA JFK Work Slow_downs

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:00 pm

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Thread starter):
I will never understand this as at 8:00pm no one is sitting in corporate, and they are hurting themselves as the customer's suffer and with all the options available today with air travel, customers are not going to deal with this...they will move on.

Nothing to understand. It's just complete stupidity. They are totally missing the forest for the trees: this does nothing but hurt the mechanics, and does absolutely nothing to management beyond bolstering their argument to the public that their labor unions are being unreasonable. Nobody - least of all wealthy, demand travelers heading to Europe - could give a damn about whatever grievance the mechanics have this week, and as you say, they'll just take their business elsewhere.

Stupid, plain and simple.

TUGMASTER

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:42 pm

Quoting AAJFKSJUBKLYN (Thread starter):
AA Mechanic's slowdown at JFK: Was evident last night, 120 to CDG delayed 2 hours (no specific reasons, but apparently a minor service item that was carded

well well well, perhaps your 'partner' should start by telling you some truths.....

AA120 was delayed due to a bird strike......
ACFT 368 OTS BIRD STRIKE R/H INBD L/E FLAP & #2 ENG CORE COWL FIRE SEALBENT.

So before you start blaming and slating the AA air mechs,
FACTS FIRST ...BS LATER please......

As for the other non specific delays, let me reasure you they were all genuine.

Brgds

LONGisland89

Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:56 pm

These "slowdowns" are being done to stir up some emotions at the Fall Leadership Conference this week at DFW. To be frank, I hope they do.

aajfksjubklyn
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:19 pm

It stirs up everyone's emotions but the people who need to know. The passengers, families, little babies, On Board workers families..so on and so forth. Its inconsiderate. Be creative and find another way. What you are doing is indirectly blaming the flying public and your co-workers.

LONGisland89

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:43 pm

It stirs up worker's emotions when management consistently rewards themselves and screws the rest of the hard working employees. It is time AMR gives back to the people who gave so much to keep the airline flying.

jetsetsteve

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:34 pm

if you dont like it, fly with another airline and stop trying to save a few bucks and than complaining about it. Delays happen if my airplane hit a bird I would want to make sure it was safe to fly...

AIR757200

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:43 pm

There's been no talk of any sort of "slow-down" within the MX work-group.

I hope your partner is careful with the information he provides to you; you don't want him to be in violation of company policy.

notdownnlocked

Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:06 pm

WOW this is all awesome news. Let's all of us outsiders hear this news from the queasy greasy innards that is happening at AA.. I love to hear it. Only 3 hours to fix a flap? If that is possible perhaps the FAA should see this because this will be a record and a half yet still many complain because it is too slow. Read the Boeing SRM as well the engineering orders and show us where 3 hours are just impossibly too much time to fix a flap. Just for you uninformed types shouldn't it be just the same as changing a tire. Flap/Tire what's the difference, they both have 4 letters shouldnt they take the same time to repair/replace.

NYCAAer

Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:52 pm

I have heard nothing about a mechanics slowdown at JFK. The delays have been consistent and frequent since last May, especially on the 763 fleet.

The problem is that there was a managerial decision made at Master Base in DFW to stop stocking spare parts at JFK and MIA as a cost-saving measure. As the 763 fleet ages, they need more maintenance. So you have a 767-300, and mechanics staffed to fix them, but no parts to do the job. You're often stuck waiting for another 763 to fly in from somewhere since your original equipment gets taken out of service until the next day or so, when a part can be flown in from DFW, or the Alliance maintenance base in Ft. Worth.

Operations is constantly shifting around planes to try to get flights off the ground. The late evening departure to CDG often gets its plane swapped away for another flight with a mechanical delay that was supposed to leave earlier in the day, such as FCO, BRU or the early CDG. Or if the 763 to be used on EZE has a mechanical, and there's no other plane available, they take the plane intended for flight 120 to CDG, and delay 120 further, due to the cockpit crew legalities involved with 955 to EZE. That scenario is common, and it's lousy, because now 2 flights are delayed instead of one, but it's the only solution when you're short on 763s.

One mechanic told me that the executives have decided that we need parts at JFK, but I haven't heard much lately.

tommy767

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:26 pm

Quoting NYCAAer (Reply 11):
As the 763 fleet ages, they need more maintenance. So you have a 767-300, and mechanics staffed to fix them, but no parts to do the job. You're often stuck waiting for another 763 to fly in from somewhere since your original equipment gets taken out of service until the next day or so, when a part can be flown in from DFW, or the Alliance maintenance base in Ft. Worth.

It seems like it's one of those decisions where the managers running the show out of DFW are completely 'out of touch' with reality. MIA and JFK see many 763 flights a day. Those planes are close to 20 years old and need consistent maintenance. What stupidity.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos