deaphen
Topic Author

Etihad And The Qur'an

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi guys:

First up let me start by saying that i am not muslim, but live in India so i know a decent bit about the religion. Anyways i just flew DEL-AUH-JFK-AUH-DEL on EY and noticed that they have the Qur'an (for the people out there who dont know what this is, its the Islamic holy script/book) playing on the IFE. I have to admit, it was the MOST soothing thing to listen to and in fact, most of the way i was listening to it.

I didn't understand a word, but it was just very very calming and relaxing and interesting. I think its cool that an airline can have so much respect for a religion.

Further, do anyone of our Abu Dhabian members know where i can get a copy of that "narration" of the quran from?

On a non-aviation note, i am Hindu, but i have grown a very big fondness for the Islamic religion, i find it mysterious, mis-understood and just beautiful.

You may agree with me or dis-agree, but my personal opinion was that it was really really calming. Definitely a try for most non Muslim fliers.

Warm regards from India
Nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

NASBWI

RE: Etihad And The Qur'an

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:03 pm

Welllll, I wouldn't find it surprising that Etihad has the Qur'an onboard their flights, as the region in which it's based is very much grounded in their religion. I'm not trying to say this in a negative or positive way, or to completely generalize a society, but it does appear that in the Middle East (where Islam is more dominant), the people there tend to centralize almost everything around Islam. Therefore, to find it on a Middle Eastern airline would strike me as more common than not.

However, when dealing with the average Western (or, specifically, American) consumer, I would imagine that it would not be swallowed with the same gusto  wink . Especially when recent events in history (concerning Islam) are forever played on 'repeat' in many of our minds whenever Islam is mentioned.

It's great that you gained an appreciation for a different religion, but I doubt that many Americans will tune to that channel - if, even, they decide to fly that airline. As for where you can find it, I have no idea. Perhaps write to Etihad for a source? Cheers,
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

deaphen
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:09 pm

Quoting NASBWI (Reply 1):
Welllll, I wouldn't find it surprising that Etihad has the Qur'an onboard their flights, as the region in which it's based is very much grounded in their religion. I'm not trying to say this in a negative or positive way, or to completely generalize a society, but it does appear that in the Middle East (where Islam is more dominant), the people there tend to centralize almost everything around Islam. Therefore, to find it on a Middle Eastern airline would strike me as more common than not.

Agreed, i live in India and we dont have the Hindu religious things happening onboard, i think its cool that they stick to their originality (etihad, etc), heck if your religious and are proud of ur religion, then why not  Smile Agree that your comment wasnt meant to be positive or negative, its neutral!

However, when dealing with the average Western (or, specifically, American) consumer, I would imagine that it would not be swallowed with the same gusto

To the seasoned traveller or business traveller, its fully accepted, to the first time traveller, american or not, it may be intimidating. But its all about how mature and accepting you are of other cultures and religions.

Ture, but heck, most Indians wouldnt either! I guess most people dont have that hunger to learn about others way of life. I find it fascinating, i guess i always like to support the under dog, the world is weary of islam, i like to embrace it and learn more about it.

regards
nitin

It's great that you gained an appreciation for a different religion, but I doubt that many Americans will tune to that channel - if, even, they decide to fly that airline.

chase

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:44 pm

Good for you for being intrigued by another religion, not intimidated/offended. The world needs more people like you!

yowza

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:55 pm

IY also have religious material on board. I didn't pay too much attention to it though.

YOWza

cf105arrow

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:56 pm

Given the number of Muslims in India, you could probably find it in an Islamic centre or a large library. I am not sure if this is a sensitive issue in your home state, if it is you will certainly find it in other states. You might try contacting the cultural center of The UAE, Saudi, or other gulf state embassy in India. Alternatively, if you visit the UAE again, just ask in a Large mosque, Library or cultural centre. It should be very easy there.

xtoler

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:00 pm

I think it's pretty cool too. As long as it's not thrust down my throat, I'd check it out. I very much enjoy learning about other people and cultures. It doesn't always have to be political.

I wonder what would happen if someone like Pat Robertson owned an airline? Pax could see a bunch of televangelists asking for money. Or have some fire and brimstone southern Baptist "preaching" on the IFE. I've seen enough of that, I think I'd rather fly Etihad.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

flytuitravel

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:29 pm

Royal Brunei do a similar thing at the beginning of every flight. Its a video where a guy reads something out in Arabic (it is played on the IFE) and it is shown on the screen in Arabic with English subtitles. I know the video very well but I'm sure it must be an interesting experience for anyone who has never seen something like that before! One of the things that makes BI unique.

Smile

bennett123

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:32 pm

CF105Arrow

I would agree in Pakistan, but on partition in 1947, the old India was split on broadly religious lines. The Hindus stayed in India and the Muslims went to East and West Pakistan, (now Pakistan and Bangladesh).

He might be best to try an Islamic Centre.

David

ORDagent

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:34 pm

As long as it is on channel on the IFE I have to tune to that is fine. I can choose to avoid it at my will. I'm not anti-relgion or anything like that at all. EY wants to become a global carrier which means people of all religions will be on board. This kind of situation is NOT unique to Arabian Peninsula airlines. AS has (had) bible tracts on the meal trays or other service items at one time. I didn't like that idea as a nonbelievers could not avoid it as easily as changing the channel on the IFE. International business including airlines really need to walk on the knife's edge to avoid huge issues as religion is something most people take very personally and seriously.

redflyer

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:38 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Thread starter):
I think its cool that an airline can have so much respect for a religion.

Really? Did they have a channel broadcasting Christian Psalms or passages from the Torah?
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

jmc1975

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:42 pm

Quoting Chase (Reply 3):
Good for you for being intrigued by another religion, not intimidated/offended. The world needs more people like you!

Now if only we can the same encouragement for open-mindedness if Bible scriptures were to be read over an IFE channel, we'll be on to something!  Smile

imiakhtar

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:48 pm

Further, do anyone of our Abu Dhabian members know where i can get a copy of that "narration" of the quran from?

If you caught the name of the recitor, i would be more than happy to get hold of it for you.

Quoting FlyTUITravel (Reply 7):
Royal Brunei do a similar thing at the beginning of every flight. Its a video where a guy reads something out in Arabic (it is played on the IFE) and it is shown on the screen in Arabic with English subtitles. I know the video very well but I'm sure it must be an interesting experience for anyone who has never seen something like that before! One of the things that makes BI unique.

It was most likely the prayer for when embarking upon a mode of transport. I'm not sure about any other "muslim" carriers, but the captain on PK flights used to say the prayer before pushback.
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

LAXspotter

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Quoting Xtoler (Reply 6):
As long as it's not thrust down my throat, I'd check it out

yep, and I dont think a reputable airline like Etihad is going to do that.

Since a large number of Muslims do travel on Etihad, it is for their benefit that they have that on the IFE. Personally, I would look outside the window  Big grin

On a non-aviation note, i am Hindu, but i have grown a very big fondness for the Islamic religion, i find it mysterious, mis-understood and just beautiful.

wow that is unbelivable. I guess you must be quite a secular Hindu, Hindu-Muslims realations in terms of History arent the best in India. I'm from a Muslim family in India, and I can see why you found the recitation of the Quran so beautiful, its like Poetry, at its finest, however only if read by a person who know how to read it with that flow and elegance.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

777way

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:14 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 8):
The Hindus stayed in India and the Muslims went to East and West Pakistan, (now Pakistan and Bangladesh).

There are more Muslims in India than in Pakistan and Bangladesh combined, only a small minority moved to Pakistan and Bangladesh, the rest stayed on.

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 10):
Really? Did they have a channel broadcasting Christian Psalms or passages from the Torah?

Do any non-Muslim airlines play the Quran?

[Edited 2007-10-30 12:17:02]

deaphen
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:35 pm

Quoting CF105Arrow (Reply 5):
Given the number of Muslims in India, you could probably find it in an Islamic centre or a large library. I am not sure if this is a sensitive issue in your home state, if it is you will certainly find it in other states. You might try contacting the cultural center of The UAE, Saudi, or other gulf state embassy in India. Alternatively, if you visit the UAE again, just ask in a Large mosque, Library or cultural centre. It should be very easy there.

Yes it would be easily available here, but im referring to that particular recital, it sounded great. The thing i love about India is that i am a Hindu, living in the state of Punjab which comprises mostly for Sikhs and i can buy the Qur'an from my local book store  Smile

Quoting Chase (Reply 3):

Thank you, to me, all extremists be it Muslim, Hindu, Christian are all assholes.

Quoting ORDagent (Reply 9):
As long as it is on channel on the IFE I have to tune to that is fine. I can choose to avoid it at my will. I'm not anti-relgion or anything like that at all. EY wants to become a global carrier which means people of all religions will be on board

Yup thats the beauty of it, i bet i was the only guy listening to it! Even the Muslims around me on the EY flight were busy watching the simpsons  Smile

Sorry i should have specified "respect for THEIR" religion. Though all 3 religions are surprisingly similar, but thats a non av topic so i shall end it there  Smile

Quoting Imiakhtar (Reply 12):
If you caught the name of the recitor, i would be more than happy to get hold of it for you.

Thank you very much for the offer, i would appreciate it greatly, unfortunately, i was hoping i could catch someone from EY on here to help me with the name of the reciter.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 13):
yep, and I dont think a reputable airline like Etihad is going to do that.

Since a large number of Muslims do travel on Etihad, it is for their benefit that they have that on the IFE. Personally, I would look outside the window Big grin

Oh its totally up to the passengers if they want to listen to it or not.... i jsut thought to myself, "how many times will be able to sit at FL 390 and listen to the Qur'an"  Smile

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 13):
wow that is unbelivable. I guess you must be quite a secular Hindu, Hindu-Muslims realations in terms of History arent the best in India.

I dont agree with the second part of your message, Hindu - Muslim relations have been skewed by the bloody politicians these days and finds its routes to the Birtish in India (Policy of divide and rule), to me Muslims and Hindus, Men or Women are the same. Same goes for Indians and Pakistanis.... there is ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE!

Quoting 777way (Reply 14):
There are more Muslims in India than in Pakistan and Bangladesh combined, only a small minority moved to Pakistan and Bangladesh, the rest stayed on.

Yes that is accurate, we have more muslim citizens than any other of our neighbours! Heck we got a billion people, we probably got more Christians than the USA!

LAXspotter

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:54 pm

I'm not sure about that, hehe. Pakistan has a population of 165 Million, of which 95% are Muslims (160M), Bangladesh has a population of 150M of which 83% are Muslim (125M) and India has a population of 1.1 Billion of which 13.4% are Muslim (148M), so clearly Bangladesh and Pakistan combined have more Muslims, but if India's Muslim population was combined with Bangladesh's and Pakistan's, it would 450 Million Muslims, and South Asia makes up for more than 2/5 of the World's Muslim population.

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 15):
routes to the Birtish in India (Policy of divide and rule),

Definetely

Heck we got a billion people, we probably got more Christians than the USA!

hahaha, well India has about 30 Million Christians, not a small number but nowhere near to the 75% of the 300 million americans who claim to be Christian.

trvyyz

Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:11 pm

Yes that is accurate, we have more muslim citizens than any other of our neighbours! Heck we got a billion people, we probably got more Christians than the USA!

Nitin, you just missed it. India has more Christians (including me Wink ) than Canada or Australia but not USA.
http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_christian.html#nations
Top 10 Largest National Christian Populations
Rank Nation Number Percent
1 USA 224,457,000 85%
2 Brazil 139,000,000 93%
3 Mexico 86,120,000 99%
4 Russia 80,000,000 60%
5 China 70,000,000 5.7%
6 Germany 67,000,000 83%
7 Philippines 63,470,000 93%
8 United Kingdom 51,060,000 88%
9 Italy 47,690,000 90%
10 France 44,150,000 98%
11 Nigeria 38,180,000 45%

luv2cattlecall

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting Xtoler (Reply 6):
I wonder what would happen if someone like Pat Robertson owned an airline?

Doesn't he or one of his fellow scam and shammers have a 747-sp, the Star Triple Seven or something?

cf105arrow

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting Luv2cattlecall (Reply 18):
Doesn't he or one of his fellow scam and shammers have a 747-sp, the Star Triple Seven or something?

The Star Triple Seven is owned by Akron (Ohio) based Ernest Angley Ministries maybe Pat Robertson is also planning on getting one. That way they could compete on the airwaves and in the sky.  chat 

In the mid 90 this plane was also been part from the Dubai Air wing.

Boeing747_600

Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:47 am

Nitin,

I dont know anything about the Quran, but Arabic is by itself a beautiful language. Just about anything recited in it sounds ethereal. I flew KU from JFK-LHR-KWI-BOM and back once in 1994 and I absolutely enjoyed hearing the inflight announcements in Arabic.

By the way, I've heard odd bits and pieces of the Quran being recited hera and there (I'm not muslim either, so my guess is that they were snippets from TV shows or movies) and I didnt find anything particularly calming it. In fact I would describe one particular rendition I vaguely remember as almost a monotonous whine.

LAXspotter

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:11 pm

Quoting Luv2cattlecall (Reply 18):
747-sp, the Star Triple Seven or something?

Hell, no please. I dont know if evangelicals would really want to travel on their airline, with Jesus as their co-pilot, they will probably say that "God is going to protect us" from crashes, imagine what would happen if it does crash "its a message from God".

Quoting Boeing747_600 (Reply 20):
but Arabic is by itself a beautiful language

true, the Koran is like Poetry, and if read properly it does have that flow

vaguely remember as almost a monotonous whine.

it all depends on who recites it

antskip

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:06 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 21):

EK also offers the Qur'an on one of its many IFE channels. I am not Arab-speaking, but to my ear it's "recital" is rather more than speech but more akin to singing - it has rhythm, and tones not used in ordinary speech. I have heard one of the sacred texts of Hinduism, the Bhagavad Gita, "recited" (by a Ramakrishna Mission Swami) in a very similar way. He accompanied his recital with a sitar -very beautiful, and I didn't understand a word, either.

The Jewish Torah and the Christian "Old Testament", in the original form, have the structure of song as much as prose, just as Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and the original speeches of Buddha also. Sacred tests as long accounts were universally sung, not spoken as if a modern lecture, and showed the repetitions, rhythms and flows of poetry sung, not speech written. First and foremost they are all to be heard, not read from. Their written forms but transcriptions, like musical scores, to enable an accurate re-speaking, and so to be heard again from a contemporary voice. Hence they are all pleasant to hear, and heard as if an Aria or other song - as musically sung words.

Is the Hindu Gita offered as a IFE channel option on any Indian airlines?

UK_Dispatcher

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:57 pm

Sounds like you'll be growing a beard and washing your feet in the sink next  Wink

I hate the way the IFE is set as the koran as default. The amount of times I have put the headphones on, gone to 'audio' and whipped them off again at the sound of the koran! *shudders*

Quoting FlyTUITravel (Reply 7):
Royal Brunei do a similar thing at the beginning of every flight. Its a video where a guy reads something out in Arabic (it is played on the IFE) and it is shown on the screen in Arabic with English subtitles.

EY do this but only in Arabic. I noticed IR do it too.

Emirates773ER

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 23):

I hate the way the IFE is set as the koran as default. The amount of times I have put the headphones on, gone to 'audio' and whipped them off again at the sound of the koran! *shudders*

Assuming you don't like the recital or is the volume too loud?
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

777way

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:08 pm

By the way, I've heard odd bits and pieces of the Quran being recited hera and there (I'm not muslim either, so my guess is that they were snippets from TV shows or movies) and I didnt find anything particularly calming it. In fact I would describe one particular rendition I vaguely remember as almost a monotonous whine.

Exactly it all depends on who and how its recited, some versions are very off putting a and the opposite effect, they sound harash, rushed and their translation done in a similar mannert makes you want to run from religion. I heard beautiful recition on Saudia flight but in Saudi Arabia I just couldnt come across the same tone even though religious verses were bebeing aired in shops etc.

Sounds like you'll be growing a beard and washing your feet in the sink next

Is there any harm?

In Muslims, everything is suppossed to begin this way with God's name, prayers and recitations from the quran,

EY do this but only in Arabic. I noticed IR do it too.

All Muslim airlines practise this openly or discreetly.

EXAAUADL

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:11 pm

too bad the feeling isnt mutual

EXAAUADL

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:13 pm

Do any non-Muslim airlines play the Quran?

not yet, but I'd say give airlines based in the UK time...its called dhimmittude

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:18 pm

Quoting Imiakhtar (Reply 12):
It was most likely the prayer for when embarking upon a mode of transport. I'm not sure about any other "muslim" carriers, but the captain on PK flights used to say the prayer before pushback.

TU does not have the Qur'an on their IFE but definitely have the traditional prayer during pushback or taxi.

And upon landing the FA always mention that "by the grace of God, we have landed at XXXXXX"

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

bond007

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:20 pm

I don't quite understand what this has to do with religion???

You said it was calming and relaxing, but since you didn't understand a word of it, they could have been reciting a transcript from the Simpsons, and it could have sounded the same.

The fact it was the Qu'ran is almost irrelevant ... it sounded 'nice'.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

777way

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:24 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 26):

To each his own? I as a Muslim can relate to alot that Hindusim teaches as well as Christianity since I know a bit about those religions and I like somethings about them.

I dont know anything about Judaism, to me its seems strange, so could you and others be feeling the same about islam because you dont know anything about it and are being fed on misleading media portrayal of it, I'm sure if I learn about Judaism I will know that its all good.

deaphen
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Well im sorry that you feel that way, its wrong to generalize all people of one religion as "bad". Its your loss if your not willing to open your mind to other cultures, religions (actually screw religions, they are a very small part of life) or people.

But then again, i don't blame you, thats just the way you are.

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 29):
I don't quite understand what this has to do with religion???

You said it was calming and relaxing, but since you didn't understand a word of it, they could have been reciting a transcript from the Simpsons, and it could have sounded the same.

The fact it was the Qu'ran is almost irrelevant ... it sounded 'nice'.

Ok so im on an Etihad flight, the IFE says "The Holy Quran" and i listen to it. I know it was the quran , and i also know it wasnt Homer going "DOH" in Arabic!

Yes it did sound "nice", maybe you should try listening to it.

regards
nitin

xtoler

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:08 pm

Hell, no please. I dont know if evangelicals would really want to travel on their airline, with Jesus as their co-pilot, they will probably say that "God is going to protect us" from crashes, imagine what would happen if it does crash "its a message from God".

Oh, come on now, where's your faith?  angel  I get a kick out of the bumper stickers that read "In case of rapture, this car will be empty." If that's the case, I guess it would apply to the evangilicals' aircraft as well. How much you want to bet if rapture does happen they'll be here on Earth with the rest of us heathens.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

jacobin777

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:13 pm

too bad over a billion people disagree with you.. sarcastic 
"Up the Irons!"

bond007

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:26 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 31):
Ok so im on an Etihad flight, the IFE says "The Holy Quran" and i listen to it. I know it was the quran , and i also know it wasnt Homer going "DOH" in Arabic!

Yes it did sound "nice", maybe you should try listening to it.

My point is that many things sound "nice" ... it has little to do with religion or the Q'uran.

You said you "didn't understand a word", so from listening to it you had no clue whether it was "DOH" in arabic or not.

Somebody reading Harry Potter in the same tone might also sound 'nice' to some people.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

RacingGreen07

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:42 pm

Hmm RedFlyer....Alaskan Airlines give out Christan psalms prayer cards (a tradition to do so for 20 years*).....do they give something of an Islamic or Jewish nature?....No I didn't think so.

Regards!

* Source : Alaskan Airlines Supervisor of Consumer Affairs.
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

MSYYZ

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:21 pm

Deaphen , check your PM inbox  Smile
A346,A343,A342,A332,A333,A310,A300,AB6,A319,A320,A321,B741,B744,B777,B767,B732,B735,B727,B707,B757,MD80,F-70,E-170,B738

LAXspotter

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 34):
My point is that many things sound "nice" ... it has little to do with religion or the Q'uran.

You said you "didn't understand a word", so from listening to it you had no clue whether it was "DOH" in arabic or not.

Does it matter? There are a lot of people who love listening to music in languages they dont understand

If he found the recitation of the Koran soothing/calming what ticks you off so much? He finds Islam interesting so what? to each their own.

bond007

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:00 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 37):
Does it matter? There are a lot of people who love listening to music in languages they dont understand

If he found the recitation of the Koran soothing/calming what ticks you off so much?

Doesn't matter to me at all ... and ticks me off ????

I was just stating that the fact it was the Qu'ran is irrelevent, yet we've had 37 posts about religion!

You're absolutely right ... it could have been music in another language.

Jimbo

PIA777

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:03 pm

I didn't understand a word, but it was just very very calming and relaxing and interesting. I think its cool that an airline can have so much respect for a religion.

I love listening to a quran recital. Especially is someone of Arabic decent is reading. I can follow along much better that way and I can barely read Arabic.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

fumanchewd

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:14 pm

It wouldn't bother me...when in Rome.

This would never fly in the states!  Smile Whether it is Christian or Muslim, we tend not to like to be told religious beliefs in a stituation where we are "hostage". If I had to listen to the Old Testament on a Southwest plane, I would try to jump out the emergency exit.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

LAXspotter

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 40):
Whether it is Christian or Muslim, we tend not to like to be told religious beliefs in a stituation where we are "hostage". If I had to listen to the Old Testament on a Southwest plane, I would try to jump out the emergency exit.

Yes, and No. If it is on the IFE, its your choice man. But if they were handing out Pamphlets of a certain religion, like Alaska used to do, it would definetely piss off a lot more people. Find a Koran on the IFE is not like finding porn on the IFE and being shocked that your kid is watching it.

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 38):
yet we've had 37 posts about religion!

well, he was interested if other carriers have choices such as that, we werent arguing A vs. B, were we?  scratchchin 

yyz717

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:36 am

How ironic that Etihad, while progressively more and more reliant on revenue from non-Muslim (i.e. secular Christian) Westerners, has no qualms about have the kuran on board its aircraft, while BA went out of its way to prevent a check-in clerk at LHR from wearing a Christian cross just last year. Etihad is proud of the predominant religion of its homeland, yet BA is not.

Something is wrong with this double standard.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

antskip

Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 33):

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 42):
BA went out of its way to prevent a check-in clerk at LHR from wearing a Christian cross just last year. Etihad is proud of the predominant religion of its homeland, yet BA is not.

Something is wrong with this double standard.

no double standard! Different cultures! Britain, like most Western countries, is politically secular. In Europe and Britain, Christianity did once have a public and political authority akin to what Islam does in many modern countries; but the past 500 years in the West has seen Luther, the Enlightenment, the age of science, the centrality of democracy, and the re-positioning of religion as a private freedom, not a public duty. Like the monarchy, the Church's place in the political arena has hugely changed. Western democracies are careful to be place civic duties above religious ones.

jacobin777

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:15 am

Quoting Antskip (Reply 43):
no double standard! Different cultures!

checkmark ....not to mention, its not as if EY is forcing anyone to view the channel anyway..its at the discretion of the pax..so I really don't see where the "problem" is.. confused 
"Up the Irons!"

LAXspotter

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 42):
has no qualms about have the kuran on board its aircraft

big difference between handing out a Koran before you board along with your Newspapers and having it on the IFE.

no double standard! Different cultures!

Yep, although I dont see what's wrong with wearing a Cross, it would be like asking a Muslim Woman not to wear a Hijab, if it doesnt interefe with work, it should be problem. The ACLU would haven been all over BA tho.

luv2cattlecall

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:12 am

Thank you, to me, all extremists be it Muslim, Hindu, Christian are all assholes

Those assholes are a punishment from God for allowing gays on earth! (JOKING! Ref. to the Kansas nutjobs that protest at funerals)

I dont know anything about the Quran, but Arabic is by itself a beautiful language. Just about anything recited in it sounds ethereal

Comments like that make me appreciate the generally above average intelligence that we find here on A.net... I was on a FL flight a few days back and the guy a row or two ahead of me was talking in Arabic on his phone before L1 closed, and some moron redneck woman is babbling on her phone and says "hun there's someone talking in 'muslim' on this flight, just know that I'll love you no matter what happens" WTF??

davescj

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:20 am

Quoting Jmc1975 (Reply 11):
Now if only we can the same encouragement for open-mindedness if Bible scriptures were to be read over an IFE channel, we'll be on to something!  

I couldn't agree more.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

LAXspotter

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting Luv2cattlecall (Reply 46):
"hun there's someone talking in 'muslim' on this flight, just know that I'll love you no matter what happens" WTF??

LOL ROTFL, hahahahahahahahaahahaahahaha, and the average american is knowlegeable  Yeah sure

yyz717

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:06 pm

no double standard! Different cultures! Britain, like most Western countries, is politically secular. In Europe and Britain, Christianity did once have a public and political authority akin to what Islam does in many modern countries; but the past 500 years in the West has seen Luther, the Enlightenment, the age of science, the centrality of democracy, and the re-positioning of religion as a private freedom, not a public duty. Like the monarchy, the Church's place in the political arena has hugely changed. Western democracies are careful to be place civic duties above religious ones.

Fair enough. But then it could be argued that Etihad is being disrespectful to Western secular cultural norms by having the kuran on IFE. Perhaps Etihad should disable the kuran IFE on flights to/from Western cities. Or, alternately, offer a Christian IFE channel along side the kuran IFE.

My point is about fairness and respect to Westerners when flying to Western cities. The offering of (only) a kuran IFE option is offensive and discriminatory.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos