AeroplaneFreak
Topic Author

Boeing 777F Update?

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:23 am

Does anyone know what stage the first Boeing 777F is at?

Stitch

RE: Boeing 777F Update?

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:30 am

Quoting AeroplaneFreak (Thread starter):
Does anyone know what stage the first Boeing 777F is at?

It has not yet been started, to my knowledge.

Some believe that it will be certified and delivered late due to lack of test pilots to fly it. I'm not one of them (at this time).

AeroplaneFreak
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:55 am

So it has not been put together yet then?

phishphan70

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 1):
Some believe that it will be certified and delivered late due to lack of test pilots to fly it. I'm not one of them (at this time).

hell, i'm only a privet pilot, but i'll step up and ride the beast if they can't find any other test pilots!!!!!  Wink

but in all reality, why can't they find test pilots to fly it? i may sound ignorant, but how hard is it to find a test pilot for a plane that should basically fly like a really heavy 772?
and while i'm asking that, i'll also ask if a pilot is able to fly a pax 772, are they also qualified to fly the 777F? for airlines who might operate both aircraft, this might come in handy to say the least. if not though, how much more training would they require?

Stitch

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting AeroplaneFreak (Reply 2):

No. AF is not scheduled to receive the first one until next year, and production of the frame itself will be pretty quick, since it is based on the 77L. So they likely won't complete her until close to the start of the certification/testing plan.

SkyexRamper

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting Phishphan70 (Reply 3):
hell, i'm only a privet pilot, but i'll step up and ride the beast if they can't find any other test pilots!!!!!

but in all reality, why can't they find test pilots to fly it? i may sound ignorant, but how hard is it to find a test pilot for a plane that should basically fly like a really heavy 772?
and while i'm asking that, i'll also ask if a pilot is able to fly a pax 772, are they also qualified to fly the 777F? for airlines who might operate both aircraft, this might come in handy to say the least. if not though, how much more training would they require?

You may be a privet pilot but you'd need to be a private pilot. Also using proper punctuation where needed would be a plus. Also don't forget you'd have to be a multi engine rated pilot also.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

phishphan70

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:53 am

Quoting Skyexramper (Reply 5):
You may be a privet pilot but you'd need to be a private pilot. Also using proper punctuation where needed would be a plus. Also don't forget you'd have to be a multi engine rated pilot also.

wow, i spelled something wrong and didn't put all the dots and lines in, so i apologise for my horrible typing skills. but i am more sorry with how mean people are on a.net when it comes to someone trying to ask a question with a slight bit of humor and accidentally messing up. you still understand what i meant, no? but since Skyexramper wants to take the fun out of everything and couldn't understand that i was obviously joking when saying i was able to fly this aircraft, I'll ask it in a boring way.

Why would it be hard for Boeing to find test pilots for the 777F program? What makes this program different from a test flight prospective, from a brand new freighter rather than just modifying a current aircraft for cargo, such as the 777? And furthermore, are pax 777 pilots qualified to fly the 777F after it gets certified?

tdscanuck

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 1):
It has not yet been started, to my knowledge.

Assembly hasn't started. Engineering has been going on for some time and I would expect that some of the long-lead parts have probably been built or are in the pipeline.

Quoting AeroplaneFreak (Reply 2):

No.

but in all reality, why can't they find test pilots to fly it? i may sound ignorant, but how hard is
it to find a test pilot for a plane that should basically fly like a really heavy 772?

Finding a pilot who can fly a 777 isn't that hard. Finding a test pilot who can fly one is considerably harder. Test pilots have a different skillset than line pilots.

and while i'm asking that, i'll also ask if a pilot is able to fly a pax 772, are they also qualified to fly the 777F?

Yes.

Tom.

phishphan70

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 7):

Finding a pilot who can fly a 777 isn't that hard. Finding a test pilot who can fly one is considerably harder. Test pilots have a different skillset than line pilots.

i would hope so! Being able to test an aircraft and feel what the plane is telling you is something that no classroom time can teach you. that being said, i didn't know that lack of test pilots often caused HUGE problems/delays in aircraft release. how much more training is required to be qualified to do test flight for this program who is already qualified to fly a 777?

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 7):
Yes.

thanks Tom!

Stitch

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting Phishphan70 (Reply 6):
Why would it be hard for Boeing to find test pilots for the 777F program? What makes this program different from a test flight prospective, from a brand new freighter rather than just modifying a current aircraft for cargo, such as the 777?

The main fear is that the 787 flight test program will require all of Boeing's test pilots, leaving none available for the 77F test program. I do not know how many hours a family derivative needs, but Boeing is likely both trying to schedule both around each other as well as source senior 777 pilots with the skills and certs (whatever those may be) that can handle or at least support the test program.

USAF336TFS

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:30 pm

but in all reality, why can't they find test pilots to fly it? i may sound ignorant

IIRC, there is a world-wide shortage of pilots, especially those rated for 777 operations. I've heard that EK has brand new 777s parked on the tarmac in DXB because of the flight crew shortages.
There is a very aggressive effort to recruit pilots who are certified on 757/767 aircraft and upgrade their certifications to 777-level. This issue will be felt by the entire industry, not just Boeing. The new LH Cargo/DHL Express combined airline, which will have an all 777-200LRF fleet, will be directly affected as well.

[Edited 2007-10-31 06:31:34]
336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB

SkyexRamper

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:28 pm

I believe a requirement for people to be hired at Boeing and at every aircraft manufacture, as a test pilot, is that a pilot must have gone through either military test pilot school or the civilian test pilot school. I can't imagine that there are a lot of people out there with these qualifications.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

phishphan70

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:56 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 9):
The main fear is that the 787 flight test program will require all of Boeing's test pilots, leaving none available for the 77F test program. I do not know how many hours a family derivative needs, but Boeing is likely both trying to schedule both around each other as well as source senior 777 pilots with the skills and certs (whatever those may be) that can handle or at least support the test program

interesting...thanks!

Quoting USAF336TFS (Reply 10):
IIRC, there is a world-wide shortage of pilots, especially those rated for 777 operations. I've heard that EK has brand new 777s parked on the tarmac in DXB because of the flight crew shortages.

wow, that's a damn shame for EK! hopefully they can staff these soon and move forward with these beautiful aircraft!

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 11):

that would make sense to me. thanks for your imput

A342

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:16 pm

Now that the A380 is in service, maybe they can borrow some test pilots from Airbus.  duck 
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Baron52ta

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:26 am

Just a minor point in ref to Airbus 380 being in service so their test pilots aren't doing any thing, that is a misnomer, even when a manufacturer has no new equipment in testing the pilots don't just sit around doing nothing. They are also involved in the design work these day, to assist in the computer models which get used in the training of new line pilots and the development of the flight simulators.

There is also a matter of the multi $M price tag that is required to get the TP on your license . For those with what it takes click the link.
http://www.qinetiq.com/ix_etps.html

tdscanuck

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting Baron52ta (Reply 14):
Just a minor point in ref to Airbus 380 being in service so their test pilots aren't doing any thing, that is a misnomer, even when a manufacturer has no new equipment in testing the pilots don't just sit around doing nothing.

Also don't forget that every production model gets flight tested several times before delivery...that's not exactly the same type of testing, but it still takes test pilots.

Tom.

swallow

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:01 pm

I believe that they are also training pilots from QF and EK
The grass is greener where you water it

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos