SQ773
Topic Author

Disappointemt At MHJ ( Mojave )

Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:43 am

Hi there !

One week ago, on my way from San Francisco to Las Vegas by car, I had to overnight in Mojave. As for the town, not much to be seen...but when I realized that my motel was located just one mile from MHJ I decided to take a look.

What a disappointment ! I hoped to find dozens of airframes parked there and all I saw was some 767 frames ( very few ), one 747 that once belonged to KL , another 747 classic from CO, and some broken up Tristar´s . The rest of airframes are not worth to be mentioned though.

Whatever happened to MHJ ? I remember having seen pictures with dozens of wide bodies parked there and all I saw was an almost empty place...Can anyone give some info about ?

cheers

SQ773

boggled 

joffie

RE: Disappointemt At MHJ ( Mojave )

Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:58 am

are you sure you are at the right place?

Mojave desert is a highly secured place. You cant even see the planes from the security gate. I know, as i was there when i was in the US a few months ago.

SQ773
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting Joffie (Reply 1):
are you sure you are at the right place?

Mojave desert is a highly secured place. You cant even see the planes from the security gate. I know, as i was there when i was in the US a few months ago.

For sure. I did not get into the field, but one can see the planes clearly from the far. There is one main entrance that goes to the flight academy. From that point you can see most of the planes ( I repeat, from the far only. ) As you leave MHJ and drive the route 58 to Barstow in the daylight, you can also see great part of the place.

mhodgson

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:43 am

It is the same at GYR - post 9/11 it was full to bursting, though now it is much emptier. Isn't that a good thing? I know BA had a few 767s parked at MHV which have since returned to the fleet. Surely it is excellent for the industry that aircraft are back in the skies rather than languishing in the desert?

Obviously some will be scrapped as well, but I'd rather see the deserts empty than full!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

clickhappy

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:50 pm

Mojave desert is a highly secured place.

Huh? For $5 you can take a guided tour that lasts 30 minutes.

marky

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Sounds like you're talking about Marana....

socalfive

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:19 pm

Quoting Marky (Reply 5):
Sounds like you're talking about Marana....

Speaking of Marana, what's going on out there with all the old NW 747 classics? Are they being scrapped now?

lotsamiles

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:26 pm

Quoting SQ773 (Thread starter):
Whatever happened to MHJ ? I remember having seen pictures with dozens of wide bodies parked there and all I saw was an almost empty place...Can anyone give some info about ?

I believe nearly all flyable aircraft are in service and many of the rest may be broken up by now. World-wide demand is very high for commercial aircraft so the desert is getting empty!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos