Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bond007

RE: Please Enforce Carry-on Size Rules

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:30 pm

C'mon guys ... 50 posts about bins, elite status, checking bags, losing luggage ... this is very simple. Nobody is talking allowing not allowing carry-ons, it's about enforcing VERY simple, basic rules.

The airlines need to enforce the rules ... simple.

They tell us very clearly in their announcements when boarding, they have posters by the gate, and they even have little bin measuring things by the gates .... and then they let people on with 2 large rollaboards!

Quoting Sfomb67 (Reply 28):
They are also known as platinum, premier executive, etc. they carry a lot of weight and gate agent and flt attendants know better than to pi** them off! These customers have been known to write letters to airline executives and get airline employees fired or repremanded that pi**ed them off. Do you get the picture now?

You'll find the FFs are probably the best behaved as far as carry-ons. They take their limit, sure ... but they know what it is. Trust me, you don't fly 4 times a week with 4 bags and spend 5 minutes trying to fit them somewhere on the plane.

If they break the rules, the airline should care less about any letters they write!

Somehow, I don't think any airline employees are getting fired because they told a FF he had too much carry on luggage.... if he was, it was good grounds for unfair dismissal.

Jimbo

[Edited 2007-11-05 05:35:14]
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

UA772IAD

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:52 pm

Here in Australia, the airlines (most of the time) hardly let you bring anything bigger than a briefcase aboard (on the domestic flights). Sure its a pain when you just have a rollaboard for a two day trip, but baggage claim is pretty fast down here.

planeguy727

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:54 pm

F/As get the brunt of the complaints - but how many others have let the bags through to reach the point the F/A now has to deal with it?

Not too long after 9/11 I attempted to take a smaller roll aboard, breifcase and small mailing tube through security at ROC. I was told it was "3" items and that one MUST be checked. This was by security ID checkers, before ever reaching the machine.

And we all have the same 1440 minutes in a day, if you can't handle 30 mins to retreive a bag then your priorities may be a little off (and maybe not, I can't judge here). I know that despite lost bags in the US, Europe, Africa, etc the number of lost bags is not much compared to the amount I travel. I tend to look at as "some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives."

Oh - and I had to put a bag 2 rows behind me once due to space, I waited until all others deplaned to retrieve (it's the nice thing to do), only to find that another pax took my bag (by mistake it was later determined). So yes, you can lose bags you don't check! And it was a n/s flight.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

Analog

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:33 pm

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 42):
The average throughout all European carriers are 8kg allowance.

Enough for a bag (4-5kg), a book, a sandwich, and a pair of socks and underwear, with perhaps some left over for a shirt.

OHLHD

Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:42 pm

Quoting Indy (Thread starter):
For the love of god would airline employees please enforce the carry-on size rules?

Seems like as if we cannot make it right to passengers.

First you here the stupid: Why should I check it in.... I brought it here already. ( o-tone I hear every damn working day)

Now people start complaining that we allow hand baggage....  Smile

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 50):

You don´t really thing that it is as simple as that.

You'll find the FFs are probably the best behaved as far as carry-ons.

Oh no. There are a lot who behave but as soon as they want to keep it they will spit in your face telling you that they have Gold,Silver or Cubumber Status.

It is not easy but I can at least say that my flight 99% of all cases do not have any hand baggage offloads.

Quoting TIALATI (Reply 49):
What annoys me even more with carry on luggage is that when one flies C especially in continental europe you always have someone who is flying Y and sitting at the very end of the plane come and drop their bags on the bins provided for C class passengers. If i pay twice or thrice the price of an Y passenger i expect the bins overhead the C class section to be used only by C-fare passengers and not by some stupid guy sitting right at the end of the plane.

Bear in mind that you buy a single seat with your ticket not the airline! The bins are not only for you.

swallow

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:03 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 21):
my carry-on bag is exactly 22x14x9 and my tote bag just barely fits underneath the seat in front of me. If I can pack a week's worth of clothing and assorted necessaries in these two bags, anyone can

Agreed. If you know how to pack properly then you can pull it off. Some folk do not pack efficiently or carry more than they need. I have found that if you travel with a portable iron and can do laundry, you can travel for a week with only a few clothes.

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 43):
Bottom line, when I can trust my valuable possessions to the hold, then I'll check more items

In this part of the world, checking in electronic goods and other valuables is not a good idea. They will be 'borrowed' without your permission. I recently had a blazer [of all things] stolen from my bag, so I prefer to travel light with a laptop bag and 1 carry-on. It allows you to deplane and go home faster than the folk who have to wait at the carousel for their bags.

You should see how people bend the carry on rules in Africa. Business people coming from Dubai or China will often have two carry-ons in addition to 3 or 4 polythene bags with all sorts of goodies which they know cannot be checked in. Add to that the stuff that they carry on their bodies and in their pockets and you are talking 20 kg or more of carry on luggage!!
The grass is greener where you water it

bond007

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:02 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 54):
First you here the stupid: Why should I check it in.... I brought it here already. ( o-tone I hear every damn working day)

Now people start complaining that we allow hand baggage....

No, where is anybody complaining you allow hand baggage. We are complaining that you do not enforce the basic rules and policies.

If you don't know the answer to "Why should I check it in.... I brought it here already.", and you cannot gate check it, then you should be doing another job ... seriously.

You don´t really thing that it is as simple as that.

Errr, yes is IS as simple as that!

I can walk around the gate and tell almost immediately is somebody has carry-on over the limit ... it isn't that difficult folks !!!

There are a lot who behave but as soon as they want to keep it they will spit in your face telling you that they have Gold,Silver or Cubumber Status.

So what!

So you are saying you wouldn't tell them because they might "spit in your face" ??

Tell them they can find another airline and another flight.

Wow ...

Jimbo

[Edited 2007-11-05 09:04:48]
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

bristolflyer

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Am I alone in thinking this?

Ok, I haven't read all the previous posts, but taking big bags as carry on is a good idea if you're in a rush and you don't want to check-in bags. If you're only going away for a day or 2 and can avoid checking your bags then it makes sense - no waiting at those carousels and no risk of bags going missing.
Fortune favours the brave

kangarooman

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:13 pm

Not at all I work on security and MAN and we have to enforce the 1 piece of hand luggage rule and I see people come up with two or three massive bags. Usually they will moan, whine and some even CRY!! about it, I've found the main offenders of the moaning, whining and crying to be to American girls in their late teens early twenties.

I mean what can they possibly have in there!! I will normally have a bag that will have a book, a PSP ,an mp3 player and some food in it the size of a small laptop bag. but occasionally I'll have a small roller bag for when I'm going somewhere for the weekend that has it all in no second bag!!

and I have to say usually Americans and people from the Middle East and Africa are the worst for multiple bags and usually jam packed full of everything!!

You'll find the FFs are probably the best behaved as far as carry-ons.

Oh no. There are a lot who behave but as soon as they want to keep it they will spit in your face telling you that they have Gold,Silver or Cubumber Status.

This is right sitting on the business class entrance to security the usual thing you will get is "but I'm Gold with XXX airline" even had a guy go back get a check in girl who came back saying "i told him he could have one piece of hand luggage only he won't listen to me"

and now we get the fantastic news (NOT!!) that the Department Of Transport here in England is going to relax the rules coming up to Christmas for a second bag with presents in to be allowed!!

Roo
A/C Flown EI 146&320, MYT 763&333, WW 733&735, AZ 319&MD80, LS 146, FR 738, 2L F100, LX 320&321, A3 RJ100, FI 752 AB 738

JoeCanuck

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:38 pm

Quoting KangarooMAN (Reply 58):
Not at all I work on security and MAN and we have to enforce the 1 piece of hand luggage rule and I see people come up with two or three massive bags. Usually they will moan, whine and some even CRY!! about it,

Part of the issue is that when they get to UK, they already have multiple bags with them. Then what? If they didn't know about the 1 bag rule into the UK, what are they supposed to do with the extra belongings? (and, by the way, it's only for transit passengers. If your final destination is the UK, you can have 2 carryon bags. That only makes sense because BAA is more than thrilled to send you on your way with 2 or more bags of duty free, though...no worries...they're all about safety).
What the...?

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:03 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 20):
FA's there on the plane for our safety and not to monitor luggage. So tell me who's job it is.

Actually, as an F/A it was part of my job to monitor carry-ons. Not that hard to do on a regional jet. The bad thing about our jet was overheads were small and only on one side of the cabin. You can't place the 22x14x9 roll aboards in the overheads, and they didn't really fit under the seat, especially with a full cabin. Most of the bags are gate checked. What get's me though, is to see about 3 rampers doing nothing while boarding and the pax are getting onto the plane with bags that should be gate checked. At least when we get to where we are going you can pick up your bag as you get off the plane.

If I only have maybe about ten pax or so, and I don't need the weight of carry ons in the back for ballast, I'll let the pax bring their bags on as I can always find room under seats, in bins, in the forward closet.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

YULWinterSkies

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:11 pm

I don't join your thinking. Give me a reliable checked bag service and I'll carry less volume and weight on board. I'm sorry but it SUCKS to arrive at your destination and have basically no change of clothes and so on, plus the hassle of retrieving the bags...
When I doubt... go running!

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:20 pm

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 29):
I've been told enough times by FAs that I can't have anything under the seat in front that I no longer consider it an option. I really don't know what to believe when.

Sorry for that, but those F/A's are wrong, unless your bag is sticking out from under the seat in front of you. It's been almost two years since my days as an F/A but there's part of the initial pax briefing to "please make sure your carry-ons are stowed in the overhead bins or directly under the seat in front of you. I also flew in Jetstream 41's when we still had those and there are no overhead bins there. If you could have a small enough bag, it goes under the seat in front of you. Some of these F/A's just kill me.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

bond007

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:21 pm

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 61):
I don't join your thinking.

You don't join his thinking that the policies should be enforced, and you should take whatever you like??

He wasn't saying no carry-ons ... just stick to the rules.

...otherwise I guess you're one of the pax we're all talking about.

Jimbo

AEROFAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:24 pm

Well what gty do pax have that the airlines would not loose their bags if they were checked? If there is no such gty, I can't really blame pax for wanting to carry on their sinks. No matter how annoying it is
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

katwspotter

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:25 pm

Pinnacle's policy is one and only one carry on item, everything else is plane side checked and that one carry on DOES include a personal bag or purse.  Smile
"You're cleared to land on the green dot"

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:26 pm

but nobody told me" and "but I carried them from the US" and "but United/Delta allowed me..." and so on... these are the usual starts for discussions.

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 43):
And they are entirely valid.

I hate to say it, nine times out of ten these people are told, they either don't listen, pay attention, or figure they are exempt as the are more special than all the other pax.

Bridogger6

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:27 pm

I doubt if any airline has ever been fined for this!

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 46):
They haven't. The F.A.A. would have enforced it already if there was really a F.A.R. out on it.

I always travel with my 'flight attendant crew' type roller bag as a carry on along with my laptop bag. And thats pretty much it.

Actually airlines do get fined for violating the one plus one carry on restrictions. I know my airline has been fined a couple thousand dollars on a couple different occasions for allowing more than the two allotted items on board. I've also boarded a flight with an FAA guy standing right next to me. Very friendly guy, but very strict. Someone who was WEARING a fanny pack had that counted as their personal item, and had to check their rollaboard because they also had a shopping bag. So they're not out there all that often, but you never know.

AirframeAS

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:37 pm

Quoting Bridogger6 (Reply 67):

Show me the F.A.R. and then I'll believe it. F.A.A. inspectors just don't stand around handing out tickets like cops do.  redflag  I have a hard time believing that the F.A.A. guy you encountered actually fined that airline based on the story you provided. I just dont believe it.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Mir

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:44 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 45):
Personally I think baggage handlers do an outstanding job. I've made some tight connections and have been amazed that my bags have made it.

I've had my bags make connections that I didn't even have time to make, but I've also had some very long connections that my bags didn't make, so it's kind of a crapshoot.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:50 pm

So true Bridogger6! I can understand first time fliers not really understanding the rules, and even people who fly rarely. But to have frequent fliers out there still try to see what they can get away with, just amazes me. If these people flew for a living I bet you they'd change their attitudes really fast. Plus, as a crew member, sometimes you don't know who will be on your flight. Especially if they don't identify themselves.

As I posted earlier about letting pax on with their larger carry ons. If it's so few pax I let them do it. Another reason is if I have a quick turn I can get those guys out without having a ramper get their bags from the rear hold. The quicker I get my pax off, the quicker I can clean up the cabin, and the quicker I can board the next flight. I have a thing about on time departures, especially if I'm on the last day of a four day and I'm going home.

kangarooman

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 59):
Part of the issue is that when they get to UK, they already have multiple bags with them. Then what? If they didn't know about the 1 bag rule into the UK, what are they supposed to do with the extra belongings? (and, by the way, it's only for transit passengers. If your final destination is the UK, you can have 2 carryon bags. That only makes sense because BAA is more than thrilled to send you on your way with 2 or more bags of duty free, though...no worries...they're all about safety)

I'm not talking about transit passengers I'm talking about passengers who are originating in MAN coming with multiple bags most transit passengers seem to be ok

And I don't work for BAA and don't have any control over what happens past security

Roo
A/C Flown EI 146&320, MYT 763&333, WW 733&735, AZ 319&MD80, LS 146, FR 738, 2L F100, LX 320&321, A3 RJ100, FI 752 AB 738

bond007

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting Xtoler (Reply 70):
But to have frequent fliers out there still try to see what they can get away with, just amazes me.

It shouldn't amaze you ... see below:

Quoting Xtoler (Reply 70):
If it's so few pax I let them do it.

It's because they can and do get away with it.

I guarantee that if this policy was enforced for everyone ... you wouldn't see people trying to get away with it!

Jimbo

mortkork

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:20 pm

I couldn't agree more! I thought I was the only one playing by the rules. I with the TSA would follow the lead I've notice at number of x-ray machines thoughout the USAF. They have a plexi-glass entrance with a slightly enlarged cut out of the maximum allowable carry-one size. If it doesn't fit the dimensions, it isn't going though. Tuff luck buddy! Check-it!

jetdeltamsy

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:35 pm

Where I used to work, the company made a big deal about 18 months ago about adhering to carry-on sizes. "Check the contract of carriage" we were told to tell the customers.

Then the Customer Service Manager said to disregard the rules. Continue to allow people to carry on anything they could manage to get to the plane. I voiced a discenting opinion and was slammed for doing so.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:49 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 72):
It's because they can and do get away with it.

I guarantee that if this policy was enforced for everyone ... you wouldn't see people trying to get away with it!

Jimbo

Ohhh, you got a great point there, Jimbo! Open mouth, insert foot on that one.  banghead 

I just think (that's probably the problem there), that if pax see a plane will be full, they will use common sense and be courteous. But then again, that usually doesn't happen.

Larry

Maverick623

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:54 pm

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 57):
but taking big bags as carry on is a good idea

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 57):
If you're only going away for a day or 2

Bull. I was able to fit a weeks worth of clothing into a 22-inch roll-a-board, with my laptop and various other personal items into a small backpack that fit under the seat in front of me.

It's really not that hard, people.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:58 pm

Hey Mortkork,

You working pax service at one of the fine AMC pax terminals, or just flying around space-A? If no one's flown on a USAF cargo or tanker aircraft, rules are a bit different. It sure is easier just throwing all the bags on a pallet and loading it on the ramp of a cargo plane, than struggling with a carry on in an overhead bin.

mortkork

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:23 pm

Quoting Xtoler (Reply 77):
You working pax service at one of the fine AMC pax terminals, or just flying around space-A? If no one's flown on a USAF cargo or tanker aircraft, rules are a bit different. It sure is easier just throwing all the bags on a pallet and loading it on the ramp of a cargo plane, than struggling with a carry on in an overhead bin.

I've turned wrenches for many years on USAF T-tails where space wasn't much of an issue, especially when I'm flying with whatever I need to get the job done at BFE. Unfortunately when my time has come and gone at base X, I get stuck on the military charter with a hundred other families trying to move a household from one continent to another and dealing with the overhead bins on an L-1011. Need I say more about the stringent rules in AMC concerning carry on size?

milan320

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:09 pm

I would like to see a policy of getting so money back if I cannot fit my small bag in the overhead compartment since it's stuffed full with suitcases ... which are called carry-ons. I pay for a ticket, I should be guaranteed proper storage for my carry-on.
/Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)

selwoode

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:31 pm

There is nothing quite like getting onto an international and watching the person from 3 rows down struggle to lift their cabin luggage into the locker directly above your head......and you watch the bin sag a little....

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:41 pm

Quoting Mortkork (Reply 78):
I've turned wrenches for many years on USAF T-tails where space wasn't much of an issue, especially when I'm flying with whatever I need to get the job done at BFE. Unfortunately when my time has come and gone at base X, I get stuck on the military charter with a hundred other families trying to move a household from one continent to another and dealing with the overhead bins on an L-1011. Need I say more about the stringent rules in AMC concerning carry on size?

I was a 605, which I guess now is a 2t2 Air Transportation Specialist. I tried to fly UA as much as possible. Don't much care for the cattle cars of World Airways, or Freedom Birds of whoever they are using now. While I was active duty I stayed away from pax service as much as possible. Sort of ironic I was in MAC/AMC and didn't fly space-A but once (had friends in SATO) and stayed as far from pax service as possible, and then became a flight attendant after getting laid off from KBR as a joke. I didn't take my F/A duties as a joke though. It all seemed to come around full circle. If I reenlisted I was thinking about cross training as a load "smasher" as I did half that job anyway in load planning.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 76):
Bull. I was able to fit a weeks worth of clothing into a 22-inch roll-a-board, with my laptop and various other personal items into a small backpack that fit under the seat in front of me.

It's really not that hard, people.

No, it's not hard, just some people don't know how to pack. Us guys make fun of women for packing so much, between my wife and my mom, they really taught me the ins and outs of packing as much as you can in a small bag. It's possible. Mom bought me a nice Travelpro bag one Christmas after I started to commute from DEN to RIC. I could put two weeks of clothes in that bag. Well, I'm wearing a uniform for work, I don't need a lot of civilian clothes. The way the Travelpro is laid out and compartmentalized, and comes with a suit bag, you can get so much in that thing and it's still only 22X14X9, and still room to spare! Plus it beats a beat up roll aboard bought from Wal-Mart that doesn't keep up with daily treks through various airports and flightlines. Let's just say, for a while duct tape, Loctite glue, and in-line skate wheels were my friends. We never had a dispute over who's bag was who's in the crew room. TSA used to make fun of my bag. On top of that, once we had to take our shoes off in security, I'd wear holey socks with my toes sticking out. Oh, the fun you can have with TSA at home base. Don't even get me started on the canned food and ramens I'd have in my bag, and TSA would try to guess what it is without opening the bag.

iairallie

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 39):
Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 31):
It is however very rude to remove someonelses bag and move it without permission.

Not in all cases. I usually do some rearranging of bags to maximize the space available. Usually the bag stays within 2 feet of where I move it from. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) at how much space is really available in overhead bins.

I wasn't refering to small shifts like that. I was responding to the person who would out and out remove someones bag if it was over his row and in "his" bin. I'm an FA so I know how much space can be created with small shifts. Any move that requires a bag be moved to another bin and I let the owner know where and why I am moving it.

Quoting Analog (Reply 53):
The average throughout all European carriers are 8kg allowance.

Enough for a bag (4-5kg), a book, a sandwich, and a pair of socks and underwear, with perhaps some left over for a shirt.

Thats fine and dandy if you are Suzy holidaymaker. But if you are traveling for business you have electronic devices and sensitive items that need to come on board with you. And before you jump on me for my carryon. I can pack 3 weeks of clothing, Laptop/acessories, work manuals and items to keep me occupied in flight in my US carryon allotment. The european standards are in my opinion ridiculously restrictive. Show me the data that says US carriers have more relative carryon injuries than those of other continents. I once had to check everything but my bag (empty) and laptop SANS accessories on a flight on an asian carrier with a 7kg allotment.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:17 pm

Suzy Hollidaymaker. Man I haven't heard that in a while. Just think, Suzy's gonna bring even more back on her return trip! "It'll fit, it fit on the last flight!" Yeah, you just got of a 777 and now you're getting onto an EMB145. Yep, it'll fit... In the back of the aircraft, ma'am. I was much nicer, believe me.

sbworcs

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:31 pm

They are also known as platinum, premier executive, etc. they carry a lot of weight and gate agent and flt attendants know better than to pi** them off! These customers have been known to write letters to airline executives and get airline employees fired or repremanded that pi**ed them off. Do you get the picture now?

Surely elite or not elite rules should be enforced? Just because someone has elite status with an airline should not allow them to bypass rules that are there to help make the whole process better for ALL passengers?
The best way forwards is upwards!

Indy
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:25 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 74):
Then the Customer Service Manager said to disregard the rules. Continue to allow people to carry on anything they could manage to get to the plane. I voiced a discenting opinion and was slammed for doing so.

Did this person tell you to disregard company rules or FAA rules? If it was FAA rules they were telling you to ignore I'm sure the FAA would love to hear from you. I'm sure it was company policy the person was telling you to ignore. I can't imagine they being dumb enough to tell you to ignore FAA rules. But then again I could be wrong  Smile
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

bond007

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 85):
Did this person tell you to disregard company rules or FAA rules?

Well it would have been both ... since the FAA rule says the airline must not allow carry-on baggage if it exceeds the airline's baggage program prescribed in it's ops specs. So by breaking it's own policies, it is in fact breaking FAA regulations.

Jimbo

SFOMB67

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:10 am

Trust me, you don't fly 4 times a week with 4 bags and spend 5 minutes trying to fit them somewhere on the plane.

We are not talking of carrying 4 bags onboard; I am thinking of a carry-on suitcase, a garmant bag and a lap top.

Quoting Bridogger6 (Reply 67):
Actually airlines do get fined for violating the one plus one carry on restrictions.

I don't doubt this may have happened once or twice, but for all the flights in the USA everyday, and all the excess bags carried on those flights !

Quoting Sbworcs (Reply 84):
Surely elite or not elite rules should be enforced? Just because someone has elite status with an airline should not allow them to bypass rules that are there to help make the whole process better for ALL passengers?

There is the world the way it should be with all the rules followed; and then there is the "real world."
Not as easy as originally perceived

Baron52ta

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:42 am

Don't you just wish you lived in Britain, here we get one of the smallest baggage limits and they are very particular about carry ons to. Recently while traveling I was requested to weigh my carry on as well as my checked bag, btw my carry on was a brief case and the aircraft was a 735. I can understand going to that length if it had been an RJ or the like but the flight wasn't even full, so think yourselves lucky for now until they start that over there.

bond007

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting Sfomb67 (Reply 87):
We are not talking of carrying 4 bags onboard; I am thinking of a carry-on suitcase, a garmant bag and a lap top.

Oh, 3 then!

Trust me ... most FF's aren't flying with that. I fly with them every week. The FF 'kit' is a laptop bag/briefcase, and legal size rollaboard. If they're taking more than that, then they're FF wannabees and will suffer when they have to go from Concourse F to B at PHL.

Jimbo

aerorobnz

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:37 am

No, we all think that. I believe all roll aboard bags should be banned. if you have to roll it on board then it is not hand carriage. I would make the size restrictions much smaller as well as the current restrictions allow some ridiculous bags. I always travel with only a small backpack, and that's all.

I will gate check as many bags as I can without putting OTP in jeopardy. I am an a gate agent working with all sorts of aircraft 737/744/767/320/332/342/343/346/772 and a variety of different carriers with different policies but the reality is that all bags that go down in the hold after flight closeout must be called through to the baggage master and AAA security screened and the hold reopened, which is a lot of unnecessary work that will jeopardize an on time departure. Personally I would just leave the bags behind, but then airlines aren't usually willing to do this because then the passengers at the other end report them as lost bags and get compensation etc.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

JoeCanuck

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:04 am

Most of the passengers flying aren't regular travellers. I happen to fly internationally on a regular basis. I've learned how to pack; what I need to take with me, what I can check.

Most people have no idea. Why would they? They might fly once every 4 or 5 years. How could they possibly keep up when the rules change every 20 minutes?

Sweet lord...I've seen plenty of frequent flyers get screwed by new rules they weren't aware of. How are Ma, Pa and the yung'uns going to figure it out?
What the...?

Zentraedi

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:17 am

Well, this would really suck for me. I don't have one of of those big roll on suitcases, but I often travel with my camera bag, which doesn't fit into most airlines' standard carry on dimensions because of the padding. FYI, it's a Krumpler Karachi Outpost backpack.

Seriously, do you expect me to put USD $12,000 worth of fragile camera equipment into checked luggage? So of you might be anal about that, but I don't see it as a big deal. What other reasonable options are there? Now, who would insure that?

Maverick623

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:37 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 89):
and will suffer when they have to go from Concourse F to B at PHL.

It's a no-win situation in PHL: either check your bags and have a 50% chance of them not making it, or suffer a back injury trying to lug all that crap around the airport.

Quoting AerorobNZ (Reply 90):
but the reality is that all bags that go down in the hold after flight closeout must be called through to the baggage master and AAA security screened and the hold reopened, which is a lot of unnecessary work that will jeopardize an on time departure.

Not here in the US. Even if I (as loadmaster) close out a flight in Sabre/DECS, it's a 30 second phone call to get it reopened. And really, one bag whose weight is already "accounted for" will NOT bring an airplane out of the sky. Gate checked bags have already gone through screening, so no need to re-screen. The time it takes to reopen a bin to throw 4 or 5 bags in and then close the bin is less than 2 minutes on an Airbus (and about 30 seconds on a 737). We spend more time loading late connecting bags in the alley on most days.

But then again, that is here in the States, can't speak for everywhere else.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Indy
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 am

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 92):
Seriously, do you expect me to put USD $12,000 worth of fragile camera equipment into checked luggage? So of you might be anal about that, but I don't see it as a big deal. What other reasonable options are there? Now, who would insure that?

Do you feel airlines should bend the rules for passengers traveling with expensive merchandise? I often travel with camera equipment as well. Obviously not as expensive as yours but it is my responsibility to make sure I have an appropriate size camera bag. If I can't find an appropriate size travel bag and I don't want to check the bag then it is my responsibility and not that of the airline to get my camera from point A to point B.

I would have no problem with allowing an extra bag or slightly larger bag for those traveling in business/first class. They have paid extra for space and service. If you can have extra leg room and a better seat why not a little extra bin space?

I personally wouldn't bring something worth $12k through security. God only knows that they'd do to it.
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

skyguyB727

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:15 am

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 15):
Fact is that trying to enforce the size limit would create EVEN MORE DELAY by having people try to fit their bags in the measuring device, gate check them, etc.

People simply want to push the limits. I have had several passengers insist on holding up the entire boarding process at the gate, so they could argue semantics with me. On one flight, a woman and her husband each had a rollaboard bag plus a full sized duffel/body bag. When I said they would each have to check one of their two bags, they were outraged. The woman swore up and down that the duffel/body bag was her "purse." She didn't mind that she was holding up all the other passengers on the flight. She was determined to get on with both bags.

If the FAA wants to mandate a "one plus" carry-on rule, then federal screeners should not be letting excess baggage through the screening checkpoints. The checkpoint is a perfect opportunity to turn someone back to the check-in counter to check their excess bag.

Keep in mind that some people check two bags at the check-in counter and then deliberately take their excess baggage to the gate hoping to avoid paying excess baggage charges.

skyguyB727

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 17):
I dont think this is a F.A.A. thing. Its more of an airline thing.

The carry-on baggage limitation of "one plus one" is an FAA mandate.

skyguyB727

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:19 am

Quoting Baron95 (Reply 15):
having people try to fit their bags in the measuring device,

Most people think the bag sizer is a trash can. I actually had a man argue with me, because I wouldn't let him throw his trash into the sizer box.

OHLHD

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 56):
No, where is anybody complaining you allow hand baggage. We are complaining that you do not enforce the basic rules and policies.

If you don't know the answer to "Why should I check it in.... I brought it here already.", and you cannot gate check it, then you should be doing another job ... seriously.

Trust me I know how to get the hand luggage checked-in. You do not have to worry about that. As I said my flights have to 99.9 percent no hand baggage offloads.

Errr, yes is IS as simple as that!

I can walk around the gate and tell almost immediately is somebody has carry-on over the limit ... it isn't that difficult folks !!!

Then you should join an airline and enforce the rules.  Yeah sure

So what!

So you are saying you wouldn't tell them because they might "spit in your face" ??

Tell them they can find another airline and another flight.

Wow ...

Jimbo

Once again, don´t worry. If one spits in my face I know how to get him or her back to earth. Yeah why not. I believe you do not work for an airline so you can´t tell how many thousands of lies and stories I have heard about hand luggage. If they do not check there oversize hand luggage they can fly with another airline. Simple as that.  Smile

LHRBlueSkies

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:04 pm

In reality, 1 pce per person is all that is needed - period. The excuse of quick connections, a business meeting, or whatever is just that, an excuse.

Passengers need to stick to the sizes issued, and be fair to everyone, and if you are told to check it in, do it!

Staff need to enforce the rules and not take the easy way out of letting items that are too large go on board, or passengers that are too rude, get away with it.

It has to be said that the Americans used to be the worlds worst travellers, bringing 3 or 4 pieces of carry-on baggage, and each piece being oversized and overweight, err, just like...no, don't go there!!

The problem is there is no worldwide agreement, and that is something IATA should be pushing for, just like worldwide security rules - problem solved. Also, the airlines like to call it marketing, allowing there customers that little bit extra, thereby causing the problem to continue.

It's not a hard problem to solve, just takes motivation and perserverence.
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!