flexo

RE: Age For Alcohol On Airlines

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:41 pm

Generally the law of the country where the aircraft is registered applies (not only for drinking age but also for crimes commited while on board).
So: Germany 16 years, USA 21 years, pretty much everywhere else 18 years.
Of course airlines can issue their own policies as LH with their 18 years minimum rule.

davescj

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:46 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 10):
You shouldn't be drinking at your age in general. You usually can get away with drinking younger because flight attendants do not want to card you and require your identification, but you are breaking the law and putting them in a difficult position.

Further if a cop/Air Marshal ever caught it happening, the FA could be arrested and the airline sued. Contrary to what people thing, the regulation is there for a reason.

RoseFlyer is completely correct.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

EWRCabincrew

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:53 pm

Quoting Heathrow (Thread starter):
I've flown AC, BA, QK... all of them have never ID'd me.

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 2):

I never got carded when I was underaged except one time on Frontier.

Quoting Avianca (Reply 4):
well remember when I was 17 and had a very nice beer in JFK waiting for my JFK-MUC flight on delta were I enyoyed some Bacardi Colas

Quoting Tommy767 (Reply 8):
I flew AA DFW-LAX in F and was served chardonnay repeatedly throughout the flight. It was nice descending into LAX on a 763 and being fully liquored up when we pulled up to the gate

Ahhh, yes, being young and trying to 'beat' the system. How cool were you.

I card people always. My job and my family's livelihood is not worth an underaged person getting a drink. Let someone else take the fall for that one.
You can't cure stupid

YULWinterSkies

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:01 pm

Quoting Heathrow (Reply 6):
canada the age varries as to which province you are in.

So does enforcement....
But since AC charges for booze, what's the point of drinking on board? Being ripped off? How fun!
When I doubt... go running!

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:10 pm

When I flew for Trans States, there was a rule in my GOM, where we could serve pax under 21 alcohol. Generally, no one under 21 is to be served alcohol, but for some odd reason, during elections or if we were flying the occassional charter, we could let people under 21 drink. I didn't really understand that rule either. I never had to follow that. I've carded a few passengers, but at $5 for a beer or small bottle of wine is a bit steep, so alcohol sales were low. Half the time I didn't even carry enough alcohol to last until I could get serviced again.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

JRDC930

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:22 pm

Looks like we'll just have to work on getting the drinking age lowered, if it ever came to a vote in the U.S. im sure it would pass in a land slide. It is immensely stupid that you can fight and die for your country at 18 and vote, but cant get a beer. Apparently the U.S. knows something more than most of the rest of the world where the age is 18... ?

[Edited 2007-11-05 10:22:52]
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

AEROFAN

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:25 pm

Alcohol on flights should be banned.

heathrow
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:34 pm

does class really matter though? I ALWAYS fly in Y, and i have only ever been asked my age on PD. Of course I didn't lie. It doesn't matter what age, drinking is bad for you, but I smoke and do many worse things than drinking, so I don't think a few beers is too bad.

I do agree, alcohol should not be served in-flight. It needs to be a serious attitude aboard. Hell, what if there's a drunk in an emergency exit when theres an accident?

hmmmm...

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:38 pm

Quoting Nrcnyc (Reply 12):
Thanks to the millions of miles my parents rack up travelling for buisness, I've been able to fly in F or J on almost every trip I take with out paying a dime!. I have always looked old for my age and have been having a glass or two of wine in F or J since I was about 17. Most of the time They asked if I wanted red or white, I never realy had to ask for it.

Your parents are setting a bad example by spoiling you like that. They could spent a lot less miles and get you to your destination just as well.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

gigneil

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:47 pm

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 57):

That's the second stupidest thing I've heard here today.

Stupid people should be banned, not alcohol.

Laws are supposed to punish the stupid... not the people who can handle their shit.

NS

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:58 pm

With passengers in the exit row, we try not to serve them booze, but they can drink as long as they don't get drunk. Sometimes that's hard to do on a "party" flight though. If they get too drunk, I'd just have to move that person. If there is an inflight emergency, that passenger will be removed from that seat and replaced by the nearest able bodied passenger. Here's another rule of thumb on that. If the person who is a bit tippsy has an assigned seat in the emergency exit row, that person will not be allowed to sit there. I've had to rearrange pax on boarding for that. Surprisingly, I've never caught any flak from pax about that.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

SkyyMaster

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 56):
Looks like we'll just have to work on getting the drinking age lowered, if it ever came to a vote in the U.S. im sure it would pass in a land slide.

I really wouldn't count on it. MADD has deep pockets in the lobby business and religious groups would oppose it as well. I agree if a person is old enough to go to war or vote they should be able to drink, but there are a lot of very irresponsible 18-20 year olds out there that, given open access to alcohol instead of having someone else buy it for them, could create problems. (I know the same can be said of any age group, but we get the drift here I think). Such laws do not fall under federal jurisdiction anyway - the states decide. If a nationwide vote ever did happen, it might pass, but it would be far from a landslide. I think this thread is starting to get off topic a bit.

gigneil

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:08 pm

Honestly, just like with anything else, if you can do it whenever you want, you're less likely to be crazy about it than if you're doing it illegally.

NS

BlueSkys

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:17 pm

Alcohol on flights should be banned

.......Why? I cannot even begin to rationalize why alcohol should be banned on flights.

jetjeanes

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:32 pm

Can you imagine United being suspended from selling alcohol and liqueor for selling to a minor,,, man some heads would roll
i can see for 80 miles

gigneil

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:44 pm

Quoting JetJeanes (Reply 65):
Can you imagine United being suspended from selling alcohol and liqueor for selling to a minor,,, man some heads would roll

The point of course being, it never happens. I've been served 100s of times as a minor, I've seen known or very obvious minors around me being served alcohol without being carded.

There's no enforcement mechanism. No air marshal is going to pay attention to that shit unless they are sitting right next to them.

NS

gift4tbone

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:00 pm

Quoting Swaopsusafatc (Reply 45):
In the US only Laughlin has that policy

Thx for the correction, I was always told by family that serves in the forces, that all bases had a 18 drinking age. I do not know what bases they were/are at...but good to know...i guess there were fibbers.

[email protected]
Top 3 airports: PVD 22.1%(142 flights), PHL 13.6%(87 flights), PHX 9.3%(60 flights)

Viscount724

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 64):
Alcohol on flights should be banned

.......Why? I cannot even begin to rationalize why alcohol should be banned on flights.

Most air-rage incidents on flights, many of which require unplanned landings to offload disruptive pasengers, involve alcohol.

gigneil

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:05 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 68):
Most air-rage incidents on flights, many of which require unplanned landings to offload disruptive pasengers, involve alcohol.

Many better ways to control that than banning alcohol altogether.

NS

davescj

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:09 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 56):
It is immensely stupid that you can fight and die for your country at 18 and vote, but cant get a beer.

On US military bases, the commander has the discretion to lower the drinking age to 18 on base for those in military service, and most do.

But before you lower the drinking age back to 18, take a look again at alcohol related accidents...that was the reason it was increased in the first place.

davescj

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:12 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 66):
There's no enforcement mechanism. No air marshal is going to pay attention to that shit unless they are sitting right next to them.

I'd report the FA if I suspected when I arrived.....or at the very least, would pull the CSD aside and suggest a carding

davescj

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 23):
I am not saying that you condone bad behaviour, but realize that there is alot of people that know how to handle their drink, not everyone that you see at the pub is an alcoholic.

Yes and they are adults.....who (hopefully) know when to say when.

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 42):
Us minors all know the consequences of drinking and driving.

No you don't....that's the problem.....I've had to call parents.....saying "Mr....Mrs......Smith, there has been an accident, you need to come to the hospital." Believe me, please, when I tell you it is a nightmare parents beg to God everyday to wake up from and can't.

The law isn't there to punish/deny you something. It is to protect you from doing something stupid.

BlueSkys

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:28 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 68):

I am curious as to how many air rage incidents would happen if alcohol was banned, I know a few nervous flyers that relax after 1-2 drinks and that is the only way they can b/c they are so nervous on flights.

wdleiser

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 72):
No you don't....that's the problem.....I've had to call parents.....saying "Mr....Mrs......Smith, there has been an accident, you need to come to the hospital." Believe me, please, when I tell you it is a nightmare parents beg to God everyday to wake up from and can't.

The law isn't there to punish/deny you something. It is to protect you from doing something stupid.

I do, I know Booze + Driving = accident = no Airline Flying and Booze + Driving + Cop = loss of liscense too

If law makers want to prevent teens from drinking and driving.... raise the driving age its that simple. The rest of the civilized world does just fine with young drinking ages. Drinking on an airplane is just fine granted it be a commercial flight because most likely this 15 year old will not be driving home. I am sorry if i have hit a nerve but regardless of if there is an appropriate age to drink or not I will still drink before I am 21 and the majority of teenagers will too. I will not drive if I have had a drink though because flying meens everything to me. It comes down to responsible desicions. I may get into fights when I am hammered but I will not step foot into the drivers seat of a car.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 66):
No air marshal is going to pay attention to that shit unless they are sitting right next to them.

Even still, that is not their job.
You can't cure stupid

GeorgeJetson

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting Hmmmm... (Reply 59):

That's the second stupidest thing I've heard here today.

Stupid people should be banned, not alcohol.

Laws are supposed to punish the stupid... not the people who can handle their shit.

NS

Very well said!!!
Meet George Jetson

brilondon

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 31):
Alcohol (Scotch) on Airlines should be at least 12 years old.

I could not agree with you more!!  bigthumbsup 
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 74):
I may get into fights when I am hammered but I will not step foot into the drivers seat of a car.

Dude, you were doing pretty well until you mentioned the fighting. I just kept waking up with ugly women, even after 21. You seem like a pretty grounded teen, and I think you did right brining up this thread. Unfortunately, here in the States, a lot of people still have a Puritanical view of anything that makes you feel good. I think a lot of the problems stem from not just ability to get alcohol, but to portray it in such a way it's forbidden, thus making it more attractive to people your age. I'm 35 about to be 36, have a non-flying job now because I have two daughters. My parents were pretty cool and open and let's just say back when I was a kid, even in the late '70's all through the '80's leisure time was a lot more liberal. I grew up around drug use and drinking. Back in my sphere of influence it wasn't a big deal. It was common on the weekends that a joint or four were passed around and people were drinking. When I got older I tried it, but never really liked it, even when I continued to live in Germany after I got out of the Air Force and I could kind of sort of smoke pot legally. Back in the day I used to drink a whole lot. But once I got older, I just didn't feel the need for it. I got all that stuff out of my system early. I've done some stupid, funny things, but luckily, no matter how trashed I would get, I didn't do anything stupid enough to put me in jail. That's pretty much the most of us. You'll always here some horror story about a drunk driver or someone doing something stupid on an aircraft. That's a much smaller percentage of people than most of us who drink and smoke, but it gets way too much press. And of course all the "nannyists" want to put another prohibition out for all of us, becuase one person screwed up and we have to be saved from ourselves.

I'm guilty of drinking underage, as well as most of us on this website. But...... as an F/A I'd card you. You may be cool with booze, but, I got a job at stake, even if no one is watching. Here's another thing not brought up. Say you are flying and meeting family. Do you think they want to smell alcohol on your breath? If they do smell it, they are going to ask where you got it from. You'd turn me in? Either way it would come back to me.

Anyway, good post.

gigneil

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 71):
I'd report the FA if I suspected when I arrived.....or at the very least, would pull the CSD aside and suggest a carding

You should mind your own damn business and go on your way. It has nothing to do with you and shouldn't be bothering you.

NS

Jpax

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:18 pm

If law makers want to prevent teens from drinking and driving.... raise the driving age its that simple.

How ignorant.  Yeah sure

I will still drink before I am 21

You definitely need to at Riddle. My condolences.  drunk 

GeorgeJetson

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:21 pm

I lived in Spain between the ages of 8 and 11. I loved soccer and would go to neighborhood bars to watch soccer games on television. Back then, I did not even realize that there was a “drinking age” in any countries, and I never had trouble ordering beers (or even hard liquor) in any bar in Madrid. I remember buying a small bottle of Scotch one cold day (I bought it to keep me warm, not to get drunk) and nobody carded me or asked my age.

At the age of 12, when I moved to the United States, I was quite surprised that I was not even allowed inside a bar and never mind that I could not purchase alcohol. I find that some countries have laws that are way too strict about alcohol. I tend to call these the “laws of reverse effect”. Interestingly, these are the same countries that seem to have the most problems with people abusing alcohol. For some people, rules are meant to be broken. If countries like the United States relaxed their laws about drinking (particularly the minimum drinking age), perhaps there would be less people abusing alcohol as less people would be inclined to “break the rules”. Just my two cents about this intriguing subject!
Meet George Jetson

xtoler

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:25 pm

Gigneil,

These are the pax I worry about. That's why I always tried to be as legit as possible. But a lot are blow hards.

As much as I'd like to stay on here, I just had a few adult beverages, and I think I'm going to bed before I have to be at work tonight in about 12 hours. Gee, hope I'm not leading people to think I've got a drinking problem. But hey, I'm 36, so I'm legal. And no I'm not flying, but if I were, I'm well within FAA regs.

EI350

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:26 pm

Quoting Jonty (Reply 44):
Wow, its interesting to see the attitude difference between USA and UK. Here in the UK under aged drinking is basically a given! Everyone does it, some starting at 13/14!

Have to agree with you here. When I visited a flight school in the US in the summer, all they kept saying was you would be classed as an alcoholic unless you could prove otherwise if you were ever caught drinking. Back across the pond, all the major flight schools such as Oxford and Jerez have student bars!
Airports: DUB, SNN, JFK, LHR, STN, MIA, CRL, FCO, FAO, PMI, BCN, AMS, MAH, PHL, MSP, GFK, DTW, ATW, IBZ, TLS, OSH

Acey559

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:28 pm

I had a few drinks this summer when flying DL BizElite to Europe. The F/A never questioned it, but I'm 20 so she may have figured that I was older. I don't think it's such a big deal, I had a couple beers with dinner and went to bed. On the way back I wanted to try one of their Signature Cocktails, even though I never drink hard liquor. They weren't bad, but I stuck with beer after that. Which brings up another point, has anyone noticed that DL's beer selection is horrible? Heineken, Miller Lite, MGD? All pretty bad, but I cut my losses and went with the MGD. I wish mainline carried Sam Adams like Shuttle does.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

SkyyMaster

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:34 pm

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 79):
You should mind your own damn business and go on your way. It has nothing to do with you and shouldn't be bothering you.

If a person thinks someone is a potential hazard to others, even if it means once they leave the airport to drive, it is very much their responsibility to report it. People are freaking out over Muslims on planes. I'd be more worried some sloshed drunk got out on the highway after a flight and killed someone, possibly even me. If the FA's are too lazy to do it, someone should.

Edited for spelling.

[Edited 2007-11-05 14:34:48]

gigneil

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:40 pm

He wasn't talking about someone causing a threat. He was talking about reporting an FA for serving a minor a drink. Not even reporting the minor. That is douchebaggery at its best.

If I see a drunk stumbling his way towards the door, you better believe I will mention it to someone at the bar. If, however, I see someone smoking a one-hitter outside a restaurant, I'm going to knowingly smile and go on, because that isn't hurting me or anyone else.

NS

BlueShamu330s

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Gigneil

Thankyou for introducing me to the word "douchebaggery."

I shall use it at a meeting I have with management on Thursday!

You've quite made my day !!!!!!!!

Shamu
Flying around India

bok269

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:06 am

If law makers want to prevent teens from drinking and driving.... raise the driving age its that simple.

Why? Because a couple of irresponsible kids are going to drink and drive and ruin it for the rest of us? I don't care if you drink, don't get on the road and ruin it for the rest of us or worse, kill someone. If you want to drink, be responsible. I'm not going to sacrifice my chance to drive so some other kid can go get wasted.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

wdleiser

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 89):
Why? Because a couple of irresponsible kids are going to drink and drive and ruin it for the rest of us? I don't care if you drink, don't get on the road and ruin it for the rest of us or worse, kill someone. If you want to drink, be responsible. I'm not going to sacrifice my chance to drive so some other kid can go get wasted.

All in all whether drinking at age 18 is the law or 21 or 16 for that matter teens will still have access to cars and alcohol. So i resent the statement i made earlier. it will happen no matter what.

bok269

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:04 am

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 90):

All in all whether drinking at age 18 is the law or 21 or 16 for that matter teens will still have access to cars and alcohol. So i resent the statement i made earlier. it will happen no matter what.

I agree. However, it is a bit harder to get away with driving illegaly than drinking underage.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

georgebush

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:10 am

I was always paranoid about being "carded" on a flight. Its not like you can use the excuse "oh I left my ID at home.."
Al Gore invented global warming.

wdleiser

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 92):
I was always paranoid about being "carded" on a flight. Its not like you can use the excuse "oh I left my ID at home.."

It is even easier.. oo sorry its way back there in the overhead. I mean I could get it if you want...

No FA has ever made me get up and get it... they say just wait til after the flight then wink at me

vv701

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting Heathrow (Reply 18):
It doesn't matter what age you are, drinking is bad for you anyways.

Incorrect. Drinking, like most things, is good in moderation, bad in excess. The theory that alcoholic drinks can provide medicinal benefits is true. Here is one example:

Wine, particularly red wine, contains certain phenols. These phenols are good for your heart. So drink one (not two, three or more) glass of red wine a day every day and you reduce your chances of dying from heart disease. The source for this is a paper published in the Journal of the American Association of Clinical Chemists in the early 1990s.

Quoting KSMOGeNe (Reply 30):
I have heard of airlines flying over Saudi airspace being required to stop serving alcohol, in accordance with their laws, if the final destination is also within Saudi Arabia.

My own recollections (which may be a little fuzzy) of flying to Saudi are that the FA's stopped serving alcohol well before we landed and carefully collected all the empties and stowed them also well before we landed. On the return flight I am pretty sure that nearly all the passengers had a glass in their hand soon after take-off and long before we left Saudi air space.

georgebush

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:36 am

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 93):
No FA has ever made me get up and get it... they say just wait til after the flight then wink at me

lol I have used that one as well, and usually works. I just didnt want to give any of our minor friends on here any ideas...
Al Gore invented global warming.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos