Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

retrolivery

RE: Remembering The Old Days Of Airline Meals

Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:27 pm

I remember as recently as 2004, on an IAD-SFO flight on UA, Christmas Eve Dinner was offered on board. The choices were between Lasagne or Turkey IIRC, and the meal came with a roll, standard issue UASalad, and a package of Oreos. A far cry from the pre-9/11 days, but I remember being surprised at the offer of a full meal service on a domestic, albeit transcon, flight.
A3, AA, AC, AI, AK, AM, AP, AZ, B6, BA, CO, DL, EK, EY, FL, FI, FR, KL, KM, LH, MA, MH, MS, OA, OK, OS, SR, TA, TG, U2,

sampa737

Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:35 pm

Quoting SkyGirl (Reply 8):
it's funny to me that we used to complain about the quality of airline food...nowadays I think we'd be happy to have them back on flights.

So true!

I remember flying Eastern MEM-ATL-FLL-ATL-MEM back in the 80s. All 4 legs they served SOUP! It wasn't long after, Eastern cut MEM for like the 3rd time and then not long later Eastern went bankrupt!

SNACKS on Brasilian airines used to be the same portion as a MEAL on US carriers. I haven't flown in Brasil in some time so I don't know if that still holds true. I do know that if you had several stops, you normally got a snack during each flight.

EXAAUADL

Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:40 pm

In 1973, I flew DL from JFK-BOS. We were serve a sandwich as we boarded.

davidkunzVIE

Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:09 pm

In 1997, Lauda was serving omelettes on VIE-VRN. On a CRJ!!! Free sparkling wine included! For breakfast!

I also remember DL serving me the most wonderful Teriyaki chicken on LAX-HNL on a Tristar250.
Ah, well...
DH3 DH4 CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 F70 732 733 734 73G 738 752 762 763 772 742 743 319 320 321 333 343

LoneStarMike

Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:41 pm

If a picture is worth a thousand words...

LoneStarMike

dairbus

Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:42 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 18):
Check out BOAC Hong-Kong to Calcutta 1965 on the Northwestern archives.

I agree. Those menus are quite a time warp. I was getting flashes of the old James Bond movies with Sean Connery. The following at the end of the menu did catch my eye however.

With your coffee * English or American Cigarettes

Different times indeed!
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

YOWJflyer

Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:53 pm

i fly a lot and the food up front is not too bad. Just skimpy portions. Last flight on Singapore Vancouver/Spore, food was not excellent but in j wasn't too bad really. Looking forward to CX in the morning, Spore/Hkong/Vnvcr for food. Last couple of trips with Emirates and BA the food was not something to write home about.

NeptunesCar

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:09 pm

i remember pan am had 'chicken or beef' for years and the cabin crew were shocked when you told them what you wanted before they even had to ask. that was in the late 80's early 90's.
You call it the world, we call it home. Pan Am.

Faustino927

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:22 pm

When I first started working for Pan Am as a F/A in 1979 it was a lot of work. I worked in the economy section and we worked like crazy rolling cart after cart, there were choices of meals, snaks and drinks FOR FREE. Time just flew by though (lol!)) and it made an 8 hour flight seem like nothing. I felt sorry fo my co workers who worked in first and business class. Those were the days, now it's a box and you have to buy it. AARRGG!!!!!
Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

davidlc3

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:24 pm

I've had the privilege of working on all levels of airline food from serving it as a F/A to managing it as Director of Inflight Catering to selling it as a member of one of the "major" airline food companies - and have ridden the waves over the years.

Quite honestly the demise of onboard food can only be blamed on the caterers who all but raped the airlines with incredible service charges and fees. It cost me more to have a truck pull up to the airplane than to feed the 200 people onboard.

nema

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:33 pm

Ive always been amazed that we can take a 3/4 hour bus journey and we dont expect anything other than a driver up front. Yet we board an aircraft and suddenly everyone wants a meal.. Very often on a 2 hour flight or so, i just want to relax, but it is often impossible as the trolley dolly's keep thundering up an down the aisle with food and drink, gifts and duty free stuff whilst intermittently shouting down the tannoy system what is coming next... Gimme a break.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

JRDC930

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:35 pm

I actually had some good meals on DL from LAX-GDL, in the 90's, recently the only meals ive eaten have been on AM/MX, to mexico, usually pasta, but its pretty good and at least you get a meal, last year i was even lucky to get small piece of steak! Its a shame the U.S. carriers have decided to starve their passengers; even on flighs 3.5+ ...  Sad , but thats the U.S. for you...
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

highflier92660

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:38 pm

From the long-lost days of Boeing 747 classic wide-bodies, First Class travel when it meant formal coats and ties, Chateaubriand, Bordeaux wine and circular stairways leading to passenger lounges: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnkjyFCXfnU

NWADC9

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:54 pm

I remember getting a tossed salad (or was it Caesar?), spinach lasagna, and chocolate cake on an XJ RJ-85 around 2000. It was JAN-MEM.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

EXAAUADL

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 63):
remember getting a tossed salad (or was it Caesar?), spinach lasagna, and chocolate cake on an XJ RJ-85 around 2000. It was JAN-MEM.

you must have been in J class, cuz even in 2000, you didnt get a meal on JAN-MEM in Y...fly DL on an early AM JAN-MEM flight on a D9S in 1978, and youd probably get a light meal

nomadic

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 2):
My personal favorite airline meals were always TWA - their breakfast flights always seemed to have tasty and filling selections

In the 1960's on TWA I remember french toast, saussage, fresh fruit and a pastry, all on a 55 minute flight between LAX and SFO !

From First Class, TWA had the finest evening meals ever. I can still taste the chateaubriand, carved at the seat and the double-cut French lamb chops, (a TWA signature dish). The first time I had lobster was in coach on a 2 hour JFK CMH flight.

At least I still have the menus!

:?)

NWADC9

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:50 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 64):
Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 63):
remember getting a tossed salad (or was it Caesar?), spinach lasagna, and chocolate cake on an XJ RJ-85 around 2000. It was JAN-MEM.

you must have been in J class, cuz even in 2000, you didnt get a meal on JAN-MEM in Y...fly DL on an early AM JAN-MEM flight on a D9S in 1978, and youd probably get a light meal

Yeah, I was in F Big grin

Y got a sandwich and some other stuff, I think, as that's what they generally had. It's kind of like the movie snack served on int'l flights. I also remember bagels in the morning...

And that was only 7 years ago!
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

richierich

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:58 pm

The funny thing about airline meals is that as much as people miss them (or at least the idea of them), I rarely heard anybody say that they ever liked eating them. In fact it was quite common for airline meals to be the butt of Carson jokes. I can't imagine people would have paid $5-10 for them back them, so I do find it quite ironic that people miss these "frills" today.

Hey, I'm with the nostalgic folks. I've always enjoyed eating airplane meals even when the food was only adequate in preparation and taste. I look forward to transatlantic flights for (partly) that reason. But I don't see a time where they are coming back. People seem to prefer bringing their own food on board or just going without and saving a few bucks. Domestically in the US and across Europe, perhaps this makes sense.

I've learned one thing about this industry: what goes around comes around. A decade from now, full-service carriers will probably be back with five course meals....
None shall pass!!!!

continental180

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:00 pm

but we really dont fly for the food

so who really cares about whats being served? im happy with current day jetblue and the cookies they have

Soda + Cookies+ Sun Chips= Good

im not there to fly for the luxury food. i just want to get to my destination.

justloveplanes

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:09 pm

I still look forward to flying business first on CO. The food going transpac is really good as is the wine. Sushi appetizer, salad, seafood that is occaisionally superb (including boullibaise), huge Sundaes and cobbler, and best of all, a wine and cheese plate.

Food is still as good as it's ever been. Just not in coach. Like many others here, I have fond memories of TWA's meal service in coach. Really good.

jcavinato

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:37 pm

Eggs for breakfast -- the first time

I used to know a fellow who commercialized eggs for serving on planes in already set plates/trays. Their first experiment aloft: it was a flight from Chicago to New York. Everyone was excited about it. The eggs turned green with the heating up. They couldn't serve any of it, and they gave everyone on the plane chits to buy in the airport. It turned out that th altitude and something added to them caused the green.

They figured it out and experimented for several weeks with meals that were to be served.

This was late 1950s or so

Maybe that's where we got the phrase about green eggs.?!

FlyBoy84

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:12 pm

Back in the 1970s, when I was a wee lad, I remember flying AA with my grandmother to DCA and having Salisbury steak with either peas or green beans.

In 1978, I flew Air Jamaica to MGB. The meal consisted of barbequed chicken with vegetables. I don't remember a dessert.

I remember those meals being tasty. But the pits was a TW flight to DTW: scrambled eggs with bisquits and gravy. BLECHCHCHCHCHCHCHCH!!!! It was all they had and the flight was delayed due to heavy fog. Incidentally, this was also the flight that was involved in a near-miss with a Lear Jet...so close that the pilot could tell exactly what kind of plane. I thought we were going to literally fall outta the sky  Wow!

But OZ was one of my favorites. On an hour-long flight ORD-STL, the FAs managed to serve a full DC9 their choice of roast beef or turkey sandwiches, a bag of chips, a WHOLE CAN OF SODA, cookies, and an apple! They had to rush up and down the aisle to collect all the trash before the pilot pointed the nose down very steeply making a descent that ALMOST felt like the day we had the near-miss  scared   vomit   weeping   white   whiteflag   wideeyed 

I don't sweat the fact that there are no meals now. I mean with so many more choices in the terminals nowadays, I can get something before I get on the plane and eat it in relative comfort in the restaurant or food court.

skyhawk

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:12 am

I remember way, way back when-1971 to be exact. National served between Miami-JFK, cocktails with hot appetizers, salad, entree with a choice of wines or champagne, desert with coffee or tea, and finally a fruit and cheese tray. On the 727 there was only one person in front to do the service once the cocktails were out.

Faustino927-I loved working the 74 up front. The F/C galley was home for me. Yes, it was work, but no more that you guys working in ECY had to deal with. BTW, where were you based? I started out in MIA when PAA took over National, then moved to JFK in 1980.

Nice to see something from a Panamer. It seems as though we are a rarity.

Skyhawk

JRDC930

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:19 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 67):
People seem to prefer bringing their own food on board or just going without and saving a few bucks. Domestically in the US and across Europe, perhaps this makes sense.

No i dont think people prefer to bring their own food, especially when they have enough on their hands at the airport, or if they leave at a time when airport restaurants are closed. People put up with this because the airlines decided they might save a couple hundred thousand on costs. At the very least airlines could integrate a small fee to a ticket and at least create the illusion of a free meal. Given a very similar price, id take an airline that serves free food on a 4+ hr trans-con flight any day over one that prefers to starve its cattle (AKA passengers)... but alas even i realize this will never happen in the U.S. i suppose all thats left is reminiscing...  Sad

P.S. BOB is an insult not a service.

My 2 Cents
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

CV880

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:44 am

Delta DC-8's/747's ATL-West Coast in the 70's. Prime Rib, Ice Cream Cake for dessert, and all the mini bottles that you could consume (and to-go bottles). Short hauls or coach meals system wide, Chicken Kiev in 1st, BBQ Chicken in coach with pecan pie for dessert....those transcon meals seemed to diminsh in quality after the L10's arrived.

Faustino927

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:23 pm

I also started at MIA in 1979 when I started flying. Then in 1980 I was sent to LA and was there for 4 years. Then in 1984 when I flew international Pan Am sent me to London and I lived there until they closed. What a sad, sad day for us. Only we understand what it felt like. We were "aviation royalty", we were known all over the world.
I was lucky to have visited many, many countries with Pan Am and on my own.
Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

FlyBoy84

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:15 pm

Quoting Jcavinato (Reply 70):
Eggs for breakfast -- the first time

I used to know a fellow who commercialized eggs for serving on planes in already set plates/trays. Their first experiment aloft: it was a flight from Chicago to New York. Everyone was excited about it. The eggs turned green with the heating up. They couldn't serve any of it, and they gave everyone on the plane chits to buy in the airport. It turned out that th altitude and something added to them caused the green.

They figured it out and experimented for several weeks with meals that were to be served.

This was late 1950s or so

Maybe that's where we got the phrase about green eggs.?!

eyebrow   idea   sarcastic 

Well...they COULDA' diced some ham and called it GREEN EGGS and HAM!  rotfl   silly 

whatusaid

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:48 pm

Ah, the good ol days....

I remember a DL flight in the 80's or early '90s from DFW to MCO on an L1011; had an upgrade to 1st. Lobster peri-peri style, whatever that means, matter of fact two tails that were actually not overdone, and so good that I wanted a third. And, since they had an extra few, I did.

And, going back in time to the late 60's, on a UA DC-6 flight from SFO-FAT, with roast beef and the best lemon chiffon cake I'd ever had. Not bad for coach on a one hour flight.

Now, I bypass everything, even on most Intl flights. On a recent UA to NRT, the food in Biz Class wasn't worth eating. Horrible.

ucunnn2

Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:52 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 15):
and a delightful kosher meal aboard Mexicana en route to MEX. The following January a magnificent Spanish omelet was served as the kosher meal aboard a Canadian Airlines flight to Vancouver. I consider myself a Spanish omelet aficionado based on that one meal.

Mexicana still nowadays offers complimentary meals and beverages on most of their flights. Alcohol drinks are served for free as well, however a bigger selection might be available of certain types of licuors and wines on their executive class.

BCAL

Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:43 pm

Shakespeare, Joyce, Donne and Goethe could not have written it better.....so I will quote an old reply in a thread by a.net member Longhauler

Quote:
Imagine hot towel and juice service before takeoff.

Imagine dinner service in three courses. One tray with salad and appetizer, all served on linen, with full sized cutlery, and all Royal Doulton china, right down to the butter dish and the salt and pepper shakers.

Then the main course served separately. And the flight attendants weren't kidding when they asked how you wanted your steak done.

Dessert on yet another tray, this time Baked Alaska served with Spanish Coffee in a full sized mug, or better yet, "Canadian Coffee".

Imagine Flight Attendants who were mandated to stay in the cabin, they were only allowed in the galley if they were working or on a break!

Wardair had 34 - 36" seat pitch, and the highest bathroom to passenger ratio in the business. I recall Max Ward saying, "people don't have to line up to use a bathroom in my house, why should they on one of my airplanes?"

http://www.airchive.com/Timetables%20and%20Maps/Canada%202005/WARD88insert-1.jpg

Chateaubriand was served on outbound flights and finest Salmon en Croute on inbound flights. And yes it was Y class!

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 24):
Wardair used Royal Daulton fine china- I still have a tea set somewhere around.... I recall hearing that on the DC-10 flights, when turbulence delayed the meal service, sometimes everything got tossed down the garbage chute... and the Royal Daulton got smashed... oh the weight.... oh the waste.... oh the bygone luxury!

It was specially designed and manufactured for Wardair Canada.

Max Ward once said that 'guests' (he never called them passengers) on his aircraft would never have to pay for anything. You could drink all you want (champagne excepted) and eat until you were stuffed and it did not cost a penny more than Y class of other airlines. How much it has changed now when airlines like FR charge you for everything.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."