Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PZ
Topic Author

Possible ASU-BOG Flight?

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:36 am

According to a local newspaper, by the end of the year there would be a ASU-BOG flight. Possibly TAM?

Article (in Spanish): Enlace aéreo con Bogotá

Orion737

RE: Possible ASU-BOG Flight?

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:12 pm

Any increase in services to and from Paraguay makes me very happy.

PZ
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:36 pm

Looking for more information about this possible route, it looks that it will be served by OceanAir. I really hope so, so that we have another airline here in ASU!

777jaah

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:30 pm

To be honest, I don't see much demand for the route, unless someone is counting on connecting traffic and increase numbrs on routes like MIA, JFK, MAD, MEX, etc.

JAAH

PZ
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:35 pm

Quoting 777jaah (Reply 3):
To be honest, I don't see much demand for the route, unless someone is counting on connecting traffic and increase numbrs on routes like MIA, JFK, MAD, MEX, etc.

Exactly, I didn't see much demand for the route ASU-VVI either, but AeroSur and PZ are doing well on that route, most of the passengers continue to other destinations such as MIA and JFK.

Orion737

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:36 pm

I think its about time AA thought of serving ASU once again and connecting the country to Miami.

Summa767

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting 777jaah (Reply 3):

I understand that the flight would be ASU-BOG-MIA.
There was a meeting between the the ministers of foreign affairs of Paraguay and Colombia in views to establishing a flexible bilateral agreement. I guess that would mean fifth freedom rights. That way it might be possible to have passengers from Asunción stop in Bogota for connections, whilst some stay onboard to be joined by passengers from Bogota to MIA. It could work.

I read another interview, in which Mr Efromovich says that opening an airline is just one of the business opportunities that he is looking at in Paraguay, but it sounded as if the airline was not top priority. However, the paraguayan government sees better air connectivity as a very important issue.

I wonder if this means that OceanAir or Avianca will fly to Paraguay soon, and that later on a Paraguayan flagged will be developed by the Synergy group?

PZ
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:41 pm

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 6):
I understand that the flight would be ASU-BOG-MIA.

That route will be a lot shorter than the usually routes you have to take to get to MIA, like ASU-GRU-MIA, ASU-EZE-MIA or ASU-SCL-MIA. You could also take the route ASU-VVI-MIA with AeroSur but I specially don't like that route because of the planes they use, 732 and 752. I prefer a longer ASU-GRU-MIA with PZ and JJ using A320 and A330.

Pu752

Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:13 pm

The demand of ASU-BOG must be really low, but with connections could work but Im wondering why BOG instead of better options like LIM,CCS or even PTY (then codeshare)....all three can be operated by a A320 too.....Im not sure how many A320 PZ has, I assume 1 or 2 because they only serve EZE and GRU.
Not to be negative but ABC announced CM flights to ASU and MX flights to ASU too, so I will believe when I see it, and Im really looking forward to this Big grin

Saludos!

PZ
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Quoting PU752 (Reply 8):
The demand of ASU-BOG must be really low, but with connections could work but Im wondering why BOG instead of better options like LIM,CCS or even PTY (then codeshare)....all three can be operated by a A320 too.....Im not sure how many A320 PZ has, I assume 1 or 2 because they only serve EZE and GRU.
Not to be negative but ABC announced CM flights to ASU and MX flights to ASU too, so I will believe when I see it, and Im really looking forward to this 

Saludos!

As Summa767 said, it looks that Mr. Efromovich is behind this. I remember he was interested in doing something similar as JJ did with PZ with OcenAir operating from ASU. He was in Asuncion the past days and he was the one that said that by the end of the year that route will be operational, ABC just transcripted what he said. An ASU-BOG-MIA is more direct thatn ASU-LIM-MIA I guess, and since Mr. Efromovich is behind this it's obvious why the route would be ASU-BOG-MIA.

PU752, any news on PU returning to ASU? maybe summer flights to Punta del Este as PZ does?

Pu752

Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting PZ (Reply 9):
An ASU-BOG-MIA

I agree, but you can't just focus in one destination only, if you're in ASU and want to go to CCS,UIO,BOG and Central America it'd be better choice if you connect in LIM.....and from LIM to JFK,LAX and MEX its barely the same but I'm sure if you know both airports you will take for sure LIM instead of BOG in terms of infrastructure.... although BOG might have more PAX/Year in my opinion LIM its a true hub.

Quoting PZ (Reply 9):
PU752, any news on PU returning to ASU? maybe summer flights to Punta del Este as PZ does

Yes, confirmed, ASU-PDP 2x weekly non-stop...seasonal only.....I guess this is better than the PZ summer service ASU-EZE-PDP....lets see what they do regarding new PU service.

Orion737

Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:54 pm

I wish TAM would add Paraguay to the titles on the aircraft, TAM Paraguay, therefore distinguishing it from Brazil.

PZ
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:49 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 11):
I wish TAM would add Paraguay to the titles on the aircraft, TAM Paraguay, therefore distinguishing it from Brazil.

I second that! Some of TAM Paraguay aircrafts have a little sticker in the form of a heart with the Paraguayan flag colors and it says TAM MERCOSUR under cockpit windows, but that's the only difference. When TAM Paraguay was formed, they wanted to make a new liverly for TAM Mercosur, but then decided to maintain the same colors as JJ so that they could exchange airplanes as they need.
Here you can see the sticker I was talking about:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © SkyLiner

MAH4546

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:24 pm

The airline that is looking at this is Ocean Air. They service would be routed MIA-BOG-ASU,

PZ
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:40 pm

What airplane would Ocean Air use on this route? B763, F100? What other airplanes/orders does OceanAir have?

Summa767

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:03 pm

Quoting PZ (Reply 14):
What airplane would Ocean Air use on this route? B763, F100? What other airplanes/orders does OceanAir have?

I would imagine that it's likely to be a 757. OceanAir should be receiving one very shortly (I hear that a wingleted 757 for O6 is at BOG right now).
O6 should also get a second 763.
No way an F100 for ASU-BOG-MIA, but maybe for future regional routes.

PZ
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:18 pm

A 757 will fit perfectly to that route! I see this route really attractive to people traveling from ASU to MIA. But I'm still waiting for a nonstop AA flight to MIA! There have been a big increase in PAX traveling from ASU in the past year, and this is reflected by the increasing number of flights coming to ASU. Most flights are leaving full from ASU, specially flights to GRU and EZE.

RCS763AV

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:16 pm

Quoting PU752 (Reply 8):
The demand of ASU-BOG must be really low, but with connections could work but Im wondering why BOG instead of better options like LIM,CCS or even PTY (then codeshare)....

Yes. BOG offers more connection possibilities than LIM or CCS.

Quoting PU752 (Reply 10):
Quoting PZ (Reply 9):
An ASU-BOG-MIA

I agree, but you can't just focus in one destination only, if you're in ASU and want to go to CCS,UIO,BOG and Central

If you want to go to CCS BOG is closer. The same goes to north american destinations. BOG also offers much more flights to europe than LIM.

And if it´s O6 launching the route, AV´s nearly 200 daily flights will for sure provide for better connections than the ones provided in LIM. TA has a small hub operation, and LP is mostly O/D.

although BOG might have more PAX/Year in my opinion LIM its a true hub.

Why? Who´s hub? Even if BOG´s infraestructure is small and cramped, BOG is organized as a hub, LIM is not. Plus, BOG is already receiving a 650 million USD renovation. It includes a brand-new 20-gate international terminal, adn the complete renovation of the current structure. Works started in August.

Even though, demand between BOG and ASU is not small, it´s near null. The flight will purely rely on connections. I guess it might originate from GRU?

777jaah

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:28 am

in my opinion LIM its a true hub

Sorry to disagree, but if you look at it right now, there's many mor epossiblities to fly somewhere from BOG than from LIM. IMO AV can provide better connections from BOG than TA from LIM, unless you think people would like to have another stop in order to fly TA to somewhere else. And if you think ahead int he future, AV will be even a better connections provider to many destinations than TA. Just my  twocents 

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 15):
(I hear that a wingleted 757 for O6 is at BOG right now).
O6 should also get a second 763.

I think they already have the 763 insight. About the 757, haven't seen it in BOG, but someone mentioned in this forum it came from a chinese carrier, and it should be ready for the Xmas season.

JAAH

Pu752

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:35 am

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 17):
Why? Who´s hub? Even if BOG´s infraestructure is small and cramped, BOG is organized as a hub, LIM is not

who's ? TACA and LAN's......if you check between 2100 and 2200hrs will see TA departing flights to all South American countries except Paraguay, and flights connecting to Central and North America better than what BOG offers.. that makes LIM a good hub, better than BOG..which is in my opinion a messy airport...., LIM and TA is quite similar as PTY and CM.

Southamerica

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:48 am

BOG and LIM are different stories, each one with its own advantages and disadvantages.

In this specific case, the only added value that would put LIM ahead of BOG, is that Lima might have more O&D traffic to/from Asuncion to support an eventual ASU-LIM flight.

Wether LIM has more or less connecting possibilities than BOG is pretty much pointless. Asuncion has limited traffic, and the basic destination they are lacking right now is Miami. As long as the ASU-BOG flight continues to (or connects to) MIA, I see absolutely no benefit in LIM over BOG.

SA.

SJOtoLIR

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:51 am

Quoting PZ (Reply 4):
I didn't see much demand for the route ASU-VVI either, but AeroSur and PZ are doing well on that route, most of the passengers continue to other destinations such as MIA and JFK.

The easiest choice to get JFK for those passengers coming from Paraguay is ASU-GRU-JFK instead and given by PZ and JJ system.
However, the chance for 5L is ASU-VVI-MIA-JFK. Operated with 5L and DL.

Quoting PZ (Reply 9):
ASU-BOG-MIA is more direct than ASU-LIM-MIA

Yes. O6 may extend the interline agreement with AV in order to pick up passengers from ASU to their domestic and international destinations on AV network through BOG.

Regards.

777jaah

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:05 pm

There's a small article on colombia'n businees newspaper abouit. Here's the link (only in spanish):

http://www.portafolio.com.co/port_se...B-NOTA_INTERIOR_PORTA-3696720.html

JAAH

PZ
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:19 am

According to this article in "Ultima Hora" newspaper: ( Se abren las posibilidades de que otra aerolínea vuelva al país ) Pluna will start operating from ASU with conections to CDE and PDP 2x weekly, as PU752 said.
Also, AeroSur Paraguay will start operating in 2 weeks ASU-EZE. Now you will be able to choose between AR, PZ, GOL and AeroSur Paraguay to travel to EZE from ASU.
Also, according to the newspaper, Avianca (OcenAir?) is next to start operating in ASU and also AA is returning next year.

PU752: do you know what airplane is PU going to use for this route?

[Edited 2007-11-08 18:24:47]

SJOtoLIR

Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting PZ (Reply 23):
Pluna will start operating from ASU with conections to CDE and PDP 2x weekly,

I am glad about all these news from Paraguay !
The IATA code for Ciudad del Este airport is actually AGT.
Regards.

PZ
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:51 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 24):
The IATA code for Ciudad del Este airport is actually AGT.

Hi SJOtoLIR! You're right! my bad! We usually abreviate Ciudad del Este with CDE here in Paraguay, but not in aeronautical terms  Wink

PZ
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting PU752 (Reply 8):
Im not sure how many A320 PZ has, I assume 1 or 2 because they only serve EZE and GRU.

According to TAM Mercosur, they will replace all ther F100 with A319/A320 gradually.

Pu752

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting PZ (Reply 23):
PU752: do you know what airplane is PU going to use for this route?

Yes, that'd be a 732.....although ASU is planned to be served with CR9 3rd quarter of 2008 from MVD.

Quoting PZ (Reply 23):
According to this article in "Ultima Hora" newspaper: ( Se abren las posibilidades de que otra aerolínea vuelva al país )

Is AV coming to ASU? or they meant Ocean Air ?

PZ
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:51 pm

Quoting PU752 (Reply 27):
Is AV coming to ASU? or they meant Ocean Air ?

Not sure! I think they meant Ocean Air

Summa767

Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:25 pm

Quoting PZ (Reply 28):
Not sure! I think they meant Ocean Air

I am similarly confused. OceanAir has been mentioned, but that seems rather complicated: A brasilian carrier taking passengers from Paraguay to Colombia and the US, and picking up passengers in Colombia to the US, and back. Whereas if it was AV, it would be a Colombian airline flying to and from Paraguay and the US. Simple. I therefore would guess it is the latter option, eventually being replaced by a Paraguayan carrier of the Synergy group. That is where the flexible bilateral between Paraguay and Colombia currently been drafted comes in, so that their planes can be used onwards to the US or elsewhere.

Both AV and O6 will soon have on their fleets an extra 757 each. They are currently at BOG and have already received their respective colour schemes. Ocenair's 757 features winglets.

PZ
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting Summa767 (Reply 29):
Whereas if it was AV, it would be a Colombian airline flying to and from Paraguay and the US. Simple. I therefore would guess it is the latter option, eventually being replaced by a Paraguayan carrier of the Synergy group

That is more logical! As far as I remember, Synergy group was considering creating a paraguay carrier called Ocean Air Paraguay, but that could take still some time.

PZ
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting PZ (Reply 23):
Also, AeroSur Paraguay will start operating in 2 weeks ASU-EZE. Now you will be able to choose between AR, PZ, GOL and AeroSur Paraguay to travel to EZE from ASU.

I will gather a little more info about this and the airplanes they are going to use. I remember hearing about B737 and B727s. According to the article they are just waiting for Argentina to aprove that route, so let's see what happens.

Pu752

Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:47 am

Just my thoughts but, AA is watching closely this suppose Ocean Air "ASU-BOG-MIA"........Im sure if this is going to happen, AA will lunch ASU before them, just my 2ct.

PZ
Topic Author

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:17 pm

If AA launches a nonstop ASU-MIA flight, I don't see too much future to a ASU-BOG-MIA route.

SJOtoLIR

Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:29 am

Related to the press release that has been posted out on reply 23, PU will initiate 2x weekly MVD-ASU.
It states the possibility to pick up passengers in the new flight from ASU to PU MVD-MAD. However, PU would struggle to response the daily services PZ ASU-AGT-GRU that fit with the long-hauls IB GRU-MAD. Mind PZ ASU-AGT-GRU is currently code-sharing with both JJ and IB.
AR is also participating in the market between Paraguay and Spain due to the new daily services AR ASU-EZE that enable connections with AR EZE-MAD.
Regards.

Pu752

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 34):
Related to the press release that has been posted out on reply 23, PU will initiate 2x weekly MVD-ASU.

PU will start 2x ASU-PDP not MVD, with 732, service ASU-MVD wont be able until late 2008..........

PZ
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:56 pm

According to this article in La Nacion newspaper: Desde diciembre operaría la nueva aerolínea con bandera paraguaya, the airline will be OceanAir Paraguay. Now we will have TAM Paraguay, Ocean Air Paraguay, AeroSur Paraguay, isn't it time for a real paraguayan airline?

Pu752

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting PZ (Reply 36):
Now we will have TAM Paraguay, Ocean Air Paraguay, AeroSur Paraguay, isn't it time for a real paraguayan airline?

True, isnt it? ................ I always complain about PU, but on the other hand despite all the problems with it Im glad we have a true Uruguayan Airline flying across the skies.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos