Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

The First Singapore Aviation Thread!

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:10 pm

Welcome on board, folks! This is just an experiment, since I notice that threads relating to SIA, Changi and other issues relating to Singaporean aviation are followed closely. For many, many years, since I first became interested in aviation, back in the early 1980s, I have been fascinated by the success and growth of SIA and Changi. Like the other country threads - Irish, Swiss, NZ etc - this will be a place to discuss all developments relating to aviation in Singapore.

I was prompted to set up this by a report in the news section today, relating to Open Skies between Singapore and Canada; this is a very significant development, because for many years there was something of a stand-off between the two countries, with SIA being told to abandon its short-lived YYZ service in the early 1990s. Hopefully, this will lead to many more direct links between the two countries; theoretically, SQ could fly to YYZ through another major European destination, particularly one which has Open Skies with Canada.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071107/..._col;_ylt=A9G_R3eg9DFHzLwAUwdvaA8F

You don't have to look that hard for news about Singaporean aviation - the A380, obviously, but also recent threads about the A330-300, the soon to be opened T3 at Changi and various other developments. I hope the Singaporeans among us will enjoy and appreciate this and it will encourage more to join up and share some info with us.

Over to you!

GneissGuy

RE: The First Singapore Aviation Thread!

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:23 pm

Glad that thread was finally started. Things have never been better for Singapore aviation!

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:50 pm

Thanks Gneiss Guy, hopefully we can keep it going a bit longer!

Just a few questions to get things going:

1. When is T3 supposed to be opening?
2. How many 744 (pax) now operated by SIA?
3. Now that the 773ER is well established in the SIA fleet, is there any discussion of the possibility of replacing the A345 with the 772LR?
4. Any word on potential new routes/destinations for SQ?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:56 pm

1) Terminal 3 opens on 09 January 2008.

3) The B77L is too expensive and hence the cost of capital is too large and doesn't provide enough returns. One assumes that the B789/A359 will replace the A345 I think.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

c172pic

Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:49 pm

Que viva Singapore airlines cabin attendant hotties! Is it me, or do they show quite bit of leg?

Good times!

El DE
 Big grin

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:13 pm

Standing still, not much, but yes as you say, on some Singapore Girls, a lot of leg can be seen as they walk.

aussiestu

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:40 pm

With Open Skies to Canada and the possibility of operating to YYZ is it not quicker to fly YYZ nonstop from SIN rather than through a European city? Although this can now theoretically be flown as SIA flies nonstop to New York they could also now fly nonstop to Toronto? Why fly through Europe? Or does SIA gain more passengers when it flies through a European city?

speedygonzales

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:57 pm

I've noticed that SIA flies SIN-JFK via FRA, and UA flies SIN-IAD via NRT. Can anyone share some insights in the respective choices of stopovers?
Ignorance kills. :tombstone:

Ryan h

Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:35 pm

From 1st December 2007 to end of January 2008 Singapore Airlines will be putting on two flughts on Saturdays into Adelaide as from what I have heard that bookings over the christmas time are so high they need the extra flight.
South Australian Spotter

aviasian

Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:11 pm

I recalled the unhappy past between Singapore and Canada in the area of aviation. Canada was possibly the first and only country that Singapore has nullified an air services agreement with. In the early 1990s and in accordance with its bilateral air services agreement with Canada, SIA operated a flight from Toronto to Singapore via Vienna. AlthoughAir Canada at that time did not operate between Toronto and Vienna, it objected to SIA's service via Vienna and declined suggestion from SIA to code-share on this sector.

Air Canada meanwhile operated Toronto-LHR-Bombay (now Mumbai)-Singapore initially using a TriStar and subsequently with a B747-100.

Although loads on the serivces of both airlines were good, these services eventually fell victim to the cancellation of the air services agreement and the Singapore-Vancouver route was maintained under a separate MOU or similar sort of agreement with the backing of the city's administration and business community.

It is a pity that all that happened but now that an open skies agreement is in place, I hope that Air Canada will return to Singapore. We have in recent months been seeing Air Canada's A340-300s and A340-500s at Changi . . . as they take their turn at the SIA Engineering Company's hangars enroute to new owners.

Meanwhile, some new movements:

Air Bagan has suspended its daily Yangon-Singapore-Yangon services because of sanction imposed by the US on a number of individuals and government officials in Myanmar. As a result of these sanctions, a Singapore bank that was conducting business with Air Bagan's owners - U Tay Za - withdrew its services. In the final weeks of services, the daily schedule was reduced to one operating on alternate days using the F100. The final service on 4 November 2007 was operated using an A310 (XY-AGD).

Shenzhen Airlines has begun operating twice-weekly on the Nanning - Singapore route using a B737-800.

Thanks Kaitak, for starting up this thread. I must admit that some of us have surely considered starting such a thread but coming from such a tiny spot in this vast world, we probably think it more appropriate for bigger countries to have such a thread.

KC Sim
Singapore

col

Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:25 am

Was in SIN last week when the ex AC 345 did a test flight, never seen a 340 get up so quick!

This is an excellent idea as Changi and SQ are the leaders in service/quality.

I believe SQ has 19 x 744's left, sad to see the old girl going so quickly, just about flown on them all.

GneissGuy

Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:31 pm

For all you in Singapore, T3's public preview starts tomorrow!

Tickets are at $1 and $3 (guided tour into restricted area) and will go to charity. I can't wait!

http://www.changiairport.com/t3/openhouse/

ba319-131

Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Interesting thread so far.

Where there any spotters ay SIN on the morning of the 25th to see the A380?

I was on her, by chance did anyone note the reg of the RP 320 and IC AB3 & 320 that morning? - We taxied past but I could not get the reg details  Sad

Tx

Mark
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

Coal

Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Quoting C172pic (Reply 4):
Is it me, or do they show quite bit of leg?

Huh? It is you, as the sarong covers them all the way to the floor. However, if you get one of them to climb over your seat to close one of your shades, then that's a different story.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

col

Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:11 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 13):
Huh? It is you, as the sarong covers them all the way to the floor. However, if you get one of them to climb over your seat to close one of your shades, then that's a different story.

Cheers
Coal

The old sleeping shade ploy, doesn't have the same effect on DL!!!

ZK-NBT

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:48 am

Along with extra ADL flights, SQ will operate an additional weekly CHC service and 3 additional BNE services over the same period taking CHC to 8 weekly and BNE to 17.

c172pic

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:09 am

Yeah, that's what I meant, when they walk or have to reach over to close shades, NICE!

I'm luvin' it!

El DE
 Silly  bigthumbsup   blush   brokenheart   cloudnine   cheeky   goodvibes 

Ryanair!!!

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
Welcome on board, folks! This is just an experiment,

Thank you for taking on this experiment. After the success of the Malaysian Aviation Thread by 9MMAR (spawning so many sequels too!), this one was really long overdue.

For many, many years, since I first became interested in aviation, back in the early 1980s, I have been fascinated by the success and growth of SIA and Changi.

I officially became interested in aviation at the age of 8 in 1982, when I traced using pencil a picture of a Philippine Airlines 747-200 in class when I was supposed to be paying attention.

Quoting Coal (Reply 13):
Huh? It is you, as the sarong covers them all the way to the floor.

Actually Coal, the kebaya does split down the middle and it parts slightly to allow the girls to walk. Otherwise they would all be hopping around Terminal 2 as if participating in a gunny sack race to nowhere...
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 17):
I officially became interested in aviation at the age of 8 in 1982, when I traced using pencil a picture of a Philippine Airlines 747-200 in class when I was supposed to be paying attention.

I was working out airline timetables in some of my less interesting classes in the mid-1980s, many of which involved SQ flights to DUB. Something about that didn't quite work out ... d'oh!

GneissGuy

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:53 am

Hi all

I just returned from T3's open house, i must say i was amazed! It's so spacious, bright, and the glass-based design meant that you could see almost through everything. You could even see the apron from the arrival/departure halls at some points. The lush greenary was pleasing on the eyes and the shops that they've managed to attract are really some of the best known in the world. My only quibble was the viewing mall which had the shades that limited what you could see.

Was sitting at the mall and to my surprise i saw SQ's A380 touching down! (Of course the shades made it such that i only had a limited viewing angle of the runway. Anyway, popped over to T2 and there it was, 9V-SKA sitting at gate F31 right in front of the viewing mall (which unfortunately has frosted glass which was 80% clear).

It has been a good day!

Ryanair!!!

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:56 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 18):
I was working out airline timetables in some of my less interesting classes in the mid-1980s, many of which involved SQ flights to DUB. Something about that didn't quite work out ... d'oh!

In 1987, I actually formed my very own airline "Skyways International" with my very own flight time table rivalling SIA to more than 150 destinations around the world (without the need for code share!). The timetable was separated into several departure and arrival banks in the mornings, mid afternoon and evenings and all flights properly connected to arrive and depart for passenger's ease (6th freedom to the max).

Trans-Pacific flights all were routed via Narita while trans-Atlantic via Madrid (northern sectors) and Capetown (southern ones). In total, Skyways served more than 20 cities on the American continent from Canada and USA to Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela.

I even based Airbuses A300s in Beijing, Rio de Janeiro and Frankfurt for shuttles to secondary cities from there without any regard for cabotage! My fleet included:

747-300s, later including -400s for long hauls
Tristar L1101, later replaced with MD11s for low density long haul
Airbus A300 for routes around Asia
737-400s for Malaysia, Indonesia and Indochina sectors.

Skyways International went through a rebranding exercise in 1995 and was reborn as Asian Airways to give it a more Asian flair to reflect the roots of the airline. The fleet of MD11s were replaced with more fuel efficient 777-200s and a take over of Malaysia Airlines' under utilised fleet of 747-400s were in the works. But sadly, due to neglect, the airline died a quiet death and was never heard of again.

Oh how i miss those days of ideal optimism!

Cheers
Ryan

tsentsan

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:41 pm

Quoting GneissGuy (Reply 19):
My only quibble was the viewing mall which had the shades that limited what you could see.

Yes, a world class airport with a crap class viewing deck that has over 4300 flights weekly (inclyu. When they convert T1 viewing deck to the same style, it'll be really extremely crappy.
NO URLS in signature

SQ772

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:24 pm

The viewing gallery at T3 is the biggest disappointment. You can hardly call it a viewing gallery, since it doesn't actually look directly into the tarmac...but through 2 layers of glass - the viewing gallery's and the departure area's! The shades also obstruct the view so one has to bend/lower himself to catch a glimpse through them to get a narrow view of the tarmac. It was simply ridiculous.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 20):
In 1987, I actually formed my very own airline "Skyways International" with my very own flight time table rivalling SIA to more than 150 destinations around the world (without the need for code share!). The timetable was separated into several departure and arrival banks in the mornings, mid afternoon and evenings and all flights properly connected to arrive and depart for passenger's ease (6th freedom to the max).

You have such foresight Ryan.... the Scandinavians have since adopted your much neglected Skyways airlines and called it their own now. I believe many of us airline fanatics have some how or another toyed with the idea of starting our own airline and operating ridiculously odd routes at some point in our lives. Unlike you, I had less CEO caliber as you, and much less planning went into my airline. I recalled purchasing a Hasegawa model in my early teens. It was a Lufthansa DC-10 in its old livery - black nose cone and silver belly. As my parents never gave me any pocket money to
purchase silver paint, I created the first LH DC-10 with an all white fuselage (because I ruined the blue cheatline decals) and sans the black nose cone as I never found them aesthetically pleasing- something which LH later adopted throughout its fleet...heheh I decided then to make use of the extra decals available that was supposed to go onto the 'display stand'. Those decals were in Japanese katakana, and basically read "Deutsch", and the name on the fuselage became LUFTHANSA ドイツ. Hence, LH's Japanese subsidiary was born. Interestingly, years later, airlines such as BA, SR and KL started subsidiaries as well (albeit for political reasons)... BA Asia, KLM Asia, Swiss Asia!  Smile

As with Ryan's Skyways... my LUFTHANSA ドイツwas actually based in Tokyo, and had the tendency to operate long-haul routes with multiple stopovers! My most popular route was NRT-HKG-MNL-BKK-SIN (crew change) SIN-BOM-AUH-VIE-FRA. On all sectors, passengers were given a full meal comprising a maincourse (usually steak), salad, dessert and bread-roll. Inflight announcements, made by yours truly, were only in English.

LUFTHANSA ドイツ never operated for more than a year, as I quickly grew out of it.

Sorry if this has nothing to do with the SIngapore aviation.... but I just couldn't resist after reading Ryan's post.

[Edited 2007-11-12 09:25:50]

[Edited 2007-11-12 09:27:07]

[Edited 2007-11-12 09:33:18]
There's always a better way to fly...

DYK

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:09 pm

With Canada and Singapore signing a new bi-lat agreement. IS there any speculation what SQ will do to YVR?
AC,CP,PW,WD,ND,UA,AA,NW,CO,DL,WA,AS,QX,PR,SQ,AI,TG,MH,JL,9W,IC,UL,PG,BW,NZ,QF,DJ,BA,LH,KL,OA,OS,ME,RJ,HA,AQ

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:31 pm

Canada has not moved on its restrictions on intermediate points. Singapore Airlines cannot increase frequencies to Vancouver via Seoul by more than the current 3x weekly service.

Ryanair!!!

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:58 am

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 22):
Sorry if this has nothing to do with the SIngapore aviation.... but I just couldn't resist after reading Ryan's post.

I played out a crash scene of JL 123 using Hasegawa JAL 747-200 (rego JA8125)... using Star Wars action figures. Princess Leia played the role of Yumi Ochiai, an off-duty FA who survived. Chewbaca and Han Solo were stewards (who persihed). An Ewok was Keiko Kawakami, a 12 year old girl who also survived. I am sure Luke Skywalker and his dad were also among the passengers...

Ok I better stop now. Back to Spore aviation.

I had close to 20 of those Hasegawa models and I would play out an airport scene according to my Skyways timetable. A JAL 747-300, Cathay L1101, SAS DC10, Aloha 737-200... doubled as play pretend Skyways aircraft jetting off to far flung exotic cities from the runway that was MY BED! I would be paging for missing passengers, making departure and arrival announcements according to my timetable printed out (from an excel spreadsheet, no less!)... and also inflight announcements.

Wait a minute... I thought I wanted to say something about Spore aviation??

Ok ok... SQ's A380 is awesome...

SQ772

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:46 am

Yay for SQ's A380 and Changi T3!...

I started recycling early... Styrofoam boxes previously used as packing material for old transister radios became my terminal building... I rolled up pieces of paper and stuck them to the terminal/styrofoam buildings and these became my aerobridges. My control tower was made up of a used toilet roll (the cardboard portion), and placed on top of it was my rubic cube... very colorful control towers they had in the 80s...

Anyone went for the T3 preview yet?

LAXDESI

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:12 am

Best wishes on this thread.

Why doesn't SQ offer better connectivity(reduced transit time) for India-SIN-USA flights in both directions?

GneissGuy

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting DYK (Reply 23):
The viewing gallery at T3 is the biggest disappointment. You can hardly call it a viewing gallery, since it doesn't actually look directly into the tarmac...but through 2 layers of glass - the viewing gallery's and the departure area's! The shades also obstruct the view so one has to bend/lower himself to catch a glimpse through them to get a narrow view of the tarmac. It was simply ridiculous.

You know, i've always suspected that they did this on purpose. If you remember the old T1 and T2's massive and long viewing malls with unobstructed views, it attracted a lot of students and other people to stay at the viewing mall for prolonged periods of time, often overnight and as a result creating noise, rubbish and probably lowering the "image" of the airport if there is such a thing. There were also a couple of newspaper reports about complaints against these students who spent so much time at the viewing malls, camping out, sleeping on the floors, eating, drinking, playing games etc. Since then, the malls have remained by a lot of the space has been used for other purposes, offices, eateries etc. Remember the swensen's at T1? Well, the whole area where you could get a clear view of the runway is now no longer publicly accessible. Only area left for viewing in T1 is the apron area at the E and F gates.

As for T2, they renovated the place and whilst the passengers in the departure lounge had a clear, unobstructed view of the tarmac, those in the landside viewing mall had to make do with the shaded and double layers of glass. I was saddened by probably not surprised that T3's viewing mall was similar in concept.

Have always suspected that they did this so that people would not linger too long at the viewing malls (since there was now much less to see). Of course i'm sure they wouldn't admit it, and they will probably cite things like security concerns and other infrastructural and architectural reasons, but i've always thought of this as a mini "conspiracy".

Oh well, that's about the only downside of Changi in my humble opinion. Maybe someon should write something in to the press to make a statement about this. Imagine one of the world's best and busiest airport with lots of activity on the runways and tarmac but no place to catch all the action! How sad is that!

threepoint

Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:23 am

Quoting Aussiestu (Reply 6):
Or does SIA gain more passengers when it flies through a European city?

I believe the intent of airlines such as SQ is to capitalize on the market between say YYZ and the intermediate point, as the market between any city in Canada and SIN itself is small. It is this strategy that captures the attention of the Canadian regulators, who must consider the Canadian airlines' interests when granting licenses to foreign carriers.

Quoting Aviasian (Reply 9):
now that an open skies agreement is in place, I hope that Air Canada will return to Singapore.

That would be nice, but in an age where AC has too few airplanes to meet current demand, I'd bet they'll continue to fly their customers to existing destinations in Korea, China and Japan and forward any SIN passengers on their Star partners' planes.

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 24):
Singapore Airlines cannot increase frequencies to Vancouver via Seoul by more than the current 3x weekly service.

An unfortunate response to SQ 'poaching' the high-yield passengers between YVR & ICN. Without those pax, I doubt we'd see any SQ interest in YVR at all. This will be interesting to watch how it plays out in years to come. It seems Canada is the only country that is resisting SQ and EK establishing unfettered access to Canada's top markets.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

Nimish

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:02 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 27):
Why doesn't SQ offer better connectivity(reduced transit time) for India-SIN-USA flights in both directions?

The connectivity is not too bad on the eastbound side (India-SIN-USA) with a 2-3 hour layover in SIN. It's the return that sucks with a minimum 8 hour layover and no STPC on offer. Still the service on SQ is so much better that people flock to that route!

I think with increased one-stop and non-stop competition from the likes of IT, AI and 9W, SQ's going to need to rejig their schedules slightly to provide better connectivity on the west bound US-SIN-India sectors). Even thew newly launched morning SIN-BLR flights don't help - there's still a 6 or 7 hour layover in SIN.

On a separate note, does anyone have any idea on how Tiger Airway's is doing on their newly launched India routes? Jetstar pulled out of SIN-BLR after 6-8 months, and the news on the wire is that Nok Air has also just pulled out out BKK-BLR after a similar duration! Hence I'm wondering whether Tiger sees better loads/yields on it's routes to India.
Incredible India!

sq452

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:06 am

Quoting GneissGuy (Reply 11):
For all you in Singapore, T3's public preview starts tomorrow!

Tickets are at $1 and $3 (guided tour into restricted area) and will go to charity. I can't wait!

http://www.changiairport.com/t3/open...ouse/

There is ne advantage of getting up for work and being in at 7:00 AM...and that is getting out earlier meaning I can make it to the T3 open house on a weekday! (Less crowded).

I am so there tomorrow...look for pics soon.
SIN > CVG > BOS

sq452

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 20):

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 17):

I used to sit in class as well doodling airline route maps. If I got bored, I started to list every airport in the world I have been to.

When I had Flight Simulator in 2000 (with those lovely geometrically challenged aircraft haha!), I actually got a bunch of add on aircraft and started my "own" airline out of JFK. I was using American Airlines DC-10's so I guess I really came up with an American virtual airlines...funny thing is, I was doing routes like JFK to Pisa, Nice and routes that DL is now operating and opening up in real life (oh the forsight into the future I had! haha).

Quoting DYK (Reply 23):
With Canada and Singapore signing a new bi-lat agreement. IS there any speculation what SQ will do to YVR?

Local papers and reports said not much is going to happen to YVR as while they have the bilateral with Canada, the problem lies with the heavy slot restrictions at ICN where the YVR flight stopsover at. Net, until something were to open up at ICN, YVR will remain on the same frequency that it is on.

I also read that there is not enough demand (or SQ metal for that matter) to support a non-stop flight to YVR. YYZ I actually think might have a shot at opening up someday...yes, SQ would have to get more A340-500's if they wanted to fly it non-stop but it's really not on the agenda for them at this point. Hence, you really won't see much happening because of the new bilateral...I think the bilateral with the UK was far greater in terms of significance to SQ than the Canadian one...look for 5th freedoms to the US from the UK soon IMHO...tack on BOS to Manchester!!! Big grin (one can dream)
SIN > CVG > BOS

aviasian

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:43 pm

SIA has announced at the World Travel Mart today that after the second A380 is delivered in early January 2008, it will be deployed on flight SQ317 departing LHR just past midday to Singapore.

There are plans for a second LHR-SIN flight to also operate the A380 . . . and interestingly, the SIA representative mentioned an A380 destination that was never previously named - Melbourne. Remains to be seen.

KC Sim

je89_w

Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting GneissGuy (Reply 19):
My only quibble was the viewing mall which had the shades that limited what you could see.

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 22):
The viewing gallery at T3 is the biggest disappointment.

Ai yah! I was hoping for a great viewing mall at T3, since it had a good view of 20R/02L (resembling the old Swensons viewing area at T1).

Quoting GneissGuy (Reply 28):
There were also a couple of newspaper reports about complaints against these students who spent so much time at the viewing malls

There was actually a sign at the old Swensons T1 viewing lounge that said "No Studying", along with other rules. Found that pretty amusing.

Quoting Tsentsan (Reply 21):
When they convert T1 viewing deck to the same style, it'll be really extremely crappy.

Really? Oh boy, that's another great spot down the tubes. When are they planning on redoing that area?

Quoting GneissGuy (Reply 28):
Oh well, that's about the only downside of Changi in my humble opinion. Maybe someon should write something in to the press to make a statement about this. Imagine one of the world's best and busiest airport with lots of activity on the runways and tarmac but no place to catch all the action! How sad is that!

checkmark  Over the years, the number of spots at SIN have slowly dwindled away.  Sad

Ex_SQer

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:41 am

Been told that SQ's SIN-MXP-BCN flight is going daily early next year.

Ryanair!!!

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:02 am

Quoting Aussiestu (Reply 6):
With Open Skies to Canada and the possibility of operating to YYZ is it not quicker to fly YYZ nonstop from SIN rather than through a European city?

First of all, there are only 5 A345s in SQ's fleet now which are solely dedicated to LAX & EWR nonstops. Therefore there isn't any extra planes to start a SIN-YYZ. Secondly, I doubt Air Canada / Canadian govt would allow that to happen as evident by their restrictions of SQ's and EK's ops at YVR and YYZ respectively. So I really wonder where this "air agreement" would lead to?

Quoting Je89_w (Reply 34):
Over the years, the number of spots at SIN have slowly dwindled away.

You can say that again. After we lost the Swensen's gallery, we now have no more runway action. Now the best one is really at T1 as there is no interruption between you and the action outside other that one layer of glass window. Soon that will be gone too as it is slated to be contructed ala T2 & T3. So enjoy it while you still can!

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting Ex_SQer (Reply 35):
Been told that SQ's SIN-MXP-BCN flight is going daily early next year.

Interesting move; I'd have thought that if this route were successful (and I'm very glad it is) the next move would be to split them and have a separate flight to BCN, maybe with 772ERs. That said, I like the idea of SQ flying one-stop flights; last year, after the Singapore-Ireland bilateral was signed, SQ said that it would be very interested in serving Ireland, BUT the main runway at DUB (at 8,650') is too short. If SQ were willing to do one-stops, they could fly via anywhere else they wanted. I don't know if/when the runway will be extended, but once it is, it would also be possible for SQ to fly to either the US or Canada via DUB (since we now have O/S with the US and Canada too; SQ could, for example, fly DUB-SIN-YYZ, if it so wished).

I see Jetstar has ordered a good number of A320 and 321s; it will be interesting to see how many of these will be based in SIN; I know that some will be based in Vietnam for the Pacific Airlines operation, but I'm sure some are marked for Singapore. Any rumours of new routes they might be looking at?

ag92

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:01 am

Good thread guys
Have you heard the rumor that SQ will change the 345 into an all business class flight with the new JCL
If so then it will be a sorry end to teh Y+

Regards
Ag92

dstc47

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:10 pm

Great new thread.

SQ and Changi are both world class representatives of Singapore.
Now what you need, given the great aviation history of this region, is to build a comparable collection of historic aircraft in Singapore, both civil and military, to give us one more reason to visit. You have the interest, the money and the capacity to have a first rate aviation museum in Singapore.

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting Dstc47 (Reply 39):
You have the interest, the money and the capacity to have a first rate aviation museum in Singapore.

There is quite a good military aviation museum a few miles from Changi; unfortunately, they don't allow photos, but it is certainly worth a visit.

9vswa

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:58 pm

Hi guys, I went down to T3 today. I must say the terminal looks impressive, it's got a brighter, more airy atmosphere compared to T1 and T2. Having said that, it's not exactly 'spectacular'. I don't see much real difference between T2 and T3, aesthetics aside. There's still a lot of renovation going on inside the transit area. I'm going to reserve final judgement on T3 till it's operational. Overall first impression is pretty good though. Anyway, some pics for you guys to take a look at (pics resized):

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joelsim/Terminal%203/DSC_3394.jpg
Departure level
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joelsim/Terminal%203/DSC_3404.jpg
Passage to the B gates
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joelsim/Terminal%203/DSC_3408.jpg
combined holding room for gates B1-B4. This is change from T1 and T2, where each gate has it's own holding room
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joelsim/Terminal%203/DSC_3418.jpg
Path to A gates. I'd hate to have my flight departing from A21, it seems to pretty far away
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joelsim/Terminal%203/DSC_3429.jpg
Immigration
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joelsim/Terminal%203/DSC_3457.jpg
Baggage carousels
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joelsim/Terminal%203/DSC_3460.jpg
Overall view
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/joelsim/Terminal%203/DSC_3466.jpg
The 'viewing mall'i. Less said about the shades the better.

Door5Right

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:24 pm

Anyone know if this terminal has Koi carp ponds like the nice restful ones in Terminal 2?

Is there an outdoor area airside like there is at Terminals One and Two?

[Edited 2007-11-14 06:26:39]
My soul is in the sky...

SQ772

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting Door5right (Reply 42):
Anyone know if this terminal has Koi carp ponds like the nice restful ones in Terminal 2?

Yes, to both questions.

GneissGuy

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting SQ772 (Reply 43):
Quoting Door5right (Reply 42):

Yes, to both questions.

There's 2 Koi ponds with mini bridges over them where you can walk, and also an outdoor butterfly garden

Door5Right

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:42 pm

Yes, to both questions.

Thank you Mr SQ772. It has been a while since you posted a Trip Report with your usual excellent pictures. Will be seeing one soon - I am sure you have been around having some adventure on business...
My soul is in the sky...

col

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:52 pm

Quoting Ag92 (Reply 38):
Good thread guys
Have you heard the rumor that SQ will change the 345 into an all business class flight with the new JCL
If so then it will be a sorry end to teh Y+

Going to happen, but I am not sure timeframe has been given yet.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos