Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jasp25
Topic Author

Obama's Plane Landed At Wrong Airport

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:43 pm

This is hilarious!

Quote:

Someone stepped onto the tarmac and quickly realized why: They had landed at the wrong airport.

Instead of going to Cedar Rapids, the plane had touched down about 100 miles to the west in Des Moines.

Spokesman Tommy Vietor said Wednesday that the mistake on the flight from Chicago made Obama about an hour late for a rally at a community college. While waiting, the crowd took to dancing and chanting.

source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071107/...;_ylt=AvaFfn4I.8uUReMhHv_DIiShOrgF

-jasp
-peace and chicken grease!

mpdpilot

RE: Obama's Plane Landed At Wrong Airport

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:54 pm

That is just funny. How do you do that though? Wouldn't they be on an IFR flight plan? I don't know how that happened but funny none the less.
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

cirrusdriver

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:56 pm

Ha! Someone needs to either upgrade to a GPS or atleast test the VORs every 30 days, or polish up on dead reckoning!

Airstud

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:58 pm

Wasn't there once a NW flight that meant to land in Munich but did so in Brussels instead? Or was it the other way round?

Or, was it an urban legend...
Pancakes are delicious.

KFLLCFII

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:02 pm

Quoting MPDPilot (Reply 1):
Wouldn't they be on an IFR flight plan?

Unless they filed to the wrong airport, and no one from the campaign staff caught the error...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

jasp25
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:05 pm

Can you imagine if that was Airforce 1? LOL.
Somebody will probably say "This ain't right dawg!"

ikramerica

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:10 pm

Quoting Jasp25 (Thread starter):
While waiting, the crowd took to dancing and chanting.

That's the funniest part.  Wink
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

airfoilsguy

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:25 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 6):
Quoting Jasp25 (Thread starter):
While waiting, the crowd took to dancing and chanting.

That's the funniest part.

Thats what I thought, sounds like cult activity.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

leamside

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Hey Jasp, . . . While Obama's plane did not overshoot the runway (  Wink ) it surely missed by a long shot eh? ! LOL

jasp25
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:50 pm

Quoting Leamside (Reply 8):
Hey Jasp, . . . While Obama's plane did not overshoot the runway ( ) it surely missed by a long shot eh? !

Yeah that is true. By the way, off topic here, where are they fixing that RP-C3224?

-Jasp

Doona

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:55 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 4):
Unless they filed to the wrong airport, and no one from the campaign staff caught the error...

Perhaps Des Moines was a previously scheduled campaign stop, and someone forgot to tell the pilots when it was changed?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Super80DFW

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:15 am

If Obama can't hire good pilots to fly his planes, then should you trust him to hire good people to help him run this great country IF he gets elected? What plane was he on?

nudelhirsch

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:20 am

Maybe the pilots are on Hillary's payroll...

Just kidding...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

N908AW

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting Super80DFW (Reply 11):
If Obama can't hire good pilots to fly his planes, then should you trust him to hire good people to help him run this great country IF he gets elected? What plane was he on?

That has pretty much nothing to do with it. If anything, be happy that hi
This is pretty funny though.

Is this it?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FIV503
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

scrumpy492003

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting reply 11,
"If Obama can't hire good pilots to fly his planes, then should you trust him to hire good people to help him run this great country IF he gets elected? What plane was he on?"

Could be any number of miscommunication errors for that particular flight,
Maybe the Pilots stopped for gas, more pretzels or a bathroom stop and it was Obama's election crew that figured that they were at the destination already, and the wrong one at that!!

BUT

IF elected, he will be on Airforce ONE, and those Pilots are already hired - come with the job!!
The flight plans and itineraries are made up by people who tell the President where he will be going, so even IF Obama thinks that he is in the wrong place, he will have to quickly learn to "wing it"!!!

I'm sure it could have been a good photo Op anyway.

Peter
peter b95 c-ghfu

kstatepilot

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting N908AW (Reply 13):
Is this it?

Probably not, look at the times and dates for the flights.

georgebush

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:54 am

Think of the tower guys... Leaving already??
Al Gore invented global warming.

Norcal773

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:57 am

I have a list of airliners landing at the wrong airport and it's a long list. I'll try to find it and post it. The funniest one was an AI 747 landing at a very small airport and they had to strip the thing down for the beast to takeoff with the runway available.
If you're going through hell, keep going

j_hallgren

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting Norcal773 (Reply 17):
I have a list of airliners landing at the wrong airport and it's a long list.

The one I still remember well was a DL flight that landed at MacDill AFB instead of TPA, a few hours before I was flying back there myself on DL, and asking agent when I checked in "Do you know the way to TIA?"....
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

Boston92

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 3):
Wasn't there once a NW flight that meant to land in Munich but did so in Brussels instead? Or was it the other way round?

Or, was it an urban legend...

A while back, there was a NW plane that landed at the wrong airport (somewhere in South or North Dakota). It had landed at an AFB, and Jay Leno had a joke for this for about 5 days straight (This had happened right during the time when the NW pilots wanted a raise).

scrumpy492003

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:57 am

Somebody did it in Ireland a few years ago with a 737 also, 2 airports a very short distance apart, the "wrong" airport was VERY upset as I recall,

S**t happens!!

IF we were all perfect, we'd all be flying Obama around, and on Hillary's payroll!!

BUT

IF on Hillary's payroll, it would have been a much bigger aircraft, going Waaaaayyy East across the pond!!

Peter
peter b95 c-ghfu

SkyexRamper

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:52 am

If Obama can't hire a person that knows where the heck they are going, how can he find a suitable Vice President?
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

jmc1975

Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:19 am

Gosh, did Obama hijack his own plane? Big grin

LAXspotter

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 7):
sounds like cult activity.

he has a cult following  Big grin

If Obama can't hire good pilots to fly his planes

I'm guessing he did Netjets, not his own private aircraft
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

graphic

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:09 am

A NW flight did that a few years back (Can't remember if they were going to Minot, ND or Rapid City, SD) where there is an Air Force Base in the near vicinity of the civilian airport with a similar runway configuration. I want to say it was Minot, where MOT is just about ten miles south of MIB and the main runway at both airports is just about the same size and in the same direction...of course with all the B-52's sitting out on the ramp eventually you'd think they'd get the idea.
Demand Media fails at life

AlexPorter

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting Graphic (Reply 24):
Rapid City, SD

It was Rapid City, about 98% sure (i.e. I'm relying on Wikipedia: "In 2004, pilots mistakenly landed at Ellsworth AFB instead of the nearby Rapid City airport. Passengers aboard were asked to close their window shades by US Air Force security personnel, who arrived at the aircraft more than 30 minutes after it landed." From the Northwest Airlines article). So I can't be 100% sure due to the source, but it's most probably correct here...
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

Baron52ta

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Landing at the wrong airport seems to be getting more common which is odd since commercial flights are on IFR until they can establish visual with the airport. I think it was last year a Ryan 738 bound for Derry landed at Ballykelly Ireland and he was IFR too. Got to laugh though...............

ZakHH

Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:38 pm

Reminds me of the Spantax incident in Hamburg, in 1967. It was a demonstration flight for journalists and travel agents, going from Palma de Mallorca to Hamburg. To underline the reliability of his airline (which was indeed very questionable), the airline's general director piloted the Coronado himself.

However, upon approaching Hamburg, he confused HAM and XFW (which belongs to the Airbus works nowadays), and thus landed at the wrong airport. As the runway was far too short there, they narrowly escaped a disaster.

After the landing, they had to remove passengers, cargo and fuel, so that the empty Coronado could take off again and fly to HAM. The passengers were transferred by bus.

It was an early milestone on Spantax' doubtful reputation, which was supported by some far more tragic incidents later on.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:39 pm

Most likely, someone on the campaign staff forgot to tell the pilots of a change in sheduled. I'll bet that the pilots went to and landed at the airport they intended to.

If you think airplanes landing on the wrong airport happens too often... you ought to see what happens in the trucking industry. Misdirected trucks are most noticed when they are carrying time sensitive shipping items to places that have crews waiting for the stuff.

My best memory of things I have personally experienced was having a round the clock crew waiting for a power plant turbine rotor (similar to a jet engine turbine rotor) only to find that the Turbine Mfr sent the dedicated truck to Lansing Michigan instead of Lansing Iowa... Of course, FedEx and UPS occasionally misdirects an overnight package too... Our explosive tube plugs got misdirected to I believe California instead of central Illinois once with plant down at $1/2 Million per day, and crew waiting. This turned into a multi-day issue to resolve because of other cargo conflicts in getting them back from California. For those wondering - yes you can ship very small explosive devices if properly packaged overnight assuming there is not flammable liquids onboard (if I recall correctly).

helvknight

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:17 pm

I found this list (not exhaustive)

http://www.thirdamendment.com/wrongway.html

Surprising how often it's happened.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

yowza

Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:51 pm

Didn't a UA flight do this into Denver a couple years ago?

YOWza

Falcon Flyer

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:15 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 10):
Perhaps Des Moines was a previously scheduled campaign stop, and someone forgot to tell the pilots when it was changed?

That is very possible. Campaign swings change very often, mostly at the last minute. Flying corporate, unscheduled business meetings can change at a moments notice also, that's why flight crews and schedulers are always double checking itineraries.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

elmothehobo

Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:35 pm

Quoting Graphic (Reply 24):
A NW flight did that a few years back (Can't remember if they were going to Minot, ND or Rapid City, SD) where there is an Air Force Base in the near vicinity of the civilian airport with a similar runway configuration. I want to say it was Minot, where MOT is just about ten miles south of MIB and the main runway at both airports is just about the same size and in the same direction...of course with all the B-52's sitting out on the ramp eventually you'd think they'd get the idea.

B-1Bs actually, but right idea, wrong base.

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 25):

It was Rapid City, about 98% sure (i.e. I'm relying on Wikipedia: "In 2004, pilots mistakenly landed at Ellsworth AFB instead of the nearby Rapid City airport. Passengers aboard were asked to close their window shades by US Air Force security personnel, who arrived at the aircraft more than 30 minutes after it landed." From the Northwest Airlines article). So I can't be 100% sure due to the source, but it's most probably correct here...

checkmark 

BE77

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:21 pm

A couple years ago an AC flight (an A319 or 320 I think) was on short final at Vernon C YVK instead of Kelowna (maybe 20 miles away with a different runway orientation. Some guy doing circuits in a 150 had far too interesting a day making sure he was out of the way.
The AC pilots figured it out before landing, or it would have been real interesting on 3500 feet.
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

threepoint

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:42 pm

Quoting BE77 (Reply 34):
an AC flight (an A319 or 320 I think)

An A319.

Quoting BE77 (Reply 34):
a different runway orientation

By 70 degrees (intended 16 in Kelowna, actual 23 in Vernon)

Quoting BE77 (Reply 34):
Some guy doing circuits in a 150 had far too interesting a day making sure he was out of the way.

A student pilot and instructor in a C-152 were on final for the opposing runway 05 (head-on). It wasn't a big deal, they broadcast (of course no one was listening) and turned away long before a conflict.

Quoting BE77 (Reply 34):
The AC pilots figured it out before landing

The FO did. Barely. There's an interesting read on this here: http://www.bst.gc.ca/en/reports/air/2003/A03P0259/A03P0259.pdf which explains all the factors involved in the incident. AC now has a specific inclusion in their crew manual relating solely to the CYLW approach.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

graphic

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:57 pm

Quoting Elmothehobo (Reply 33):
B-1Bs actually, but right idea, wrong base.

I was referring to Minot, where it's all B-52s.
Demand Media fails at life

mycrj17

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:36 pm

Obama travels on a ugly G2, and the tail number is 747NB with a call sign of Tyson (plus a number).. When he comes back to Chicago he will fly into MDW, and parks it at Atlantic. So if you are around MDW and are on 63rd street look right behind the Firehouse and you might see it...

Matt
GO CUBS GO!!!!!

Indio66

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:47 pm

Take it easy on Obama, he was flying on Northwest!

Big grin

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos