Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SANFan

RE: Southwest Unveils New Flights

Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:46 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 49):
It's also tough for me to imagine that this present expansion DEN-SAN by both Southwest and Frontier - with over 800 seats a day coming on to the route - is driven entirely by DEN O&D.

Let's also remember that essentially the same thing is happening with the SEA-DEN market; WN just started flying last weekend 4x daily and F9 is increasing that market by one flight in January. Last June, WN started DEN-OAK, their first west coast-DEN service, and a route that F9 does not (currently) serve.

I agree Mariner. I think WN is definitely making a move at turning DEN into a, no, I won't call it a hub, a connecting city; earlier on, I'm not sure if that was their intention but with the addition of the 3 west coast routes, plus SLC and LAS, they now have a very well balanced (east, west, and south) route structure out of DEN. Connections are a natural.

As I've said in the past, it is often mentioned how the Denver travellers/FF prefer F9 or UA. But what about the huge WN customer bases in LAS, OAK, and SAN, for example, who want to fly to Denver and back -- now they can fly their airline; I don't think this can be ignored when discussing DEN travel.

Judging by WN's past and present growth at Denver, it looks to me like gate availability is the only thing that will eventually slow them down... (It also appears that may be a factor sooner rather than later.)

bb

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos