Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

caribbean484

RE: Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part Xxiii

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 49):
Those are just two experiences I have had over the years but there are many more I have experienced and seen. And I can tell you we folks do act differently when it comes to BW and BA and The charters. With BW we want to tear down the house but with BA AA the Charters etc we quiet like mice and have that yes sir attitude.

That is what I am talking about, thank you Beeweel15. When it comes to LI, JM and BW we ready to get on like crazy, now when its the charters, AA we never get on like that.
A few weeks ago, on AA flight to POS was delayed because of overlapped flight crew time, so pax had to wait 8hrs to get another flight into POS. Not one person complained, it was never published in the POS newspapers.
Now lets say it was Caribbean Airlines that did this, they want to picket the airline's office and get on like mad.
We have to be consistant in this region and stop taking this second class treatment from everyone, not just our regional airlines.
All ah we is one family

A388

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 49):
KL771 DC10 from AMS-POS-CUR.

Are you sure you flew this route? KL never operated AMS-CUR via POS.

A388

beeweel15

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 51):
Are you sure you flew this route? KL never operated AMS-CUR via POS.

A388

A388,

Yes they did and I flew it twice actually. Remember I have flown back in the days of the B707 and British Airways was called BOAC and BW was an all 707 Fleet so I have been around and they flew to LGW doing charters before they got clearance to fly to LHR. The flight flew from AMS-POS-CUR/AUA then on to Central America cant remember the final destination though with a DC10-30. Did you know that SAS use to fly to POS and GEO.

OA260

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:35 am

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 52):
Did you know that SAS use to fly to POS and GEO.

Really??? I didnt know that ! What A/C did they use and what year did it run from ??? Would have been a cool route to fly.

beeweel15

Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:23 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 53):

Really??? I didnt know that ! What A/C did they use and what year did it run from ??? Would have been a cool route to fly.

They used a DC8-63 aircraft in the 70's

A388

Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:03 pm

The flight flew from AMS-POS-CUR/AUA then on to Central America cant remember the final destination though with a DC10-30

I still have a hard time believing this. Apparently that route was flown in the '70s and even so the flight must not have lasted for that long. I know KL flew to JFK from CUR with their 747s and DC-8 in the '70s but KL and POS just doesn't come to mind.

A388

BW985

Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:22 pm

SAS used to fly STO-CPH-FRA-ZRH-POS with a DC-8 in the late seventies and KLM used to do AMS-LIS-POS-CUR-PTY in the early seventies.
I remember those routes from my early childhood. I used to be planecrazy even then... ;O)

A388

Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting BW985 (Reply 56):
SAS used to fly STO-CPH-FRA-ZRH-POS with a DC-8 in the late seventies and KLM used to do AMS-LIS-POS-CUR-PTY in the early seventies.

Ow I see, those flights were from the early '70s, I thaught from the late '70s-early '80s. Those flights must not have lasted long, not even a year I think.

A388

westindian425

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:05 am

Ah yes, the days of Eastern and PanAm too! L-1011's were ruling the skies back then.  Smile
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

beeweel15

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 58):
Ah yes, the days of Eastern and PanAm too! L-1011's were ruling the skies back then. Smile

Yes I remember those days.

Pan Am was my first memorable trip I remember. I was about 3 - 4 and I was travelling with my mom and dad First Class to NYC and I remember playing with the hangars as planes in the first class cabin and had them lined up for take off on the cabin floor. I remember when PA brought the 747 into nearly the whole country showed up to see it come in like wise with the BA Concorde many years later.

Eastern was another memorable airline for me. I remember being at BGI one day watching planes , I was there for my summer school for CXC/GCE classes, I saw and Eastern L1011 N317EA come in from POS enroute to MIA. Three weeks later after visiting the Boeing factory I traveled on the same plane from SEA to MIA to meet my mom before returning home to Trinidad.

Quoting A388 (Reply 57):
Ow I see, those flights were from the early '70s, I thaught from the late '70s-early '80s. Those flights must not have lasted long, not even a year I think.

A388

Those flights did operate for a few years I know KLM lasted longer than SAS. My last trip on KL was in 1983 from AMS to POS. Remember A388 some of us here have a decade or two head start over you in experience and were just as plane crazy back in the days of the 707's and DC8's.

hummingbird

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:50 am

Nothing was more memorable than BW Boeing 707 that took Queen Elizabeth home. That was when I developed an interest in aeroplanes.

[Edited 2007-11-17 21:59:04]
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

A388

Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:32 pm

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 59):
Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 58):
Ah yes, the days of Eastern and PanAm too! L-1011's were ruling the skies back then. Smile

Yes I remember those days.

Pan Am was my first memorable trip I remember. I was about 3 - 4 and I was travelling with my mom and dad First Class to NYC and I remember playing with the hangars as planes in the first class cabin and had them lined up for take off on the cabin floor. I remember when PA brought the 747 into nearly the whole country showed up to see it come in like wise with the BA Concorde many years later.

Eastern was another memorable airline for me. I remember being at BGI one day watching planes , I was there for my summer school for CXC/GCE classes, I saw and Eastern L1011 N317EA come in from POS enroute to MIA. Three weeks later after visiting the Boeing factory I traveled on the same plane from SEA to MIA to meet my mom before returning home to Trinidad.

I join you guys, those days are missed. The days of Eastern Airlines, Western Airlines, PSA, Viasa and the likes. I flew Eastern Airlines to Salt Lake City and San Francisco routing via Atlanta and Denver. Once in San Francisco I very happy to see all the airlines flying to San Francisco back than such as PSA with the famous smilies on the aircraft noses, Hawaiian L-1011s were very nice as they had the same livery as my national airline (ALM) only in a different color. Viasa flew to Curacao using a variety of aircraft such DC10, A300, 727 and MD80s. Avensa was very nice to see in JFK with their 733 and 757 overnight in JFK. I saw those aircraft when I went back to Curacao from JFK on ALM which also stayed over in JFK to return the next morning with the MD80.

Those times are missed for sure!

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 59):
Quoting A388 (Reply 57):

Yes you are right. I stand corrected  

A388

[Edited 2007-11-18 05:34:27]

A388

Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:36 pm

Something is not right with the forum, but you are right Beewee15. Somehow my reply is joined with your reply. I stand corrected  Smile

A388

akizidy214

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:00 pm

Does JM still have the rights for HAV-LGW/LHR?
DCA

md90fan

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:59 pm

Eastern to be reborn?

Havn't been posting much as of late, but I have been following here and there.

• AA's new flights to the Caribbean ex.JFK are starting soon (St. Lucia is getting Double miles)
  • B6 will add MCO-SDQ
  • DL's new BON flight starts 2/08
  • NK's FLL-AUA flight started November 10
  • I also read about a Aerosvit charter flight between Kyiv and the D.R
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

speedbird2263

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:05 pm

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 11):
Well I can tell you that back in the 80's-early 90's HA did the LAX/MBJ using a L10-11 under a codeshare agreement with JM which was very successful and had huge loads. Those flights if memory ain't too dusty operated Fri,Sat, Sun and occasionally one mid week (not too certain).

Well I'll be  silly  You really do learn something new everyday as I had no knowledge that any such relationship once existed.
Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

wadadli

Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:50 pm

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 2):
How is the rennovation project at ANU coming along?

There was a major overhaul ongoing, most of which was completed in time for CWC 2007. The airport is now allot nicer than it was with big improvements : expanded arrival area with increased # immigration booths & baggage carousals and an addition 500 seat departure lounge, new AC system (was badly needed), increased security screening machines, an additional road for collecting and dropping off passengers and some improvements to check in areas. The improvements were good but unfortunately only brought the airport into the current century! It is still therefore by no means a next generation airport like the new SXM airport or POS. However a new terminal will be buillt which should break ground very early in 2008 so perhaps somtime in 2009 or 2010, we should have a world class new terminal along with an expanded runway and taxiways which they claim the A380 will be able to utilize.

On another note, a few developments since my last post

US will be back from PHL to compliment the CLT flight eff. Feb 16th 2008

Its official, the government announced today that agreements have been signed with DL & AA.

DL will begin 2X weekly service from JFK complementing the ATL flights effective Jun 27th 2008.
AA will begin daily non-stop flights from MIA effective Nov 19th 2008 complementing the jet and eagle flights from SJU

On the Eastern Airways topic, it would be great to see them make a come back. However, I would not fool myself to think they would come back with the type of service they had back then. They had great service and always allot of meals in economy. I always thought in my head that all those extras like wine in economy was not sustainable with the low fares they offered. The industry is just so different now (almost no service and airlines like AC charging for a pillow haha.)

bw415

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:07 pm

Quoting Wadadli (Reply 66):
AA will begin daily non-stop flights from MIA effective Nov 19th 2008 complementing the jet and eagle flights from SJU

2008?!. Thats a good way off.. any idea as to which aircraft will service the route??.. 757 or 738?.. I would safely imagine that it would be the 738 as its a new route. More info please  Smile

bw415
Caribbean Airlines the warmth of the islands

wadadli

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:33 pm

Quoting Bw415 (Reply 67):
2008?!. Thats a good way off.. any idea as to which aircraft will service the route??.. 757 or 738?.. I would safely imagine that it would be the 738 as its a new route. More info please

Indeed its a bit of a way off but it almost the end of the 2007. At this point, you would rarely find major airlines adding new routes to the current winter schedule since schedules are for the most part prepared 6 months and more ahead of time so i gave up on the MIA flight starting this winter. Im just glad that the deal is sealed even though we have to wait almost a year for it. I would bet on it being a 738 cuz it would be hard (IMHO) to sustain a daily 757 out of MIA bearing in mind that they already have a daily 757 out of SJU.

DL from JFK in June will be a 738.

MAH4546

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting Wadadli (Reply 68):
I would bet on it being a 738 cuz it would be hard (IMHO) to sustain a daily 757 out of MIA bearing in mind that they already have a daily 757 out of SJU.

It will be a daily 738 that, as of now, will replace, not compliment, the 757 to SJU.
a.

bw415

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Hey folks.. 9Y-BGI is back.. comically nothing was painted on the nose of the aircraft.. maybe they havent come up with anything to go along with Barbados. Guess they will handle that decal at somepoint in Trinidad when they figure their stories out.

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho..._search.php?id=01204410&size=large

bw415

westindian425

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting Wadadli (Reply 66):
On the Eastern Airways topic, it would be great to see them make a come back. However, I would not fool myself to think they would come back with the type of service they had back then. They had great service and always allot of meals in economy. I always thought in my head that all those extras like wine in economy was not sustainable with the low fares they offered.

In order for Eastern to come back, wouldn't Continental have to give up the rights to the name?

Quoting Bw415 (Reply 70):
Hey folks.. 9Y-BGI is back.. comically nothing was painted on the nose of the aircraft.. maybe they havent come up with anything to go along with Barbados. Guess they will handle that decal at some point in Trinidad when they figure their stories out.

How many are left to be pimped out?  Wink

Also, if and when CAL gets new aircraft, they better have a 9Y-UVF or 9Y-SLU.  Smile

OA260

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:18 pm

Does anyone have any photos of the interior of Caribbean Airlines current Business class cabin ??? Thanks in advance.

wadadli

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:40 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 69):
It will be a daily 738 that, as of now, will replace, not compliment, the 757 to SJU.

That would be a net decrease in AA mainline seats going from a daily 757 from SJU to a 738 out of Miami. They were negotiating with the interest of increasing AA mainline seats (ie and in the process protect the current SJU jet flight). I said sometime earlier that the new airlifts are to cater to the large number of hotel rooms coming on stream throughout 2007 and 2008. My source inside AA told me this evening that the plan is to maintain the daily 757 from SJU along with the new daily MIA (738 indeed) and one of the morning SJU eagle flights. Since some connections to ANU will shift form SJU to MIA, they will cut one of the SJU eagle flights (64 seats). So the net increase in daily AA seats from next november will actually only be around 80 seats which is definately at the very least cautiously sustainble based on the current high load factors and consistent with the projected growth.

wadadli

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:48 pm

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 71):
In order for Eastern to come back, wouldn't Continental have to give up the rights to the name?

Oh I must apologize for that misunderstanding. I have no information on the rumour of Eastern re-launching. I actually just followed the link from MD90fan about it and reading through some of it reminded me of the days when they were around and I must say I have fond memories of them.

MAH4546

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:54 pm

Quoting Wadadli (Reply 73):

That would be a net decrease in AA mainline seats going from a daily 757 from SJU to a 738 out of Miami. They were negotiating with the interest of increasing AA mainline seats (ie and in the process protect the current SJU jet flight). I said sometime earlier that the new airlifts are to cater to the large number of hotel rooms coming on stream throughout 2007 and 2008. My source inside AA told me this evening that the plan is to maintain the daily 757 from SJU along with the new daily MIA (738 indeed) and one of the morning SJU eagle flights. Since some connections to ANU will shift form SJU to MIA, they will cut one of the SJU eagle flights (64 seats). So the net increase in daily AA seats from next november will actually only be around 80 seats which is definately at the very least cautiously sustainble based on the current high load factors and consistent with the projected growth.

No reason to doubt you. The original plans was to cut mainline off SJU-ANU, but that very well could have changed, especially based on your information.
a.

caribbean484

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 72):
Does anyone have any photos of the interior of Caribbean Airlines current Business class cabin ??? Thanks in advance.

Business class is the same, only economy seats changed because of the conditions travellers had them in.
All ah we is one family

A388

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:51 am

In other news, we received the first LIAT aircraft here in CUR this past sunday and how nice that Dash-8 looked in the LIAT colors! It is the first time that I've seen the new LIAT livery. I still find it weird to see LIAT fly to CUR as there is no real link between the English speaking Leeward Islands and CUR which is a totally different island with totally different languages and cultures. Even so it is very nice to see Caribbean Islands being connected with each other.

I hope to be able to go to BGI for holidays in the future and of course I will be somewhere near the airport for aircraft photography if that is possible that is.....

P.S. My LIAT photo is in the queue so I hope it will be added soon!

A388 Big grin

caribbean484

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:55 am

Hey folks.. 9Y-BGI is back.. comically nothing was painted on the nose of the aircraft.. maybe they havent come up with anything to go along with Barbados. Guess they will handle that decal at somepoint in Trinidad when they figure their stories out

If you look closely, it says ETOPS, does anyone know what type of ETOPS CAL operates at and do they use it.
http://www.myaviation.net/webimages/?pid=00001440&fullsize=1
All ah we is one family

hummingbird

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:34 am

An update for JM's winter schedule.

A Boeing 737-800 will be leased from American Trans Air. The flight will use ATA's flight and cabin crew, with a JM purser and flight attendant on board.

On selected days the aircraft will be used on the following rotations during the month of December:

1. MBJ-ORD-MBJ.

2. MBJ-UVF-GND-JFK-GND-UVF-MBJ.

3. JFK-MBJ.

The single A340 will be used on the YYZ and JFK route. Plans to send it to the EC were shelved due to capacity and equipment restrictions.

speedbird2263

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 79):
A Boeing 737-800 will be leased from American Trans Air. The flight will use ATA's flight and cabin crew, with a JM purser and flight attendant on board.

Quite and interesting update. How often do airlines wet lease and still put some of their own people on board?  scratchchin 

The single A340

I must have been living under a rock. By this I assume you mean that we only have one A340 now and that the second was returned after the end of the LHR flights?

captaink

Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:04 am

On selected days the aircraft will be used on the following rotations during the month of December:

In the last thread I posted the days the 738s woudl be operating EC routes, but I don't remember anymore. They were suppose to be leasing a World MD11 as well, have you heard of that?
Look Up

westindian425

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 78):
If you look closely, it says ETOPS, does anyone know what type of ETOPS CAL operates at and do they use it.
http://www.myaviation.net/webimages/...ize=1

Man they wasted no time puting it in service! That's what I'm talking about.

AUA747

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:50 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 64):
AA's new flights to the Caribbean ex.JFK are starting soon (St. Lucia is getting Double miles)

B6 will add MCO-SDQ

DL's new BON flight starts 2/08

NK's FLL-AUA flight started November 10

I also read about a Aerosvit charter flight between Kyiv and the D.R

Hey guys, how is everything going? I just want to give you guys an update of the latest development at AUA.This Saturday AIDA Tours will start its cruise-turn-around here in AUA which will bring 4 new flights from Germany operated by Condor and LTU.
DE 6174/6475 from FRA arr. 12.00 - dept. 14.15 B767
DE 6168/6169 from FRA arr. 17.35 - dept. 19.50 B767
LT 5744/5745 from MUC arr. 17.00 - dept. 18.45 A330
LT 5802/5803 from DUS arr. 18.00 - dept. 19.45 A330

Additionally we will see Canjet operating charter flights on Fridays from YUL as per Dec 21.

As of August, Rutas Aereas Venesolana flying as Venesolana started daily operations from CCS and MAR, which are doing very well. These routes are operated with JS-41 and B737. This is a good thing since it makes up for VH which ceased ops in July. Venesolana is looking to open VLN and start flying either to MIA or FLL via AUA. IMO, FLL/MIA might be a challenge for the to get US DOT approval.

Overall 2007 has been an excellent year for AUA. Construction just started on the runway where the will be adding 150m to the runway for Safety End Area and should be completed by June 2008. This extra 150 m to the runway will allow KL MD-11 to depart without weight restriction back to AMS.

Rgds,
AUA747

hummingbird

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:01 pm

Quoting Speedbird2263 (Reply 80):
Quite and interesting update. How often do airlines wet lease and still put some of their own people on board?

As representatives onboard. They are used for the announcements and duty free sales. Any questions and complaints regarding JM are handled by them. They are given passenger seats and have no participation in the meal service.

Quoting Speedbird2263 (Reply 80):
must have been living under a rock. By this I assume you mean that we only have one A340 now and that the second was returned after the end of the LHR flights?

Am also confused as the rotation for the month of December shows one A340. It will be a heavy rotation for the aircraft with little room for delays. On one particular day it will operate KIN-YYZ-KIN-JFK . Day 2 JFK-KIN-JFK.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 81):
In the last thread I posted the days the 738s woudl be operating EC routes, but I don't remember anymore. They were suppose to be leasing a World MD11 as well, have you heard of that?

The MD-11s are out. The new management has started its cost cutting programme. With plans to use the current fleet, it will have high aircraft utilisation during this period.

I will continue to keep you posted.

wadadli

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:05 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 75):
No reason to doubt you. The original plans was to cut mainline off SJU-ANU, but that very well could have changed, especially based on your information.

Yup but i guess time will tell. Its still a good way off so allot can happen between now and then but i sure hope it plays out in favour of maintaining the sju mainline flight.

aa1818

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:53 pm

JM will be operating more types than the US majors do pretty soon!
757s, 737NGs, A32Xs, A34Xs....if they manage to find some 737Classics and do get the MD11 then they'd definitely be operating more types than most of the leading airlines worldwide! Definitely seems like a circus or some sort of carinival fete happenning at Montego Bay at the moment!! Who is running JM at the moment- are there any airline 'experts' there now, or are they still searching for a new CEO?
I wish JM all the best of luck! The Caribbean is too large for Caribbean Airlines to handle (hehe).  stirthepot 

Hey folks.. 9Y-BGI is back.. comically nothing was painted on the nose of the aircraft.. maybe they havent come up with anything to go along with Barbados. Guess they will handle that decal at somepoint in Trinidad when they figure their stories out.

I heard that they painted 'Land of the flying fish' on the front, but when it got back home, Orville London called up Phillip Saunders and made him take it off saying that 9Y-TAB should be 'land of the flying fish'!! hehehe jk
I assume they haven't come up with anything yet and it wasn't seen as important, or perhaps they decided to wait to put the decal on until the plane goes to BGI for the first time so they can have a ceremony like in KIN (although the KIN sticker was on at delivery).

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 78):

What would be standard ETOPS for a 737? I would not have thought that BW would need a particularly high number of minutes for ETOPS since they fly longer distances over land than over water!

Quoting A388 (Reply 77):
I still find it weird to see LIAT fly to CUR as there is no real link between the English speaking Leeward Islands and CUR which is a totally different island with totally different languages and cultures. Even so it is very nice to see Caribbean Islands being connected with each other.

I'm taking a guess here, but I would imagine that there is little connecting traffic from the Eastern Caribbean on the POS-CUR flight. My guess would be people from PMB, GEO and O&D from POS on that flight to CUR. Trinidad has significant business links with CUR. Much exporting/ cargo to transport as well as banking links, and I believe other TT companies have bought controlling stakes in a few businesses in Curacao.

Also- any photos of CALx in a full livery yet?
- Still no official announcement from BW about CCS and TAB-BGI (but the flights are loaded, so I assume they will anounce them soon!)
- How many Dash8s are now operational? 4/5 or have all 5 been brought back to international operational standards?

Heading back to POS on Dec 2nd. LHR-ORD-MIA on Dec 1st, then MIA-POS (flight AA1819- the sister flight to my nickname!). The miles I accrue will make me AAdvantage Platinum! Can't wait!! 2 months since I've been on a plane- TOO LONG!!!! hehehe

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

captaink

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 86):
I wish JM all the best of luck! The Caribbean is too large for Caribbean Airlines to handle (hehe)

I think it is the other way around. Looks like JM runs things in the Caribbean, but being that region is so large it is giving a little piece to Caribbean Airlines..
Look Up

Caymanair

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:25 pm

GCM will get a new service to BOS starting this winter season. Cayman Airways just recently dropped the service to BOS and it has been picked up by US Airways as a Saturday only service.

http://www.caycompass.com/cgi-bin/CFPnews.cgi?ID=1026602

A new non–stop service between Boston and Grand Cayman, starting in January, was announced by US Airways on Thursday.

Flights will operate once a week on Saturdays using the 124–seat Airbus 319 aircraft, effective 12 January, 2008.

Cayman Airways had previously run winter service to Boston but that was discontinued this year with the airline stating that the market size was not big enough to uphold the flights. This was announced back in March when Cayman Airways also announced its direct service to JFK, New York, which has been proving very popular.

President of the Cayman Islands Tourism Association Karie Bergstrom commented on the US Airways flights, “As always any addition of direct flights to and from major cities, especially those that bring tourists here, is a win/win situation for the industry, and Boston is one of those cities. It will complement the New York service we already have. We’re very grateful to US Airways for bringing this on.”

Book by 30 November for travel between 9 January and 30 April for a US$222 roundtrip fare plus taxes and fees, said US Airways spokesperson Valerie Wunder.

Service is as follows –

From Boston to Grand Cayman:

Flight Number: 1735

Departure Time: 8:00am

Arrival Time: 12:19pm.

From Grand Cayman to Boston:

Flight Number: 1734

Departure Time: 1:05pm

Arrival Time: 5:00pm

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:38 pm

I wish JM all the best of luck! The Caribbean is too large for Caribbean Airlines to handle (hehe).

rotfl 

As for BGI lack of titles they have some options

Barbados "Never a dull moment" or "Just beyond your imagination" the latter i prefer.

I suspect CAL will slap on titles on some point bring the aircraft to BGI and have some bs story where they say they are committed to Barbados etc etc etc..

I wonder when GEO and POS will be repainted!!

I am in MCO now. AA should really look at keeping the 738s on the MIA route they are so much nicer than the crappy a$$ 757s especially the emergency row loads of leg room. As usual Immigration was long...

regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

aa1818

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:28 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 89):
I am in MCO now. AA should really look at keeping the 738s on the MIA route they are so much nicer than the crappy a$$ 757s especially the emergency row loads of leg room. As usual Immigration was long...

I'm not fussed about the 757s interiors- i just love that thrust- the sound of the engines. Aww mate- very little can beat a 757 rocketing into the sky!! I do agree though that the AA757s could do with an interior redo- which is in the works for 2008 I believe!

I would think not untill after Carnival, probably in the small window of opportunity between Carinival and Easter. (at least for one of them.) I should think that both will be finished before Summer 2008.

I suspect CAL will slap on titles on some point bring the aircraft to BGI and have some bs story where they say they are committed to Barbados etc etc etc..

I know they pulled out etc, but it was so they could get their house in order. I would be very shocked and somewhat appauled if BW did not resume BGI services to the fullest in the coming 2-3 years.

Quoting Captaink (Reply 87):
I think it is the other way around. Looks like JM runs things in the Caribbean, but being that region is so large it is giving a little piece to Caribbean Airlines..

Nah man we letting them think they running things. BW is just putting its house in order before it gives JM the boot in GND and BGI!!! I hope we see that showdown soon!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

mbj-11

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:50 pm

An update from JM:

"Lay-offs are coming at the national airline Air Jamaica.

The new Board has reportedly ordered that audits be done in all departments to determine which areas of the work force should be reduced.

A notice has also been sent to Air Jamaica employees proposing a 12-month voluntary leave of absence.

Air Jamaica's Executive Chairman, Shirley Williams, on Monday night confirmed that the work force will be reduced.

According to Miss Williams, there is an urgent need to cut costs at the financially-troubled airline.

She argues that some areas of the airline are over-staffed.

"As I said from the very first day that I assumed responsibility for Air Jamaica we have to restructure the organization such that it is efficient. We have to do cuts in terms of human resources because in many areas they are overstaffed," said Ms. Williams.

"We are currently auditing every department at the end of which action is required to be taken in the interest of efficiency," she continued.

The Government has asked for Air Jamaica to be reorganised in preparation for privatisation.

The search is now on for an international partner to help run the 38-year-old airline.

And news of the impending lay-offs has reportedly triggered unrest among Air Jamaica employees.

The Bustamante Industrial Trade Union (BITU), which represents just under 1,000 workers at the airline has rejected the voluntary leave of absence proposal.

President General of the BITU, Kavon Gayle, is predicting that if the management pursues this plan it will have a negative impact on Air Jamaica's operations.

"It was proposed to us earlier sometime this year and we raised concerns about how it would impact on the operations," said Mr. Gayle.

"What Air Jamaica needs to do is to make a forensic analysis of facets of their operation and come up with a structured set of objectives and priorities in terms of how they can improve operations and how they can reduce and save costs," he said.

He says a meeting will be held with the workers later this week.

Pilots and flight attendants are some of the workers represented by the BITU."I

I've always felt JM has been overstaffed in certain positions. eg. Managers. There are/were (soon to be cut) 11 senior vice-presidents and of course countless ground managers. Many of those managers by the way simply have passed responsibilities to the "regular staff" to do while they profiled looking good. I suspect you will have rebellion against job cuts as the previous admin packed "genetically linked personnel" in key positions and friends of friends in other areas. As for the AC utilization, the MD-11 I was told was to be cut as the A321's could handle the slack as they are going for efficient and proper rotation of AC. Check departure times for some flights, you will see they have been pushed back up to 6 hrs in some cases to accommodate certain routes.The lease of the ATA 737-8 was on the cards for a long time and is a customary thing during peak season. They pull the A320 that services the route(MBJ-ORD) and bring in ATA. Also, look for North American to be doing the LAX and possibly FLL routes sometimes.Anyway, lets wait and see as they seek to get things right.
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

aa1818

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 91):

I'm glad to see Jm with a plan and the new board ready to act upon it's findings and investigations. I hope BW can be as forthcoming with information regarding fleet and route issues. One thing with the JM restructuring is that ALMOST all the cards have been laid out on the table regarding fleet decisions, some route decisions, and now labour decisions.

I was looking at the JM routemap the other evening, and was wondering which US services do very well- i.e high yields and high loads, and which are simply continued based on loads and not on yields? Which are VFR, O&D, business or simply lower end tourists?

MIA- VFR high yields and loads (i'm assuming based on how AA & BW do out of MIA into POS)
MCO- tourists?
FLL- VFR
LAX- tourist?/ business?
JFK- VFR- high yields and loads (i'm assuming based on how BW does out of JFK into POS)
EWR- VFR?
PHL- VFR?
ATL- tourist?/ business?

Any input would be appreciated. Are there any routes that will likely be axed under this new management?
How do flights to BON, HAV, GCM, UVF, NAS, GND do? Any are weak performers?

P.s- anyone else find the route map very small- I can't seem to enlarge it!!

Sorry for all the questions.
Cheers
AA1818

caribbean484

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:43 pm

Also- any photos of CALx in a full livery yet?
- Still no official announcement from BW about CCS and TAB-BGI (but the flights are loaded, so I assume they will anounce them soon!)
- How many Dash8s are now operational? 4/5 or have all 5 been brought back to international operational standards?

Yes they are sold out but lets see when they decide to announce it, hopefully they will announce it early December.
Not all have been yet, just the one that is still being repainted. Its taking a long time for it to come out because the aircraft needs to be upgraded to service standars since it has been used for parts by TABX and out of service since last year.
All ah we is one family

caribbean484

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:46 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 92):
was looking at the JM routemap the other evening, and was wondering which US services do very well- i.e high yields and high loads, and which are simply continued based on loads and not on yields? Which are VFR, O&D, business or simply lower end tourists?

MIA- VFR high yields and loads (i'm assuming based on how AA & BW do out of MIA into POS)
MCO- tourists?
FLL- VFR
LAX- tourist?/ business?
JFK- VFR- high yields and loads (i'm assuming based on how BW does out of JFK into POS)
EWR- VFR?
PHL- VFR?
ATL- tourist?/ business?

MIA has the problem of being complemented by FLL, so they have less pax throught MIA. BW carries more pax to MIA than JM does.
JFK is nice for any airline once managed properly.
EWR the same as JFK
ATL- kick DL out.
All ah we is one family

speedbird2263

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 91):
Lay-offs are coming at the national airline Air Jamaica.

Just great  sarcastic  As if JM hasn't gone through enough Lay-offs already and by that I mean laying off workers at the bottom of the pay-scale that actually help towards the bottom-line. As has been said its the top-heavy management folks that delegate their duties anyway to 'regular' staff that need to go and be replaced by competent hard working individuals in a 'lean & mean' manner.

Very interesting and trying times are ahead for JM as the saga continues. Once privatization is achieved however, I do believe things might start to take a sharper turn for good.  crossfingers 

aa1818

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 94):
MIA has the problem of being complemented by FLL, so they have less pax throught MIA. BW carries more pax to MIA than JM does.
JFK is nice for any airline once managed properly.
EWR the same as JFK
ATL- kick DL out.

So what about these? Successful?
MCO
LAX
PHL

Also - how well are JM able to compete with DL out of ATL?
Do JM face competition on the other routes?
MIA-obviously AA
FLL- NK
EWR- CO?
JFK- Charters?

Anyone thinks any of their North American routes should be axed bearing in mind the airline is trying to claw it's way to profitability.

Cheers
AA1818

MAH4546

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 94):

That is the case right now, but by December Air Jamaica will be back up to their normal MIA schedule - 1x KIN/2x MBJ.
a.

bw415

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:47 am

For the record GEO is the one being painted right now.. should be returning soon for the extra flights for the christmas season!

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 90):
I'm not fussed about the 757s interiors- i just love that thrust- the sound of the engines. Aww mate- very little can beat a 757 rocketing into the sky!! I do agree though that the AA757s could do with an interior redo- which is in the works for 2008 I believe!

I am quite worried about my trip home.. if i dont get upgraded I am going to have to find solice in the wing views that I have because those 757 insides are just horrid from what I've seen.. old.. tacky.. poor seat design in general.. good for the 1980's but not today...even business class is nothing to talk about.. STEUPSS... damn cheap skates waiting till mid 2008 to start the interiors.. those 757's should have been upgraded before the 767 fleet.. but they view the 757 as they view the a300.. simply glorified buses in the sky... Never done the 757 actually this is the first opportunity I have taking AA from MIA on 1819 and the return 1818 .. done the 763 be4 but I always perfer BW  Smile..

Quoting Captaink (Reply 87):

HHAHA yeah.. let JM run things.. they will eventually cut back just as BW did and stick to the profitable routes.. so I expect a cutback when the restructuring starts.. "and den we go see who run tings!" CAL will be back on its feet eventually and they have a headstart on JM on the restructuring bit...so I do expect to see domination in the Antillies by CAL soon enough!

bw415

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:56 am

AA1818

Well the trini in me understand and accepts that what CAL did was best, but the bajan in me feels betrayed  rotfl  and will continue to express this until it is rectified!!

As for the 757s yes nice trust etc, but I really those cabins ratty as a$$, even on the AA survey I put a little note expressing my digust at the 757s!! As for the A300s well they just as bad if not worse....

As for the JM vs CAL debate, it all depends on what happens at JM.

IMHO if 2 things happen at JM, the opportunity that is there right now for CAL to get a strong foot hold on the eastern caribbean will be gone. If in a 6-12 month time frame preferably closer to 6-8 months, preparatory restructuring is completed that would enable the new investor to more or less hit the ground running and finding a new investor in that time frame would put JM in a much better position to pose a serious challenge to CAL.

The thing is that right now JM is in a state of limbo . The sooner it gets out of the state the more of a threat it will be to CAL. However even in this state of limbo I maintain that JM will not go down like how BW did i.e with out a fight to JM. But by the same token if JM continues as it is, they will not be able to mount a strong enough defense against CAL advances into the eastern Caribbean!!!!

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos