Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hummingbird

RE: Caribbean/Caribe/Caraibes Aviation Part Xxiii

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:23 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 125):

This is a press release from Nov. 15th. When reading the article it states that Virgin Atlantic is looking at expansion from Jamaica to other destination in the region. To what extend is VS interested in starting up operations from Jamaica to cater our region or further to South America.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...e/pressreleases/news/pr151107a.jsp

Sorry for the delay with my response. My sources are still collecting information.

Having read the article, I can assume they have plans to expand to the Caribbean using MBJ as a mini hub and JM doing Caribbean connections. Wouldn't be surprised to see the launch of a MAN flight.

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 132):
]

Back in 1994 there was to be the launch of a LCC called "Caribbean Airlines" which was scheduled to operate 2 flights per day between Montego Bay and Miami using a 737-300. However JM at that time slashed fares to MIA and killed the airline before they even acquired the ac.

They actually took to the skies using a B727-200 with US registration and Jamerican cabin crew. The 727 was not reliable, due to tech delays the aircraft was returned. a 737-200 was leased from a Central American carrier. The high cost and low yields caused the airline to fold in 1995.

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 132):
]

Only one airline really competed with JM in Jamaica, but more served as a feeder airline and

Trans Jamaica also leased an ATR 42-300 from ATR.
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

MAH4546

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:36 pm

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 150):

This is a press release from Nov. 15th. When reading the article it states that Virgin Atlantic is looking at expansion from Jamaica to other destination in the region. To what extend is VS interested in starting up operations from Jamaica to cater our region or further to South America.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...a.jsp

Media pomp and nothing else.

The quote "we intend to offer a comprehensive network of connections between our three UK airports ? Gatwick, Heathrow and Manchester - and Jamaica via our US and Caribbean gateways, and in future we will look to build up connecting traffic via Jamaica to other points in the Caribbean region" translates at "we will expand our codeshare with Air Jamaica to include more destinations, such as Bonaire and Grenada."

The idea of Virgin expanding from Jamaica to South America, a market that doesn't exist, is laughable, and they aren't going to build any sort of "mini hub" in Jamaica. Maybe if Virgin America decides to enter the Caribbean in a few years, though, MBJ and KIN could be logical destinations.
a.

hummingbird

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:53 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 151):

Sorry for the error in posting. The above mentioned topic was not in regards to VS operating out of Jamaica to South America. Currently they are in advanced talks with the Jamaican Government regarding JM shares. One area that was highlighted was the possibility of VS using MBJ as a mini-hub. That is the reason I mentioned flights from MAN to MBJ as using JM currents network, connections will be available to Caribbean destinations not served by VS.

MAH4546

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 152):
Currently they are in advanced talks with the Jamaican Government regarding JM shares. One area that was highlighted was the possibility of VS using MBJ as a mini-hub. That is the reason I mentioned flights from MAN to MBJ as using JM currents network, connections will be available to Caribbean destinations not served by VS.

I agree that MAN-MBJ could be possible on VS if Jamaica continues to perform strong for them.
a.

A388

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:34 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 153):
Quoting HummingBird (Reply 152):
Currently they are in advanced talks with the Jamaican Government regarding JM shares. One area that was highlighted was the possibility of VS using MBJ as a mini-hub. That is the reason I mentioned flights from MAN to MBJ as using JM currents network, connections will be available to Caribbean destinations not served by VS.

I agree that MAN-MBJ could be possible on VS if Jamaica continues to perform strong for them.

Okay thanks for the replies Hummingbird and MAH4546, I learn something new every day. Please keep me informed trough this discussion or via e personal message/email about any further developments regarding VS and their Jamaican plans.

Regards,

A388

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 145):
Who is going to be in NY this winter, so far we have Caribbean484, West Indian425, BeeWeel15 and I. Sounds like a small meet. Anyhow interested?

Sorry guys a nice and warm Barbadian Christmas is what I have planned!! I know this is way in advance but my aunt has informed me that I am spending Christmas 08 in NYC so if you guys will be there include me for next year  Big grin

Hummingbird

Stanford still in the runnings??

regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

mbj-11

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:18 am

If memory serves me correct wasn't that ATR never even used? I can recall a big hoopla about it, actually they planned to lease an ATR that had BA (British Airways) titles, but it never materialized. That's when the Dash 8 was brought in. Or did they? I recall something about the deal falling through, although they did operate eventually into DR and then as Air Jamaica Express. But for how long was the ATR up and running?
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

westindian425

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 146):
I will be on Maracas Beach chomping down a shark and bake from Richards!!!!

Sorry I can't make it- we shud definitely organize another meet soon though!!!

Doh worry...I'll be in T&T tomorrow, hopefully, as I have 2 weeks off! I'll try my chances at taking better pics at the airport this time. Let's see how it turns out.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

hummingbird

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 156):

If memory serves me correct wasn't that ATR never even used? I can recall a big hoopla about it, actually they planned to lease an ATR that had BA (British Airways) titles, but it never materialized. That's when the Dash 8 was brought in. Or did they? I recall something about the deal falling through, although they did operate eventually into DR and then as Air Jamaica Express. But for how long was the ATR up and running?

It was delivered in 1993. I actually met the local pilots who did their training flights at Sangster Airport. The routing was MBJ-KIN-SDQ. It flew until late 1994. The aircraft had the Trans Jamaica livery.

After acquiring the shares from the government, Butch Stewart introduced the Shorts 360 in JQ fleet, for flights to Tinson Pen, Turks, Santiago and ad-hoc charters. Personally, I was never fond of the "tin craft". At KTP, the aircraft would hold position, advance throttles for 20 seconds, then blast into the skies. There was no room for error and the aircraft would use the entire runway. In 2001, The DASH-8s were acquired from failed carrier EC Express.

Quoting A388 (Reply 154):

You are most welcome. Will keep you updated.

miamix707

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 116):
Here is the larger JM route map requested by someone:

wow they don't fly to Cuba anymore?

If they don't fly to Cuba they aiin't flying nowhere!  silly  Big grin

miamix707

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:58 am

They actually took to the skies using a B727-200 with US registration and Jamerican cabin crew. The 727 was not reliable, due to tech delays the aircraft was returned. a 737-200 was leased from a Central American carrier. The high cost and low yields caused the airline to fold in 1995.

Never heard of this one! Must have been one of the rarest airlines at MIA ever, any pictures please? How did the livery look like?

I have looked for pics of that ATR before but never found any. There has to be one somewhere..

Therefore:

BW985

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 160):
Never heard of this one! Must have been one of the rarest airlines at MIA ever, any pictures please? How did the livery look like?

Check this out:
https://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...=30&prev_id=1148612&next_id=NEXTID

hummingbird

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 159):
Quoting MD90fan (Reply 116):
Here is the larger JM route map requested by someone:

wow they don't fly to Cuba anymore?

If they don't fly to Cuba they aiin't flying nowhere!

3 flights per week. SUN, TUES and THUR.

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 160):

On the B727. It was all white livery, with a palm tree on the center fuselage.

miamix707

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 162):
On the B727. It was all white livery, with a palm tree on the center fuselage.

thanks! wish there was a pic. If anyone finds one plz post it!

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 162):
3 flights per week. SUN, TUES and THUR.

oh I asked because didn't see HAV in thae map poster earlier.

Quoting BW985 (Reply 161):
Check this out:
https://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...EXTID

Thanks for reminding me of that first "caribbean airlines'. I've seen this picture before, but never knew about the 727. Glad to know the airline was from Jamaica, I had no idea.

regupilot

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:32 am

Hello All!

I've seen this, and I am wondering what is AF plan with it. Would it be that SXM is too small for full loads? Full Story

Quote:
Since November 2007, Air France has been operating a second Airbus A320 on its local Caribbean network. On 29 October at 10.07am, the aircraft took off from Paris-Orly airport and landed at Pointe-à-Pitre in Guadeloupe, nearly 12 hours later, after a short technical stop at Gander, Newfoundland.

From now on, these two Airbus A320s will operate the 13 daily flights on the Caribbean network. This consolidated and enhanced network now offers new frequencies and destinations such as Santo Domingo, Saint Martin and Paramaribo.

Also, I've heard they plan to bring some flights to SJU. Maybe in that same A320. Anybody has more news regarding this?
Thanks! Big grin

A388

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting ReguPilot (Reply 164):
Hello All!

I've seen this, and I am wondering what is AF plan with it. Would it be that SXM is too small for full loads?

AF plans with their A320 operation here in the Caribbean is only to offer flights to MIA from the French Caribbean islands and to provide connections between the French Caribbean islands. It has nothing to do with flights to/from Paris and SXM as you mention.

A388

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:17 pm

Not really aviation related but earlier today there was an earthquake measuring 7.3 on the Ricter scale. The epicenter of the quake was close to Martinique however it was felt in UVF, BGI, ANU , POS and GEO from reports. For BGI I think that this may have been the first earthquake felt in living history. Please see the following link for further details.

regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

captaink

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 166):
For BGI I think that this may have been the first earthquake felt in living history.

I am sure they must have felt tremors before, as we surely have felt many times in Grenada. But this is a very powerful quake, for our region.
Look Up

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 167):
am sure they must have felt tremors before, as we surely have felt many times in Grenada. But this is a very powerful quake, for our region

In my 22 years living in BGI I have not felt any tremors and the same goes for my aunts and uncles some of them in their 60s!! I'll have to confirm this but IIRC from my high-school geography, we are not even on the same tectonic plate with the other islands. Remember that BGI is made up of lime stone and not from a volcano like most of the islands in the Caribbean!!

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

FWI747

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:35 am

Hi everyone,

As to date, there's only one fatality from this event (from an heart attack), but fortunately there are only minor casualties and minor damages through the island of Martinique.
According to local seismologists, the epicenter of this measuring 7.4 on the Richter scale was located 150km below the surface and about 30km north to the island. this would explain the the relatively low impact felt on the surface.

David

caribbean484

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:13 pm

Not really aviation related but earlier today there was an earthquake measuring 7.3 on the Ricter scale. The epicenter of the quake was close to Martinique however it was felt in UVF, BGI, ANU , POS and GEO from reports. For BGI I think that this may have been the first earthquake felt in living history. Please see the following link for further details.

My family in POS said they felt the quake but no damage was done and most imortantly no lives lost.
All ah we is one family

caribbean484

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Humming bird or MBJ-11 is there a new Jamaican Airline. According to reports, a new airline applied for flights to the US and various caribbean destination.
All ah we is one family

mbj-11

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:24 am

Well not that I am aware of at the moment. A new look JM, maybe, but I doubt it. But, I'll do thorough checks and let you know, but I doubt it .

hummingbird

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:47 am

Me too. I can assume it maybe through some codesharing of flights with VS.
Sanford may have purchased the carrier with plans to change the name. Who knows?

captaink

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:23 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 168):
In my 22 years living in BGI I have not felt any tremors and the same goes for my aunts and uncles some of them in their 60s!! I'll have to confirm this but IIRC from my high-school geography, we are not even on the same tectonic plate with the other islands. Remember that BGI is made up of lime stone and not from a volcano like most of the islands in the Caribbean!!

What the island is made up of, doesn't determine if it will feel the effects of and earthquake. Barbados like many other islands are quite close the the fault of the Caribbena plate, so any activity in that region would be registered also in Barbados. No while we have felt tremors in Grenada before, it was nothing big and most people weren't even aware, but this one was the result of a 7.3 earthquake, with an epicentre near Martinique so it is understandable that it was felt almost throughout the entire region.
Look Up

mbj-11

Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting HummingBird (Reply 173):
Sanford may have purchased the carrier with plans to change the name. Who knows?

Let me put it this way.............Bredren a war yu want inna di place!!! As much as JM might be in a financial rut, remember the name is what make it have its loyal following (I know you know that) but the thought........yikes!! Burning tyres and old cars anyone?  Big grin

A388

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:49 am

Well, the end of Caribbean Star Airlines is now also visible here in CUR. LIAT is now performing the POS-CUR-POS with their own equipment (see my photo below):

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter

A388

captaink

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 176):
Well, the end of Caribbean Star Airlines is now also visible here in CUR. LIAT is now performing the POS-CUR-POS with their own equipment (see my photo below):

She is looking quite nice in the bright Curacao sun.. Big grin

I miss seeing my caribbean carriers.
Look Up

hummingbird

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:24 am

Quoting Mbj-11 (Reply 175):

Zeen, lol.

Air Turks and Caicos makes inaugral KIN flight.

http://jamaicaobserver.com/news/html...AKES_INAUGURAL_KINGSTON_FLIGHT.asp

Additional Information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Turks_and_Caicos

Did You Know?
Air Turks & Caicos smallest plane has 7 seats.
The longest flight on Air Turks & Caicos is 430 miles from Providenciales to Montego Bay.
Air Turks & Caicos flies over 4,538 seats worldwide per week.
Air Turks & Caicos most popular hub airport is Providenciales Airport, Providenciales.
Air Turks & Caicos most popular hub airport is Providenciales Airport, Providenciales.
Air Turks & Caicos has 27 flights each week from Salt Cay, Turks And Caicos Islands.
The longest flight on Air Turks & Caicos is 430 miles from Montego Bay to Providenciales.
Air Turks & Caicos has 27 flights each week from Salt Cay Airport Salt Cay, Turks And Caicos Islands.

md90fan

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:43 pm

With Air Caraibes, probably the least mentioned of the Caribbean heavyweights, due to receive it's first Embraer EMB-190 jet this month and due to commence service to the Central American cities of Panama City and San Jose (flying to non-Anglo cities is something many Caribbean carriers cannot lay claim to), I figure we ought to get a discussion about their future going.

From my extensive scrutinization, Air Caraibes seems to be on the fast track to success (good product, new aircraft, nice hub in the French Caribbean). What do you guys think? They are even looking at A350XWBs and 777-300/ERs at a time when most Caribbean carriers have trouble holding on to narrowbodies.

Kudos to Air Caraibes, dare I say the Caribbean airline with the brightest future  twocents  champagne 

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Kesternich
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gianni Deligny

http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

captaink

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:40 pm

Just hijacking from another thread. Apparently JM in 2006, was #16 in the US in terms of how many passenger carried. HMM eat that BW boys..  SmileD just kidding)

But it is good to see a small caribbean carrier doing its thing.

On another note, seems like things really turning up in JM. BWIA772 showed me an article yesterday, he should post it here, about the government setting a time limit for JM. But interesting, my friend in GND got hired by JM and was to start work on Saturday, but he was told that everything was on hold, as they having meetings in KIN, about the restructering process. Lets see what comes out of this..
Look Up

westindian425

Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:08 pm

I'm currently in Trinidad and I felt that rumble. What's ironic is I spent almost a year in California last year and not one tremor felt over there!!

Oh well, good to know that very little damage occurred damage in POS and SLU. BGI and FDF felt the bulk of the damage. I haven't heard anything about Dominica, though.

FWI747

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:53 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 179):
They are even looking at A350XWBs and 777-300/ERs at a time when most Caribbean carriers have trouble holding on to narrowbodies.

Add the A380 too ! They are said to prospect International Lease Company in order to lease two 852  eyepopping  passengers WhaleJet; flights would be conducted in conjunction with Air Austral...

See the link below :
Air Austral (Réunion) Considering A380's (by Beaucaire Nov 8 2007 in Civil Aviation)?threadid=3694334&searchid=3695842&s=Air Austral#ID3695842

I don't think they are considering it seriously, just assessing the feasibility. IMHO they should concentrate on filling up their planes and keeping a well adjust fleet to their market, which seems to have succeed well those past years.
As for the routes they started recently, the first one is fed by local tourism : many Martinicans has rediscovered recently that during the 1900s some of their relatives went to Panama to work on the Canal.
The destination soon became a regular spot in conjunction with a local diminishing demand for the Venezuela. The second one to San Jose is fed by french tourism. French operators wanted this destination to be served by a regular carrier. Air Caraibes responded by offering straight connection between flights from France to San Jose.
But I don't think they are ready to go head to head with the majors of the region since their network are distinct.
As they stated in a local newspaper, the main danger for their expansion lies in Air France's appetite for the regional market.
Maybe Air Caraibes should start to for regional or continental alliances...but I'm too young in the business to see what they could offer, i.e if the access to french market would be of interest for the regional carriers...
What do you think ?

trintocan

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:48 pm

I actually saw a LI plane in full colours leave POS for CUR on Saturday 17 November so the LI livery would have been visible in CUR for a little while. That said, 17 November was the date of the final amalgamation of 8B into LI. Many of the former 8B planes still carry the 8B livery with outlined LI titles.

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

bw415

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 pm

hmm things really brewing in KIN boy!!!.. JM is to be privatised and sold off!.. I hope this isn't going to be BW back in 1995 when they were privatised and every two minutes shareholders asking for cash injections and the like!.. I doubt it would be a full sell off and the government would still be a shareholder.. just not majority.. this is really an interesting turn of events but expected as the Jamaican economy cannot sustain these major loses for much longer..

http://www.caribbean360.com/News/Car...ies/2007/12/02/NEWS0000005189.html

KINGSTON, Jamaica, December 3, 2007 - The Bruce Golding Administration has announced that it plans to sell the state-owned carrier, Air Jamaica, by 2009.

Minister without portfolio in the ministry of finance and the public service, Senator Don Wehby, said the money being put into Air Jamaica could be better utilised in financing social services.

"The level of Government's support necessary to keep the airline in operation is unsustainable," the government information service revealed on Friday.

He was speaking at an investment seminar earlier last week.

"It must be recognized that continuation of this level of support to the airline is at the expense of the country's social services," he added.

The minister also revealed that government was in the process of recruiting an investment banker to lead the divestment process and to ensure that the advantages are maximized.

"We hope to have restructured and divested Air Jamaica, such that it is no longer a strain on the budget by the latest March 2009 ... these decisions, though difficult politically, are in keeping with the Government's commitment to sustainable macro-economic stability."

He noted that while operating inefficiencies are to a large extent controllable and can over time be remedied, it is also recognized that factors in the global environment, particularly rising oil prices, are outside the control of the airline and unfavourable to its future viability.

Air Jamaica recently sold its slots at Heathrow Airport in Britain to Virgin Atlantic. It also entered into a code sharing agreement with the British carrier.

Perhaps another airline will be interested in buying them out as opposed to a private group of investors.. it would seem though that in the mean time the main goal of the Gov't would be to restructure and create a profitable business model for someone else to worry about.. in the current state I don't think there will be many rushing in to buy this gigantic headache..

regards,
bw415
Caribbean Airlines the warmth of the islands

westindian425

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:17 am

You know this privatization and JM's history has me thinking. I know this is a bit off-topic, but has Butch Stewart taken any hits in his hotel business as a result of bad sentiment with what he did with JM?

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 180):

I was suppose to post the link but I got caught up studying for finals!!! So I guess that Mrs Williams restructuring plan will be coming into action sooner than we thought!!!

Quoting Bw415 (Reply 184):

Based on link1 and link2, one gets the impression that the Golding Administration plans to get rid of its shareholding in JM in parts!!

Well from what we have heard from out KIN posters VS seems interested in the airline, We also have Stanford group who have expressed interest in the airline as well!!

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

bloodyrascal

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:25 am

Looks Like we will be seeing Virgin get there dream after all a caribbean hub. I could see them buying JM and starting a hub in KIN and MBJ but the only problem is i could see them killing alot of the other Caribbean Airlines. This will be interesting to see who buys JM and what they will do with JM.

Rumor has it that

XL Airways is going to start a NAS-CDG flight next year once weekly. We could use another European Airline to our maing gateway. The Ministry of Tourism is having talks with other European Airlines to seek interest in serving The Bahamas.

BW985

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 32):
Oooh. What's the point in offering one class. Are they expecting full flights and for no-one to want to pay a premium to go Biz?? Loads of businessmen would hop on that flight. Sounds strange that they are only offering one class....oh well...i have faith in Phillip Saunders!!

Have read on another forum that BW is going to wet lease a 180 seater aircraft for the winter season. Has anyone got more info on that?

caribbean484

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting BW985 (Reply 188):
Have read on another forum that BW is going to wet lease a 180 seater aircraft for the winter season. Has anyone got more info on that?

Sorry I have not posted bu exams are here now lol. So until next tuesday I will limit a.net usage lol.
I have not heard of anything since Im busy with exams but hopefully AA1818 and Bw15 can get that info.
I do know that winter loads are high for CAL, so maybe they leasing another 738.
All ah we is one family

caribbean484

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:02 pm

Quoting Bw415 (Reply 184):
JM is to be privatised and sold off!.. I hope this isn't going to be BW back in 1995 when they were privatised and every two minutes shareholders asking for cash injections and the like!.. I doubt it would be a full sell off and the government would still be a shareholder.. just not majority.. this is really an interesting turn of events but expected as the Jamaican economy cannot sustain these major loses for much longer..

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 186):
Well from what we have heard from out KIN posters VS seems interested in the airline, We also have Stanford group who have expressed interest in the airline as well!!

Its nice to see our airlines being fixed, however, oly time will tell and like Bw15 I do hope this is not a repeat of what happened like BWIA 12yrs ago. The airline was sold off to former PanAm head then looses kept on mounting and JM went throuht the same thing with Butch-Stewart.
As for VS investment, if it does happen, lets see what happens with that. VS typically invest in entirely new airlines to compete with. It will be intresting to see if they do invest in JM what will be done.
All ah we is one family

aa1818

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Quoting BW985 (Reply 188):

Good sources say that they are exploring the cost of such an option for the busiy christmas period. Loads are through the roof on all airlines especially ex MIA and KIN and the one class charter would enable more pax to be flown. If you look at fares as well, it's almost foolproof in terms of making a profit. It might be too little too late. I don't think anyone including AA predicted the loads ex MIA this Christmas. One FA on my flight home told me that they are considering swapping 1819/ 1818 to a larger a/c. She said she hates doing POS at busy times, but loves doing it otherwise, so she'll be glad if they swap it for a 767 and use diff. crews. On Sunday both AA POS bound flights left absolutely full- infact on the 1819, over 100 bags were left in MIA (not good for us, but great for AA as cargo loads are probably amazing as well!!)

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

A388

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:30 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 179):
Kudos to Air Caraibes, dare I say the Caribbean airline with the brightest future

Agreed. Air Caraibes indeed has been doing pretty well, far better than the other major Caribbean airlines and still nobody is giving them the attention they deserve. If that rumor of them getting the A380 to jointly operate with UU than that is even better! The first Caribbean airline with the A380, but to be honest I have to see it to believe it. Even so Air Caraibes is a nice airline and in pretty well shape.

A388

westindian425

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:43 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 191):
On Sunday both AA POS bound flights left absolutely full- infact on the 1819, over 100 bags were left in MIA (not good for us, but great for AA as cargo loads are probably amazing as well!!)

Over 100 bags? The Evil Empire couldn't handle the excess, huh? Well that's understandable. You know how we roll.  Smile

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:25 pm

The reduction in capacity at BGI because AA switched to 738s left the last minute people stranded!! My aunt and uncle in GND could not get a flight to MIA on AA so they ended up taking JM and it was common knowledge that they were no seats to MIA on the island. My parents did not receive 2 of their bags when they came back last Tuesday!!

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 193):
Over 100 bags? The Evil Empire couldn't handle the excess, huh? Well that's understandable. You know how we roll.

I think that Latin Americans are worse than us!! On Friday when I turned up at MCO with my 1 check in and carry on I looked out of place!! Of course some west indian in this case a trini turned up with 4 bags all busting at the seam showing that we not to be out done  rotfl  Later she passed me at gate thirty something (heading to D 42 IIRC) dragging her carry on as one of the straps popped!!

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

aa1818

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:29 pm

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 193):
Over 100 bags? The Evil Empire couldn't handle the excess, huh? Well that's understandable. You know how we roll.

I paid close attention to the ppl taking bags off and no one exceeded the 2 bags per person. AA was taking too much cargo. I saw large parcels that were not pax stuff being loaded. We sat on the ground in MIA so they could re-load the a/c and the stupid pilot came on and said- "We are reloading the a/c; we are NOT LEAVING ANY BAGS BEHIND, i'm sure you all in the cabin appreciate this and we ask you to bear with us." And then they leave over 100 bags. i have called CO already and they are willing to match my AAdvantage Platinum status with their Airpass programme. I am on the verge of switching after the nightmare of a trip home.

LHR-ORD, Business Class, priority luggage tag, bag took an hour to come off, almost missed my connexction to MIA.
ORD-MIA, Bag took over 40 mins to come off- domestic flight!! And my bag on this flight was the third one off so i feel sorry for the others who had to wait longer.
MIA-POS One bag didn't come, neither of my mum's two came and neither of her friend's two came. They arrived the following day, which is good, but just not good enough from AA!!

I've written a complaint and I'm going to see what compensation or incentives they offer for me to stay- if not it's CO all the way!

Sorry for the rant!!

Also- at POS, can all the Trinis on here write to the Airport's Authority and ask them to stop taking the bags off the carousel as soon as they come off.

Finally, anyone coming into POS this Christmas, be prepared to go through the red line. No one gets through the green line freely. Everyone is either scanned or sent to the red line. They are making a mint on duties!

Cheers
AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

BWIA 772
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:43 pm

Update on BGI upgrades we now know it will be 5 air-bridges being installed, previously mentioned expansion of the departure lounge! They are currently considering enclosing the check in area so it will be like POS! The main reason for this is that when it rains heavily check area by BW, LI JM and little bit of BA become wet you also find alot of people falling!!

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

caribbean484

Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 191):
Good sources say that they are exploring the cost of such an option for the busiy christmas period. Loads are through the roof on all airlines especially ex MIA and KIN and the one class charter would enable more pax to be flown. If you look at fares as well, it's almost foolproof in terms of making a profit. It might be too little too late. I don't think anyone including AA predicted the loads ex MIA this Christmas

Since late September, CAL has een experiencing heavy loads on its US routes for the Christmas season ad Carnival. Getting a 757 to do the job may be good, but the cost involved needed to be taken into consideration.
The average fare MIA-POS was US$450 for the non busy season for the season is said to have an average of US900 for the season. Those are some heavy numbers.
All ah we is one family

BW985

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:27 pm

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 195):
Also- at POS, can all the Trinis on here write to the Airport's Authority and ask them to stop taking the bags off the carousel as soon as they come off.

Well, there is a completely new airport, but the arrivals area is already too small... What were the architects thinking when they designed the new airport with only 3 miniature luggage carousels that can't even hold luggage of one single flight unless it is a Dash 8? Steups.

caribbean484

Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:41 pm

Quoting BW985 (Reply 198):
Well, there is a completely new airport, but the arrivals area is already too small... What were the architects thinking when they designed the new airport with only 3 miniature luggage carousels that can't even hold luggage of one single flight unless it is a Dash 8? Steups.

That is what you get when the cost went up from $600m to 1.8billion, lol.
This hapens everytime I travel to POS. When a full flight comes in the baggage carousels can't handel the loads. This pises people.
All ah we is one family

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos