Vega9000

RE: The Mysterious A380 VIP Customer..revealed

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:52 pm

The question is: what will happen to "the flying palace" when the government in Saudi Arabia is overthrown by Islamists.

Remember Iran?
Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.

CJAContinental

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting Eyes2thesky (Reply 9):
We need Mr Fusion, and soon

checkmark 

There's not a better alternative on the table so far, fusion is the way.
Work Hard/Fly Right.

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 44):
) for personal use can be considered "progressive" by any definition.

agreed, poor defense on my part, by the Wiki article does it quite well

given that Airbus has often billed the A380 as an efficient aircraft on the basis that it moves more people on one airframe, selling them to

I agree the practiclity isnt there, but thats how it works. What is the point of buying a Maybach 57 or 62 when you can do with a "simple" Benz S-600?

No.

okay, hehe.

Quoting Glideslope (Reply 49):
and back to camels when the oil is gone.

jesus, this guy has nothing to do with oil, its lovely when people display their preconcieved ignorant notions about someone they've never heard of until today. Its like the people who confuse "Osama" with "Obama".

Now my defense of this guy has nothing to do with my support of the Saud family, but rather for the dignity of a prince who has done good for the world in terms of philantrophy, the arts and bridging the divide between the east and the west, everyone who has never heard of him before is accusing him of the most vile trangressions simply because he is from a particular region. I hope the prince enjoys his aircraft and comes to LAX one day, where I would gladly take a picture of his monster aircraft  Smile
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

BlueSkys

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:20 am

Quoting Caljn (Reply 14):
Something obscene and grotesque about these vulgar displays of wealth.

Could not agree with you more. I dont care where you are from or what you do, but if you have enough to buy an A380 dont you think that a few hundred million could help some starving people around the world?

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 17):
The man just bought an A380....this is an aviation board...how is that not every a.netters dream?

But you also do bring up a good point  Wink

Quoting Himmelstormer (Reply 25):
A man in charge of a dark middle ages-apartheid-misogynist-religious-oppressive regime. He gets a big plane and we are all supposed to clap our little hands. Makes me ill. A sale is sale but not this one.

An even better point!!!

Quoting RobTrent (Reply 28):
Shocking!
If the guy want's to spend that kind of cash. I can think of over a hundred charities that would more than welcome a donation.
They would also be very grateful!
Out of interest what happens when he is not using it it? Presumably it just sits on the tarmac somewhere gathering dust.
The world is going mad I am sure.

checkmark 

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 41):
Luxury is relative, some people don't have cars.

I'm sure you would all do the same if you had his wallet. I know i would.

I would settle for a GV or a BBJ.... I seriously would not purchase an A380. It is a pathetic show of status and that is all. If Puff Daddy had the money or 50 cent, you know they would be flying along in A380 with gold 100" rims with spinners. The Prince is no different, he is all about the "I'll show you what a gots biatch" Attitude, just in Arabic.... If the man was born poor, he would have most likely die poor. It is easy to make good investments when Daddy gives you a few billion to play with.

Only GWB could dig dry holes with daddy's money, lol.....

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 53):
but if you have enough to buy an A380 dont you think that a few hundred million could help some starving people around the world?

yep, I'm sure he hasnt done that.  Yeah sure

Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 53):
An even better point!!!

Oh i see, read what you want to hear and comment on that, and ignore my factual based comments about the man

The ignorance in some of these posts and the lack of factual based observations are just sickening.

Nuori5084

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 41):

Luxury is relative, some people don't have cars.

I'm sure you would all do the same if you had his wallet. I know i would.

It's not relative how you achieve that "luxury."

Really? I am not you. An ERJ would suite me well, heck I will go with NetJets instead. I wouldn't dream of a 747 and A380 to compliment it and all the lavish other things they have for example, Bentleys, Rolls, Ferrari's, race horses, houses here and there....I could go on.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the price at the pumps goes up why? Oh, that "uncertainty" in the middle east. Yes, it's a very slippery slope you poor oil executives. Record profit last year and this year, but by all means raise those prices because of such "uncertainty." Supply and demand is another thing.

/end rant
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting Nuori5084 (Reply 55):
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the price at the pumps goes up why? Oh, that "uncertainty" in the middle east. Yes, it's a very slippery slope you poor oil executives. Record profit last year and this year, but by all means raise those prices because of such "uncertainty." Supply and demand is another thing.

so what, thats how it works. American drive inefficent cars, people profit. This is waaaay off the topic, but its pathetic to denigrate a man who doesnt stand up to the stereotypes of an Arab royal. I hope he enjoys his aircraft, we need 1-2 big jet private owners, so we can marvel at it.

yowza

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 8):
Prince Alwaleed bin talal of Saudi Arabia: from the camels to the A380.

What a great comment. Perhaps he could use his 380 to airlift all of those pesky North Africans/Arabs out of Europe for you  Yeah sure

Good thing he could not buy a Concorde! laughing

Actually I think you'll find he could. Getting it airworthy is another story entirely.

....and back to camels when the oil is gone.

As other have told you his wealth is more in line with that of Warrern Buffet than the traditional revenue stream of th Saudi elite.

YOWza

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 57):
As other have told you his wealth is more in line with that of Warrern Buffet than the traditional revenue stream of th Saudi elite.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 57):
What a great comment. Perhaps he could use his 380 to airlift all of those pesky North Africans/Arabs out of Europe for you

Just shows the ignorance and narrow-mindedness of these folks who steretoype all of the middle-east and the Arab world as a monolithic entity. These guys have probably never heard of Mr. Alalweed but are quick to come to disgusting accusations.

glideslope

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 52):
jesus, this guy has nothing to do with oil, its lovely when people display their preconcieved ignorant notions about someone they've never heard of until today. Its like the people who confuse "Osama" with "Obama".

ROFLOL. Sure. The fact that he uses the oil money to present a philanthropic image is fine. However from most articles IMO, he is about himself and the public recognition he receives.

The true philanthropist donates without self promoting imagery.

So, when the oil is gone he moves to a Citation X.  checkmark 
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting Glideslope (Reply 59):
The fact that he uses the oil money to present a philanthropic image is fine

What oil money?  Confused

This man is respectable, he even offered to donate for the 9/11 fund which was shot down, because Guiliani didnt "want" it. I'm sure a lot of you are going to state how this guy "supports Terrorism, and his oil money is supporting terror" BTW, I hope his A380 has a cool livery, and visits LA, he'll probably be in Cote D'Azur tho, where he has his yachts.

BlueSkys

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 54):
Oh i see, read what you want to hear and comment on that, and ignore my factual based comments about the man

The ignorance in some of these posts and the lack of factual based observations are just sickening.

I dont know how i insulted you, but feel free to elaborate. My posts did have a hint of humor.....

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 60):
I'm sure a lot of you are going to state how this guy "supports Terrorism, and his oil money is supporting terror"

I would never even make such an assumption, as i am sure that most A.netters would not.

But, there is not one private citizen that 'Needs' an A380. The Queen of England flies BA for gods sake. It is ALOT of emissions for just one man... If we are going to criticize him for anything, it is that he has obviously no care for the environment.

LAXspotter, since i do not seem to know much about the man, where did he get is 'start up' money from? his family right? and that is not from oil in any way? I am not asking to be provocative, but i am really curious.

yowza

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 61):
I would never even make such an assumption, as i am sure that most A.netters would not.

Don't be so sure. There are a lot of questionable viewpoints that seem to persist here.

Moving on I really hope that ab updated livery is slapped on this beast. Yet another drab kingdom holdings scheme would not do justice to the 380.

YOWza

abrelosojos

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:42 am

Good thing he could not buy a Concorde!

= Wow. This board has a new low. The implications of this statement are very lucid for me.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

RUHFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:49 am

and you will be on your bike Big grin

RUHFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:59 am

OMG I can't believe there are people that are so jealous and racist.. I mean for god sake "Mr Fusion" :d.. oh I feel threatened :d ..
just a small tip .. even if today was the last day oil is pumped.. people in oil rich states can live for 4 generations WITHOUT doing anything else than there doing now .. same lifestyle,, in another words, they are only spending a fraction of what they earn.. :d ((I really hope some sick people don't get a heart attack by reading this )) :d

LTU932

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:01 am

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 31):
While the US may officially 'consider' the 380 to replace the current Boeings. I doubt there is a member of this site that believes Airbus has a hope in Hades of supplying aircraft for that role.

Not Airbus. If, then it's Northrop Grumman licence building A380s for the Air Force, but then again, it's more likely the 747-8I will replace the VC-25As and/or E-4Bs.

Anyway, just as a sidenote, Alwaleed Bin Talal recently came to LIR to spend a few days in a hotel that he owns. Needless to say, his 747 caused quite a mess up in the GA ramp, because it took up lots of space of it. I just cannot imagine him coming down to SJO or LIR when he wants to visit one of his hotels next time.  Wow!
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting RUHFlyer (Reply 64):
and you will be on your bike

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Who the champion now, huh  box 

The people who scorn his wealth, are the exactly those who are jealous when athletes earn millions of dollars, and people ask "should they get paid that much", you know what "yes" its called the forces of supply and demand and youre helping, and although Alalweed has nothing to do with the Oil business, scorning about the wealth of the Arab states is quite pathetic really, if youre so contemptuous about then, then get off your Ford Excursion's and Chevy's Subarbans, and start biking to work, live closer to work, and change your lifestyle, no point in "bitching" about the wealth of the royal families who are thriving because of the greed of the worldwide energy consumers.

BlueSkys

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 67):
no point in "bitching" about the wealth of the royal families who are thriving because of the greed of the worldwide energy consumers.

HA!!!

Most people use what then need, and they dont have a damn alternative! If i could hook my condo up to a geothermal energy source than i would, if I could drive a hydrogen car then i would... There is no alternatives, and the people making the black stuff want it that way my friend.

Most people not being scientists cannot build themselves a hydrogen powered car, but if it comes people will buy it, and then the Oil States will have to think of what to do after their 4 generations of wealth runs out... as so eloquently put by RUHFlyer.

RUHFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 68):
Oil States will have to think of what to do after their 4 generations of wealth runs out

again .. sorry to tell you that.. but have you heard about "The Sovereign Wealth Fund" ?.. do you know who has the control of the Londons stock exchange?.. GCC states ... so the answer is quite simple really .. in this world.. the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer .. if you have billion and billions of dollors and your only using a portion of it and investing the rest...
So don't think that they spend out all oil money .. much of it is invested with very high rates of return..

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:29 am

I have never been to Canada, but US and the Western world in general is very materialistic, and I dont see anything wrong about buying an A380 for private use expect for the Environmental One, then again we're all screwed. Let him have what he wants, considering how much he is worth, there are hundreds of thousands of drivers in the US that drive pathetically fuel inefficient cars, if those people started conserving fuel, it would offset the unique 5-10 people out of 6.5 Billion people who can afford these luxury items. I understand the environmental concern, its a legitimate one, but denigrating the man and stereotyping him as the ruthless, misogynist dictator was uncalled for.

eyes2thesky

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting RUHFlyer (Reply 65):
OMG I can't believe there are people that are so jealous and racist.. I mean for god sake "Mr Fusion" :d.. oh I feel threatened :d ..

Someone needs to google the movie "Back to the Future", because the "Mr Fusion" tongue-in-cheek reference was obviously lost in translation. Never mind, I'll save you the trouble:
http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/08/31/mr_fusion_garba.html

And just to add, the GCC states should not feel threatened by the possibility of fusion. Indeed, they should be investing some of their great wealth into researching the concept. If they were to be the first to crack the obstacles and make fusion a reality then they would ensure their wealth not for four generations, but for eons.

Hmmm, wonder if this thread is going to be locked pretty soon...
AA,AL,B6,CO,C5,C8,DA,DL,FI,F9,HP,LH,MQ,NW,OO,TZ,UA,US,WN,XJ,YV,ZW,VX

BlueSkys

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 70):
but denigrating the man and stereotyping him as the ruthless, misogynist dictator was uncalled for.

I did or said no such thing. You may read my posts above, if nothing I stood up for the gentleman. I just mention a bit of ego and the environment...

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:00 am

Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 72):
if nothing I stood up for the gentleman. I just mention a bit of ego and the environment...

I didnt mention you, you were voicing the only real concern "the Environmental one" others were making racial remarks, steretyping him, and accusing him of dishonorable behavior.

Pihero

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:19 am

Yes, a thread that marks a new low on A.net.
I was the first to mention Waleed as the most likely secret buyer of the first private A380 and no one -I say again NO ONE - has taken me on that possibility. Why ? NO ONE on that thread had heard of him.
And now the racism... Funny no one mentions the *outside signs of wealth* of the likes of ....(fill the space), the yachts (that better have two helicopter pads), the money spent on fancy racing sailing boats,semi-immerged properties...and so on...I forgot, only American whites are allowed to be rich !
Oil ? hardly. a quick look at his biography reveals that instead of using *daddy's money*, he took advantage of a very Middle East way of business ,i.e the obligation for foreign companies to have a national as front man. That and a bevy of very shrewd investments made him one of the richest people on the planet. What's wrong with that ? I thought that individual enterprise was THE quality of our civilisation, or am I wrong ?
As for publicised charities and donations, I haven't heard of the likes of Harvard and the Louvre to have rejected them, or the scientists on cell research.
Last remark : That the most balanced view on this thread comes from the youngest - LAXspotter - tells a lot about the level of education of the average "contributor".
Contrail designer

Pihero

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:41 am

Further to the above, and to twist some noses a bit more, John Leahy has just revealed that he is talking to a second 380 private buyer from the same region !
I have to tell you : Rolls Royces are really out of fashion, now !

Now, Who would he be ?
Contrail designer

CV580Freak

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:55 am

HEAR HEAR ..............
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

Rj111

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:18 am

Quoting Pihero (Reply 75):

Do you mean the cars or the engines? Big grin

RussianJet

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:42 am

Call me whatever you want but I'm actually sickened by that picture.

Me too. Flying palace? Flying disgrace, more like.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

moek2000

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:52 am

Come on ya'll...So the prince buys himself a new 380...so what? What do you have to do with it?
This is what I love about capitalism, you can buy anything you want!

I think everyone here that are complaining about the prince buying a 380 is a communist. They should be sent to guantanamo...  Big grin

RussianJet

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:12 am

Quoting Moek2000 (Reply 79):
What do you have to do with it?
This is what I love about capitalism, you can buy anything you want!

We all have something to do with it. I'm no tree-hugger, but there is simply no excuse or need for such wastefulness - an individual does not need to have his own A380.

The fact that people like him can buy whatever they want, regardless of the consequences for the rest of the people, is precisely what I hate about capitalism.

I'm not jealous of him. I would be jealous of someone who owned a weet bizjet. He just makes me sick.

MCIGuy

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:19 am

There you go, underestimating US again. That's right, we're just a bunch of uneducated buffoons who had never before heard of the Saudi prince until someone "enlightened" us on a.net. That's ok though, we like it that way. Wink
...and yes, I remember a thread some time back, and I also remember some of the same vitriol being thrown his way back when it was just educated speculation as to the buyer. Again, Jealous? Hardly. I don't think I could ever look at another poor kid again, and sleep at night, that is. It's vulgar money, and all because of their stranglehold on the rest of the world. However you try to spin it, the Saudi royal family's money came from oil, whatever side investments they may have now.
I think the question as to what will become of the air fleet when they're overthrown by fundamentalists is a valid one. I'm fully convinced that will happen in my lifetime. Unfortunately, what the fundamentalists have to say is going to start looking pretty good to the rank and file Saudi by comparison. Not to mention the historical tension among the Arabian families. When that happens, the House Of Saud will fall like a house of cards. Then there will be no 747s or A380s, or even a 172 for that matter. Do not get me wrong, I don't wish for that. They at least provide some stability in the region, even though they directly fund instability on the fringes.
Vulgar displays of wealth by Americans, Europeans and Russians are just as distasteful to me, so no racist undertones here.

BTW, I do think it's funny that he has holdings in both Time/Warner and News Corp. Now that's hedging your bets!  rotfl 
Airliners.net Moderator Team

N14AZ

Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:47 am

Quoting MCIGuy (Reply 81):
Jealous? Hardly. I don't think I could ever look at another poor kid again, and sleep at night

That's exactly my opinion. Imagine how many good things you could do with the operation costs of only one of the four engines...

But coming back to a more technical issue if you don't mind... He will receive his A380 in 2010. In another thread it was stated that it will be one of the prototypes (MSN004, if I remember correctly). Can somebody confirm?

abrelosojos

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:00 pm

Quoting Pihero (Reply 74):
and so on...I forgot, only American whites are allowed to be rich !

= See. You talk about racism and you do it yourself. The worst commentary here came from a French/Monacan woman ... read the posts. Why single out the Americans? Again, lets look beyond nationalistic flag if we do really care about issues such as racism. It exists everywhere ... you my friend should be well aware of it.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

RacingGreen07

Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:08 pm

So when the oil is gone......what will YOU use?

Quoting Glideslope (Reply 59):

The true philanthropist donates without self promoting imagery.

Your missing an important point....the money STILL reaches charity....who the hell cares if he shows off? The charity WILL STILL receive the money!

Quoting RUHFlyer (Reply 64):
and you will be on your bike Big grin

LOL amen.

Most people use what then need, and they dont have a damn alternative! If i could hook my condo up to a geothermal energy source than i would, if I could drive a hydrogen car then i would... There is no alternatives, and the people making the black stuff want it that way my friend.

In the second sentence you quote various alternatives. Then in the third sentence you start by saying there are no alternatives lmao. There are electric cars available. There are hybrids available (sure I understand a hybrid still uses petrol but it uses alternative sources too). You can hook your house up to solar panels. You can do so much for the environment as well as not supporting the "EVIL" philanthropic Saudi Family.

Most people not being scientists cannot build themselves a hydrogen powered car

I say again, there are ELECTRIC cars available as well as hybrids. Further to that BMW has also created a hydrogen powered car.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 80):
an individual does not need to have his own A380.

Who are you to say what a person needs or doesn't need? He had the money.....he bought it. Get over it now?

EDIT: Its funny how people didn't quote my post about his philanthropy. Hmm I guess people just wanna see the bad side of this guy...Thats the problem with humans, we focus on the bad, and not on the good an individual has done.

[Edited 2007-11-14 08:10:24]
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

yowza

Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:26 pm

Quoting RacingGreen07 (Reply 84):
EDIT: Its funny how people didn't quote my post about his philanthropy. Hmm I guess people just wanna see the bad side of this guy...Thats the problem with humans, we focus on the bad, and not on the good an individual has done.

It's always easier to see the bad especially when the little voice inside has a bone to pick. If you browse around the various EK threads you will see this is scores of posts.

YOWza

Pihero

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:23 pm

Abrelosojos,

Quoting Philzh (Reply 12):
If one can judge from the locally preferred style as seen in DXB, EK's F suites, or in the Burj Al Arab (maybe the most hideous hotel interior on earth), a style for which the first word that comes to mind is probably not "restrained" or "subdued", seeing the Flying Palace's interior might well induce uneasyness on the eyes, dizzyness in the head, stomach cramps and possibly, if they really go overboard with its design (and why not?), fainting.

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 15):
If you've ever seen the inside of a historic palace of an old Islamic caliph in Turkey or the Middle East, "restrained in style" is definite not it.

Quoting Keesje (Reply 16):
As to what sort of amenities the Prince will choose to trick out his new plane, Airbus has remained mum. Perhaps we could suggest a lovely virgin cow-hide psychiatrist's couch where he can discuss all those mummy issues?

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 17):
Something obscene and grotesque about these vulgar displays of wealth.

A man in charge of a dark middle ages-apartheid-misogynist-religious-oppressive regime. He gets a big plane and we are all supposed to clap our little hands. Makes me ill. A sale is sale but not this one.

Quoting MCIGuy (Reply 26):
Nope, just tha fact that it was funded by the average American's and European's wallet. The sad part is that it's the one's who can least afford it who get hit the hardest. Jealous? Hardly...
Yeah, I know he has investments, but he invests daddy's money, and we all know where dear old dad's money comes from

Quoting Desh (Reply 43):
he is a global business man because hes got way too much moolah from oil - not like he build all this ground up. His interview on CNN money was an eye opener ...

Quoting Desh (Reply 43):
Wonder how much of the world is owned by these sheiks

Quoting Lobster (Reply 45):
777STL (Reply 40):
I'm sure they wouldn't care if they were selling it to Osama Bin Laden himself.

Well, they are a French company!!!

Now, can you come with another possibility than I did ? Especially with the history of these contributors ?
As for *a French/Monacan*, what you - and I - know is that she lives in Monaco and she's flown Concorde. Full stop.
Contrail designer

RussianJet

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:24 pm

Get over it now?

Er no, because whether you want to admit it or not, what he does has far-reaching consequences for all and is simply excessive.

Its funny how people didn't quote my post about his philanthropy

Good for him, but philanthropic work does not excuse bad, selfish and greedy behaviour. Some of the most evil people in history still had their good points. Doesn't excuse their behaviour in the slightest.

SOBHI51

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:01 pm

Few weeks ago rumors where that the first A380 private plane will be bought by a russian (forgot his name).Nobody went out of his way to insult him or his country and we all know how suddenly few Russians became so reach in no time.I am not accusing anybody but it is common knowledge that a lot of that money came from illegal transactions. Prince Alwaleed investments are known to everybody.

Well you gave me the permission to call you what i want, You are a sick,racist ignorant person
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

ncelhr

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:25 pm

Let's get back to the subjects at hand:

Quoting Fsnuffer (Reply 18):
I am still trying to figure out how they are going to engineer in a Jacuzzi into the 380. Imagine pulling one neg G during heavy turbulence. All those naked bodies and water sloshing around the cabin.

You're laughing but I spoke to some Airbus designers this summer & one challenge which they have been asked to address - let's say, as a concept - is the possibility of having a large jacuzzi / small pool. The problem is filling it fast enough and being able to empty it fast enough in case of emergency. There would need to be a tank of the same size as the jacuzzi in which water could empty itself in 10-20 seconds (that's seriously fast!). My correspondent did not know whether a solution had been found.

Quoting JAM747 (Reply 37):
It would be cool to have some billionares like this as a.netters as they would probably buy some nice classics and fly them around, especially ones with historical significance. Are there any famous billionares on a.net?

A friend of mine used to own a 727 two years ago, before he lost serious money on a bad deal. At the time, he was looking for a 2nd hand 707 (longer range) and he once called me asking me to check to Web and see the relevant web sites about a 707 stationed at BSL. (It might still be based there). Anyway - he now flies on commercial airliners...

Quoting 777STL (Reply 38):
Indeed, there's no logical need for something the size of a 380.

As for AlWaleed, before he purchased the 744, he used to fly the A340 and B767 in tandem. Rumours were going around that he would use one as his flight & the second one to carry his luggage. Never believed the rumour... Another rumour was that his time cost too much to be stranded should his aircraft go Tech so he always had a backup...

Quoting Lobster (Reply 45):
Well, they are a French company!!! Wink

Wrong. Airbus is a European Company - and the official language for work at Airbus is English. I know, I was surprised when I learned that.

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 46):
He has the KINGDOM 5KR for that.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Yacht123.jpg

Quoting MCIGuy (Reply 6):
The Donald weighed in on this a couple of years ago. ..... I guess he's perfectly happy with his 727.

So he sold the above yacht (at a tidy profit, might I add) to Khashoggi who then resold it to the Prince (or was it the other way around?)

Actually, Adnan Khashoggi (arms dealer to Saudi) had it built in the 80ies and named it "Nabila", after his daughter's name. The boat was stationed in the South of France.
He then had huge tax problems, was jailed in Switzerland, had the boat flee to the Philippines, and then brought back for sale in order to pay tax arrears etc. The boat was purchased at discount price by Donald Trump and renamed "Trump Princess", and taken to New York. Trump then went bankrupt and had to sell the boat at yet another discounted price. The yacht was put up for sale, was refurbished and given a new livery and renamed "Acajou" for a few months but there was another Acajou (Acajou means mahogany and the other yacht was all in mahogany) - AlWaleed purchased it and brought it back to the South of France, and then renamed it Kingdom. He purchased it just before he bought parts in Eurodisney + Citibank and at about the same time he purchased the B767 & A340.

Quoting Vega9000 (Reply 50):
The question is: what will happen to "the flying palace" when the government in Saudi Arabia is overthrown by Islamists.

Nothing. Nowadays, his wealth is not derived from oil. He was given a huge sum of money (derived from oil) to start with by his family, a sum that he then invested wisely. He is probably one of the most cautious investors in the world. His fortune would be more affected by problems in the US sub-prime mortage market than by an overthrown Saudi Arabia. Tags: Eurodisney, Citibank, Apple Computer)

As for those that think that the money should be given to a charity instead, AlWaleed is a benefactor of several charities, both Islamic & non Islamic. Let him spend on himself from time to time. Furthermore, his order for an A380 will provide jobs for European and US workers. Yes - a lot of the gadgetry inside the aircraft will be US-manufactured, and many many components on the A380 are US-manufactured. I say jobs are good. I'd rather have him spend his money on an aircraft than blowing it on futile stuff which billionaires spend on, such as gambling, prostitutes & drugs, where the money ends up in crime gangs and ultimately, terrorism.

philzh

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:59 pm

Ncelhr, thank you for your well-written and thoughtful posting on the broader subject at hand: interesting and informed.

I had completely forgotten about AlWaleed's investment in Apple, a while back. With ownership of 5% of this company, and the way their stock has been going lately, he must have been doing quite nicely.

BTW, I'd like to apologize for my posting in this thread, which was not meant to be entirely serious, but has been picked up as such.

Devilfish

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:13 pm

He could buy this, though.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...erion-supersonic-business-jet.html
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

RacingGreen07

Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 87):
Er no, because whether you want to admit it or not, what he does has far-reaching consequences for all and is simply excessive.

Hmmm actually I do agree with you that his actions do have consequences for all, both negative......but remember....positive also. As NCELHR has said the order will create jobs and put food on tables of families around the world....I mean you gotta admit that its better he doesn't spend that A380 money on drugs or prostitution as outlined by NCELHR.

However you do have a point when you say that there will be negative consequences.....I expect you mean long term consequences such as global warming etc.?

It is kind of a kick in the teeth when some people are trying to cut down on global emissions and then the Prince buys a huge jet. Well the A380 is quite environmentally friendly actually (compared to other jets of that size?)....but still its still alot of carbon emissions.....

We can only hope he invests in global warming initiatives that plan to reduce carbon emissions LOL!
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

Vega9000

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Ncelhr (Reply 89):
Quoting Vega9000 (Reply 50):

Nothing. Nowadays, his wealth is not derived from oil. He was given a huge sum of money (derived from oil) to start with by his family, a sum that he then invested wisely. He is probably one of the most cautious investors in the world. His fortune would be more affected by problems in the US sub-prime mortage market than by an overthrown Saudi Arabia.

Well, I think that would probably depend if the aircraft is in Saudi Arabia or not at the time of the coup. I don't think that an Islamic revolution's leaders (should there be one) would think that way.

So you're telling us that the Prince's wealth is no longer based in Saudi Arabia? And that a revolution in his home state would not affect him at all? I find that hard to believe. He would (again, depending on his location) become an expatriate, albeit an extremely wealthy one.
Don't believe anything you read on the net. Except this. Well, including this, I suppose.

Viscount724

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 77):
Quoting Pihero (Reply 75):

Do you mean the cars or the engines?

Assuming you mean the cars, Rolls-Royce (now a BMW subsidiary) would probably disagree. Sales through September were up 22% over last year.
http://www.press.rolls-roycemotorcar...d=7B4DACE49530F818C125736E004F1093

SOBHI51

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:27 am

Well somebody else bought a small version of the Concorde.
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...erion-supersonic-business-jet.html
 bouncy 
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

N14AZ

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting Ncelhr (Reply 89):
At the time, he was looking for a 2nd hand 707 (longer range) and he once called me asking me to check to Web and see the relevant web sites about a 707 stationed at BSL. (It might still be based there).

There was no 707 stationed at BSL (at least not in the recent past, maybe in the eigthies). Maybe you mean the Jet Aviation DC8...

RussianJet

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting RacingGreen07 (Reply 92):
.I mean you gotta admit that its better he doesn't spend that A380 money on drugs or prostitution as outlined by NCELHR.

However you do have a point when you say that there will be negative consequences.....I expect you mean long term consequences such as global warming etc.?

Global warming, unnecessary depletion of oil and other resources etc.

Yes, it might me better than prostitution or drugs, still doesn't make it ok! He may do some good, but even an aircraft half the size would be more than adequate.

ncelhr

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 96):
There was no 707 stationed at BSL (at least not in the recent past, maybe in the eigthies). Maybe you mean the Jet Aviation DC8...

Sorry, I meant, parked at BSL. I remember vividly looking it up in a database / flying hours & the like.
I've looked through pictures on A.net and could not find it. Perhaps was it only a short term visitor. But I'm 100% sure it was a 707.

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 97):
Yes, it might me better than prostitution or drugs, still doesn't make it ok! He may do some good, but even an aircraft half the size would be more than adequate.

I agree with you, but picture yourself owning a 744 - would you downsize to a BBJ? Big egos require big toys.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos