Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

crownvic
Topic Author

Pilots Detour Passenger Planes To View A380

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:49 am

I havent seen this reaction since the Concorde, but on 3 seperate occasions at Orlando Intl. (MCO) today, the following landing aircraft US 757, CO737, and an AA MD-80 requested to have their aircraft taxi the full lenght of the runway in the opposite direction away from the terminals to get a view of the parked A380! Once stopped you could see all kinds of flashbulbs going off in the cabin as well as the cockpits...Please keep in mind that the A380 was parked the furthest out from the terminals requiring quite a long taxi out of the way to view...One pilot even asked on short final if that was the A380 off to the West side..

After the photo sessions, all asked to turn around and return to the gates with passengers...Its nice to see that some crews are airplane enthusiasts and that its not just a job.....

BreninTW

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:52 am

When I flew out of HKG at the beginning of September, the pilot told us just before starting the take-off roll that the A380 was visible (on the other side of the aircraft I was on).

Of course, it turns out that this was the time the A380 was flying without the wingtip fences!

ikramerica

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:52 am

Wonder how their airlines feel about using the fuel. The passenger good will might outweigh the cost though, assuming the pax knew that it was being done especially for them.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

crownvic
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:56 am

The plane here is the same plane as the HKG fly by with damaged wingtip fences you saw..

I also wondered about the fuel expense of taxiing...

ATAIndy

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 2):
Wonder how their airlines feel about using the fuel.

I was wondering that myself, taxing takes a ton of fuel. What about the wasted time, how can an airline afford to take 15 odd minutes to plane spot while in an airplane?
Boiler up!

scrubbsywg

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:37 am

i flew in and out of YUL the other day when the a380 was there, and both before landing and on taxi out the pilots at least mentioned that the plane was there, pointed it out, and said it was 'impressive'. While they didn't taxi out of their way, they still took the time to mention it. Not quite the same, but i thought i would add that it seems it is interesting enough for the pilots that don't see it everyday as well as aviation fans, of which many pilots probably are!

flyinglen

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:45 am

Scrubbs, did you happen to be on Jazz 8369 to Winnipeg the other night when the A 380 was there?

platinumfoota

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting Crownvic (Thread starter):
Its nice to see that some crews are airplane enthusiasts and that its not just a job.....

Very true. Im always talking to pilots and they always give me back some feedback on aviation topics. I spent a nice 5 minutes talking to a pilot about winglets in the cockpit a couple of days ago. Very nice of them.
Never forget United 93

scrubbsywg

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting Flyinglen (Reply 6):
Scrubbs, did you happen to be on Jazz 8369 to Winnipeg the other night when the A 380 was there?

i think you mean 8569, and yes i was.

pilotboi

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:04 am

Its nice to see that some crews are airplane enthusiasts and that its not just a job.....

I've yet to meet a pilot that is not an aviation enthusiast. That's one thing I always found interesting about this industry/career. Pilots, dispatchers, ATCs, maintenance. You very rarely meet anyone that is unhappy with their job. Unhappy with pay maybe - but who isn't?  Silly Of course - this is not always true for ticket, gate, and ramp agents.

mariner

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:26 am

Quoting Crownvic (Reply 3):

I think it's grand. The airlines don't give their passengers much these days, except the seat.

An event like this comes along once in a blue moon, and if the OP is correct, that he could see photo flashbulbs inside the plane, then I'd guess a number of pax appreciated it.

I would have been one of those happy pax, if I'd been there.

mariner
aeternum nauta

PiedmontINT

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:35 am

I also think this is a great show of goodwill for the pax, and good PR for the airlines these pilots work for. I am sure lots of people went into the terminal and told whoever is picking them up how cool it was that the pilots showed them the "biggest airplane in the world." It possibly is a once in a lifetime event for some of those people and one they will remember later when booking travel for another trip..

NZ107

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:51 am

Quoting ATAIndy (Reply 4):
What about the wasted time

How much leeway, both time and costs, do they give the planes for taxiing? Say if the plane landed the other way, it still has to make its way back to the terminal by backtracking. Then add another couple of mins to that (due to the return drive), they may have made time in the air.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

luv2cattlecall

RE: Pilots Detour Passenger Planes To View A380

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:19 am

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 9):
You very rarely meet anyone that is unhappy with their job. Unhappy with pay maybe - but who isn't?

Do a search for AA777ER here on a.net, he hates his job, pax, and by the sounds of his posts, any chance of a sustainable career!

UnknownUser

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:48 pm

I'd be pretty pissed in MOST instances. People travel for all sorts of reasons. What if you were flying to see a family member who was deathly ill? There are so many time critical situations people can be in, it is not right to make unnecessary detours.
Die Skybus!!! You need to die for the good of the industry!

hangarrat

Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:50 pm

I can't imagine how pissed off most of the passengers on these flights must have been. They're lucky there wasn't a riot in the cabin.
Spell check is a false dog

nema

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 10):
I think it's grand. The airlines don't give their passengers much these days, except the seat.

I think its grand too, obviously nothing to do with the airlines though, more to do with those up front.

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 15):
I can't imagine how pissed off most of the passengers on these flights must have been. They're lucky there wasn't a riot in the cabin.

What an amazingly negative comment. Why would 'most' of the passengers be 'pissed off' and why would there be a riot. I assume that you are a member on this site because you are an airplane and flight enthusiast?
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

RobK

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:13 pm

Quoting UnknownUser (Reply 14):
I'd be pretty pissed in MOST instances. People travel for all sorts of reasons. What if you were flying to see a family member who was deathly ill? There are so many time critical situations people can be in, it is not right to make unnecessary detours.

Are you two for real ?

confused 

R

YULWinterSkies

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:32 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 2):
Wonder how their airlines feel about using the fuel.

You can in no way compare the peanuts burned during taxiing and what's burned during flying. And this happens ONCE, unlike the daily delays and congestions at major airports leading to aircraft sitting on tarmac and circling in the sky.
When I doubt... go running!

NwAflyer07

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:48 pm

On that day a lot of us rampers from NW, US, and UA stopped everything they were doing, grabbed whatever tug or beltloader they could find, and drove to the outermost side of our airside. A UsAir 737 came to a complete stop while taxing out to the runway, and it almost seemed like everything froze for a few seconds while the A380 landed. Im so glad i was working.

SPREE34

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:33 pm

Quoting RobK (Reply 17):
Are you two for real ?

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl  Probably shoved into the dumpster by the others kids one too many times in childhood.  duck 

Quoting Crownvic (Reply 3):

There's more to life than gas mileage.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

UnknownUser

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:34 pm

Quoting RobK (Reply 17):
Are you two for real ?

Well, gee. Only 1/6 of the pax are going to be able to see it. Another 1/6 will have to lean over to look out. Forget those in the aisle and then you've got the whole other side of the plane!

I don't get on an airplane to tour the airport, once I land, I want off!

UnknownUser

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:41 pm

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 20):
There's more to life than gas mileage.

Yeah, try saying that in 20 years...

access-air

Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Piss and moan all you want but there is no reason to citicise these pilots for this....If you were flying to see a sick family memeber, is YOUR life so important that you cant spare 15 minutes that would probably taken up in some other manner anyway waiting for some other delay possibly at your destination, like waiting for a taxi!!!!!!!!!!.....Obviously your opinion here is in the small minoirty..... Sad

I am NOT a fan of the A380 by any means but I would have appreciated it very much if the crew took the time to point this out to me.....There is too much automation and not enuff actual interaction between crew members and passengers. So this is was a good thing....Your attitude is selfcentered and trivial.....Get over it!!!

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

cpd

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:37 pm

On a United Airlines flight recently, (863) we pulled up almost beside a Singapore A380. The crew certainly let the passengers know about it. The reaction was just as I'd expected - the usual ooh's and ahh's.  Smile

But more interesting was the comment from one member of the cabin crew, who said straight faced and seriously:

"I can't wait until we get the A380"

n710ps

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:44 pm

Here here to the crew. If I were flying F/O on a flight with tat opertunity to do it I would certainly be willing to press the captain to take us a wee bit out of the way for it. Some people are a touch too uptight.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

deltaflyertoo

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:46 pm

Ha ha ha ha

Thought the same thing! In today's age where people don't know if they are on a MD-80 vs. a 737 vs. a 747, what connecting city they are going through, NOT excited about IFE and only care about price and miles, its hard for me to phantom anyone on those flights would care! Add to what Unknownuser is saying about pax time constraints when traveling, its kinda interesting. I'm sure only the pilots really cared.

nema

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:51 pm

Quoting UnknownUser (Reply 21):

This statement begs the question, why have you become a member on an airplane/airline/airport/airtravel enthusiasts site and post a reply like this.

Not so much that you want off, more the lack of understanding and acceptance of peoples wish to see, for probably the first time, a brand new airliner concept for real. It simply doesnt add up that you are on here.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

Tugger

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting NEMA (Reply 27):
This statement begs the question, why have you become a member on an airplane/airline/airport/airtravel enthusiasts site and post a reply like this.

Maybe he loves airplanes, the sounds, the smell of jet-A, airports, etc but is claustrophobic. That's about the only reason I can think of......

Tug
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

BlueShamu330s

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:06 pm

Makes me laff my a$$ off that some on here bemoan the fact that one or two pilot enthusiasts have taken a small detour to go past the A380, mainly citing the cost of fuel, but who will happily queue on board a B747 at KJFK behind 50 zillion RJs for over an hour waiting for departure with all 4 fans turning and burning.

I smell the whiff of jealousy and bad sportsmanship.

Shamu
Flying around India

SPREE34

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:13 pm

Quoting UnknownUser (Reply 22):
Yeah, try saying that in 20 years...

Time passes.......... old ........There's more to life than hydrogen mileage.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

JAGflyer

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:16 pm

The A380 is a well known new aircraft and most passengers probably might enjoy having a chance to see it. I am sure the flight was ahead of schedule or nearly on-time or else I doubt they would have done it.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

Doona

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:30 pm

Quoting Platinumfoota (Reply 7):
I spent a nice 5 minutes talking to a pilot about winglets in the cockpit a couple of days ago

Huh. I didn't know planes had winglets in the cockpit...  duck   wink 

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 30):
...There's more to life than hydrogen mileage.

rotfl 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

HAWK21M

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:32 pm

Im sure the Customer satisfaction will counter that excess fuel burn.
 Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

SaturnVRocket

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting ATAIndy (Reply 4):
I was wondering that myself, taxing takes a ton of fuel. What about the wasted time, how can an airline afford to take 15 odd minutes to plane spot while in an airplane?

As I was reading this topic I knew these replies were gonna be here. Some of you all are just so freakin predictable.

As far as passengers rioting and all, do we know that the plane pulled into the gate late? I can see MAYBE if they pulled into the gate late that might cause someone to get pissed, especially if they are travelling under time critical circumstances. But I highly doubt the pilots would taxi out of the way like that if they were going to run late; most likely they did it because they knew they had excess time, so if they still pulled into the gate at or before the scheduled arrival time then nobody can say shit.

LHFADUS

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:25 pm

On the A380s first visit to FRA our captain asked the tower for a taxiing route, which brings us past the bigbird. His request was granted, our captain made an announcement and she was certainly the center of attention while the passengers were deboarding later on.

RacingGreen07

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:28 pm

I personally believe this is a REALLY cool gesture by the pilots. Like someone in this thread had previously said "You only pay for a seat nowadays". The fact the pilots wanted to give something back to the passengers as well as some A380 eye candy to themselves is very nice!

Quoting RobK (Reply 17):

Are you two for real ?

They have a good point. I mean some people might of been anxious to get off. If the plane did pull into the gate then some people might have been annoyed.

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 23):
Piss and moan all you want but there is no reason to citicise these pilots for this....If you were flying to see a sick family memeber, is YOUR life so important that you cant spare 15 minutes that would probably taken up in some other manner anyway waiting for some other delay possibly at your destination, like waiting for a taxi!!!!!!!!!!.....Obviously your opinion here is in the small minoirty.....

Ok calm down with the exclamation marks. The sad truth is to some people 15 minutes mean alot. And it is a delay they can do without.

As long as passengers weren't inconvnienced and the majority of passengers were happy I say "Well done pilots"

I would personally be very happy if I was on that flight. I've only ever seen the A380 once and it would be cool to meet her again.
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

hangarrat

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:24 pm

Quoting Nema (Reply 16):
What an amazingly negative comment. Why would 'most' of the passengers be 'pissed off' and why would there be a riot. I assume that you are a member on this site because you are an airplane and flight enthusiast?

Quoting RobK (Reply 17):
Are you two for real ?

I'm serious as a heart attack.

First, note that I said "I can't imagine" how pissed off *other* passengers would be. I'd personally enjoy the chance to see something like that -- if I wasn't in a hurry.

The fact is that the VAST majority of people in the world see little difference between an airplane and Amtrak or Greyhound (maybe that's a stretch). People travel for all kinds of reasons including business, but the first thing on their mind is getting there, not planespotting. When I'm on vaction, I crane my neck out the window to see everthing I can, and as long as I don't have a close connection, a ride around the field can be a bonus.

However, several times a year I fly to another city to attend court hearings that begin early in the morning whether I'm there or not. Most of the time, I take the risk out of the equation by flying out the night before, but sometimes that doesn't work for me, so I fly the morning the court session starts.

Sometimes, the margin is smaller than I'd like and you'd better believe that I'd be firing a white hot complaint with a demand for compensation at the airline if I found out I missed my assignment because the captain had taxied 15 or 20 minutes out of his way to look at an airplane, even if it was the supersonic, seagoing, 1,200 passenger love child of the Spruce Goose and Concorde.

If you don't understand that point of view, you have a tenuous handle on reality.

A scenario I could get behind would be, say, Airbus brings the A380 to the local airport and the airport authority opens the gates over by the GA ramp for the public to come out on the tarmac and have a gander.

Never going to happen? It did once upon a time. I've got pictures somewhere of myself standing on the ramp at PHL under the wing of the An-225.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Tucker

RacingGreen07

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:38 pm

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 37):

Never going to happen? It did once upon a time. I've got pictures somewhere of myself standing on the ramp at PHL under the wing of the An-225.

We live in a post 9/11 world now. Security is intense. It would be VERY rare if this happened again....albeit it would be awesome.
A dream worth having is a dream worth pursuing- August Horch- Founder of Audi AG

ER757

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:46 pm

I agree - I've had conversations with several pilots over the years while in flight and upon arrival at destination prior to de-planing and they've always seemed enthusiastic when talking about the aircraft's performance and capabilities. The 1st time I flew on a 744, the pilot gave me a complete tour of the plane after landing. Took me into the cockpit, showed me the crew rest area, everything. It doesn't surprise me at all that they'd want to take a slight detour to show evryone on board the A380. Half of them probably wanted a look themselves!

mariner

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:16 pm

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 37):
I take the risk out of the equation by flying out the night before, but sometimes that doesn't work for me, so I fly the morning the court session starts.

So you accept that your tight schedule incorporates risk.

You could be delayed by any number of things, weather, mx, flight cancelled or delayed, long lines, TSA, a person having a meltdown with a CSA, getting bumped, late arrival of an aircraft, or because some crazy called the airport with a bomb threat. It's quite a long list.

Or - you could be delayed because, as at Qantas, airline check-in staff went to help a dying woman. Would you be demanding compensation from the airline?

Happily, this small delay - if there was much of one - was caused by something which was obviously of interest to a number of people. In such circumstances, I think their pleasure trumps your risky scheduling.

mariner
aeternum nauta

PiedmontINT

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting SaturnVRocket (Reply 34):
But I highly doubt the pilots would taxi out of the way like that if they were going to run late; most likely they did it because they knew they had excess time, so if they still pulled into the gate at or before the scheduled arrival time then nobody can say shit.

My thoughts exactly. And who's to say they were early enough that they would have had to wait for a gate to open up anyway? Would you rather take 10 minutes to check out a marvel of modern engineering or watch the rampers throw bags and drive around in their baggage carts? I'd take the former, thanks.

Scooter01

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:26 pm

I was once on a Chalk's Mallard one afternoon in the early '80s that after a water take-off from Bimini to Miami, turned south and flew over the southern approach-area for the real airport, then we circled a Beech 18.

-What was so special about the Beech?
It was in 6-8 feet of water, crashed there during the night on an apparent drug-run, coming in un-announced with no lights on and was discovered (with a dead pilot still strapped in his seat) only after daylight broke by another pilot.

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

dugong

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:54 pm

In 1974 I saw, for one time only, the Concorde parked at Orly (I think) from the window of a Dan Air Comet (4?) - it was a very long time ago. I also remember at an air show in Scotland in 1964 (I vaguely remember) where a V Bomber or somesuch flew overhead low with a Concorde engine strapped to one wing. Two years ago I watched with awe as the A380 touched down here in Brisbane for the first time. Whilst not a true aviation fanatic I would have appreciated a slight detour to observe this magnificent testimony to current aviation history 'in the flesh'. I wonder how many young minds had a memory impressed into their head on this day that will last a life time? Good on ya Crew!

hangarrat

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 40):
You could be delayed by any number of things, weather, mx, flight cancelled or delayed, long lines, TSA, a person having a meltdown with a CSA, getting bumped, late arrival of an aircraft, or because some crazy called the airport with a bomb threat. It's quite a long list.

Sure. But, who needs another when it's completely avoidable.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 40):
Or - you could be delayed because, as at Qantas, airline check-in staff went to help a dying woman. Would you be demanding compensation from the airline?

Negative. I'm a rational being able to tell when something is beyond the control of an airline and its staff.

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 41):
And who's to say they were early enough that they would have had to wait for a gate to open up anyway?

That's an if. Also, try explaining that to the businessman on his way to a meeting or the roadwarrior coming home from a two-week slog. All they want is to get off the plane, and as I explained above, there are only a few circumstances when I'd be okay with it.

jetmech

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:08 am

I can only imagine how fine and dandy it would have been for both of you if the A380 was made by Boeing, or if the detour was made to see a B787.

JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

speedbird2263

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting NEMA (Reply 27):
Not so much that you want off, more the lack of understanding and acceptance of peoples wish to see, for probably the first time, a brand new airliner concept for real. It simply doesnt add up that you are on here.

I was thinking the same thing too mate.  scratchchin 
Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

threepoint

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:29 am

Oh get over yourself. I just flew home when my Mom became very very ill and the inherent delays in air travel were the least of my concerns. It takes what it takes timewise, and we all factor that in before we depart.

I'll be willing to bet the planes in question were early and still made the gate in their assigned block time.

Oh, how little you understand the average traveler. You'd be surprised how many people are captivated to some degree by airplanes. Air travel, less so, but airplanes definitely.

Quoting Deltaflyertoo (Reply 26):
I'm sure only the pilots really cared.

I'm sure you're dead wrong. I bet there were only a few people on that flight who weren't interested.

Quoting UnknownUser (Reply 21):

Ah, so you're one of those twats who leap up the moment the seatbelt light goes off, grabs your bag and stands in the aisle with your head cocked sideways, leaning over the seated passengers in your haste to be the first off the plane, hoping against all reason that because you're standing up, the door will somehow open just that little bit sooner. Hey, you've been sitting the duration of the flight - sit for an extra two minutes. It won't kill you and the rest of us will stop writing you off as an impatient buffoon.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

mariner

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 44):
Sure. But, who needs another when it's completely avoidable.

Let's see - this has happened, maybe, once in - oh, I dunno - thirty years? Forty years? Fifty years?

It's not exactly a regular occurrence.

mariner
aeternum nauta

hangarrat

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:35 am

Quoting NEMA (Reply 27):
It simply doesnt add up that you are on here.

Quoting Speedbird2263 (Reply 46):
I was thinking the same thing too mate.

I'm not saying I wouldn't appreciate a close up view of a wonderful (but ugly) aircraft, but I would never be so arrogant as to assume that the other 149 people on the plane with me would too.

If you have the time to planespot, then take your rental car around the perimeter road and look from there.

Or, ask the guy driving the hotel shuttle if he'd mind hanging out on the shoulder for a while so you can take some pictures. Let me know how that works out.

[edited Re: the post below]

The original poster's story doesn't quite hold water anyway. I'm going to call shennanigans.

[Edited 2007-11-15 16:47:05]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos