Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Thorben

RE: Airbus Ground Test Accident

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 43):
Damn thats going to be expensive to fix

Yeah, like US$210m for a new one.

List price, yes. But the true production costs are a lot lower than that. Anyway, that is what the insurance is for.

Edit: Here is the front section:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p217/Thorben81/346110.jpg

[Edited 2007-11-15 13:25:03]
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

moo

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:22 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 49):
Holy God....

Link - http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/11/30/8...0.jpg

Christ! They were *lucky*!

boacvc10

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:24 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 38):
Is the forward section inside the buidling, or gone altogether?

I'm stunned and sad. That aircraft wanted to do what it was designed to do, and fly! (The colour scheme of EY and the graceful raked wing tips, helped in my imagination, ok ? Anybody should be able see that !). I'm glad the flight deck crew got away just in time, I hope. The picture of the manged remains of flight deck of the A/C is shown clearly in Post #8 of the thread in this website

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 45):
Ok, a question.....

Why was a full power run being done facing a blast wall?

Logic dictates the blast wall is to the rear and to the front there is clear space, at least in every run bay or facility I've seen.

My thoughts exactly!

BOACVC10
Up, up and Away!

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:32 pm

Isnt it amazing that this would probably be write off number #9 for the A330/340 programme -

(one A340 scrapped, one A340 blown up, one A340 destroyed by fire, two A340s (probably) by a runway overrruns in bad weather, and then this one, plus two A330s blown up, one A330 lost in testing, one A330 scrapped due to damage - not a single one could you attribute to the plane all were purely accidental)

- and yet the 777 which has sold considerably more than both combined hasnt suffered a single hull loss?

Amazing really when you think about it.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

s.p.a.s.

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:38 pm

Holy crap...

[I deleted the image, was posted before]

But, holy crap indeed...

Cheers

RS

[Edited 2007-11-15 13:40:12]
"ad astra per aspera"

iflyac

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:41 pm

The image of that poor A346 is enough to make a grown man cry.

Hard to believe that nobody died, but I am happy to hear everyone will be okay.
What was it we had for dinner tonight? Well, we had a choice of steak or fish. Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna.

MD80Nut

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:51 pm

Thank God no fatalities, it could have been worst from the look of it.

To paraphrase Monty Python's Flying Circus, "This is an Ex-A340-600!"  smile 

Cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:53 pm

Anyone know if this is the third or fourth EY A346?

Also do they still have their lone A343?
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

scouseflyer

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 53):
and yet the 777 which has sold considerably more than both combined hasnt suffered a single hull loss?

The Varig one was scrapped but iI guess we're not counting that as a hull loss?

platinumfoota

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:55 pm

Hope everything turns out well for the employees involve and their families. Im just wondering, how much distance did the aircraft travel after it jumped the chocks? The impact looks really bad.
Never forget United 93

KL808

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 57):
Anyone know if this is the third or fourth EY A346?

Third.

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:57 pm

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 37):
Its amazing the power in the engines on that large bird; once spooled up and the plane broke free, there was probably nothing anyone could have done except hold on.

How about throttling back, cutting off the fuel, using the reversers or even putting on the brakes?

There is a lot more to this accident than we know right now.

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting Scouseflyer (Reply 58):
and yet the 777 which has sold considerably more than both combined hasnt suffered a single hull loss?

Was it? I didnt know she'd been parted out already.

In that case we shouldnt count the ex-BWIA A343 that got bent slightly whilst with VS but soldiered on until she was RTL'ed by BWIA and it came up to D-Check time - I heard she went to A340 Heaven in the knackers yard in the US last month.

So thats eight lost in accidents not nine - sorry. My mistake.

KL808

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:00 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 61):
How about throttling back, cutting off the fuel, using the reversers or even putting on the brakes?

What do you think the braking distance of such a plane would have?

I think no matter what they did, the wall was inevitable.

Drew
AMS-LAX-MNL

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 61):
Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 37):
Its amazing the power in the engines on that large bird; once spooled up and the plane broke free, there was probably nothing anyone could have done except hold on.

There is a lot more to this accident than we know right now.

Would an Engineer team even know how to do that?

I would think as soon as the plane leaps over the chocks and barrels towards the (very, very high) concrete wall the average person would peg it out of the cockpit fairly smartly lest he/she become a permanant part of the plane.

Thats if they hadnt sparked themselves out on the bulkhead wall when the plane crashed over the chocks - that must have been a hell of a bang as well.

Aither

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:03 pm

Aparently one engine was still running tonight, they have difficulties to turn it off.

3 persons seem to suffer heavy injuries  Sad

[Edited 2007-11-15 14:05:44]
Never trust the obvious

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:06 pm

Quoting Aither (Reply 65):
Aparently one engine was still running tonight, they have difficulties to turn it off.

I imagine the controls would be a little hard to find. Probably a case of turning off the fuel pumps and letting it flame out? All that foam around - I wouldnt want to be nearby if the foam went in the running engine (which would write it off anyway) and caused a compressor stall! BANG!!!

philzh

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting Iflyac (Reply 55):
The image of that poor A346 is enough to make a grown man cry.

Yep. Having drunk two glasses of red does not help.

It's just really sad to see such a beauty go so senselessly.

As a complete ignoramus, I really wonder: how in *[email protected]#s name can anything like this happen?! Aren't they aware of the forces those engines will deliver? I mean, they built the thing, didn't they?

jawake

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting IAD787 (Reply 12):
PICTURE OF THE ACCIDENT:

Wow, thanks IAD787 for the info. Hope everyone is ok.

Any idea what the price is on this A340-600? Just a guess. How much of a loss are we talking here?

BlueSkys

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:10 pm

How do you wheel brake an a340, do they have toe brakes on the rudder pedals?

rampkontroler

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:16 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 25):
know they replaced the whole front fuselage section and nose on that E170 a while back and she flew again but this is a much bigger job

It hasn't flown yet, but it's getting close:

http://www.opshots.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-5772

I haven't actually seen it for a month or so, as the hangar doors have been closed, but it should be soon.

As for this Airbus...what a shame. Hate to see a good plane ruined. Glad no one was critically injured.

NZ107

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:22 pm

Quoting Eha (Reply 1):
the A340-600 for Etihad, hit a concrete wall

At first thought of hitting a concrete wall, it sounded like a vertical wall and the nose was only crumpled. It nearly went over the top of it.. Far out one lucky group of people...

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 35):
I wonder how soon Airbus can replace the airframe given how backed up the A330/340 line is?

If Boeing speed up the 77W line, I wonder how long it'll take for CX to dispose of their A346 fleet.. But it is after all Airbus' problem..
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

ikramerica

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:22 pm

Looking at the pics, it seems the plane ran up the concrete ramp then smashed through a wood/metal sound wall on top. It's hard to tell, but most of the fuselage seems to have no visible cracking or buckling (up until the front sections cracked and sheared off), but the stresses of how it's resting on the ground might be doing damage now.

But considering where the plane is (at an Airbus facility) I would assume that it is fixable by replacing the entire front section ahead of the wingbox with new parts. And even if the left wing needs to be replaced as well, there is no way that would cost more than replacing an entire plane. Further, Airbus would be repairing it at their cost, versus an after EIS incident, where there are middle men and markups and repair facilities involved. The cost to Airbus to fix this plane are much lower than the cost to IB to fix their plane most likely (and that's if they could even do it, which they can't).

Quoting AR385 (Reply 41):
Correct, IB, insurance people are still deciding at UIO today. The Etihad plane seems pretty much a goner though.

That plane is likely scrapped because there's no way to fix it where it is and move it to a new airport in it's state. Damage wise, it's less than this bird for sure, but logistically, it's a goner.

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 45):
Why was a full power run being done facing a blast wall?

Interesting question. Unless it was not that close to where it hit, running the test against another wall, and traveled a distance to hit this wall...

Quoting BOACVC10 (Reply 52):
That aircraft wanted to do what it was designed to do, and fly!

You sound like Dennis Hopper in Speed. "A bomb wants to be."
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

tepidhalibut

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:25 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 66):
I imagine the controls would be a little hard to find. Probably a case of turning off the fuel pumps and letting it flame out?

Possibly not as easy as you make out.
The fuel pumps on the engine are driven mechanically, and can usually cope with the aircraft pumps being u/s (suction feed). Obviously there's an electrical fuel shut-off cock, and that is wired up to the cockpit. Or would be...

BritPilot777

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:25 pm

Blimey that picture of the nose section hanging off the wall sends a shiver down my spine! Very scary indeed and after seeing that picture I think it's quite obvious to see that the aircraft will be a write off. Glad everyone seems to be ok though!

BritPilot777
Forever Flight

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:26 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 72):
Looking at the pics, it seems the plane ran up the concrete ramp then smashed through a wood/metal sound wall on top. It's hard to tell, but most of the fuselage seems to have no visible cracking or buckling (up until the front sections cracked and sheared off), but the stresses of how it's resting on the ground might be doing damage now.

But considering where the plane is (at an Airbus facility) I would assume that it is fixable by replacing the entire front section ahead of the wingbox with new parts. And even if the left wing needs to be replaced as well, there is no way that would cost more than replacing an entire plane. Further, Airbus would be repairing it at their cost, versus an after EIS incident, where there are middle men and markups and repair facilities involved. The cost to Airbus to fix this plane are much lower than the cost to IB to fix their plane most likely (and that's if they could even do it, which they can't).

Thing is, would EY accept a cut n' shut plane?

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting TepidHalibut (Reply 73):
Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 66):
I imagine the controls would be a little hard to find. Probably a case of turning off the fuel pumps and letting it flame out?

Possibly not as easy as you make out.
The fuel pumps on the engine are driven mechanically, and can usually cope with the aircraft pumps being u/s (suction feed). Obviously there's an electrical fuel shut-off cock, and that is wired up to the cockpit. Or would be...

Hmmmm.

So what, do they just let it run until it flames out?

moo

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:31 pm

The problem is, where and when would Airbus do it?

They would have to:

1. Get the aircraft into a bay
2. Strip the airframe of any volatiles
3. Strip any salvageable parts from the damaged sections
4. Remove the control systems, wiring and other things that would bridge fuselage sections
5. Remove the damaged sections
6. Replace the front section with new
7. Replace wings with new
8. Repair tail, landing gear and other items which could be replaced
9. Replace internals with salvaged or new
10. Repaint
11. Refit cabin

Fair enough, it may not cost as much as a new aircraft in monetary terms, but while they are doing that they aren't working on a new aircraft for someone else - that's a production series number that gets bumped to repair this one.

Also the parts we are talking about here are not short term order parts - they have fairly long lead times, which means either this repair doesn't get done for a while or they bump another airframe for its parts...

I just don't see it happening unfortunately :/

NZ107

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 76):
So what, do they just let it run until it flames out?

I wonder if they could flood the engine with foam.. Guess they wouldn't want to try that in case they got sucked in.. Man alive that would be a long time left running till it stops..

Quoting Moo (Reply 77):
The problem is, where and when would Airbus do it?

Precisely why he said that the plane is most likely to be scrapped..
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

BlueShamu330s

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 78):
I wonder if they could flood the engine with foam

Although novel, I think the suggestion is that once established there is no fire risk, is it better and more economical to let the donkey run until the point of fuel starvation and save the engine, than it would be to foam it, thus saving the fuel on board but writing the engine off as an insurance loss.

If they really are leaving it to run, it re-inforces the value and cost of those powerplants.
Flying around India

moo

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:42 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 78):

Precisely why he said that the plane is most likely to be scrapped..

He seems to be talking about the IB aircraft when he says that, not this Etihad one.

Aither

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:51 pm

An Airbus spokeperson said tonight the Aircraft is not repairable.
Maybe the cabin could be used for training.

It was reported on the news that out of the 3 badly injured, one was on the ground, and 7/9 on board were people from Etihad.

[Edited 2007-11-15 14:51:53]

[Edited 2007-11-15 14:53:21]
Never trust the obvious

ikramerica

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 75):
Thing is, would EY accept a cut n' shut plane?

If the entire front section is replaced with new, as is the entire left wing, and 3 of the engines, I don't see why not. Every plane is theoretically the same, it's not like it would be heavier, less sound, less safe or less capable, or that it would be using old or used parts. Everything would still be new build.

But I'm not EY. They may say no, in which case the plane would be scrapped and parts used for other planes (though I'm sure the seats and such would be reused by EY in the next frame.)

But it would depend on the time involved to fix it versus build a new one from scratch. If it would take 2+ years to get a new one vs. 1 year to get this one fixed, if EY needs the lift...

Quoting Moo (Reply 77):
Fair enough, it may not cost as much as a new aircraft in monetary terms, but while they are doing that they aren't working on a new aircraft for someone else - that's a production series number that gets bumped to repair this one.

That's true. It won't be without hassle. But I think it's far more doable considering where it happened (at Airbus) and when it happened (pre-delivery).

Now luckily it didn't happen in July, as nobody is going to give up their August vacations to help. But if they get the logistics sorted out by January, I imagine they could fix it.

Again, that's assuming that the only major fuselage damage is ahead of the

litz

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:55 pm

Y'all remember the World DC-10 overrun? Same thing happened ... cockpit sheared off and the tail engine continued to run (the wing engines snuffed out from debris).

No controls, obviously, due to the sheared off cockpit, it continued to run clear through the rescue process with firefighters shooting water into it trying to snuff it ... finally, it started surging and eventually shut itself down.

- litz

zeke

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:58 pm

Isnt it amazing that this would probably be write off number #9 for the A330/340 programme -

I think this frame will be written off, but it will not be a hull loss accident, as it did not occur in connection with a flight. The Iberia aircraft I think will return to service, IMHO the damage looks worse than what it is on that.

Quoting BlueSkys (Reply 69):
How do you wheel brake an a340, do they have toe brakes on the rudder pedals?

For engine run ups, the park brake is used, however we have a limit on the EPR we can use for a static test for normal operations as the brake is not designed to used again full thrust on all engines. During an aircraft hand over, numerous test are performed which are outside what is normal.

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 71):
I wonder how long it'll take for CX to dispose of their A346 fleet.

Q3 next year the current aircraft will go back to their lessor, but that may not be the last we see the type in the fleet.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:58 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 82):
I imagine they could fix it.

Respectfully i think thats a wildly optimistic assessment.

I'm off to bed.

Night all.

BritPilot777

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:00 pm

Does anyone know if any part of the A346 fuselage is made from from composites?

BritPilot777
Forever Flight

Viscount724

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 62):

Was it? I didnt know she'd been parted out already.

I keep hearing reports about this ex-RG 777 being parted out but have never seen any photos. This seems strange since it would be hard to do a job like that indoors. Does anyone have a link to photos of that 777 being parted out, or is it still intact?

Aither

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:04 pm

Quoting BritPilot777 (Reply 86):
Does anyone know if any part of the A346 fuselage is made from from composites?

Most of the parts are composites... you have to be more specific.
Never trust the obvious

MadameConcorde

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:14 pm

This is terribly sad...  crying 

Does anybody know the names of the test pilots/cockpit crew members?
Was there anybody else on board besides the cockpit crew?

My thoughts and prayers are going to all those who were injured in this accident.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

ikramerica

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 85):
Respectfully i think thats a wildly optimistic assessment.

I respect your opinion. It's too soon to tell. But from other pictures of accidents I've seen, compared to this one, I just don't see the buckling in the fuselage that I've seen in those, buckling that was even visible from afar as ripples in the skin.

na

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:29 pm

This one won´t fly. At least not in one piece. I would expect that things like the tailfin and horizontal stabilisers will most likely be used on a future Etihad A346.
I still think the IB A346 has a chance though.

- and yet the 777 which has sold considerably more than both combined hasnt suffered a single hull loss?

Yeah, the Triple Seven has been damn´ lucky, but has had far more than its fair share of luck if you ask me. No flooded runway mishap, no hurricane, no pilot error, no fire, nothing. Very unusual. Knock on wood.

concentriq

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:32 pm

Searched this forum... I guess I somehow missed IB incident discussion. Could anyone point?

--------------------------------
Never mind....
IB A340-600 Skids Off The RWY At Quito/UIO (by Tomascubero Nov 9 2007 in Civil Aviation)

It was right under my nose the entire time...

Sorry for troubles...

[Edited 2007-11-15 15:34:26]
Mobilis In Mobili

ikramerica

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:34 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 91):
Yeah, the Triple Seven has been damn´ lucky, but has had far more than its fair share of luck if you ask me. No flooded runway mishap, no hurricane, no pilot error, no fire, nothing. Very unusual. Knock on wood.

Yep. Let's not even think about it. Statistically, it's due for something bad to happen. But luckily, statistics don't care about "due" or the past, so the odds of it being involved on any given day dont' increase just because it hasn't happen yet. It's not like opening 1000 doors until you find the tiger. Each day you fly, there are always 1000 unopened doors...

JRadier

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 91):
This one won´t fly.

I wouldn't say that. If the wing section is still good and you 'only' have to replace the front sections and some damage aft this bird might fly again.

speedbird2263

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting A342 (Reply 17):
That photo is just sick!

Thats what i thought too  Sad Gave me the creeps actually. Prayers go out for all those that were injured.

I can imagine in my minds eye how that could possibly have happened at its disturbing.
Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

jetjeanes

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:47 pm

That think is a complete write off. Its snapped way behind the cockpit... Im sure they can use some for spares
i can see for 80 miles

kaitak

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 84):
I think this frame will be written off, but it will not be a hull loss accident, as it did not occur in connection with a flight. The Iberia aircraft I think will return to service, IMHO the damage looks worse than what it is on that.

I didn't think it had to be an accident, but it's still a hull loss; I mean, that's it, curtains as far as this aircraft is concerned, regardless of whether it's an accident in flight, hangar fire, etc.

I can only imagine that rather sheepish calls are being made by Airbus to EY. How do you make a call like that ... "you know that new aircraft you wanted delivered next week ... there may be a slight problem ..."

Quoting Zeke (Reply 84):
The Iberia aircraft I think will return to service, IMHO the damage looks worse than what it is on that.

The problem there is where they can move it too; apparently, there is damage to the wing box, which would make things more difficult and then, of course, there's the difficulty in getting cranes to where it is now; won't they sink into the mud/grass ... that airplane is going to need a lot of lifting power. Personally, I think it's a goner too.

A5XX

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:01 am

I guess Etihad won't be taking this A340-600... after all..   

Agreed.    This A340 will likely become the first Frankenstein A340-600, with a zipper somewhere on the fuselage.  Wow!  Wow!

That plane is likely scrapped because there's no way to fix it where it is and move it to a new airport in it's state. Damage wise, it's less than this bird for sure, but logistically, it's a goner.

Agreed! And Airbus might buy the IB A340, for parts, to help patch the Etihad A340, and return it to flying status... at a greatly reduced price   (not saying Etihad will want it though)

Does anyone know, here, if the A340 nose fuselage could be carried in an AN 225? I think it may be too big.. anyway..  

[Edited 2007-11-15 16:04:35]
we are the boeing... resistance is futile...You will be assimilated

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting KL808 (Reply 63):
What do you think the braking distance of such a plane would have?

The braking distance is really not a factor. When the aircraft jumped the chocks, the crew performing the engine run should have made every effort to get the aircraft stopped immediately. For some reason, either they did not take this action or they did and the aircraft did not respond. So like I said there is a lot more to this accident than what we know at this time. Was the crew to blame, was the aircraft at fault or a combination of the two?

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 64):
Would an Engineer team even know how to do that?

Yes, some engineers (mechanics) are certified to do engines runs. Mechanics can even taxi aircraft so they know how to stop the aircraft in an emergency.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos