WarRI1
Topic Author

FAA Airport Designations

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:11 am

Is there any source of information that I can access to get a list of the FAA designations? I am not familiar with too many of them.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

pilotboi

RE: FAA Airport Designations

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:24 am

Wow, surprised no one has answered this one yet. Pretty easy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_the_United_States

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 1):

Thanks for the quick help.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

graphic

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 1):

Wikipedia isn't really the most complete list. Best bet may just be to go out and buy the A/FD's or something.
Demand Media fails at life

iowaman

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:08 am

Just type in the town and state and airnav will bring up results usually:

http://www.airnav.com/airports/

pilotboi

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting Graphic (Reply 3):
Wikipedia isn't really the most complete list. Best bet may just be to go out and buy the A/FD's or something.

I figured he didn't need every single one in the whole world. By the way he asked, seems like he was just looking for major ones. Also, if you buy an AF/D it'll only list the airports in the region that you bought. And why spend $4-5 when you can get it for free? :-P

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 4):
http://www.airnav.com/airports/

AirNav is another great source for this.

AirframeAS

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting Graphic (Reply 3):
Wikipedia isn't really the most complete list.

Nor is it accurate, if ever. I never use Wiki.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

eghansen

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:20 am

http://www.mapping.com/airportcodes.html

or

http://worldaerodata.com/

Incidently, there is no such thing as FAA airport codes. Don't exist. Sorry.

The four letter codes such as KBOS are ICAO and are international. Heathrow is EGLL and Narita is RJAA, for example.

The three letter codes such as BOS listed in the wikipedia are IATA and are international. Heathrow is LHR and Narita is NRT. Be careful with Wikipedia. It is often written by people who do not know what they are talking about.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

eghansen

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:36 am

Sorry I misspoke. There are FAA codes which are mostly the same as the IATA codes. Except outside the USA where they are only IATA codes. And some places where there are FAA codes that are duplicates of IATA codes, namely a small GA airport in the US might have the same three-letter code as a commercial airport in Europe. But the airline reservation systems use only the IATA codes because the IATA represents the airlines. Hope this is clear.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

sccutler

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:53 am

...and many have no IATA code at all, like (f'r'instance) T82, or 52F, two of my favorite airports.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

pilotboi

Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 7):
Incidently, there is no such thing as FAA airport codes. Don't exist. Sorry.

This is actually incorrect. IATA and ICAO are both international organizations, therefore they do not identify most smaller airports in the US. So FAA does it.

See: http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/lid/CH1.htm#1-2-1

Here's an clip from that page: "The Federal Aviation Administration assigns three-letter identifiers (except those beginning with the letters N, W, Y, and Z), three and four character identifiers, and five-letter name codes for the United States and its jurisdictions."

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 9):
...and many have no IATA code at all, like (f'r'instance) T82, or 52F, two of my favorite airports.

These are examples of FAA identifiers, and more precisely, airports that ONLY have an FAA id. They are not 'recognized' by the IATA and ICAO, so the FAA has to give them at least a national ID.

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Location_identifier.

If you look up any major US airport on Wikipedia, you'll notice in the infobox (on the right) has three identifiers: ICAO, IATA, and FAA LID. Also, if you check out any airport on AirNav, the first item listed is FAA identifier.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 6):
Nor is it accurate, if ever. I never use Wiki.

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 7):
Be careful with Wikipedia. It is often written by people who do not know what they are talking about.

The lists of airports and identifiers are almost 100% accurate. Unless something has JUST change, and I mean within the past 24 hours, it should be up to date. We have projects where certain people watch these things and make sure that they stay accurate and also don't get vandalized. If you see something that you know is wrong, correct it! Also - check resources and links at the bottom of the page. Don't bash it unless you know what goes on behind the scenes. That's all I'm getting at. Also remember: any other personal website can be written by anyone as well - so who says you can trust those? Of course you can trust official websites, but they still have mistakes sometimes.

PanAm747

Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:54 pm

You can also use the Great Circle Mapper page:

http://gc.kls2.com

Both the code and the city can be typed in. I use it frequently for the codes that the a.net system doesn't recognize. It also includes a link the google satellite images - cool stuff!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

AirframeAS

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:26 pm

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 10):
The lists of airports and identifiers are almost 100% accurate. Unless something has JUST change, and I mean within the past 24 hours, it should be up to date.

I was talking about in general. I NEVER use Wiki for any reason whatsoever. You never know whats accurate and what is not.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos