kaitak
Topic Author

RE: The 51st Is Flying: The New Irish Aviation Thread.

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting EireRock (Reply 49):
Hello All, another virgin Anetter here and like a lot of Irish newbies recently i have been reading these threads for the past year and a half. I had been planning to join for months and just never got around to it. Anyway im looking forward to giving my thoughts and opinions on the past, present and future state of Irish Aviation. Thanks for the great entertainment over the past year an a half, long may it continue!

You're very welcome, EireRock; good to have you on board!

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 44):
As far as I know, 16/34 is still in use and will be for the foreseeable future. I have not heard anything about it being closed. It may not be the most used piece of asphalt at the airport, but it is still required. If I'm not mistaken, it was re-surfaced not too long ago (within last two years?) and the navaids and approach lighting were improved also.

This is my understanding too; I recall someone saying, a few threads back, that due to changes in weather patterns, 16/34 might be needed more rather than less in the future.

EI looking at YYZ route: not before time!

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/s...s=themarket-qqqid=28287-qqqx=1.asp

Wonder will they do an interline deal, a la JetBlue, with Canadian domestic carrier (i.e. WestJet).

[Edited 2007-11-17 21:50:30]

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:31 am

Welcome on board. Hope you will enjoy your time here with us.

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 45):
Can we please move these threads to the "Aviation Hobby" forum????

Why??

Quoting OA260 (Reply 48):
They wont need those FR planes now .

And that is really great. Would hate to see FR planes on EIs routes.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 50):
EI looking at YYZ route:

That is really great news. But the article says in about 1-2 years the will start this service. Really long time.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BrianDromey

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 50):
EI looking at YYZ route: not before time!

Pehaps they are looking to swap DXB for YYZ? To be honest, I cant really see the need to increase frequencies on the vast majority of the long-haul network. Definately not on the three new routes, with the possible exception of bringing SFO to 6/week or daily. Right now load factors have been on a downward trend since around the intorduction of DXB, and with the US dollar the way it is, new routes to Canada might bring a more balanced PAX origin than the US currently can.

EI have committed to SNN-JFK/BOS and SNN-DUB-ORD for the summer 2008, right? If EI needs to increase the capacity offered out of DUB then thye might eb able to route the aircraft through to DUB via SNN.

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 44):
Finally, (and I don't mean to pick on you... but), you might want to lay off the VATSIM stuff here as it is not meant to be discussed in the Civil forum, but rather the Hobby one.

I think in the context Alex was discussing it, it was fair enough. We were talking about runway and approach directions. Very interesting that you mentioned the Hobby forum and then someone suggests moving to the Hobby forum two posts later. Likely to be the same type of person who thinks "Boeing = Can do no wrong ; Airbus = Spawn of the Devil"

Brian.

shamrock350

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:53 am

Good to hear about EI looking at YYZ, I'm sure many people will be pleased with that route.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 51):
That is really great news. But the article says in about 1-2 years the will start this service. Really long time.

Well we wont see any new long-haul routes from DUB for year because Aer Lingus have already added their contribution to the trans-atlantic bloodbath for next year and they want to concentrate on short-haul. Aer Lingus till have to expand the short-haul fleet to 42 aircraft and then there's the possibility of new bases after BFS. Any new routes announced wont be until late 2008 and into 2009.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 42):
I hear they are dropping the Shamrock and putting the letters ''SIPTU'' on the tail LOL....

Perfect!

Aer Lingus landing at take off at PXO video,

I think this is PXO so it must have been a diversion. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos and videos of EI at FNC.

Welcome EireRock! Always good to see new members on the Irish threads.

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:24 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 53):
Well we wont see any new long-haul routes from DUB for year because Aer Lingus have already added their contribution to the trans-atlantic bloodbath for next year and they want to concentrate on short-haul.

That is true. So we have to wait until late 2008 before we see any new long-haul expansion.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 52):
I cant really see the need to increase frequencies on the vast majority of the long-haul network. Definately not on the three new routes, with the possible exception of bringing SFO to 6/week or daily

Why not??? I thought that the SFO route was doing really good.

Aer Lingus landing at take off at PXO video,

Really nice video.
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock350

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:48 am

SFO will go daily because EI want to get business passengers on the route and DM said you can only do successfully that daily flights. I'm not how full economy would be every day though.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 54):
So we have to wait until late 2008 before we see any new long-haul expansion.

We could see some long-haul expansion from BFS and maybe ORK but according to what EI have said there wont be any from DUB until late 2008.

We can look forward to more A320s, more short and medium-haul routes and new bases.

OA260

Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:24 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing more photos and videos of EI at FNC.

Nice video Shamrock350, FNC is a cool airport . I was in Madeira last year and its a really nice place to visit. Its nice to see EI there.

Hello All, another virgin Anetter here and like a lot of Irish newbies recently i have been reading these threads for the past year and a half. I had been planning to join for months and just never got around to it.

Welcome EireRock.

Nice to see EI looking at YYZ. We need a link there year round. AC has only had a half hearted approach to DUB over the last two years.

EireRock

Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks for all the kind welcome's guys.

Its great to see YYZ mentioned as a future destination, long overdue IMO, i for one would definitley be taking a trip to Toronto if that comes to the fore.

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:15 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 55):
SFO will go daily because EI want to get business passengers on the route and DM said you can only do successfully that daily flights.

Okey, I see. Thought they would go daily because of the demand.

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 55):
We can look forward to more A320s, more short and medium-haul routes and new bases.

Hope they can serve ARN.
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock604

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:42 pm

There are no plans to close RWY 16/34. It may not be used often, but if it were closed, the only cross wind runway remaining at a major Irish airport would be ORK's main runway, and the short cross runway at BFS.

Regarding YYZ.. interesting and surprising news given the expansion of frequencies to SFO, IAD for next year. Even with DXB gone, where does the capacity come from until 2009 when the new 330's start arriving?

BrianDromey

Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Why not??? I thought that the SFO route was doing really good.

This is my point, from the noises EI ahve made, I would expect SFO to go daily, but the LF on the rest of the LH network is dropping, suggesting that new destinations have canabalised some, but by no means all, the demand for connecting traffic, etc. So what would be the point of more frequencies, JFK already has 3x EI fligths, BOS two and ORD one, add two daily flights to the West coast, competition from DL, CO, et al, a weak US dollar and softening US economy, Canada certainly seems a more fruitful, less mature market, with less competition.

Rather like DXB really.....both should be money makers, but EI, for some bizzare reason seems not to do well on Long Hual ops other than to the US.

Brian.

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 60):
for some bizzare reason seems not to do well on Long Hual ops other than to the US.

That is actually true but really strange.
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock604

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:46 pm

Rather like DXB really.....both should be money makers, but EI, for some bizzare reason seems not to do well on Long Hual ops other than to the US.

It was their own fault I think Brian, it was a half hearted effort. I hope any future Asian Service is launched with a bit more hype, and a bit more thought!

COEI2007

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:48 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 52):
I cant really see the need to increase frequencies on the vast majority of the long-haul network. Definately not on the three new routes, with the possible exception of bringing SFO to 6/week or daily

MCO is apparently doing well, but I doubt it will be increased further than the current 3x weekly. IAD is expected to do well, particularly in J due to business ties with the Washington area and Ireland

This is my point, from the noises EI ahve made, I would expect SFO to go daily, but the LF on the rest of the LH network is dropping, suggesting that new destinations have canabalised some, but by no means all, the demand for connecting traffic, etc. So what would be the point of more frequencies, JFK already has 3x EI fligths, BOS two and ORD one, add two daily flights to the West coast, competition from DL, CO, et al, a weak US dollar and softening US economy, Canada certainly seems a more fruitful, less mature market, with less competition.

Well, JFK has 2 ex DUB and 1 ex SNN. An early morning and a late afternoon departure, so thats hardly overkill for New York. BOS at 2x daily isnt that much either as the 133 routes via SNN. I dont think the new routes will canabalise other routes that much. I know that DL's DUB-ATL used to be filled with pax bound for MCO, so if anything, i'd say the new routes are hurting DL, CO and AA.

LF on longhaul dropped due to competition from DL, CO and AA. DL has daily JFK and ATL and CO has gone to 2x daily EWR.I think EI are working on building better relationships with the travel industry, as a lot of travel agents/tour operators would book pax on DL, CO and AA before EI. Getting the travel industry on side should help improve things.

EI made a half hearted effort with DXB. But even if they had went all out on the route, they may not have made money, without some sort of EK alliance to feed pax to Asia/Australia etc.

OA260

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:19 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 63):
IAD is expected to do well, particularly in J due to business ties with the Washington area and Ireland

IAD has a long way to go to be popular!! Advance sales for Jan/Feb in all classes are very poor. If in January things have not changed then EI may start to worry. A friend of mine who works for a major American company here in Dublin says that they use UA Via LHR for all their J class flights and have no intention of changing to EI . They are happy with the Star Alliance benefits and dont want to give them up. EI will have a hard time getting people like that to switch and these are good revenue to get. Some of these people are commuters between the IAD and DUB on a weekly basis!!!

3 weeks to BFS base inaugural and sales for the BFS-AMS route for the first three months are only on average around 20% . Should we be alarmed??? Fares are GBP2 each way .

shamrock350

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:38 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 64):
3 weeks to BFS base inaugural and sales for the BFS-AMS route for the first three months are only on average around 20% . Should we be alarmed??? Fares are GBP2 each way .

I wouldn't say so, how are the other routes doing? I thought BCN was selling better however fares are still very low. When is the KL codeshare going to start, the big advantage EI will have over U2 is the potential onward flights.

I think the lack of sales is proof that the unions do nothing but harm Aer Lingus, people were put off EI by the pilot union and the strike threat, now we have SIPTU causing trouble. It cant be good for Aer Lingus and seeing as they are new at BFS, it's not a good first impression.

BrianDromey

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:04 pm

They are happy with the Star Alliance benefits and dont want to give them up. EI will have a hard time getting people like that to switch and these are good revenue to get.

BINGO! EI is too small a carrier to have a decent network from a redemption point of view. Furthermore its FFP is stingy, at best, wholly inadequate at worst, and the range of partners leaves something to be desired. I think they were very premature in leaving oneworld, and like DXB could have made this work a lot better than they have. Codeshares/Joint Ventures with IB and Finnair would not have gone astray, and if they ahd really wanted to, they could ahve done good deals with QF and CX to Auz and Asia via airports other than LHR. Instead they dragged their feet introducing e-ticketing, and balked at the thought of having to spend money to update IT to oneworld standards. oneworld could ahve been very good for EI, and they could have done a lot more than feed to BA, had they had the vigour to go out there and do it. With such awful FFP options and poor J class, why would anyone switch from UA? Im sure most J tickets are upgraded to F anyway, on the day of departure.

BD get a massive going over on a.net, but at least they have the courage to try new things, to deliver an excellent product (most of the time, especially in PE and J) and they make use of the allianec partners to provide onward connections.

EI is currently in a massive comfort zone, "Yera, if we dont serve it, they will still fly us to LHR, tis grand". There is no vim or vigour in expansion plans, the advertising for the new base seems to be poor, form what I have (not) seen and the codeshare flights should be on-line long before now. EI is once again building up a dangerous reliance on the US routes, apart from ATH mid-haul is non-existant. Short-haul in DUB and ORK seems to be doing well.

Brian.

OA260

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 65):
It cant be good for Aer Lingus and seeing as they are new at BFS, it's not a good first impression.

Well EI are not new to BFS as they did have BFS-SNN-JFK and a downtown office in Castle Street Belfast for many years. Brand awareness is not a problem. I would say the majority of Northern Irish know who Aer Lingus is. Alot even have travelled to Dublin over the years to take EI flights. Who knows . With fares to AMS rock bottom you would have thought at least some groups of young lads might have been tempted to pop over for the weekend also couples looking for a pre or post Xmas citybreak. You couldnt get to LHR for those fares.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 66):
BINGO! EI is too small a carrier to have a decent network from a redemption point of view. Furthermore its FFP is stingy, at best, wholly inadequate at worst, and the range of partners leaves something to be desired

Yes exactly , one reason why I wont bother to renew my GC card again. Its a crap program to put it lightly .

BD get a massive going over on a.net, but at least they have the courage to try new things, to deliver an excellent product (most of the time, especially in PE and J) and they make use of the allianec partners to provide onward connections.

You know alot of people do, but ask any DC member if they would switch and I wonder how many would pipe down!! BMI have one of the best FFP in the industry. You really feel like you are getting something for your miles and a huge partner network to redeem on . The lounge network covers nearly all countries in the world. Plus the additional 20KG baggage allowance on any Star Airline is a real benefit.

BMI now have the best PE product across the pond and their use of the old C class seats were a brilliant idea. One that EI should look into. The MCO upgrade deal is proving very popular for EI . They should expand on this.

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:04 pm

3 weeks to BFS base inaugural and sales for the BFS-AMS route for the first three months are only on average around 20%

Think when the KL code-share begins it will go better for that route.
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock604

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:20 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 68):

Thats if it happens.. still nothing on the KL website. Anyone heard anything?

Interesting points made above about the Frequent flyer programme situation and EI pulling out of oneworld. Perhaps the limitations of not being in an alliance are now becoming obvious? At the very least, EI need to get a decent FFP sorted quickly and link it with some big name carriers.

The IAD route seems to be the one causing concern at the moment, and I note OA260 saying bookings are poor. In your opinion OA, are they poor to the point where even for a new route, it would be a concern?

Perhaps its time to switch to BWI again, and perhaps even consider a SNN stop for this one?

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:22 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 69):
Thats if it happens..

What!!! I thought it was sure that KL will code-share with EI. This really bother me.

and link it with some big name carriers.

BA, AA???
Work Hard, Fly Right

ac747

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:25 pm

Does anyone know what the deal is with Canadian flights from Ireland and why they seem to be so seasonal. Is Canada just a Summer only destination and nothing else?
Sure, it would be great to see EI touch down at YYZ (or here at YVR, where they have the rights I believe), but why do AC not develop Ireland more?
I'm guessing that I have answered my own question here, but have difficulty understanding why (especially YYZ) cannot sustain more than a Summer only frequency. There are enough cultural ties between the two countries to warrant a year round schedule, I'd have thought.
Not that flying to places like YVR from DUB is easy when you transit through YYZ ( a further five hours after a transAtlantic hop), but it would be an option. Even though I am not a huge fan of the airport, travelling via LHR at least only entails a quick hop and then one long hauler.
Nice though to see EI actually mention Canada again.It's been a long time since they served the Great White North (wasn't it DUB-SNN-YUL(?)-ORD in the old days)?
Haven't we been here before ?

shamrock350

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:25 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 67):
Well EI are not new to BFS

True however this time Aer Lingus will have a larger network and will have much more competition so they dont need the unions making a fuss every few weeks especially now that it's getting closer to the launch.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 68):

The BA codeshare is now up and running on ba.com so you can book BFS-LHR with Aer Lingus and then the world is waiting with British Airways.

shamrock604

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:29 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 72):
The BA codeshare is now up and running on ba.com so you can book BFS-LHR with Aer Lingus and then the world is waiting with British Airways.

Excellent news!!! Now lets hope KL follows soon.

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:29 pm

The BA codeshare is now up and running on ba.com

And it is still really bad demand on this flight. Strange. Hopefully it will be better with the KL code-share.
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock350

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:31 pm

Quoting AC747 (Reply 71):
Nice though to see EI actually mention Canada again.It's been a long time since they served the Great White North

Indeed it has, sadly the last time they were in Canada was on a diversion.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Eric Fortin - AirTeamImages

Didnt EI-DUB look great!

Thats if it happens.. still nothing on the KL website.

That's what I've been thinking, there is no mention of it on aerlingus.com but there is a mention of BA. Someone did say it was going to happen by December.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 74):
And it is still really bad demand on this flight. Strange.

It's only just started so we will have to wait and see, I checked ba.com on Thursday and there was nothing so it must have been loaded into the system in last few days.

[Edited 2007-11-18 11:33:18]

EIDAA

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:33 pm

EI is too small a carrier to have a decent network from a redemption point of view. Furthermore its FFP is stingy, at best, wholly inadequate at worst, and the range of partners leaves something to be desired.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Spot on.

Ok guys, I have put together my first TR, albeit without photos thanks to those #######s in Brussels taking my camera. I know photo-less reports can be boring, but hopefully you guys will enjoy!
DUB-BOS//PWM-JFK-SFO-DUB (EI Inaugural) (by EIDAA Nov 18 2007 in Trip Reports)
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:34 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 75):
Someone did say it was going to happen by December.

Heard that also. Hope it is true. Otherwise I dont know how it will go for EI in BFS.

Didnt EI-DUB look great!

Really great.
Work Hard, Fly Right

ac747

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:35 pm

sadly the last time they were in Canada was on a diversion.

Hey, great find Shamrock350. Nice pic. Well done!
Looks like a pretty chilly Quebec morning all right.

OA260

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:44 pm

I note OA260 saying bookings are poor. In your opinion OA, are they poor to the point where even for a new route, it would be a concern?

Well if it was not IAD I would say it was normal but IAD as stated is a prime route and should be getting advance sales more than they have. IAD is the only route also that EI have offered discounted Nett fares to the travel industry also so that tells you something !!!

Quoting B747forever (Reply 70):
What!!! I thought it was sure that KL will code-share with EI. This really bother me

Yes it was loaded in around 7-10 days ago . The fares a not too bad but still quite high. Take ATH for example.

Outbound - Saturday 26 Jan, 2008
07:40
26 Jan 09:15
26 Jan Belfast International (Belfast) Heathrow (London) BA5732
Aer Lingus Economy (Traveller)

12:25
26 Jan 18:05
26 Jan Heathrow (London) Athens BA0632
British Airways Traveller

Inbound - Thursday 31 Jan, 2008
14:55
31 Jan 16:55
31 Jan Athens Heathrow (London) BA0641
British Airways Traveller

19:45
31 Jan 21:05
31 Jan Heathrow (London) Belfast International (Belfast) BA5737
Aer Lingus Economy (Traveller)

Price breakdown
Passenger Price Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges* per person Inclusive total
1 Adult £ 147.00 £ 112.70 £ 259.70
* The price of your ticket includes a security, insurance and fuel surcharge per flight levied by the carrier

You can get a LX fare from Dublin for around EUR200 all in . And the BA fare from BFS is GBP259.70 !! Well worth taking the bus to Dublin from Belfast .

EI would want to get the KLM codeshare up and running pretty damn quick IMHO. Dec/Jan is the time people book for Spring / Summer 2008 .

BrianDromey

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:50 pm

Perhaps its time to switch to BWI again, and perhaps even consider a SNN stop for this one?

Well they have pulled this twice already, so I dont know how keen they might be go go back. Its interesting to see the routes that work for EI, a lot of VFR and lesiure traffic. They also seem to attract price savvy travellers. IAD would not be a huge market for either. IAD is also a difficult market becasue none of the US officials can fly on non-US carriers on the governments dime. Still, an expansion of the long-haul network is good news.

I am still bitterly disappointed by the failure of DXB. EI/EK consular fares were available, and there was an interline agreement, but no on-line booking for through fares. Surely this alone can not account for the failure of the route?

I just wonder the future of EI long haul, especially if the likes of silverJet move into DUB. EI has such a poor FFP that it will be easy to poach from EI on both its own flights. If I could get silverJet from DUB or EI or EI/VS/BA I know what I would be choosing (if I ahd the £££££  Wink ), and I think a lot of regular J travellers would do the same, given the number of connections via CDG/AMS/LHR for J (or even PE), DUB seems ripe for this type of carrier.

Brian.

ac747

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:51 pm

The last time I flew into Athens was with Malev from DUB in the Summer of '06. OK, the flight times were pretty lousy (leaving ATH in the wee hours), but it was a great service. Nice airline, clean planes and good old fashioned legacy service (everything on board free)!
Return fare was just under €250 return all in, which was pretty good in my opinion.
I plan on going back to ATH next Summer and will be more than happy to use the EI service, which is showing around €100 each way.
Wouldn't most people rather a non-stop like this instead of possibly shaving a few €€€'s off a fare by travelling via somewhere else?

neutral

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:51 pm

Hi All,
Finally decided to join in after watching the forums for a few years,I've being a member of the Irish aviation board for quite a while.The threads seem to be getting faster all the time a sign of good times in Irish Aviation.Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Neutral

ac747

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting Neutral (Reply 82):
Finally decided to join in after watching the forums for a few years,

The guys here on the Irish threads should get into viral advertising...word of moutjh is bringing in more and more people every day! You all would make a fortune in the advertising business!!
Hey Neutral - welcome (from one of the non-Irish)!

shamrock604

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 80):
Well they have pulled this twice already, so I dont know how keen they might be go go back.

Yes, I know it would be a worry, but loads didnt seem to be an issue, especially the first time around. Yields are another story and I'm not aware what they were like. As for an SNN stopover, I had been told that there is quite a number of pax getting the 125 in SNN and connecting onto IAD from DUB. Maybe for some routes it's worth it?

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:57 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 79):
EI would want to get the KLM codeshare up and running pretty damn quick IMHO. Dec/Jan is the time people book for Spring / Summer 2008 .

That is true. They really need that code-share as soon as possible.

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 76):

Will take a look on your TR soon.

Welcome on board.

Wow, we really gets many new Irish member. That is really great.
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock350

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Welcome Neutral!

Just looking at EI-DUB, I have no idea why they painted the red dot back on. Dont the A330s get repainted in the winter, hopefully the red dot will disappear of them for good.

I have put together my first TR

Great report EIDAA!

OA260

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:07 pm

If I could get silverJet from DUB

Now Id love to do Silveryjet. It looks really cool. The fares are amazing also. I might use them next October back from New York.

Quoting AC747 (Reply 81):
Wouldn't most people rather a non-stop like this instead of possibly shaving a few ���'s off a fare by travelling via somewhere else?

Well yes and no. It depends on the fare difference, it all depends on personal circumstances and prefferences. Now im an odd ball as I like to keep to Star and especially LX in case you havnt noticed LOL.....I get 50 Kilos luggage allowance on the LX J class with my Gold card and last year coming back with all my shopping and Greek products and presents from the familia I had 53 Kilos in two suitcases LOL..... so EI would be out for me although they have excellent flight times and good fares. Im glad they are doing well on it .

Hi All,
Finally decided to join in after watching the forums for a few years,I've being a member of the Irish aviation board for quite a while.The threads seem to be getting faster all the time a sign of good times in Irish Aviation.Keep up the good work.

A BIG WELCOME!!! Its great to see some new Irish guys , Anyone else out there get your credit card out and Join !!! Also interesting to see you newbies have interesting jobs!!!

ac747

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:12 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 87):
it all depends on personal circumstances and prefferences.

I guess I fit into the 'quickest direct route' type of person !
Even though I love travelling , I do tend to get bored after a few hours on aircraft (weird, I know)!, so the fastest route is usually the one I go for.
I can understand though, how when you are a member of a programme and can reap the benefits that you should go for it.
I'm stuck with AC's Aeroplan scheme...but just can't stand flying AC anymore !!

shamrock604

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:12 pm

Neutral and Eirerock.. a very big welcome to you both!

OA260

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting AC747 (Reply 88):
I'm stuck with AC's Aeroplan scheme...but just can't stand flying AC anymore !!

Oh ok so we are kinda in the same FFP with regards Star . Your only other options into DUB are US Airways which I highly DONT recommend. Id say LH might be your only option but its a hell of a detour . So I guess your stuck wil AC!! Arnt the new 777's nicer though???

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:25 pm

Ok guys, I have put together my first TR

have read the TR. Really good.

especially if the likes of silverJet move into DUB

Has not heard anything about that. It is just rumors or a wish that Silverjet is going into DUB, right??
Work Hard, Fly Right

ac747

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:26 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 90):
Arnt the new 777's nicer though???

Yeah, I believe so...but haven't experienced them yet myself.
To be honest, it's not just the AC aircraft - the staff can be a bit (shall we say) 'unhelpful'. I was called 'Mister' on one flight last year when I was boarding. Now, not as in the respectful 'Mister' as a form of address. Instead this was (quote) - "...and where d'ya think you're going Mister" !? This coming from the mouth of one of AC's 'verrrry experienced' cabin crew members. They just started to get up my nose.
I've been going BA for a while now and love their service (especially the Premium Economy). I actually have done the YVR-FRA with LH a couple of times and, even though it's a bit out of the way, it wasn't as long a trip as I thought it would be.
My fav way is still KL through AMS, though. Just way less hassle and another airline I enjoy flying with.
With all of the ribbing US get on this forum, the sadist in me is almost tempted to give them a try !!

COEI2007

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:27 pm

IAD has a long way to go to be popular!! Advance sales for Jan/Feb in all classes are very poor. If in January things have not changed then EI may start to worry. A friend of mine who works for a major American company here in Dublin says that they use UA Via LHR for all their J class flights and have no intention of changing to EI . They are happy with the Star Alliance benefits and dont want to give them up. EI will have a hard time getting people like that to switch and these are good revenue to get. Some of these people are commuters between the IAD and DUB on a weekly basis!!!

I think EI have their work cut out, but if they plan on increasing the frequency already, maybe they're going to go all out and try to make it work. On the other hand, maybe IAD will stay at 4x weekly, and YYZ will launch at 3x weekly or something?

The whole FFP with EI is a shambles. I think something is on the cards with Goldcircle though.......I suppose just do what we always have to do with EI.....just wait and see!

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:28 pm

Quoting AC747 (Reply 92):
Instead this was (quote) - "...and where d'ya think you're going Mister" !?

Thought that the AC cabin crew was nice.

I actually have done the YVR-FRA with LH a couple of times

In Y??
Work Hard, Fly Right

OA260

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:32 pm

"...and where d'ya think you're going Mister" !?

LOL...you should have said ''to the bathroom...care to join me '' .....but then you might have been dragged off in YVR by the R.M.C.P and Tazered!!

B747forever

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:34 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 95):
you should have said ''to the bathroom...care to join me '' .....

rotfl   rotfl 
Work Hard, Fly Right

ac747

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:40 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 94):
Thought that the AC cabin crew was nice.

As usual, it's a lottery. I've found them to be a little disinterested, to be honest. Especially on long haul. Mind you, when it comes to cabin crew, I'm not looking for much. I normally read or work on a flight, due to my inability to sleep and don't really want anything from them. So for me, the best cabin crews are the ones that treat me the way I treat them - with respect. That's all I'm looking for. The AC people I have come across seem to regard their passengers with a mild form on contempt. It's a very Canadian thing to be outwardly polite and always smiling, but behind that there lurks an angry soul. Maybe my 'Canuck Radar' is more finely tuned. Or possibly I'm a very sensitive soul !!!

Quoting B747forever (Reply 94):
In Y??

Yup, in good ole Y. Very professional and decent service throughout.

By the way, a friend of mine arrived today with a copy of the 'Girls of Ryanair' calendar. Have any of you seen it? It's really well put together, but the funniest part is at the back. They have a 'Preview of the Aer Lingus 2008' calendar, with a photo of a pretty well experienced female cabin crew member wearing a gaudy looking one piece swimsuit. She is pouring coffee and above her is a sign saying "They'll have me selling scratch cards next". Very funny.

neutral

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:40 pm

thanks folks for all the welcomes etc. on a different note how is pier D working out up in Dublin airport I know its only working at half capacity until the forward lounge temporary pier is totally removed but it most be a welcome addition to the airport facilities.

Cheers,

Neutral

ac747

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 95):
but then you might have been dragged off in YVR by the R.M.C.P and Tazered!!

Yeah, that was pretty scarey all right. There's that underlying hostility I was talking about !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos