Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LHboyatDTW
Topic Author

One Overwing Door ANA A320

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:59 am

In a world where populations of several countries are rising and LCCs like EasyJet cram more seats making a double exit A319 a "shoehorn express" we see this in Japan of all places a single doored ANA A320 departing Nagoya Chubu Centrair for Sendai.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Xiao min

Any explanations? I was left kinda puzzled on why ANA would configure an A320 like this.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

PA006

RE: One Overwing Door ANA A320

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:17 am

This is hardly a "shoehorn" config but more like a premium config for flights to Shanghai. Perhaps an equipment substitution?

[Edited 2007-11-18 22:19:46]

skytony

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:22 am

This ANA A320 only holds 110 passengers.
Lower your expectations! You will always be pleasantly surprised!

BreninTW

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:53 am

Would the lack of a second overwing escape limit the re-sale potential of this aircraft? Basically, it's forced to be used in a premium configuration ... or could a second overwing escape be installed at a later date?

ikramerica

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Thread starter):
In a world where populations of several countries are rising and LCCs like EasyJet cram more seats making a double exit A319 a "shoehorn express" we see this in Japan of all places a single doored ANA A320 departing Nagoya Chubu Centrair for Sendai.

The population of Japan is not rising and the market there is very mature. So I'm not sure what your point is exactly?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

AC_B777

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:21 am

Actually, if you look close enough, you can see there is another overwing exit directly aft of the exit shown just like any other normal A230. You can see the exit cutout, it is just that the outline is not painted like the forward exit.
I'm not sure what the reason for this would be.
If there is an exit there, then why not have it marked? Maybe just to try and confuse us?
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

SR100

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:57 am

The second overwing exit is clearly deactivated, like some carriers used to do it with the B-747-100/200 overwing exits, e.g. BA and CX, or the Swiss (Private Jet) BBJ2 with only one overwing exit.

Another interesting aspect is the not used three most rear windows. There must be either a larger than normal aft galley, and/or more lavatories, and/or storage space. This again underlines the assumption, that is a special version.
Flown all types and variants of Airbus, Boeing, Lockheed, Bombardier, DC, Embraer, Fokker, ATR, plus BAe146-1/2/3, Britannia, Caravelle, Comet, Concord, CV440/990, M404, Herald, Avro, Trident-1/2/3, IL-18/62, SWM, Viscount, VC-10, Tu-104/134/154, YS-11

avroarrow

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:46 am

I think he means that it is an odd contrast given that on one side you have domestic configured high density 747s while having this at the other end of the spectrum. Of course the intended roles for both aircraft are quite different as are where they are utilized, so I guess he has his answer now.
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

Aaron747

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:35 pm

This registration is indeed one of the recent deliveries earmarked for China service. They have been deployed on NGO-TSN services.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ATAIndy

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:41 pm

Quoting PA006 (Reply 1):
This is hardly a "shoehorn" config but more like a premium config for flights to Shanghai.

He is referring to EasyJet, not ANA.
Boiler up!

ikramerica

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting AC_B777 (Reply 5):
I'm not sure what the reason for this would be.

As stated, this exit is deactivated as the capacity of the jet has been reduced. When deactivated, you can put seats in front of it, but on the outside it must not be marked, so that rescuers do not mistake it for an exit and a possible point of entry for rescue.

The 739ER has an extra set of exit doors that can be delivered as active or inactive. Active for a high density configuration (200+ seats) or inactive for 189 or fewer seats. Expect CO to not activate the doors, so they will be like this A320, not marked on the outside and "paneled over" on the inside.

LTU932

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:11 pm

If you all look closely at the picture, you'll notice that the second overwing exit is there, you can faintly recognise the outlines of it, which visually confirms that this particular exit is deactivated. I didn't see it at first, but if you look closely, you'll see the unmarked door.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

ASAFA

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 3):
Would the lack of a second overwing escape limit the re-sale potential of this aircraft? Basically, it's forced to be used in a premium configuration ... or could a second overwing escape be installed at a later date?

I assume since the exit is still there that it could be put back into operation. Obviously this would require some changes to be made to the interior, but that would most likely need to be replaced anyway when this aircraft is ready to begin its next life.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Airbus doesn't manufacture the A320 without two over-wing exit openings. Obviously the interior fittings don't need to make use of both (or any) of the over-wing exits.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vincent Marien

ikramerica

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting ASAFA (Reply 12):
Correct me if I'm wrong but Airbus doesn't manufacture the A320 without two over-wing exit openings. Obviously the interior fittings don't need to make use of both (or any) of the over-wing exits.

There is no reason to produce the A320, A321, 738 or 739 without two overwing openings. They can easily be plugged and "bandaged over" inside for VIP and premium style use, with no impact on performance or functionality. When resold, the plane simply requires new panels in that area and a new window exit to replace the plug (and of course interior lighting and such).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos