PanAm747
Topic Author

Question About UA/AC Travel And UA Website

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:49 pm

Perhaps those here in the know can shed some light into this situation:

I am considering travel for next summer. In checking itineraries and prices at United's website using the multi-city function, I am trying to prepare an itinerary that looks something like this:

Segment 1: SAN-MSP
Segment 2: MSP-YUL
Segment 3: YUL-YHZ
Segment 4: YHZ-SAN

The problem comes when trying to book some of the Canadian segments. Sometimes Air Canada-only segments show up (YHZ-SAN) as a possibility, but other times United-only or UA/AC combinations show up (MSP-YUL). Oddest of all is trying to book Montreal to Halifax - that requires a minimum of two layovers and sometimes three with a change of airlines!!

It really seems odd that sometimes UA's website would show AC flights, yet at other times it wouldn't show any. For airlines within the same alliance, it seems odd to show some flights but not others. And just to be fair, I tried the same itinerary on AC's website and it looked at me like I had asked for a flight to the moon.  confused 

Out of curiousity, I tried re-doing the whole itinerary, omitting the intra-Canada segment on UA and pricing that on AC separately. Believe it or not, it actually came out cheaper! In the end, that is what I might have to do, but can anyone shed some light on why one website couldn't handle the whole trip?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Cubsrule

RE: Question About UA/AC Travel And UA Website

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:23 pm

I think if you are booking an intra-Canada flight with a UA code, it needs to be a continuation of a transborder flight.

UA's website architecture is such that when you do multi-segment, it doesn't consider the intra-Canada segment as part of a larger 'trip,' so it won't display the UA code for the flight even though the flight does have a UA code because it doesn't associate YUL-YHZ with a transborder trip.

For most flights next summer, the double-connects over SFO and either BOS or ORD seem to be the cheapest 'traditional' roundtrips UA offers.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos