Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RE: Continental's Overall Product..

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 18):
Complimentary meals at meal time, pillows and blankets are something you are only going to find on CO.

Other than breakfast, I think CO's economy meals are useless. Bring or buy food, and carry some "emergency" high-density snacks. I've never understood why people go ga-ga over a low-quality frozen pizza and some wilted iceberg lettuce. And as others have said, pillows and blankets are widely available on other carriers as well (if you dare use them).

IFE is also becoming less important now that almost everyone has portable music and/or movies with them -- your own chosen content, on your own chosen schedule. I guess laptop power could be important, but I can easily carry enough battery duration to get me across the country if I'm not doing something super power-intensive.

Personally I think the dominant metric for a domestic product is seat pitch. MRTC didn't work for AA, and I've never understood why. Economy Plus does it for me -- I'll never consider another airline when I can fly UA, unless the price difference is outrageous. And I'm only 5'8", if I were taller I assume it would be even more important. It's a bonus that they have the only IFE that I can't bring along myself (Channel 9).
7 hours aint long-haul

ODwyerPW

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 1):
CO does an incredible job - they already have just about the best Y product of any legacy airline in the U.S.

I agree. I flew roundtrip from Albany New York to Anchorage Alaska in July on a route that was serviced by a mix of NorthWest and Continental Craft. Continental was incredible. Northwest was...well the worst flying experience I've had.
learning never stops.

baw716

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 1):
CO does an incredible job - they already have just about the best Y product of any legacy airline in the U.S. A few others - mainly AA, DL and NW - also have good products, but CO doesn't really need to do much upgrading. They're product is already pretty much the best in the business.

Amen, brother. If you compare seat pitch, width, service offerings on international (domestic flights do not have PTV unless they are operated with wide body aircraft) and on domestic flights...against all the other US carriers, COs product is far and away better than any in the US industry today.

As far as domestic flights go, very few airlines are moving to individual seat back video. Some carriers have opted to put them in, but the legacy carriers cannot afford to do this (Delta being the significant exception...but they are not putting the individual seat back video on their international 767-300ER fleet due to the fact that some of the aircraft are unable to be wired for it). However, we are talking about CO, and on ALL their international wide body flights they have PTVs and soon they will have them in the 757s as well (I've heard this as rumor but cannot confirm how or when).

Internationally, they compete pretty well except on the 757; but when the PTVs are installed, that should resolve that problem.

I'd fly them before other US carriers to Europe.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

blueflyer

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 5):
IFE is, despite all the attention it gets on A.net and elsewhere on the net, not that important to most travelers.

Except when the only movie I really wanted to watch on CO70 yesterday was screwed up. Damnit!!!

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 8):
Their international business class however is a sorry excuse for one. Why would anyone fly CO when you can have a 180 degree sleeper on UA. I think DL and AA also have sleeper suites. Their service is what blows everyone else out of the water.

Don't forget, however, that how well a particular cabin/product stands up to the competition is bound to be cyclical. CO's BusinessFirst was well above and beyond what AA, DL and UA had to offer when it came out. Now, it is true that CO's business class amenities are getting dated, but I'm sure that in time, they will upgrade them too and be ahead of the (North American) pack, only to get caught up by another carrier a few years later, and so on...

I don't like how crowded Presidents Club seem to be (especially EWR's C90-some gates' club), I don't like that getting out of a window seat when the row ahead has reclined their seat and my seatmate is asleep is an acrobatic feat worthy of Cirque du Soleil, I don't like how eliteAccess security screening line at EWR is actually slower than the regular line (the people in front of me switched line yesterday and got processed well before me) and I don't like that the movie selection is lame (Harry Potter, Knocked Up, Transformers, please !?!?), but I like having up to 6 flight attendants serving 30 passengers upfront (for a grand total of 10 on a 764 yesterday, well above the FAA-mandated minimum) who try hard to offer a personalized service and who actually answer call bells...

Most of the time, I fly CO by obligation due to our corporate contract. Yesterday's trip didn't fall within the "must-fly-CO" guidelines, and yet I stuck with them because of the service. Now if only they updated their IFE, had lie-flat beds and were allowed to hire only the cutest, youngest girls in the land a la SIA, I wouldn't have to say it's the service that brings me back, but it is.

letsgetwet

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Sxf24 (Reply 42):
No. The statement was that CO is the only airline to offer complimentary meals in Y on domestic flights, which is absolutely false.

Alright, lets re-word that: Continental is the only US legacy airline to offer complimentary meals at meal times on all domestic flights 3 hours and more in duration.

Can you agree on that statement?

continental180

Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:03 am

Continental is upgrading there 52 or so 757-200s....i believe about 20 are done already....

w/

-new seats
-Panasonice X series(http://www.panasonic.aero/xseries.html)

continental is my airline.....they are truly, or in my eyes, the best airline.. Staff is wonderful, professional, friendly, and is always ready to help if needed. The Cabins are better then most, always clean, with blankets and pillows...Food, is average, but im not there for the food, im there for the experience. and overall,

-they have lived up to there standards, and completely set a mark for themselfs....

i give them a lot of credit, and they are trying to make it always better.....

For Me, i would give them an [A]

Best Regards

Tyler
FlyBlue Airways
Continental Fanatic

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:09 am

Quoting Analog (Reply 45):

Seatguru has shown the powerports in Y rows 7-16 of CO's 752s

Quoting CODC10 (Reply 49):

This is correct, all 757-200s have the system installed in J/Y.

I was on N56859, a 757-300

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 48):
The new 757-200 interior looks pretty nice with AVOD throughout:

That, in disregard to my cloth opinion stated above, actually looks pretty cool.
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

PlanenutzTB

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:02 am

I fly a 100k year on business and CO is my preferred airline. Yes I have flown DL, AA UL and all the rest and CO is always the best. You can debate the quality of the meal they serve, but they do still serve a meal. The seats are comfortable, don't understand why you need leather. Yes the IFE on 737's and 757's are drop down LCD's, but the entertainment is usually good. On 767's and 777's IFE's are your own personal LCD's. The employees (flight crews) genuinely seem to love their company and take pride in their jobs, which is reflected in the service I receive. CO is "best in class" of US airlines!
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.

Falcon84

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 3):
I didn't have one... are you talking about in F? I don't think Y has any..

Might help to know what type of aircraft you flew?

Quoting Commavia (Reply 7):
I fly on AA MD80s all the time. I'm usually on one at least 3-4 times each month.

And, I must say, that the AA MD80 is - unless I'm sitting in the last five rows of Y - probably my single favorite Y cabin experience of any airline in the U.S.

One of the best filghts I ever had was on a DL MD-87, I believe it was. My wife and I took our two oldest kids to MCO aroaund Easter of 2001. Flew CLE-ATL down, and on the way back, had the same type of ship CVG-CLE. Sat on the two-seat side, that had more legroom than I've ever seen in any coach seat-probably even more than I had in the exit row on my B6 flight from MCO-SWF this summer. It was just downright comfortable-more comfortable than the seating we had on the MD-11 ATL-MCO, or the 763 we had MCO-CVG.

Their international business class however is a sorry excuse for one.

Really? Is that why it constantly wins awards for consistency and its quality.

I understand in this day and age, everyone wants the latest gadgets up front, to keep them occupied (whatever happened to SLEEPING or reading books?), but the service is excellent. The seats are still comfortable, and, for the most part, in great shape. To say it's a sorry excuse is a flat-out falsehood, based on the repeat business BF gets, and all the kudo's it earns every year.

Quoting Davescj (Reply 43):
I do think CO needs to upgrade the BF into flat seats. But that's me.

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 53):
Don't forget, however, that how well a particular cabin/product stands up to the competition is bound to be cyclical. CO's BusinessFirst was well above and beyond what AA, DL and UA had to offer when it came out. Now, it is true that CO's business class amenities are getting dated, but I'm sure that in time, they will upgrade them too and be ahead of the (North American) pack, only to get caught up by another carrier a few years later, and so on...

CO is looking at introducing a new product when the Dreamliner joins the fleet. Larry Kellner made some good points at an employee meeting in CLE in October. He said that yes, CO knows that many competitors have gone to lie-flat sleeper seats, but that those carriers have also taken out seats to accomodate these new seats. As he told us, the customer doesn't care that an airline will have to take out seats and lose revenue, and that customer certainly doesn't want to pay 25% more because seats are removed. They could care less. They want the lie-flat seats for the same cost, and to hell with the cost the airline incurs.

That's what CO is currently studying-how to improve the product, without significantly increasing the cost for the customer, while at the same time having a product that can be competitive with other carriers. CO is looking at that challenge, and by the time the 787 enters the fleet, it will be the flagship for the new design of BF.

But I take major exception to an igonrant statement that BF is a "sorry excuse". It's not.
Work Right, Fly Hard

sxf24

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 54):
Alright, lets re-word that: Continental is the only US legacy airline to offer complimentary meals at meal times on all domestic flights 3 hours and more in duration.

Can you agree on that statement?

Why would I disagree with the statement? It is factually correct, unlike other stuff previously posted.

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:09 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 58):
Might help to know what type of aircraft you flew?

It's been stated repeatedly in this thread and is even in my signature.
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

WesternA318

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 5):
I'll take cloth any day over leather. After four hours sitting on leather, I think my skin begins to bond with the damn rawhide at the molecular level. It's not comfortable, to say the least.

I did that on SLC-PHX-SFO-JFK on HP back in the day, OUCH!!

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 6):
Cramped cabins, no overhead bin space, no food, no movies or videos, noisy in back, some seats without windows facing a blank wall, coin-operated toilets.

LOL...sounds like B6 to me...

Their international business class however is a sorry excuse for one. Why would anyone fly CO when you can have a 180 degree sleeper on UA.

Because ti is CO and NOT UA (whom I try hard to avoid)

Quoting Commavia (Reply 16):
Those 727 three-holers were beautiful, as well, and also flying tanks.

Amen to that, and the old CO colors looked fabulous on them!

Quoting Sxf24 (Reply 29):
More people than fly CO to those same destinations.

I wouldnt be so sure, me and several non-airline nut buddies prefer to fly from SLC to IAH and THEN onto HNL or ANC.

masseybrown

Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:29 am

But I take major exception to an igonrant statement that BF is a "sorry excuse". It's not.

CO's B/F is more than onboard amenities. You and your bags really are the first off and you beat the crowd to customs, which is a huge time saving in some cities. CO also does a fantastic job when the plane is late. Example, we arrived late into EWR in October breaking our connection. A CO rep found my wife and me in the crowd (special luggage tag), took us to a special desk where our bags were rechecked and we were given the new boarding passes which were already waiting for us - total time about 5 minutes compared to the near-chaos others faced at an overwhelmed counter.

My wife, who can be a little close with a dollar, thinks B/F is worth every penny.

davescj

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:37 pm

As he told us, the customer doesn't care that an airline will have to take out seats and lose revenue, and that customer certainly doesn't want to pay 25% more because seats are removed.

This is certainly a true point. Any chance CO will move to the BA system (that allows more J seats, hence more rev). I always prefer to travel CO, but BA usually beats out the price. If I leave Europe -- US -- Europe, usually the price diff is about 1/2.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

justloveplanes

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting CuriousFlyer (Reply 31):
CO looks ridiculous when compared with AF, SQ, BA or others

The UK (not US) based Official Airline Guide, disagrees with you. Their surveys for the past 5 years from international business travelers ranks CO best in the world for all this time. According to them, that's better than AF, SQ, BA, EK, TG, CZ, QR, VS, LH or whoever - take your pick.

There are different ways to look at business class, but I travel to Asia and the continental US routinely with upto two hundred pounds of technical equipment, five bags (3 of which can push the 62 inch, 70 lb limit) and 12 hour days. This is the type of business where CO excels, get it done, get it done right and get it right everytime with services oriented to the business traveler. For someone in my situation, any added hassle or problem is magnified by travel logistics. Likewise the service Continental provides works to solve problems like I have, and the onboard BF service is a real joy after everything I have to do to get on board with all my stuff at some wee hour in the morning. For someone in my situation (probably similar many of the respondents of the OAG surveys), everything they do really adds up. I love flying BF for that reason. BTW, I have noticed that CO has a good deal of FF elite level that sometimes the elite security line isn't any faster, and that I would hope the get further into the West Coast and Asia, but those are my only complaints.

The Winners and Nominees for the 25 th OAG Airline of the Year Awards at www.oag.com

OAG Airline of the Year 2007: British Airways
Aeromexico, Continental Airlines, CSA Czech Airlines, Emirates, Qantas, South African Airways, Singapore Airlines

Best Airline Based in Asia : Singapore Airlines
Cathay Pacific , Japan Airlines, Korean Air, Thai Airways

Best Airline Based in Australasia/Pacific: Qantas
Air New Zealand, Air Tahiti Nui, Virgin Blue

Best Airline Based in North America: Continental Airlines
Air Canada , American Airlines (Commended), Delta Air Lines, United Airlines

Best Airline Based in Central/S.America & Caribbean: Aeromexico
Copa Airlines, LAN Airlines, Mexicana, TAM Brazilian Airlines

Best Airline Based in Western Europe : British Airways
Air France , KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Lufthansa, Virgin Atlantic

Best Airline Based in Central/Eastern Europe : CSA Czech Airlines
Aeroflot Russian Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, MALEV Hungarian Airlines

Best Airline Based in the Middle East/Indian Sub-Continent : Emirates
El Al, Etihad, Jet Airways, Qatar Airways (Commended)

Best Airline Based in Africa: South African Airways
Air Mauritius, Egyptair, Kenya Airways

Best Transatlantic Airline: British Airways
American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Lufthansa, Virgin Atlantic

Best Transpacific Airline: Cathay Pacific
Air New Zealand , American Airlines, Qantas, United Airlines

Best Europe – Asia/Australasia Airline: British Airways
Air France , Emirates, Lufthansa, Qantas

Best Low Cost/No Frills Airline: JetBlue
AirAsia, bmibaby, easyJet, Southwest Airlines, Virgin Blue

Best Economy/Coach Class: Korean Air
American Airlines, British Airways, Continental Airlines, Singapore Airlines

Best Business/Executive Class: Continental Airlines
American Airlines, British Airways, Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic (Commended)

Best International First Class: Singapore Airlines
British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Korean Air,

Best Airport : Seoul Incheon International
Amsterdam Schiphol, Dubai International, New York JFK, San Francisco International, Singapore Changi (Commended)

ShakeZulaNJ

Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:38 pm

I really like CO's product, both domestic and international. My domestic hops aren't really that long, so IFE doesn't mean too much; I just have my iPod and that keeps me happy. Meals are a nice touch though; it good to know that something is going to be serve; at the very least, I can eat the salad and dessert.

There service in B/F is excellent. I flew EWR-AMS and back and both segments were great. I've flown Lufthansa and United in business class before on international segments and CO was by far the better. The only thing that is lacking there are the seats. I didn't have a problem with the seat myself; in fact I found it to be very comfortable. But with AA, UA and DL upgrading their international business class product, CO should do that as well to stay ahead of the game. Aren't they supposed to roll out a new B/F product with the 787?
It's not bird strike, it's engine suck...

WesternA318

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting ShakeZulaNJ (Reply 65):
I really like CO's product, both domestic and international. My domestic hops aren't really that long, so IFE doesn't mean too much; I just have my iPod and that keeps me happy. Meals are a nice touch though; it good to know that something is going to be serve; at the very least, I can eat the salad and dessert.

I'm usually content with the view out the window and the in-flight mag. On the red-eyes or TATL flights I'll bring along a book, sleep or my own dvd player.

ABQ747

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 40):
Continental cabins are CLEAN and in good repair.

I agree with you for the most part, but the cabins on CO's 737-300s are horrendous. I flew IAH-ABQ back in 2005, and my tray table was so crooked that I couldn't set my drink on it without it sliding off. Earlier this year, I flew on a B733 from ACA to IAH, and that aircraft was also in poor condition. Several seats were torn, and the lavatory had a strong urine smell. I have flown several other CO aircraft types, and they were in much better condition. CO really needs to get rid of those B733s.

davescj

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:08 am

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 67):
CO really needs to get rid of those B733s.

I think CO first replaced the few MD80's they had (correct?) and now are starting to order 737's again. They have 4 on order according to the Boeing website. I don't know if they are replacement, but it wouldn't be impossible to think so, would it?

I noticed AA also has a 737 on order.....I think it will be used to replace an MD80, no?

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

dutchjet

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting Davescj (Reply 63):
This is certainly a true point. Any chance CO will move to the BA system (that allows more J seats, hence more rev). I always prefer to travel CO, but BA usually beats out the price. If I leave Europe -- US -- Europe, usually the price diff is about 1/2.

Its not the plan (as of now, anyway)......the new Biz First product is not finalized as of this moment, as pointed out by others, CO is dealing with the space vs lie-flat issue and is reluctant to reduce J cabin seats in favor of the lie flat option.

Quoting Justloveplanes (Reply 64):
The UK (not US) based Official Airline Guide, disagrees with you. Their surveys for the past 5 years from international business travelers ranks CO best in the world for all this time

Thanks for that....FACTS are very interesting, indeed. CO's BizFirst product is very very good and appreciated by its customers and will be sensibly updated over time.

I agree with you for the most part, but the cabins on CO's 737-300s are horrendous

Odd, CO is rather fussy about the condition of its cabins and in millions of miles of CO flying in the past few years, I have rarely seen anything damaged or dirty on a CO aircraft. In any case, its a bit silly to say that CO should dump an aircraft type due to some cleaning/ maintenance issues of one airplane that was probably overdue for a deep cleaning and check. While some CO 733s will be leaving the fleet in the near-term future, many will be staying on for years to come and were recently updated with winglets. The 733/735 play an important role in CO's fleet.....short haul and high frequency services.

Quoting Davescj (Reply 68):
I think CO first replaced the few MD80's they had (correct?) and now are starting to order 737's again. They have 4 on order according to the Boeing website. I don't know if they are replacement, but it wouldn't be impossible to think so, would it?

CO retired its MD80s years ago.......and CO has far more than 4 737NGs on order at the current time, 20+ 739ERs will be delivered to CO in the coming year or two, plus there are further commitments for 738s,and additional commitments for unspecified variants of the 737NG (which may be listed as 73G commitments although that is only a place holder, CO will not be taking any additional 73G aircraft.)

IAHFLYR

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:29 pm

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 62):
Example, we arrived late into EWR in October breaking our connection. A CO rep found my wife and me in the crowd (special luggage tag), took us to a special desk where our bags were rechecked and we were given the new boarding passes which were already waiting for us -

I can verify the exact same situation in August in EWR. That is yet another reason CO will continue to be our airline of choice through 2008 and beyond!

WORK HARD, FLY RIGHT  trophy 
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

USAirALB

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:36 pm

Continental is and has been industry leader for many years. You can often find a low fare, quickly. Continental still offers meals,pillows,blankets while many carriers are pulling back. I personally like the regular IFE on domestic flights, so the money can go somewhere else..
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

dutchjet

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:01 pm

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 71):
I personally like the regular IFE on domestic flights, so the money can go somewhere else..

I gotta ask? CO offers ""irregular"" IFE on its domestic flights? I really dont understand your point.

Analog

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:22 pm

CO really needs to get rid of those B733s.

CO needs to get rid of the 735s. 7% F seats means no upgrades for me. The 733s have almost 10% F.

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 72):
I gotta ask? CO offers ""irregular"" IFE on its domestic flights? I really dont understand your point.

Some domestic CO planes have IFE, some don't. Some 733s have video, some don't.

dutchjet

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 73):

CO needs to get rid of the 735s. 7% F seats means no upgrades for me. The 733s have almost 10% F.

Reducing F class seating (and be grateful its 8 seats upfront, the original plan was for only 6 seats in F) and increasing overall seating on the 735s has resulted in better results for 735 operations.....the 735 is not the most user friendly airplane on a fuel per seat basis and $100/bbl oil is not helping. CO would love to reduce its 735 fleet but many of the airplanes are subject to lease/finance agreements (at rather high rates) that CO simply cannot get out of.

Some domestic CO planes have IFE, some don't. Some 733s have video, some don't.

I understand that the 735 and most 733s dont have IFE.......AA's MD80s, DL's MD88s, NW's domestic fleet and US's 737 fleet dont have it either. I guess that I misunderstood the post: now I realize that he will only fly on domestic flights that offer IFE? Books are also a great form of IFE, by the way!

WesternA318

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:12 am

I've never had a problem upgrading on the 735's, and I'm only Silver Elite this year

tommy767

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 7):
I absolutely love the MD80s, and I know quite a few other AA FFs just like me. And in F? Forget about it - that is just awesome, if you ask me.

I got upgraded to F on a S80 from DFW-EWR. Service was excellent. For a 'snack' they served a baked salmon with potatoes. Tasted great, and it's good to see AA upgrading the food in F on domestic flights.

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 11):
CO is the only carrier serving comp meals in Y (small, but comp none the less)

They are very small, and really nothing to write home about.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 18):
Complimentary meals at meal time, pillows and blankets are something you are only going to find on CO.

I find it funny that I flew EWR-LAX over the summer with CO and there were no pillows or blankets. My dad flies CO a lot more than I do and he said that you have to ask for them. Personally, I thought it was false advertising. AA sometimes has pillows or blankets laid out on the seats on some flights such as the LAX-DFW 757 flight I flew last week, but in general they're in slim pickings.

Quoting Sxf24 (Reply 42):
CO is a very good airline, their just not the second coming that some people make them out to be.

I concur. Flying CO out of EWR between all the crowds, security, and delays makes me get a headache. Not that EWR isn't delayed prone with other carriers, but other parts of the airport are more laid-back and less conjested.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Siege2L

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:53 am

I truly believe the individual experience of each passenger depends on thieir open-mindedness and outlook on life. There are some passengers who appear to be hateful and bitter in life, and then, you have those who are happy to have the opportunity to simply fly.

For 6 years or so, I had One Pass Elite status. In 3 of those final years, I had consistently failed attempts at receiving my checked baggage when transiting through IAH. When I fly through EWR, I have always received my checked luggage when arriving at my final destination. I spent my miles and terminated my One Pass membership.

During the 6 years flying with Continental, I have always had the fortunate of experience a great inflight crew - 100%

During the 6 years, I was also quite pleased with the ground staff - regardless of wait time.

During the 6 years, the seats improved. Height-adjustable headrests allowed this 6'2'' ( 188cm ) tall passenger enjoy sleep on more flights... ( the margaritas with a dose of Grand Marnier on CO helped, too! - oh, and still cheaper to pay for two bottles per drink when compared to going to bars in Los Angeles )

And finally, I knew what to expect when a meal was served. All very positive.

My only other concern is flying in a B757 across the Atlantic. I am one of those passengers who care not to disturb the cabin crew while providing the service in the aisle. For example, there is a passenger in row 7, flight attendants serving dinner at row 15. When the passenger in row 7 wants to use the restroom ( with a line already appearing in the rear lavatory ) the cabin crew in row 15 are kind enough to pull the cart all the way to the back of the 757 to allow the passenger in row 7 to use the lavatory. In the meanwhile, passengers in rows 15 and higher see this and suddenly get hungrier and hungrier and a little peeved I imagine at the passenger in row 7 who could not wait for his/her selfish needs. ( Throwing up would be a bit different ) But imagine in a single-aisle 757 aircraft, how often this could happen. Widebodies offer less chance of a disruption in service. So, this is one area that is not consistent across the board, the ease of movement during a flight.

So you see I feel it is very hard to truly give an airline a fair chance when rating their service, product, and amenities.

But make no mistake, I have flown 4 times since CO became Skyteam, and they were terrific. At the end of the day, they may not be #1 in my book, but CO will always be a consideration when flying.

Happy Holidays,

Michael  Smile
Flying higher than over your dreams...

CALMSP

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 53):
and were allowed to hire only the cutest, youngest girls in the land

we're getting there!!!

STT757

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:35 pm

Quoting Tommy767 (Reply 76):
I find it funny that I flew EWR-LAX over the summer with CO and there were no pillows or blankets. My dad flies CO a lot more than I do and he said that you have to ask for them. Personally, I thought it was false advertising

I've flown CO domestically 6 times so far this year, everytime there were pillows and blankets. If not on the seats they are always in the overheads.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Mir

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:15 pm

CO's international economy product is very good, and is comparable to the best European carriers, but I found their domestic offering to be somewhat lacking compared to B6 or UA. The seats weren't as comfortable (the ones on the 735 were harder than those on NW, and that's saying something). They're certainly better than NW, AA or DL, but I wouldn't put them at the top. Their service is friendlier than UA's, but not quite as friendly as B6's.

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 2):
CO is behind B6, F9 and DL in terms of IFE.

Also UA when it comes to domestic routes. Every single airplane in UA's fleet has at least audio IFE that you can actually use your own headset on (single plug), and the programming is actually pretty good (and channel 9 of course).

Quoting Sxf24 (Reply 22):
AS, HA and WN are a few of the carriers that still offer pillows and blankets domestically.

UA had pillows and blankets (and more substantial ones than the CO blankets) when I flew them last spring.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos