Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Flying-Tiger
Topic Author

GoJet Orders CRJ700s

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:56 pm

GoJet has ordered four additional CRJ700s, this time the 700NG:

Quote:
TORONTO, Nov 20 (Reuters) - Bombardier Inc's (BBDb.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) aerospace unit said late on Tuesday that U.S.-based GoJet Airlines has signed a deal to buy four CRJ700 NextGen planes from the Canadian transportation giant.

The deal is worth about $137.5 million, Bombardier said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/tnBas...ndustries-SP/idUSN2063521920071120
Flown: A319/320/321,A332/3,A343/346, A359, A380,AT4,AT7,B712, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9,B742/4,B752/3, B762/763,B772/77W,CR2/7/9/K,ER3/4,E70/75/90/95, F50/70/100,M11,L15,SF3,S20, AR8/1, 142/143,... 330.860 miles and counting.

eraugrad02

RE: GoJet Orders CRJ700s

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:10 pm

Quoting Flying-Tiger (Thread starter):
GoJet has ordered four additional CRJ700s, this time the 700NG:

For UA I assume? I love the updated interiors.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

Transpac787

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 1):
Oh joy

I'll second that...

I'm wondering where they are going to get the pilots to fly these planes. As it is they seem to be having some crew shortages because a lot of young pilots seem to be growing wise to the history of GoJet.

WeAreUnited

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting ERAUgrad02 (Reply 1):
I love the updated interiors.

Any pictures?! I can't find any of the updated interiors.

modesto2

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:18 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 2):
As it is they seem to be having some crew shortages because a lot of young pilots seem to be growing wise to the history of GoJet.

Really? It's about darn time. What took them so long to acknowledge the dubious distinction that this carrier holds in the industry. I cringe when I hear about this carrier and can't wish for anything good.

apodino

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:38 pm

You know whats sad is United is real mad at Mesa for reliability issues. If they give Mesa the boot over this, guess who may likely end up with some of that flying. Thats unfortunate.

eraugrad02

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:41 pm

Quoting WeAreUnited (Reply 3):

lookup NW CRJ-900. There are pix. or bombardier website has 3d tour.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

pnwtraveler

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:43 pm

Quoting WeAreUnited (Reply 3):

Go to Bombardier's website.

bok269

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 5):
You know whats sad is United is real mad at Mesa for reliability issues. If they give Mesa the boot over this, guess who may likely end up with some of that flying. Thats unfortunate.

That thought never even crossed my mind. Now that you mention it, it sounds possible if not probable. Let's hope OO and S5 take most of it.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

LAXintl

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 5):
If they give Mesa the boot over

Not gonna happen. UA actually signed Mesa for some additional planes - 2 more CRJ700s on 10 year terms effective 2008.

Anyhow, Mesa's performance has made quite a improvement thru the summer.

Love or hate them, they are an important provider of lift, at very competitive rates.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ATWZW170

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:49 pm

Competitive rates? Competitve compared to what? I will support just about any regional airline but when there is one that pays well below what every employee is worth -- it's hard for me to be nice to a Mesa employee because you work for a total dictator who doesn't give a rats fat butt about you --- and you stay -- I have a very hard time understanding.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

ATWZW170

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:59 pm

Ok, now I guess I should post something that has to do with the original post....

If GoJets provides a decent product, with good on time and completion factors -- not sure what their service is like in the cabin -- guess it can't be too bad -- I've seen a few of their FA's walking around, I wasn't impressed. One guy had an ear ring in his ear and looked sloppy -- has anyone been on one of their flights.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 11):
One guy had an ear ring in his ear and looked sloppy -- has anyone been on one of their flights.

I haven't, but my girlfriend has. She's not an aviation buff, but she didn't notice a difference from any other Express carrier, and they don't seem to cancel or delay more flights than other Express carriers.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

LAXintl

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:52 am

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 10):
Competitive rates? Competitve compared to what?

The all important ACMI rates they can offer customer airlines.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

warszawa

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 2):
I'm wondering where they are going to get the pilots to fly these planes.

Oh, they'll find them. If it looks like they'll be a little short, hey, lower the minimums a bit, and more will climb aboard  Wink
Flying a plane is no diff. from riding a bicycle. Its just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes. -'Airplane'

kstatepilot

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:15 am

Isn't it sad that we can't have a nice discussion about Go Jet without some YV bashing?

At least Go Jet is getting newer (NG) CRJ's and not trying to purchase some of the used 700's.

2H4

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:23 am

I will support just about any regional airline but when there is one that pays well below what every employee is worth

I'd say that's more the fault of the pilots than the airline. YV offered pilots a certain pay rate, and the pilots accepted.

If the pilots truly believe they're worth more than that, they would have held out for a greater amount or looked elsewhere for employment. Working for peanuts is a voluntary decision. Unfortunately, it's a decision that increases the bargaining power of management elsewhere, and indirectly erodes pilot pay across the board.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

JoeCanuck

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 16):

I know pilots who've worked for peanuts because that was the only flying job available. Sure, there was way more money available in other industries but they wanted to fly and they thought they could survive on PB&J for a couple of years.

To them, it was a temporary sacrifice which, in the long run, would net them the job they really wanted. It worked too.
The hours and experience earned allowed them to be qualified for the jobs up the ladder when they became available.

If they had held out, their tens of thousands of dollars of training might well have been wasted. I've seen that happen too.
What the...?

flyf15

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:14 am

GoJets guys don't know the mistake they're making when they go there... or they do and don't care. Either way, they're making a mistake that will haunt them for the rest of the careers.

Theres a reason why GoJets pilots walk on the ramp instead of in the terminals, turn their badges around in public, and tell everyone they fly for "United Express".

They're not welcome on my jumpseat and if I encounter one that I'm doing an interview for, they won't be hired.

kstatepilot

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 18):
They're not welcome on my jumpseat and if I encounter one that I'm doing an interview for, they won't be hired.

That is just a kindof rude thing to say about your fellow pilot. What if you needed to get somewhere and gojet was the only airline that flew there. Maybe the captain remembers that you didn't let him on...

You kindof pilots make me sick. It isn't who you work for, it is the fact that you a pilot.

flyf15

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting Kstatepilot (Reply 19):
That is just a kindof rude thing to say about your fellow pilot. What if you needed to get somewhere and gojet was the only airline that flew there. Maybe the captain remembers that you didn't let him on...

You kindof pilots make me sick. It isn't who you work for, it is the fact that you a pilot.

I intentionally plan my commutes in order to avoid them.

GoJets pilots don't do anything to help their fellow pilots. I'm not going to let what happened over at TransStates to create GoJets be forgotten. Pilots are very very good at screwing each other and harming everyone in the process... and I'm not particularly interested in encouraging pilots to work for carriers that help them in doing that.

I am very willing, on the other hand, to explain to any potential GoJets pilot the history of the airline and why it is a bad career choice. Education goes a long way. Hopefully it'll help them change their mind, or at least, if they do it, they know what they were getting themselves into.

There are so many other regionals out there hiring at bare minimum hours that there is absolutely zero excuse to go to an airline like GoJets.

apodino

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:34 am

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 20):
I intentionally plan my commutes in order to avoid them.

GoJets pilots don't do anything to help their fellow pilots. I'm not going to let what happened over at TransStates to create GoJets be forgotten. Pilots are very very good at screwing each other and harming everyone in the process... and I'm not particularly interested in encouraging pilots to work for carriers that help them in doing that.

I am very willing, on the other hand, to explain to any potential GoJets pilot the history of the airline and why it is a bad career choice. Education goes a long way. Hopefully it'll help them change their mind, or at least, if they do it, they know what they were getting themselves into.

There are so many other regionals out there hiring at bare minimum hours that there is absolutely zero excuse to go to an airline like GoJets.

That may be true, but if you listen to ALPA, even they tell you that you should not use the Jumpseat to play union politics. I have read actual ALPA documentation to this fact. And actually, allowing such a pilot may give you your best chance to explain the whole situation to them, because not everyone pays attention to this stuff like A.Net people do.

And if you really want to be technical, you can blame the AA pilots for GoJet. If they didn't have scope in their contract, there would have been no need for Trans States to create GoJet. I know what happened to Trans States, but personally they have never been an airline thats been good to work for in any case, and I personally don't believe they are doing any more to help fellow pilots than GoJet pilots.

And about the other regionals. It seems like they all suck nowadays. I was talking with the United Express folks in ATW the other day, and they say that SkyWest is now as bad as Mesa. I am hearing horror stories about Republic Air Group from pilots who fly for them. Air Wisconsin's operation has imploded recently with ton's of MX issues and a bad route structure. Pinnacle treats their employees like crap. Eagle pays worse than GoJet, and upgrade time is ridiculous. Yes, we all like to pick on GoJet and call them Scabs, but shouldn't we be punishing the management that runs the company, and not the employees?

RJwrench85

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Quoting Kstatepilot (Reply 15):
At least Go Jet is getting newer (NG) CRJ's and not trying to purchase some of the used 700's

Can someone please tell them to order the Oil Replenishment system. PLEASE! Its not fun having to go up and service it at the engine and it would help some of us out. Good for them.
As for this history thing, What is the deal are they non-union or something? I had a UA pilot show me some website that had all the pilots names and phones on it. It was creepy.

but when there is one that pays well below what every employee is worth -- it's hard for me to be nice to a Mesa employee because you work for a total dictator who doesn't give a rats fat butt about you --- and you stay

I dont know where you get your info.....Every time you talk about YV you are misinformed (Mostly MX). I on the other hand get paid more than my OO, S5 and AE counterparts in ORD. And because of my dictator I have been to HI and China. It is horrible I agree
"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"

modesto2

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:08 pm

Ah...the age-old debate about the scum of the scum, GoJets and Mesa. How about both. Management is to blame. The pilots are also to blame. Working in the regional airline industry certainly isn't the most glamorous job, yet I love it. However, I do have some pride and self-worth and with that, I'll at least take myself to a respectable regional. So, in conclusion, I would only deny a jumpseat because of attitude, but I certainly frown upon GoJet and Mesa pilots. Their management sucks and their pilots shot themselves in the foot with such an utterly poor career decision.

kstatepilot

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:27 pm

Quoting RJwrench85 (Reply 22):

Can someone please tell them to order the Oil Replenishment system.

That is an option? I would've thought on the NG's it would com as standard equipment. You are right, it is one of the best pieces of equipment on the aircraft... makes everybodys life easier.

RJwrench85

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:11 pm

Quoting Kstatepilot (Reply 24):
That is an option? I would've thought on the NG's it would com as standard equipment

Yes it is an option. I have 5 AC in my fleet that do not have it and we have to wait until C Check to get it installed. I know it is expensive but the amount of time it saves you on a line check is worth it.

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 11):
has anyone been on one of their flights

Haven't flown them but have done some MX when there current MX Contractor is busy and I haven't seen any sloppy looking people yet.

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 18):
turn their badges around in public,

I have seen this personally many times at O'Hare. I was confused at why though.

Quoting Kstatepilot (Reply 19):

Exactly. With this logic I should have not driven a Trans State Mechanic to his hotel because he was stuck in ORD for the night just because he works for "that other guy" but then again I believe in Karma...what goes around comes around so I dont worry too much.

Back to the subject:
Does anyone know where they are expanding at? ORD IAD DEN? And are they looking at other carriers to expand business?
"Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"

Alias1024

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 16):
I'd say that's more the fault of the pilots than the airline. YV offered pilots a certain pay rate, and the pilots accepted.

Mesa pilots had to give up pay to get the Freedom flying back. Mesa started Freedom with the profits earned by Mesa pilots, but instead of Mesa pilots getting the flying on the Freedom certificate, Mesa found people who were willing to undercut Mesa's pilots and do it for cheaper (known as Freedom A list pilots, and equally despised as GoJet pilots). Mesa pilots lost out on seniority progression and upgrade from their hard work because a bunch of scum decided to undercut them. Mesa pilots accepted lousy pay rates and work rules in order to get the Freedom flying on the same seniority list, preventing Mesa management from playing Mesa pilots against Freedom pilots in a race to the bottom.

GoJet is the same kind of operation as the original Freedom. Go Jet might even be worse, as I believe Trans States was furloughing pilots on the Trans States seniority list while hiring at GoJet.

I commend Flyf15 for taking a stand to protect the pilot profession, and when I've got four stripes I'll be doing the same with my jumpseat.

Quoting Apodino (Reply 21):
And if you really want to be technical, you can blame the AA pilots for GoJet. If they didn't have scope in their contract, there would have been no need for Trans States to create GoJet.

That's only partially correct. The AA scope clause required a second operating certificate, but the pilots could have all been on one integrated seniority list like Republic does with Republic/Chatauqua/Shuttle America all on one master seniority list with one contract covering pilots at all three. One master Trans States seniority list could have been created for both operating certificates, but management figured out that there were enough scumbags out there willing to stab their fellow pilots in the back for a quick upgrade.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

apodino

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 26):
That's only partially correct. The AA scope clause required a second operating certificate, but the pilots could have all been on one integrated seniority list like Republic does with Republic/Chatauqua/Shuttle America all on one master seniority list with one contract covering pilots at all three. One master Trans States seniority list could have been created for both operating certificates, but management figured out that there were enough scumbags out there willing to stab their fellow pilots in the back for a quick upgrade.

If this is what actually happened, then could the TSA pilots have voted out ALPA and voted in the Teamsters so that them and GoJet are represented by the same group, and then they could have insisted on one seniority list for the contract? Just a thought.

And isn't this kind of happening with ASA? I know SkyWest is respected and that ASA pilots just ratified a new contract, but it seems like all the new flying is going to the SkyWest certificate, and SkyWest is slowly whittling away ASA flying at that groups expense for a far more Junior and non-union work force. (Upgrades at SkyWest are so fast nowadays they are starting to resemble Mesa and Chautauqua for pilot force) SkyWest always seems to be very respected, but I see them doing a lot of the same things as the other carriers are. The difference is they seem to recognize employees as people, where TSA and MAG think of them as resources (Hence SkyWest has a people department and not an HR department, much like SouthWest). But still, I can't help but think that SkyWest is going in the direction of everyone else. And that is very sad. Maybe its time for Mainline Pilots in the next round of negotiations to negotiate even stricter scope clauses (AA won't get it, but UA is coming up, and US is still trying to merge, and so on) Or better yet, maybe another work group besides pilots can step up. If a dispatcher contract is up, maybe they can include scope saying that all flying of 70 seats or more must be dispatched by mainline dispatchers, or Flight Attendants can insist that they have to work all flights, or something like that. It would take a lot of pressure off of ALPA, and would benefit everyone, instead of pilots constantly taking the lead in everything.

westindian425

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting Apodino (Reply 21):
And about the other regionals. It seems like they all suck nowadays. I was talking with the United Express folks in ATW the other day, and they say that SkyWest is now as bad as Mesa. I am hearing horror stories about Republic Air Group from pilots who fly for them. Air Wisconsin's operation has imploded recently with ton's of MX issues and a bad route structure. Pinnacle treats their employees like crap. Eagle pays worse than GoJet, and upgrade time is ridiculous. Yes, we all like to pick on GoJet and call them Scabs, but shouldn't we be punishing the management that runs the company, and not the employees?

SkyWest is still one of the darling regionals in the US. The other (despite what Wall Street and many feel about the side businesses) is ExpressJet. Both company treat their employees very well.

The formation of GoJets has left a bad taste in the mouths of many. However, the pilots are unionized now. Folk who join them now can't be considered scabs. Yet, it's the history that would makes this a bad decision.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

loggat

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 28):
However, the pilots are unionized now. Folk who join them now can't be considered scabs

They were never considered genuine scabs. The fact that they are unionized now makes absolutely ZERO difference. Anyone who goes to fly for GoJets is still joining a group of pilots who took away flying from the Trans States pilots.
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't.

xtoler

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:58 am

I feel at home. Bitching about "Hojets" was a daily topic when I was flying. It's bad enough I commuted on them, but it was so easy to get a seat rather than staying with American Connection on TSA. I got ragged enough for being the one straight F/A in RIC to xfer to STL so I could be closer to my wife and daughter in DEN. Every now and again I'd go to STL for a "good boy" award on my one day off. That quit after Charlotte was born. GoJets was trying hard to get me. I couldn't sink that low, despite the fact I'd have more seniority. I think Hulas did a good thing about creating GoJets, but I just don't think he thought things through with his employees with Trans States Airlines. Then again, look at the history of TSA Holdings and thier Scope Cluase with AMR. In Uncle Huli's defense, he was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He wants to fly jets over 50 seats, and make more money. The last ATR we had for American Connection just wasn't cutting it, so just hound United for the regional route. Unfortunately his business decision screwed us out of a lot of jobs, if not a lot of flight hours. Bidness, is bidness, so what can you do? I ain't mad at him.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

xtoler

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:14 am

Since when did TSA furlogh pilots? Say it how you mean, bro, you got fired, or you quit.
EMB145 F/A, F/E, J41 F/A, F/E, because my wife clipped my wings, armchair captain

Alias1024

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting Apodino (Reply 27):
And isn't this kind of happening with ASA? I know SkyWest is respected and that ASA pilots just ratified a new contract, but it seems like all the new flying is going to the SkyWest certificate, and SkyWest is slowly whittling away ASA flying at that groups expense for a far more Junior and non-union work force.

The first difference is that SkyWest was not created to undercut the ASA pilot group. The second is that SkyWest pilots probably (I don't have actual numbers to back this) make more money on average than ASA pilots with similar longevity. SkyWest hourly aren't very far from ASA, but SkyWest had better work rules which resulted in higher pay than at ASA. The new tenative agreement that ASA pilots are voting on seems to be the same workrules as SkyWest, but slightly better hourly rates. If ratified, it remains to be seen whether SkyWest pilots will be given the same deal or not. Not doing so would be a very quick way for management to invite another union drive.

Quoting Xtoler (Reply 31):
Since when did TSA furlogh pilots? Say it how you mean, bro, you got fired, or you quit.

I have never worked for or even applied to TSA. IIRC the furloughs were about a year and a half ago, and were all new hires still in training but on the TSA seniority list. After a few months they were offered recall, but almost all had found other regional flying jobs.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

westindian425

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting Loggat (Reply 29):
They were never considered genuine scabs.

In the beginning they were. Like I said, though, history is what makes joining GoJets today a damning decision in the eyes of many pilots.

Back on topic, though, this does provide some good news to Bombardier. The CRJ program is still successful.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

BR715-A1-30

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:48 am

Ok, Pardon my ignorance, and I feel really stupid for asking this, but what exactly IS the history of GoJet? All I have heard is that there is a history behind them, but nobody will tell me more. Sorry if this is a stupid question  embarrassed   boxedin 
Puhdiddle

BR715-A1-30

Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:45 am

Nevermind that question... I did some research, and apparently they are an operation dedicated to getting around unions
Puhdiddle

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos