shamrock350

RE: 52 North ... Another Wintry Gale Of Irish Aviation

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:07 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 98):

I've travelled with Irish Ferries and Stena Line and although I like the space and I love the sea, I find flying easier, faster and cheaper. The only advantage I can see with ferries is the fact you can take your car and the space that you get onboard.

Irish Ferries seem to always want to attack aviation, here are one of their adverts against flying:

More here: http://www.irishferries.com/more_info/birds_2005.shtml#

OA260

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:33 pm

Just saw that Irish Ferries are launching a new ship on the Ireland-France routes - the 'Oscar Wilde'.

http://www.irishferries.com/oscar_wilde/index.shtml

With such cheap flights to Continental Europe nowadays, do the ferries make much of a profit?

They do amazing business in the Summer. They are packed out. I have a mate who works on the ships and its full of Irish Tourists going to France.

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 95):
Aer Lingus could always create a JetBlue style alliance

Has EI set up the B6 link yet???

EISHN

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:44 pm

Just saw that Irish Ferries are launching a new ship on the Ireland-France routes - the 'Oscar Wilde'.

http://www.irishferries.com/oscar_wilde/index.shtml

With such cheap flights to Continental Europe nowadays, do the ferries make much of a profit?

I noticed that as well. The ship they did have doing the route was disgusting. It had been inherited from other companies and dated back to the 70's.
Ferries are still very popular. For the price of a return flight with EI for one person, is almost the same as bringing your car, and as many people as can fit into it, for much less.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

shamrock350

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:48 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 101):

Unfortunately not, although Aer Lingus recently mentioned it. I remember reading it somewhere earlier this month probably from Enda Corneille. I suppose both airlines have more urgent matters, there is no real rush to yet however I'm sure both airlines will want it in operation by the end of the year.

B747forever

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 101):

What was they going to link???

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 100):

Really cool, how they try to get pax from flying and into their ferries.
Work Hard, Fly Right

rojam

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:36 pm

Yup, and I booked for a 3-week ski trip on the mainland in Feb (curious, no sailings in Jan - must be uber-low demand) and at just €99 each way it's rather good value (no "sports equipment fees" either). I also have them taking me to Wales and back next week so move my stuff to Ireland (am right now waiting on my last Friday night AF5121 after 5 years - well, 4 on AF and 1 on EI back when I-wert-lad).

I've travelled with Irish Ferries and Stena Line and although I like the space and I love the sea, I find flying easier, faster and cheaper.

Ah but the slow way is more civil, and so much more adventurous. 20 hours to Cherbourg is real travelling in my book. Besides, getting horizontal on a ship or choo-choo is so more....better...than mile-high'ing (not that I'd ever do that of course)  Smile  Smile
My 1000th flight: WVB-CPT on SW....no AF or EI or LX...no DUB or ZRH or AMS or CDG

shamrock350

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:00 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 104):
What was they going to link???

They are linking their websites so it will not be a codeshare or interline but an online partnership. It will seem like a codeshare because there will be one itinerary, through check-in and the bags will be transferred. Passengers get the cheapest available seat on an Aer Lingus transatlantic flight and the cheapest available seat on a JetBlue connecting flight.

Both airlines are being very quiet about it at the moment but have said they hope it will be finalised before the end of the year.

Aer Arann and Aer Lingus will have a similar "codeshare" which will initially only cover Aer Arann domestic flights. The cost to both airlines involved is minimal and that's what makes it ideal.

B747forever

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:13 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 106):

Okey. Thank you for explaining it for me.
Work Hard, Fly Right

smokeyrosco

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:25 pm

Anyone know how I would know if I booked bags in when I booked my FR flight? It's the first time I booked an FR flight in 2 years and i can't remember if I decided carry on or checked luggage, I just wanna know if there's an easy way to figure it out, I'm not going away till next weekend.

Quoting EireRock (Reply 87):
Christmas is always a nice time around an airport

I remember my first christmas working at DUB, I was lucky, I got the 23rd and 2th off (shift pattern) and of course christmas day! lucky me, I remeber being one of the first in on Stephens day, it was amazing... there where all sorts of different aircraft in, I remember loading an RE ATR on stand 1 (anyone know where it was (well where it was 3 years ago?) there where 8 people flying on it, it was around 8am departure time and they merged NOC and GWY, into the one flight, I can't remember how many where going where but for some reason I think there was like 3 people to Galway and the rest to Knock.

But I remember thinking I'd never seen as many aircraft parked up in DUB, there where all sorts and one thing that sticks out most in my mind is when, not long after the DUB-NOC-GWY RE had departed that 3 AN's that I'm not sure of the model but they where all the exact same... taxied out together and departed one after the other... these where the smokiest aircraft I'd ever seen.

Amazing day and I am glad I was there for it.

The only advantage I can see with ferries is the fact you can take your car and the space that you get onboard.

ahhh, I love the Ferry, I make I point to do a trip to Liverpool every year for the egg run .... (charity thing... and no I don't have a bike if anyone knows what it is), even the years it was cancelled I went anyway... I love that run something about the ferry that I really enjoy. (and I don't mean the swift.... take the Ferry it takes an hour longer but it's so worth it).
John Hancock

BrianDromey

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 108):
Anyone know how I would know if I booked bags in when I booked my FR flight?

I was going to say check your e-mail conformation its not all that clear though. I see the folloing on mine,
PAYMENT DETAILS
*********0.02 GBP Adult
********15.96 GBP Taxes, Fees & Charges
*********0.00 GBP Aviation / WCHR Levy
*********0.00 GBP Car Rental
*********0.00 GBP Insurance
********15.98 GBP Total Paid

I assume the Baggage could be included in a seperate line, or as a "tax, fee or charge" I havent booked any any anciallaries. If the taxes seem kinda high then there is a good chance you have paid for baggage. The FR website retreval is no help either , Im afraid. Maybe have a look and do a summy booking, see how much the charges are? That said; these same flighs are now 0.01 e.w. and the taxes are Ā£19.98!

If you did not book baggage originally, then you can add it by ringing the call centre, but its the same price as at the airport.

Its not been much help really, sorry!

Brian.

smokeyrosco

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:46 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 109):
assume the Baggage could be included in a seperate line, or as a "tax, fee or charge"

I assumed that, I just want to be sure, If i paid for I want to use it.

Edit: I have a few beers on me now, if noone knows I'll wait till next week and call.

[Edited 2007-11-23 12:49:16]
John Hancock

EISHN

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:36 pm

Quoting Rojam (Reply 105):
(curious, no sailings in Jan - must be uber-low demand)

Also, the ships undergo heavy maintenance at this time in dry docks. My uncle used to work for them so that's how i found out. This, coupled with lower demand.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

OA260

Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 111):
Also, the ships undergo heavy maintenance at this time in dry docks. My uncle used to work for them so that's how i found out. This, coupled with lower demand.

The cabins on the new ship look really nice. Not bad way to get to France. Stock up on the bubbly .

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 88):
Just some BA Ireland info :::

BA now carries 200,000 passengers out of Ireland who connect through LHR or LGW.

8% of all BA traffic originates from Ireland .

Most popular routes for Irish connecting with BA are HKG YVR JFK MIA

Aer Lingus will remain in T1 whilst BA will switch to T5 . Transit times will be 90 mins.

Fascinating info, OA260. It certainly should get some people thinking; mind you, I'm surprised Australian routes weren't in the top group. JFK certainly surprises me, MIA less so, YVR very much and HKG, not too much. I always knew there was a market to Asia. I thought BKK and SIN would be up there too. The fact that 8% of BA's traffic originates in Ireland must surely suggest that there is a need for a movement east.

It will be interesting to see what impact EK, if/when it starts a Dublin route, will have on this. Obviously it won't affect US or Canadian routes (unless it's given fifth freedom rights?), but it may affect routes like HKG and Australia.

More frustratingly, had there been foresight in years gone by, we wouldn't be stuck with this %$£(*!! runway which is 2,000' too short.

OA260

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:52 pm

You know I was out with some mates in a bar the other day and some of their mates joined us. The subject of holidays came up and around 6 of the lads go to BKK on hols and to meet the locals (say no more) lol..... Anyway they told me that they always fly Etihad and have even joined the Guest FF program!!! They said it was the best way to fly and AUH was easy to transit. These are just your normal everyday lads who know nothing about aviation etc..... so EY is appealing to everyday Irish people and the word is getting around. On average their tickets cost them EUR 800 all in from what they were telling me .

Looks like EY is getting a major chunk of Irish clients business and also you would be surprised how much TK are getting.

MIA does not surprise me. If it wasnt on the list then there would be something wrong. Makes a case for a MIA route along side the MCO one. But as I stated before you need to have a decent product. And note that EY BA and TK have a very good product.

JFK should be a warning to EI !!! I would love to know the BA IAD Irish originating traffic. When I have also gone Via LHR and connected to IAD or ORD on UA you would also be surprised how many passengers from the BMI flight from DUB were on the same flight with me with UA to IAD or ORD. On two occassions we were late into LHR and ground staff from UA had a mini bus waiting to take us to the T3. There were around 9 of us and I was the only one in Business class. The rest were Irish and Americans in First!!! Thats good revenue to have .

BrianDromey

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 114):
There were around 9 of us and I was the only one in Business class. The rest were Irish and Americans in First!!! Thats good revenue to have .

Indeed, the new UA product outclasses EI's Premier (both versions) from what I have seen of the photos, at least from the seat point of view. To attract the savvy customer EI needs to get the long haul J up t speed, but no matter what EI will always have this blind loyalty. I was chatting to my flatmate about my ATH trip, but dont EI fly there too? says he. He did not seem too keen on the idea of Swiss....we'll see. Hes not too keen on diamond club either. It does not have the snob appeal of Gold Circle, despite the fact it is light years ahead of GC!

Maybe we are overanalysing what people want. The snobbery of pre-boarding, luggage tags, and a few frills, extra space and better standard of food in J. I have to say EI does that pretty well.....

Brian.

EireRock

Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 108):
I remember loading an RE ATR on stand 1 (anyone know where it was

Wasn't it just past where the FR corridor starts now at the end of the old terminal, close to hangar6 at SRT??

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 115):
Hes not too keen on diamond club either. It does not have the snob appeal of Gold Circle, despite the fact it is light years ahead of GC!

From what i see dealing with BMI at DUB, diamond club seems to be a great product, a hotmeal on every flight to LHR, the only carrier to offer J class to LHR from DUB and the cabin crew are usually fantastic with Irish crew on every second rotation. I travelled with them to a footie game a few weeks back (in economy mind you) and they were far cheaper than EI, the outbound fare was 36euro all in and i had to return with EI due to flight times, that was double the price!!

OA260

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:31 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 115):
It does not have the snob appeal of Gold Circle, despite the fact it is light years ahead of GC!

I wouldnt say GC has the snob appeal!!! Maybe the Ones who think they are lol..... GC is not the kind of FF it used to be by any measure. Go back 8-10 years and it was really something but now its a mess.

Quoting EireRock (Reply 116):
From what i see dealing with BMI at DUB, diamond club seems to be a great product, a hotmeal on every flight to LHR, the only carrier to offer J class to LHR from DUB and the cabin crew are usually fantastic with Irish crew on every second rotation. I travelled with them to a footie game a few weeks back (in economy mind you) and they were far cheaper than EI, the outbound fare was 36euro all in and i had to return with EI due to flight times, that was double the price!!

Yep BMI deffo have a good product and one of the most generous FF programs around. Lots of carriers to earn and burn miles on and nice worldwide network of lounges. I'm 5 years Star Gold card holder and I will carry on for another 5 then I get life membership !!! Thats a FF program. Also 4 upgrade certs to the new BMI PE class per year.

EireRock

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:03 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 117):
Yep BMI deffo have a good product and one of the most generous FF programs around. Lots of carriers to earn and burn miles on and nice worldwide network of lounges. I'm 5 years Star Gold card holder and I will carry on for another 5 then I get life membership !!! Thats a FF program. Also 4 upgrade certs to the new BMI PE class per year.

Fantastic, especially the lifetime membership, rewarding valued customers is something which should be paramount in any business, whether it be an airline or not.

From the loads i see on BMI J class i can't see why EI dont re-introduce J class on some of their short haul routes(LHR, AMS, CDG), i know this has been discussed here before but it still beggars belief!

BestWestern

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:04 am

Aer Arann article

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...ends-on-jets-decision-1229529.html

Aer Arann will decide next year whether to buy a fleet of jets in a move that could expand the company's operational footprint deeper into continental Europe.

The carrier's chief executive, Garry Cullen, said that if Aer Arann decides to buy jet aircraft, then the company's capital requirements will also have to be re-examined.

Mr Cullen added that the aircraft manufactured by Brazilian firm Embraer or by Bombardier would probably be more suitable to Aer Arann's future route expansion.

Aer Arann has just inked a new domestic code-sharing agreement with Aer Lingus.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...ost-battles-e14m-bill-1229551.html

'Low-cost' battle's e1.4m bill

RYANAIR'S attempted takeover of Aer Lingus cost the Government €1.4m on lawyers to fend off the bid.

Former Transport Minister Martin Cullen hired international law firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, to give him legal advice on Michael O'Leary's takeover shot.

The bill from the lawyers hired to fight the Ryanair bid was by far the largest payout from any department. The cost was €1.373m and they may be needed again if the rejection of the bid by the EU is appealed.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

neutral

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:04 pm

Quoting OA260 Reply 114 Looks like EY is getting a major chunk of Irish clients business and also you would be surprised how much TK are getting.

Will TK go daily next summer on the Istanbul route and how well are they doing ?

Thanks,
Neutral

OA260

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:33 pm

Quoting Neutral (Reply 120):
Will TK go daily next summer on the Istanbul route and how well are they doing ?

Not 100% but I think they will maintain their 5 weekly flights. They have some very good fares and they seem to do well. Dont have any info on loads though.

B747forever

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:53 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 113):
It will be interesting to see what impact EK, if/when it starts a Dublin route, will have on this

That will be really interesting to see. Think that EK will take away some pax from BA.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 121):
think they will maintain their 5 weekly flights.

Do TK serve DUB 5 times per week all the year around???
Work Hard, Fly Right

OA260

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:16 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 122):
Do TK serve DUB 5 times per week all the year around???

Yes it was increased during this year.

1..4... DUB IST 1120 1730 TK1976 738
.2..5.7 DUB IST 1435 2050 TK1978 738

COEI2007

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:33 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 113):
Quoting OA260 (Reply 88):
Just some BA Ireland info :::

BA now carries 200,000 passengers out of Ireland who connect through LHR or LGW.

8% of all BA traffic originates from Ireland .

Most popular routes for Irish connecting with BA are HKG YVR JFK MIA

Aer Lingus will remain in T1 whilst BA will switch to T5 . Transit times will be 90 mins.

I know BA do well with Irish pax ex DUB to MCO via LGW. I wonder how EI's new MCO service will affect numbers? I wonder how much affect EI's new DUB-LGW service will have on BA's DUB-LGW service? I wonder will we see them dropping the route in favour for a code-share? They've recently dropped ABZ as they try to find the a/c to take over ex GT/BMED routes.

I've heard more about Mr. VS in EI. I'm hoping some changes will come into effect very soon. Simple long-haul changes could make the world of difference. I've flown on EI-EWR a few times and its a shame that EI wont upgrade the a/c to the new J and Y cabins like they have on DUO/DUZ. I know BA etc offer fantastic products, but if EI offered the new J on all 330-200's, we would have a consistent product on LA, SFO and IAD which would be a big improvement. Add in an improvement to GC, and business pax and corporate clients would be easier to attract, and would make the likes of IAD succesful

B747forever

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 123):
Yes it was increased during this year.

Okey, I see.

Maybe DUB will get in 2009 a daily flight to IST.
Work Hard, Fly Right

neutral

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:47 pm

I've used the TK flight twice to go to Bodrum via Istanbul both flights were very full.A lot of people use Istanbul to connect onwards and also people like myself going on to Bodrum,Izmir and Antalya.Excellant service and good space on the planes.I'm surprised Aer Lingus have not looked at Istanbul yet.

B747forever

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:23 pm

Quoting Neutral (Reply 126):
I'm surprised Aer Lingus have not looked at Istanbul yet.

Maybe IST will not work for EI. Think that TK has a better product, or are I wrong??
Work Hard, Fly Right

neutral

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:39 pm

I would think TK have a better service for a 4 hour flight than EI possible the reason why they have not started IST

B747forever

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting Neutral (Reply 128):
I would think TK have a better service for a 4 hour flight than EI

That is what I also think. It will be hard for EI to compete with TK.
Work Hard, Fly Right

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:53 pm

It's quite a long trip to IST and I think on a trip of that length, I'd prefer to have the comfort of a full service airline; the other thing, of course, is that TK is marketing IST as a major regional hub - and very successfully. TK has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years. It's not widely known, perhaps, but this is TK's second time serving DUB; its first attempt was in 1981, via LHR and it didn't last long, but of course, the TK of '81 is a hugely different one from that today. TK only got its first widebody in 1985 (A310) and started service to JFK, via BRU, in the late '80s. Until the A310s came along, it didn't even have a Business Class. Now, I see on another thread that even the A380 isn't considered too small.

I guess it makes sense, in that if DXB can work as a hub, there's no reason why IST can't; it was after all at the heart (if one can use that word in relation to the Ottomans) of two empires, when it was Constantinople.

There is also another thread running about new frequencies and routes for TK, but I didn't see any mentioned for DUB; however, that doesn't stop them using a 321 now and again. It would be very interesting to get some idea of the breakdown of traffic to/through IST (similar to what OA 260 provided us in relation to BA and LHR)?

BrianDromey

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:57 pm

I think IST, ATH and DME would be three good candidates for overnight operation, and the canairs would be reasonable too. IST could be operated something like this:
DUB IST 22:00 04:00
IST DUB 0530 08:15

The times are not too bad, and as EI wont be looking to do onward connections from IST, the late arrival would be OK. It would avoid much of the traffic peaks at DUB too. I dont know if there are night time operating restriction into IST? I assume not. I would be a good way to move into the mid-haul market EI beleives it would be better able to operate in Vs FR. The a/c would be abel to do a full days work on shorter routes as well, pushing up overall fleet utilisation.

Brian.

B747forever

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:00 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 131):
IST could be operated something like this:

Interesting times you give for example. But I think that the return flight is a little bit to early.
Work Hard, Fly Right

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:08 pm

This could be adjusted; I remember we discussed this some time ago; I think Moscow would be a very interesting place for this kind of route, as there is a three hour time difference; you could have an acft leaving DUB at say 23.30, 4h flight, plus 3h time difference, so arrival at c. 6.30am, then leaving at 7.30-8am, which is nice and civilised! With the 3h time diff and a 4h30 return, that would allow a 9-9.30am arrival into DUB. Of course, with S7 about to start to DME, TK flying to ATH and EI using a day flight to ATH, I don't think they like the idea; maybe if they went further afield - LCA (which has been mentioned), TLV or CAI, it might be a possiblity. It would certainly boost utilisation.

BestWestern

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:31 pm

Overnight short haul flights play havok with crew rosters, and are also lower yielding. Hence FR, EZY and EI only using them in the heart of summer.

OA260

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:36 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 131):

That would be a disaster and will never work. It will miss all the Asia connections .

DUB IST 1120 1730 TK1976

IST BKK 2340#1340 TK 60

------------

DUB IST 1120 1730 TK1976

IST SIN 2355#1625 TK 66

BrianDromey

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:46 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 132):
I think that the return flight is a little bit to early.

I agree, its not ideal, perhaps adjusting the departure time by an hour would do it. The a/c could operate a series of DUB-MAN-DUB runs (4 rtn) during the day and then proceed to IST, etc. It would need to operate something else after return though, a CDG, FRA, VIE or whatever departs around 1000, Im not to sure.

I think this might be a bit more suited to the ORK or BFS bases as a mens of getting very different destinations served. Weekly Fri/Sat rotations to say a greek Island and one of the Canaries during the summer schedule. I think the connections market helps the foreign cariers out of DUB.

Brian.

BestWestern

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:46 pm

For example - Tomorrow

[KVS Availability Tool 3.0.1/Lite - Apollo: ITN/US-ARL]

DUB Dublin IE [EIDW]
BKK Bangkok Int'l TH [VTBD]
SUN 25 Nov 2007

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- -----------------------------------------------------
TK 1978 DUB 14:35 IST 20:50 738 0 J7 C7 D7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 S7 E7 Q7 T7 L7 V7 U7 W7 G7 A7
-> TK 60 IST 23:40 BKK 13:40 +1 343 0 J7 C4 D6 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 S7 E0 Q7 T7 L7 V7 U7 W7 G7 A7

BrianDromey

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:57 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 137):
For example - Tomorrow

Seems wide open.....

B747forever

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:10 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 135):
DUB IST 1120 1730 TK1976

The TK flight would be perfect if they would change the departure from DUB with a hour to 12:20. It is a really long wait for the Asian connections.
Work Hard, Fly Right

OA260

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:15 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 139):
It is a really long wait for the Asian connections.

2 Hours 50 mins is not a long time. You need to allow an hour for delays and then boarding the next flight begins 40 mins before. So you are not actually waiting around that much.

B747forever

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 140):
2 Hours 50 mins is not a long time.

If you calculate as you did it is not a long wait, but if you count from when the flight land and the next one depart it is 6.5-7hrs.

But of course you have right. It is almost 3hrs and it is not to bad.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BrianDromey

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:30 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 141):
But of course you have right. It is almost 3hrs and it is not to bad.

That kind of time fram is pretty much necessary to allow for things going wrong. I tried a ORK-DUB-LBA connection with FR at one stage, I did not have any baggage, and I had checked-in on-line for both flights. I had about an hour and 10 in DUB. The ORK-DUB was delayed by an hour, I made the LBA flight, but only because the LBA was late arriving as well, by an hour. Its not something I would do again, leavign such a short connection. Toulose was quite stressed about his LGW connection too....on such routes its not too bad, as there is usually another one in a few hours, but if you had to overnight, it would be a bit of an inconevnience.

Brian.

B747forever

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:36 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 142):
had about an hour and 10 in DUB. The ORK-DUB was delayed by an hour, I made the LBA flight, but only because the LBA was late arriving as well, by an hour.

Wow, you had the luck on your side that day.

But sometimes short connections works.

Back in 2006 on the 20th June, we flew with BA from ARN to LAX. We had just one hour in LHR to catch our flight, and we made it without any bigger problems. The flight to LAX departed 10:05 and we arrived in LHR at 09:10 from ARN.
Work Hard, Fly Right

OA260

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:37 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 141):
one depart it is 6.5-7hrs.

Sorry there is another connection also that is only 2hrs 50 mins between flights.... Better connection is on Tue/Fri/Sun

B747forever

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 144):
there is another connection also that is only 2hrs 50 mins between flights

Okey I see.

But I think that TK has matched their flight with connections from IST right. Better to have plenty of time instead of stressing.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BestWestern

RE: 52 North ... Another Wintry Gale Of Irish Avia

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:25 pm

Interesting to note the loads on SNN LHR over the last three days. Lower than ORK LHR, but not depressingly poor.

EI 372 A320 123 pax sat 111pax fri 81pax thu
EI 376 A320 106 pax sat 142 pax fri 124 pax thu
EI 382 A320 75 pax sat 147 pax fri 137 pax thu

in comparison to ORK LHR

EI 710 A321 188 pax sat 169 fri 180 thu
EI 712 A321 140 pax sat 184 fri 143 thu
EI 722 A321 211 pax sat 200 fri 186 thu
EI 724 A321 83 pax sat 155 fri 174 thu

[Edited 2007-11-24 12:30:59]

B747forever

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:29 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 146):
Now you can see why SNN was cut over ORK.

That is true.

Really interesting numbers.
Work Hard, Fly Right

COEI2007

Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:37 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 146):
Interesting to note the loads on SNN LHR over the last three days. Lower than ORK LHR, but not depressingly poor.

EI 372 A320 123 pax sat 111pax fri 81pax thu
EI 376 A320 106 pax sat 142 pax fri 124 pax thu
EI 382 A320 75 pax sat 147 pax fri 137 pax thu

in comparison to ORK LHR

EI 710 A321 188 pax sat 169 fri 180 thu
EI 712 A321 140 pax sat 184 fri 143 thu
EI 722 A321 211 pax sat 200 fri 186 thu
EI 724 A321 83 pax sat 155 fri 174 thu

That says nothing about yeilds. ORK could have had 100 people paying E50, whilst SNN could have had 50 people paying E100! Still, ORK numbers look good!

BrianDromey

Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 148):
ORK could have had 100 people paying E50, whilst SNN could have had 50 people paying E100! Still, ORK numbers look good!

Fares likely to be the other way round! Friday fares to ORK from LHR are never less than 29GBP, but usually 59GBP each way + taxes, or upwards. Last winter the 725 always went out packed, not a seat free usually on the A320. The A321 does make sense on this route.

BTW, where did you get these figures?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos