EireRock

RE: 52 North ... Another Wintry Gale Of Irish Aviation

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 195):
If EI cant see that their long haul product is lacking, then thats their loss.

I totally agree with you here Brian, especially with DM having seen how EK runs their long-haul operation. EI seem to be happy to just let their long-haul product suffer. I personally am not one bit surprised that 8% of BA's onward connections come from Ireland infact one person i know regularly travels to MCO via Gatwick with BA. And even though EI have started the route again he stated that BA were cheaper and worth the transfer in Gatwick.

OA260

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:51 am

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...uckling-1230031.html?service=Print

Airport's ugly duckling
DUBLIN Airport Authority boasted last week that its duck-like facilities are being transformed into a swan. Let's hope the swan arrives with new steps.

This month, for the second time in two years, I flew into Dublin Airport only to find myself and my fellow passengers stuck on board because steps brought to get us off the aircraft did not work.

---------------------

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer...qa=business-qqqid=48830-qqqx=1.asp

26 November 2007

Share fall hits pilots’ pension fund

By Ian Guider
AER Lingus pilots and their pension fund are sitting on paper losses of close to €18.5 million after the carrier’s shares closed at an all-time low last week.

----------------------

BrianDromey

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:13 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 196):
(Sorry, twelve months since what?)

Sory, since we were last discussing what EI would do to the 330s over the winter.

I appreciate that the A333s are being retired in the next year or two, BUT hasn't it occurred to EI that investment - and even a bigger J Class cabin (as it used to have) would bring higher revenue? Or is it that loads in J Class on the 105 are sufficient to allow the current position to continue?

Im not too sure, I think that their little deal with BA is pretty cosy, and the might be makeing more from that from a paqx revenue/mile than they would be on their own metal over the atlantic?

Quoting EireRock (Reply 200):
I totally agree with you here Brian, especially with DM having seen how EK runs their long-haul operation.

The thing is though that until recently the EK seats have not been up to much in J either. 2-3-2 on the 330s, but the upside was the food and service from the crews. A lot more polished and poised than EI, so they could get aways with it. The Permier EI service (not that I ve used it) does not seem all that fantastic in any one area. Maybe DM thinks he can get away with a mediocre seat product like EK did until recently.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 201):
This month, for the second time in two years, I flew into Dublin Airport only to find myself and my fellow passengers stuck on board because steps brought to get us off the aircraft did not work.

Hardly the DAAs fault? And how can steps not work after they have been brought to the aircrat? They must have been at the worng adjustment for the heiht of the door. The DAA cant do much about that......

Brian.

EIDAA

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:51 am

Airport's ugly duckling
DUBLIN Airport Authority boasted last week that its duck-like facilities are being transformed into a swan. Let's hope the swan arrives with new steps.

Reading that article just makes me laugh. He must not travel very often...
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

smokeyrosco

Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:19 am

It occurs to me that many of these people - investment bankers, investment managers, commercially important people, are also shareholders; why aren't they making more of a ballyhoo about EI's service product?

Well, here's the thing, when 4 share holders own around 75% of the company, there is much left to be spread around these people. Thats the flaw with EI's privatisation. The only people that can be seen to be shouting about their investments are the three main shareholders.... The Government, Staff and FR all of which also shouldn't be allowed interfere with the running of the airline.

AER Lingus pilots and their pension fund are sitting on paper losses of close to �18.5 million after the carrier�s shares closed at an all-time low last week.

Maybe this will drive the point home to the Unions, hurt Aer Lingus and it's YOUR MEMBERS future that your putting at risk.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 202):

Hardly the DAAs fault?

Not at all, It's the Handling agent and it happens ALL the time. I once handled an EU-JET and I sent one of the my team to get steps, We only had one set that was suitable and it was nowhere to be found. The people where stuck on the aircraft for 20 minutes while we had to locate suitable steps and get permission for their owner (our competitor) to use them. Even though there is competition in the Airport between handlers, there is a lot of helping each other through loaning of equipment.
John Hancock

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 pm

Quoting EireRock (Reply 200):
I personally am not one bit surprised that 8% of BA's onward connections come from Ireland infact one person i know regularly travels to MCO via Gatwick with BA. And even though EI have started the route again he stated that BA were cheaper and worth the transfer in Gatwick.

In fairness, it should also be pointed out that EI takes a good number of pax of UK regional destinations via DUB, even from LHR, so it's not all one-sided. There was a time, in the early to mid-90s, when AL Commuter was at its height, that EI served more UK cities from DUB than any other airline did from a UK point - LBA, EMA, BRS etc - and it occurred to me then that if there was an effective "DubHub", EI could do very well; of course, as we know, the stopover got in the way, but I would be optimistic of being able to return to that potential if (a) DUB could have an effective airside connection facility and (b) the interline/codeshare agreement with RE goes ahead. That, to me, is the most exciting prospect for EI right now.

With regard to the A330s, I think their age is against them and maybe EI feels that if LFs on DUB-JFK are doing well, they'll do fine for now, until the new 330s arrive; it is unfortunate, but understandable. The problem is, of course, that word can spread; EI launched its new J Class with some fanfare and it certainly won't go down well to tell someone who's just paid €1500 that it's not available on that particular route for the foreseeable future. However, at least change is planned - even if it's not coming as fast as one would hope.

B747forever

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:58 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 205):
There was a time, in the early to mid-90s, when AL Commuter was at its height, that EI served more UK cities from DUB than any other airline did from a UK point

Wow, that had to be great years for EI.
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock604

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:59 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 204):
Maybe this will drive the point home to the Unions, hurt Aer Lingus and it's YOUR MEMBERS future that your putting at risk.

Finally someone has made the point!!!! Now all some of the staff need to is realise that expansion and profits are in their interests and strikes and unrest are not...

You are owners now folks... lets hope you all make a go of it!

EireRock

Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:14 pm

In fairness, it should also be pointed out that EI takes a good number of pax of UK regional destinations via DUB, even from LHR

It would be very interesting to know what this percentage is, to compare with the opposite direction.

the interline/codeshare agreement with RE goes ahead. That, to me, is the most exciting prospect for EI right now.

I agree with you here Kaitak, the old EI commuter routes will most probably never return and so the RE agreement if properly implemented should give EI more access to UK connecting traffic and it makes good sense, let RE fly an ATR into EMA, LBA and then connect the pax on with EI to USA. Much more cost effective than having to fly a half empty A320 into EMA or LBA. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds

COEI2007

Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:30 pm

I understand that 'DUZ is now tasked to the SNN-DUB-ORD route almost exclusively, so what is being provided on the 105 is the old style product

I didnt know DUZ is solely on ORD?

As much as we all like to moan about EI and how they wont upgrade their L/H service, their J service is as good as CO, DL or AA's J service ex DUB. EI arent going to try and compete with BA/VS etc, as they cant justify upgrading the older 330's as they feel they wont be around for that long. The 330-200's arent that old, and really should be upgraded, but you just never know with EI!

[Edited 2007-11-26 07:33:57]

EireRock

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:08 pm

I just came across this very funny clip on youtube, hope nobody is offended but its a Monday and i think we all need a laugh.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn_NI9QwQPI

B747forever

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:16 pm

Quoting EireRock (Reply 210):

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Thank you for making up my day.  bigthumbsup 
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock350

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 209):
EI arent going to try and compete with BA/VS

That's true, I doubt it's a surprise to EI that BA have a lot of Irish passengers and it's nothing new so that's probably why EI are in no rush to upgrade aircraft that will leave in a few years.

I would like EI to update the A332s, theres not excuse not to and it would mean 4 out of the 7 US route would get the new product. I would also like to see EI start on a new menu and other improvements for long-haul.

I understand that 'DUZ is now tasked to the SNN-DUB-ORD route almost exclusively

That's true, it's been on ORD exclusively since 28/10/2007 before that it was a mix of JFK, ORD and BOS. I think that's a good move, it's the longest route that requires an A333 and it could mean that Aer Lingus will be able to refit EI-JFK with PTVs and operate BOS/JFK without any weight limits plus 'JFK will be around until 2016. EISHN mentioned this possibility in reply 192.

LOL I've seen that one before. Nice way to brighten up a gloomy Monday  bigthumbsup 

jwmd123

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 209):
As much as we all like to moan about EI and how they wont upgrade their L/H service, their J service is as good as CO, DL or AA's J service ex DUB. EI arent going to try and compete with BA/VS etc, as they cant justify upgrading the older 330's as they feel they wont be around for that long. The 330-200's arent that old, and really should be upgraded, but you just never know with EI!

I think this is very true. Whilst we hear of those numbers transiting to LHR and connecting with BA or VS ex USA, EI should only focus on it's immediate market. On a comparision basis, whilst we have seen some decreases in Loads ex USA, I would imagine that the overall load factor is up there with the best of them in terms of numbers.

Now while I know that LF does not translate into good yields, I don't think EI would be selling the seats at a loss.

shamrock350

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:54 pm

The new tower in Cork is scheduled for structural completion by May 2008. Equipment installation will be later in 2008 and it should be in operation by May 2009.

B747forever

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:59 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 214):

Didn't know that Cork would get a new tower.

So in 2009 they will close down the present tower.
Work Hard, Fly Right

shamrock350

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:04 pm

Nice photo of EI-ASI from 1991.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fergal Goodman

Quoting B747forever (Reply 215):
So in 2009 they will close down the present tower.

Yes, heres a photo of the progress from CorkSpotters.com:

http://www.cork-spotters.com/photo/displayimage.php?album=4&pos=0

B747forever

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:17 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 216):
Yes, heres a photo of the progress from CorkSpotters.com:

Thank you for the link.

They have made a good progress on the new tower.
Work Hard, Fly Right

EISHN

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:37 pm

Regarding DUZ operating the ORD route, it's not a bad idea. The NYC route has three carriers, EI, DL, and CO. EI has the upper hand in terms of capacity, and brand recognition at home. DL has "minging" 763's on the DUB-JFK route, and an okay 757 from SNN. CO has 757's from both SNN and DUB, which are good, or there abouts (never flown with them so can't really say). So EI has a fairly good product compared to DL and CO interior wise. Service, DL wins, but that's another story. BOS has no competition there, so they don't need newer planes. Same for IAD, and MCO (in terms of direct competition). ORD has AA, and is the longest A333 route, so it makes more sense to send it on a route where it can compete more easily against AA, then to NYC where loads will be good regardless of interior.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

bx737

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:37 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 168):
Bx737, it was Pilots I mentioned. Not Cabin crew or other service related staff. I did not refer to service either, it was commercial decisions like new routes, bases etc etc.

No -ones views should ever be disregarded but many EI pilots seem to the think the airline exists justs for them.

True enough you did mention pilots, but there was criticism of all staff and the comments that all staff have to shoulder some of the blame for the current IR difficulties in EI. That is true, but it is indicative of deep rooted problems and it does display a lack of trust within the airline. I stated some of the reasons in the thesis I wrote above (my fingers still haven't recovered).

The airline needs to be more dynamic in its outlook, the opening of new routes and bases shows this dynamism in operation and it is good to see. It would be great to see EI grow to be a big player in Europe. But EI needs to tackle all aspects of its operation. Why do people like NU think that it is better to fly through LHR than with EI. The entire product has to be reviewed, catering is poor, the IFE is poor and the cabins need a complete revamp, that is true. This is why I think EI management have taken their eye off the ball.

OA260

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:41 pm

I just came across this very funny clip on youtube, hope nobody is offended but its a Monday and i think we all need a laugh.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn_NI9QwQPI

That was posted 30 threads ago by Legoguy I think !!! It was someone up here anyway LOL....... Still very funny to hear it again.

smokeyrosco

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:30 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 214):
The new tower in Cork is scheduled for structural completion by May 2008. Equipment installation will be later in 2008 and it should be in operation by May 2009.

Who is paying for that?  Smile

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 219):
The airline needs to be more dynamic in its outlook,

Same could be said for that staff.... and I'll add that I'm sure it has been noticed by 3 or 4 people on here I have a problems with some portions of EI staff but that is almost 100% the ground staff, I never worked with the Cabin Crew or pilots but I did work with the ground crews and the cargo crews. Thats a hole that money is being dumped into, its like the health service... give it more money and it just becomes a richer problem. Hire a few hundred polish and sack them all (well most of them)... then you'll save a few million.

I want to make it clear I know what the difference is between different sections of EI.
John Hancock

tonymctigue

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:52 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 204):

Now you said it. It is employees own best interest to co-operate with EI when it comes to implementing changes. Not that they should male huge concessions because I'm sure some EI staff do not own any shares in the company but for those who do, EI is partly their company & the value of their holding wil depend greatly on the efficiency of the company.

laughing 
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

smokeyrosco

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:00 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 222):
because I'm sure some EI staff do not own any shares in the company

It's part of their pension.
John Hancock

BrianDromey

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:02 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 221):
Who is paying for that?

The IAA, I believe. It was coming along nicely the last time I was home and is in a much better position to monitor happenings on the ramp, as it is on the other dise of the Runway. Hopefully it will make it a little easier for the guys up there.

Brian.

bx737

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:54 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 221):
Same could be said for that staff....

Totally agree with you, Smokeyrosco and Tonymctigue. It is probably fair to say that the ground staff are the most vulnerable in terms of cutbacks, so are the ones making the most noise. There have been consistent rumours of outsourcing the ground functions, IIRC DM did say that there would be no outsourcing for a few years, those years could nearly be up.

I am a shareholder and it is in my interest to see the company do well. The company does need to be more efficient in ALL areas from the top all of the way down through the ranks and I do include all levels of management. Cabin crew numbers cannot be cut as we are operating to minimum numbers on most flights. Some conditions can be cut and improvements in efficiencies can be made and are currently being negotiated. EI was supposed to implement a new rostering system for the cabin crew in 2002 which would improve productivity, we are still waiting for this. My union wants this rostering system, but there is no sign of it.

shamrock604

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 225):
Some conditions can be cut and improvements in efficiencies can be made and are currently being negotiated. EI was supposed to implement a new rostering system for the cabin crew in 2002 which would improve productivity, we are still waiting for this. My union wants this rostering system, but there is no sign of it.

Indeed, and it is true that EI rosters are still produced on paper!!! While computerised systems can have their faults, its about choosing the right one....Cabin crew should really have the most to gain from this, as it is about time that those of you on who are short haul weighted had some predictability to your roster patters. The pilots, as usual, have that luxury, but the cabin crew dont.

There are so many efficiency improvments that could still be made within the office functions of Aer Lingus, it is mind boggling! Rather than focusing on the easy targets (cabin crew etc) perhaps DM might like to investigate why areas like staff travel, rostering etc are still using outdated, technology phobic practices.

Again, BX737, so I can clarify, nothing I say is meant to offend those of you on here who work for EI. I say it as someone who wants to see EI prosper.

BrianDromey

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 226):
There are so many efficiency improvments that could still be made within the office functions of Aer Lingus, it is mind boggling! Rather than focusing on the easy targets (cabin crew etc) perhaps DM might like to investigate why areas like staff travel, rostering etc are still using outdated, technology phobic practices.

I was thinking about this just a few minutes ago. EI manaement have publically stated that they believe the EI product is worth premium over FR. They also believe that EI will have a distinct advantage over FR on routes >2.5 hrs, should they ever launch such routes. Sounds like a managenment deluding themselves into a comfort zone about teh market place, and how good their product actually is.

Ill put it like this, LX are chaeper in Y to ATH than EI are for most of June, and FR have EI beaten on price a lot of teh time on competing routes. EI strikes me as going through some sort of transition. The public face still makes refrence to low fares, but "low fares.way better" is gone from the mind of EI. Now it seems to be "avergae to high fares and we'll still take the ancillaries. way better" Certainly if new management positions are an indication.

Be one thing or the other, this hybrid thing is getting silly. Go back two years, or go back 10 years. But dont go o whatever deluded sense of reality they seem to be going towards.

Brian.

smokeyrosco

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:03 am

Two Busses passed me today on my way to work (no I'm not that slow, I was stuck at lights), anyway they both had ads for the DAA one had a picture of a frog and said something along the line of transferring into a prince and another one with a caterpillar and the tag is transferring into a butterfly.
John Hancock

shamrock604

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:02 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 228):
Two Busses passed me today on my way to work (no I'm not that slow, I was stuck at lights), anyway they both had ads for the DAA one had a picture of a frog and said something along the line of transferring into a prince and another one with a caterpillar and the tag is transferring into a butterfly

Cheesy.... they really would want to deliver on those promises on the ads will come back to haunt them... I'm sure MO'L's cartoonists have already gone into overdrive...  Smile

ThrottleHold

RE: 52 North ... Another Wintry Gale Of Irish Avia

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:14 pm

it is about time that those of you on who are short haul weighted had some predictability to your roster patters. The pilots, as usual, have that luxury, but the cabin crew dont.

The pilots have the luxury of a prdeictable roster??.......I don't think so. Be careful hat large chip you seem to have on your shoulder doesn't topple you over.

EIDAA

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:29 pm

Quoting ThrottleHold (Reply 230):
The pilots have the luxury of a prdeictable roster??.......

As a matter of interest, what is an EI pilot's roster like these days? How far in advance do you get your "schedule"? Is it similar to cabin crew?

Thanks
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

bx737

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:41 pm

Again, BX737, so I can clarify, nothing I say is meant to offend those of you on here who work for EI. I say it as someone who wants to see EI prosper.

No offence was taken, I just want to see EI prosper too and I get irked when I see inefficiencies in the company and I can do nothing about them, knowing that its my profits that are being frittered away (this is being said as a shareholder).

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 227):
I was thinking about this just a few minutes ago. EI manaement have publically stated that they believe the EI product is worth premium over FR. They also believe that EI will have a distinct advantage over FR on routes >2.5 hrs, should they ever launch such routes. Sounds like a managenment deluding themselves into a comfort zone about teh market place, and how good their product actually is

This is worrying and shows that they have lost the plot altogether. EI are competing with FR on TFS which the last time I worked it was over 2.5hrs. EI has been seen off the FUE by FR. This was avoidable as in a local paper in the Canary Islands the advantages of flying with EI over FR were highlighted, especially in relation to congestion in DUB on early morning flights. There was no advertising in the canaries by EI. This is stupid in my opinion.

tonymctigue

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 228):
Two Busses passed me today on my way to work (no I'm not that slow, I was stuck at lights), anyway they both had ads for the DAA one had a picture of a frog and said something along the line of transferring into a prince and another one with a caterpillar and the tag is transferring into a butterfly.

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 229):
Cheesy.... they really would want to deliver on those promises on the ads will come back to haunt them... I'm sure MO'L's cartoonists have already gone into overdrive...

Yes I'm sure we will see an FR pisstake on these ads in the not too distant future. Similar ads have been in the Irish Times of late since the new pier opened. They rank up there with the "Time to eradicate the Celtic Snail" billboard that Fine Gael had a few years back. Does anyone remember those? Theye appeared towards the tail end of John Bruton's reign over Fine Gael & they pictured a large green snail with the slogan "Time to eradicate the Celtic Snail" in big letters over it. Agruably the stupidest ad campaign I've ever come across. They were joking at the time that the ads made Fine Gael look so ridiculous that Fianna Fail was going to renew the leases on the billboards after they had expired so that they could have an extra month to laugh at them.

Anyway, enough sideshows about silly ad campaigns. What is the latest word with WX & SNN? Things seems to have gotten awful quite about this lately. As I recall, the incentive package offered to airlines to start routes between SNN & major European hub airports had a deadline attached to it (6 weeks I think but not sure of this). The ACA seem to have disappeared completely so maybe they took our advice & stopped trying to force EI into reversing the decision & are currently trying to convince WX to start CDG and/or AMS. Anyway, surely winter timetables are well & truely set at this stage & a new service (if any) will not now start until at least next summer. One would expect some sort of an announcement soon.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

B747forever

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:46 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 233):
are currently trying to convince WX to start CDG and/or AMS.

Really interesting to see if they can make WX start a service to CDG/AMS.
Work Hard, Fly Right

OA260

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 233):
As I recall, the incentive package offered to airlines to start routes between SNN & major European hub airports had a deadline attached to it (6 weeks I think but not sure of this). The ACA seem to have disappeared completely so maybe they took our advice & stopped trying to force EI into reversing the decision & are currently trying to convince WX to start CDG and/or AMS. Anyway, surely winter timetables are well & truely set at this stage & a new service (if any) will not now start until at least next summer. One would expect some sort of an announcement soon.

I was wondering the same thing. They have either given up on an SNN-AMS / CDG route or we can expect some big announcement soon ....Place your bets !!!

shamrock604

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Quoting ThrottleHold (Reply 230):
The pilots have the luxury of a prdeictable roster??.......I don't think so. Be careful hat large chip you seem to have on your shoulder doesn't topple you over.

No chip here at all. Im very happy where I am!

I'm sorry if it seemed like I had a chip on my shoulder, but it has to be said that the cabin crew in Aer Lingus dont have any where near the perks the flight deck do, and roster quality is one of them. Not that the pilots lives are perfect either mind, but they do have it better as a whole.

shamrock604

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:31 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 235):
was wondering the same thing. They have either given up on an SNN-AMS / CDG route or we can expect some big announcement soon ....Place your bets !!!

ah what the hell... i'll go for big annoucement soon! How much is it worth OA??  Wink

OA260

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:40 pm

Quoting Shamrock604 (Reply 237):
i'll go for big annoucement soon! How much is it worth OA?? Wink

You get an ACA lanyard LOL......

Apparantly at the moment there is to be NO Gold Circle lounge at BFS !! Its a shame and wont do alot to attract Business travellers unless they intend to offer vouchers to use the BFS Business lounge. Its not the nicest airport to be sitting around in .

shamrock604

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:43 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 238):
You get an ACA lanyard LOL......

Oh yeah.. I could be the new poster child of the ACA.. they would love me with my anti - stopover stance, and commercial mindedness...

OA260

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:46 pm

This weekend is apparantly one of the busiest before the Xmas rush !! I guess its all the Xmas market city breaks and the USA shoppers. I know tons of people heading away this weekend. My collegues off to NYC, my other collegues going to Krakow. My mates off to ACE for a week and another mates off to the Xmas markets.

EIBoston

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:10 pm

There is a link in the Indo online version about a US tour operator operating 12 flights a week from 6 US cities next year into Shannon. Unfortunatley the link will not open. Anybody know anything about it?

BestWestern

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:14 pm

Very quiet on the CityJet front.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

BestWestern

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:29 pm

WX announced a new route today... CityJet adds London City-CDG, but axes Madrid.

Air France’s Irish subsidiary CityJet has launched a new route between London City and Paris Charles de Gaulle, but is axing its London City-Madrid link after just seven months of operation.

Dublin-headquartered CityJet, which operates a number of routes from the downtown London airport, has added daily weekday flights between London City and Paris Charles de Gaulle.

The new Charles de Gaulle link is CityJet’s second Parisian service from London City, joining Paris Orly which it serves with six daily weekday frequencies.

CityJet has also added a sixth daily frequency between London City and Dublin, developing its network in response to strong demand.

But CityJet adds: “Conversely after seven months of operation, Air France and CityJet have decided to suspend the London City-Madrid service with effect from 24 November.

“Air France has put the necessary measures in place to re-route those passengers who have booked flights from London City to Madrid after 24 November and to ensure that they are accommodated appropriately.”

After the changes CityJet will serve a total of nine destinations from London City.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

tonymctigue

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:01 pm

Quoting EIBoston (Reply 241):
There is a link in the Indo online version about a US tour operator operating 12 flights a week from 6 US cities next year into Shannon. Unfortunatley the link will not open. Anybody know anything about it?

Would be a huge boost for SNN if this turns out to be true. Really interested to see this article. Any info is welcome.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 242):
Very quiet on the CityJet front.

Makes me think there are serious negotiations underway between the SAA & WX, especially given the deafening silence from the ACA. I'm going to stay positive in that WX have not said they are not going to start serving SNN.

neutral

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:27 pm

Quote 244

Would be a huge boost for SNN if this turns out to be true. Really interested to see this article. Any info is welcome

Its says a tour operator is planning to fly tourists from 6 regional airports in the USA to Shannon over the summer period approx 30,000 expected.12 flights per week the plane is supposed to be arranged at this stage.Again I'd wait until the official announcement .

Bramble

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 165):
The Y food is worse than canteen food. Dried chicken with pasta welded to the foil dish and some cheap tomatoe puree dumped on top

I'll have you know that was a staple of my dietary intake for about 2 years. What a slim figure I had in those days, no calorie intake at all!!

Indeed, and it is true that EI rosters are still produced on paper!!! ....Cabin crew should really have the most to gain from this, as it is about time that those of you on who are short haul weighted had some predictability to your roster patters. The pilots..........................have that luxury, but the cabin crew dont.

quote]

The new roster system will be trialed after Christmas. Was supposed to be March,not sure if that target will be met. The piots currently haev the better roster system as their roster negogiations are futher along than the cabin crew. They now get their roster a month in advance. Currently cabin crew get their 2 week roster 10 days before it commences.
The theory being that the new system will maximise crew work efficeiencies hence saving money for the company. (About 2 years ago it was not uncommon for me to get a extra day off after 2 late shifts and then go onto 2 early shifts. It would have been better to leave me on either lates or earlies the whole week,they wasted me as aresource for 20% of my work week)

[quote=BrianDromey,reply=227] The public face still makes refrence to low fares, but "low fares.way better" is gone from the mind of EI. Now it seems to be "avergae to high fares and we'll still take the ancillaries. way better" Certainly if new management positions are an indication.

Internal communications no longer have the 'Low Fares.Way Better', its all 'Enjoy your flight' now.

P.S. Did I mention that the cost of pre-booking exit rows and 1-5 will increase on certain flights? Also have checked and pax can only prebook these seats when booking. They cannot chose them using fastpass or online check-in. If a pax wants to move into those seats "cabin crew can point out that the prebooking option is availible and that pax should use it on their next flight with EI'

OA260

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting Bramble (Reply 246):
What a slim figure I had in those days, no calorie intake at all!!

Well we have had the Aitkens Diet and the Special K ones so lets all try the Aer Lingus Diet LOL.....

smokeyrosco

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:12 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 240):
This weekend is apparently one of the busiest before the Xmas rush !! I guess its all the Xmas market city breaks and the USA shoppers. I know tons of people heading away this weekend. My collegues off to NYC, my other colleagues going to Krakow. My mates off to ACE for a week and another mates off to the Xmas markets.

LOL, It's kinda like saying it's the week before the summer rush! I myself am heading over to the UK on FR, and I found out I didn't pay for baggage! which makes my 46 euro flight sound expensive  Smile Also rented a car on the FR website, 2.0 Automatic Mondeo LX (or similar) 76 Euro for 3 days... not bad!! Especially when the H3 cost me 700 euro for a week in the US. Kinda hoping to get use the D Pier, also it's my first time on an FR 738 believe it or not, not really looking forward to it but it's not like it's a long flight.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 243):
CityJet adds London City-CDG

Kinda surprised this didn't happen sooner... then again, couldn't that aircraft been used on SNN-CDG?

Quoting Bramble (Reply 246):
They cannot chose them using fastpass or online check-in.

This is a flaw in EI's fastpass machine IMO. If they have some seats in premier or up front on the short haul they should have an advert trying to sell them (maybe at a reduced rate) as I used to see sometimes coming back from the US on BA (and on EI). Good way to make up some money if you over sold Y but still have seats up front. If the EI machines can read credit cards which they can I don't see why they couldn't charge for these kinda upgrades (or indeed car rental or hotel accommodation) using the credit card slots
John Hancock

legoguy

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:39 pm

Whilst this thread is still open, I have today noticed that Aer Lingus has stopped flights from Dublin to Helsinki in early 2008. Any word why? Not long a go there was the option to book flights into March and April!
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos