Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MSYtristar

RE: NWA Memphis To Japan Via 787?

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:11 pm

Quoting Lexy (Reply 49):
MEM is a good domestic hub.

Exactly. Even though the facilities leave a lot to be desired, it does the job for a mid sized, RJ-dominated domestic hub. MEM is not what you would call a world class International hub (except if you are FedEx) and I see no reason why it would ever be. The metro area is small and poor compared to other cities which have a bunch of intercon flights.

Transpac787

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:14 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 42):
Fair enough, but it is not a 333 now, that's sort of what I was getting at.

Yea I understood that much, but in your own words you said it was a "seasonal upgrade", which was not true as it will be a permenant upgrade in a short time.

Also, MEM-AMS is frequently upgraded to A333 anyway given the seeminly high demand on the route.

MSYtristar

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:19 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 51):
but in your own words you said it was a "seasonal upgrade", which was not true as it will be a permenant upgrade in a short time.

In the past I have seen them fluctuate back and forth so I put 2+2 togther and assumed that seasonality had something to do with it. You learn something new everyday.

bobnwa

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:31 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 52):
In the past I have seen them fluctuate back and forth so I put 2+2 togther and assumed that seasonality had something to do with it. You learn something new everyday.

The MEM-AMS route has seen MD-11's, DC-10's, A332's and A333's since its inception. The changes in aircraft have resulted because of system scheduling needs , and not because of seasonality or growth or shrinking of the market. The MEM-AMS-MEM market is what it is, very little O&D,and the European side supplying the bulk of the connecting business. The flight is successful financially.

bhmbaglock

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:27 pm

Quoting B752OS (Reply 46):
I think you are overstating this a little bit. For starters, what size operationg does JVC have in AL? Their NA HQ are in New Jersey and their NA r&d is out in Socal, Sony NA is based in NYC. Honda Manufacturing NA is based up in Ohio, and the NA HQ is out in Socal. Toyota Manufacturing of NA is based on Kentucky. Simply having a plant in a state does not automatically mean that is is going to generate people coming from Asia.

JVC's NA magnetic tape manufacturing is here. I know people working in most of these plants and I can assure you that engineers, management, IT, and more travel back and forth regularly. This is even more true during the construction and startup phase of these plants or when additions are put in. For most of these plants, particularly the auto related ones, additions/changes are almost always happening.

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 53):
The MEM-AMS route has seen MD-11's, DC-10's, A332's and A333's since its inception. The changes in aircraft have resulted because of system scheduling needs , and not because of seasonality or growth or shrinking of the market. The MEM-AMS-MEM market is what it is, very little O&D,and the European side supplying the bulk of the connecting business. The flight is successful financially.

Given that there are many, many more choices for travel to Europe than to Asia from the South, this makes me think that a lot of people do find MEM to be a viable alternative.

Quoting Lexy (Reply 49):
Memphis has connections sure, but the majority are on 50-70 seat RJ's to places that the majority of AMERICANS have never heard of.

You're right about the RJs but dead wrong on most people not knowing where they go to. Sure there are a few obscure destinations but I'd bet my ten year old knows 95% or more of them.
Where are all of my respected members going?

Lexy

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:28 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 54):
Sure there are a few obscure destinations but I'd bet my ten year old knows 95% or more of them.

Ten year olds don't mean a hill of beans to the airlines though. And to outsiders from another country it's highly, HIGHLY, doubtful they know or care about Paducah.

Paducah is just an example here.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

SNCNtry32

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:34 pm

Quoting Blackearth (Reply 26):
NWA apparently is seriously considering it.

Really? I am surprised they wouldn't flip the bill on 9E...

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 50):
Exactly. Even though the facilities leave a lot to be desired, it does the job for a mid sized, RJ-dominated domestic hub.

MEM serves its purpose and without it NW would have little no presence in the south having two very northern hubs. I would like to see NW beff up MEM in the future.. But I am afraid that is just wishful thinking.
Long Live Memphis!

cf6ppe

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:41 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 53):

Add B767 (KL's) to the equipment used on the MEM-AMS route.

MSYtristar

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:56 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 54):
Given that there are many, many more choices for travel to Europe than to Asia from the South, this makes me think that a lot of people do find MEM to be a viable alternative.

That being said, it's just one flight per day. So we could break that down to "around 220 people", give or take, find MEM as a viable alternative to Europe. Not a huge number by any means. But, I'm sure the flight does make money for NW. It has been around for a while and as Bob pointed out it has been around the block in terms of aircraft used. In fact it started out as KL 767 so the capacity has increased on the whole over time. But AMS is a lot diff. than Asia, and there's just no demand for MEM-Asia service.

dutchjet

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:56 pm

NW is certainly studying the possibility of operating MEM-NRT nonstop upon the introduction of the 787:

1. NW has stated that they intend to connect more (US) cities to their NRT hub.....opening a connection between between MEM and NRT and re-lauching the JFK-NRT service with cost effective right sized 787s each seem to make logical sense and could be introduced upon the 787 entering service.

2. As pointed out by others, the Southeast US has seen lots of investment by Asian manufacturers, this activity would certainly support a MEM-NRT connection.

3. DL has found success with its ATL-NRT service; and the exact percentage of O&D passengers is not that important, what is important is that the DL flight connects the Southeastern US with Asia. NW would surely like to get a portion of this (growing) market.

4. While NW already offers one-connection service between many southeast US cities and NRT via their MSP and DTW hubs, there are some cities unique to MEM, there are some cases where a connection via MEM would be quicker and more efficient than flying via DTW or MSP, and....from a marketing point of view, passengers travelling between the Southeast and Asia could prefer the MEM connection as it "seems"" quicker and avoids potential weather problems that trouble airports like MSP and DTW during the winter period. There is a reason why pax travelling between the Southern US and Europe prefer to avoid airports like JFK, EWR and BOS in the winter, the same would apply to passengers travelling to/from Asia....they could specifically chose the MEM flight to avoid weather headaches.

5. No one ever thought that MEM-AMS would succeed......well, its been about 15 years and the MEM-AMS service still operates daily now with an A333. Sure, its a niche market, just as MEM-NRT would be a niche market......but MEM-NRT could be successful due to the fact that NW operates hubs at either end of the route.

6. Someone above compared MEM-NRT with DL's newly launched SLC-CDG service, its a good comparison....flights such as these between hub cities have a good chance of working if operated with a reasonably sized airliner, even if O&D traffic is modest.

TVNWZ

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:12 pm

I prefer to fly into MEM on all my NW flights. Few delays. Short walk from any gate to any gate. Short connection times and great Q. The place does not have to be an advertisement for Architectural Digest.

Lexy

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:25 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 60):
Short connection times and great Q. The place does not have to be an advertisement for Architectural Digest.

Nobody is asking for that. If you prefer it, consider yourself a part of that group then. But I would avoid it like the plague even if it had a flight to Japan.

azjubilee

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:07 pm

We get it Lexy - MEM is not as great as BNA. You're BNA's largest cheerleader, that's fantastic. Perhaps you should get a job for marketing BNA and its incredible advantages over MEM. Too bad that's not the point of this thread!

Bottom line = MEM is a NWA hub and HDQ for Fedex. The cold hard reality is that MEM is a perfect place to move people and time sensitive freight. It doesn't matter if its ugly or that BNA is prettier with better looking walls and floors. This thread, and the comments that were included in the newspaper article is in regards to NWA seeing the possibility of the 787 and MEM-NRT.

MEM and NRT are important hubs for NWA. THey obviously find it economically worthy to at least investigate the viability of this route. Nobody at NWA asked the know-it-alls here for their opinions. NWA doesn't care about Lexy in BNA and what he thinks about his airport. Again, this has nothing to do with BNA. THis has everything to do with an airline, who is exploring new routes and connecting two hubs is what airlines do. Putting the right equipment on routes that make sense is what airlines do. Making money is what every business strives to do. Getting people to where they want to go is what NWA does. NWA is driving this ship and if they find it possible, they'll do it. Everyone is missing the point here! THe 787 and the economic realities of NWA post Ch11 have redefined the airline. Anything is possible at this point!

AZJ

MAH4546

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:30 pm

I wonder what other cities Northwest is considering connecting with Narita via Tokyo. Boston? Las Vegas? Miami? San Diego? Does Northwest plan on using their 787s exclusively to Asia, rather than trans-Atlantic?

While people are far overplaying the "my small Southern town has a factory owned by an Asian conglomerate" card, MEM-NRT nonetheless could work if it only needs to fill up 220 or so seats.

[Edited 2007-11-23 12:31:47]
a.

azjubilee

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:51 pm

NWA has publicly said the 787s would be used for expansion. They've specifically mentioned routes in Asia, but I cannot imagine NWA would limit themselves to using this a/c just in the Pacific. The 787 will open many doors to the world for NWA. Routes that were not economical in the past, may become so now. Routes that were discounted as impossibly viable in the past might just have potential now.

AZJ

MSYtristar

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:02 pm

Quoting Azjubilee (Reply 62):
MEM and NRT are important hubs for NWA.

Still, MEM is a pretty small hub all things considered. And I'd venture to say, from a revenue standpoint, NRT is miles ahead of MEM.

I'll conclude this by saying I'll believe it when I see it, but if started, it would certainly rank up there as one of the strangest routes ever flown.

bobnwa

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 65):
Still, MEM is a pretty small hub all things considered. And I'd venture to say, from a revenue standpoint, NRT is miles ahead of MEM.

I'll conclude this by saying I'll believe it when I see it, but if started, it would certainly rank up there as one of the strangest routes ever flown.

The Asia side of the flight would supply the majority of the passengers as they do on all Trans-pac flights, on all airlines.

Would it rank with MEM-AMS as a strange route?

MSYtristar

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 66):
Would it rank with MEM-AMS as a strange route?

No, that one makes more sense, even though seeing any transatlantic flight from MEM is indeed a bit odd. But, more power to NW, they have made it work.

Cubsrule

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:32 pm

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 21):
However, under the current agreement between the US government and Vietnam, only one flag carrier from each country is allowed to operate a route to each respective country. Currently the US-served route is UA's HKG-SGN. Unless the US and Vietnamese government changes this, NW will not be able to gain entry to any Vietnam destination. The more likely 'new' route would be NRT-KUL, which NW used to serve some years ago.

I thought this too, but it's actually incorrect... While I don't think the text of the Bilateral is online anywhere, UA's application for HKG-SGN makes the following reference to it:

Quote:
The US and Vietnam entered into a bilateral Air Services Agreement in October 2003 under which two US carriers may commence scheduled passenger service between the US and Vietnam

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p78/281075.pdf
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

WesternA318

Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:14 pm

Quoting Centrair (Reply 43):
Interesting side note. The First Japan-authorized high school in U.S. was in Tennessee. It closed in March after only 20 years. These are schools operated under Japanese education laws for Japanese Expats.

Just out of curiosity, why did it close, and what was so different about it?

Quoting Lexy (Reply 47):
Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 25):
Tokyo, it's very rare for execs from Tokyo to visit the plants aside from Kentucky and the offices in NJ and SoCal. Also, I would not call Kentucky in the southeast either.

Careful Lexy, that wasnt me that said that.

Quoting SNCntry32 (Reply 56):
MEM serves its purpose and without it NW would have little no presence in the south having two very northern hubs. I would like to see NW beff up MEM in the future..

That would be nice, I'd personally LOVE to see SLC-MEM or SNA-MEM.

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 60):
I prefer to fly into MEM on all my NW flights. Few delays. Short walk from any gate to any gate. Short connection times and great Q. The place does not have to be an advertisement for Architectural Digest.

Isn't NW MEM gates the old Southern/Republic gates?

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 63):
I wonder what other cities Northwest is considering connecting with Narita via Tokyo. Boston? Las Vegas? Miami? San Diego? Does Northwest plan on using their 787s exclusively to Asia, rather than trans-Atlantic?

NRT-SAN sounds nice, and a 787 might make it work, heck, even SJC-NRT. On the TATL side, I'd like to see DTW or MSP-ATH, or DTW-FCO on either the 787's or A330.

fun2fly

Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:50 pm

I think MEM>NRT has a shot, but it's probably in the second group of expansion cities for NW. However, with all 18 788's coming on in a very short time (approx 2 years if I remember correctly), there will be a huge influx of a/c. JFK>NRT will take 2. Figure 2-4 a/c for direct DTW>Asia and a few DTW>TATL. So, that leaves approx. 8 a/c to place. A huge expansion problem. I hope NW can pull it off, they proved themselves inept of adding a few 752 TATL routes this summer.

bobnwa

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting FUN2FLY (Reply 70):
I hope NW can pull it off, they proved themselves inept of adding a few 752 TATL routes this summer.

But they proved to very adept at adding the following new aircraft to the US, ie" 747-400. A320, A319, A330, DC-10-40.

Mason

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:47 pm

Call me crazy, but I don't see NRT as a big target for 787 service, at least until the airport is able to finish expansion and open up more capacity. Same goes for other congested airports like LHR. Slots are simply too valuable to "waste" on an aircraft smaller than a 777. The 787 was intended to offer city pairs either too far apart for existing service, or with too small a market to warrant service with larger aircraft. I do see significant 787 activity in Japan at airports like FUK, NGO, even KIX. As we see more of these airports opening up new routs, we may see decreased demand for NRT service. Then again, it appears that CO starting service to every field in western Europe able to support a 757 hasn't eased traffic at LHR or LGW, so we'll see.

I laugh when I hear about possible routes for the 787 such as MSP/DTW-China. I guess the airlines still lack the confidence to put the 787 where it really belongs (smaller, point-to-point, non-hub routes) than than on high-traffic routes as these will be. SEA-HKG, SFO/SEA-FUK/NGO, NYC/ORD-SCL/EZE, SAN-Japan, . . .

WesternA318

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting Mason (Reply 72):
Call me crazy, but I don't see NRT as a big target for 787 service, at least until the airport is able to finish expansion and open up more capacity. Same goes for other congested airports like LHR. Slots are simply too valuable to "waste" on an aircraft smaller than a 777.

OK, youre crazy (you told me to call you so). I dont see NRT becoming a huge 787 player either, at least not from a lot of the airlines ordering it, but I do see NW expanding their hub there. The 787 could also be a huge player in NW's focus cities such as MKE, IND, ORD, BDL , SEA, LAX, SFO or BOS to AMS or NRT. Now SFO-NRT and SEA-NRT are already up and running, (I dont think SFO-NRT is served by NW, correct me if wrong) perhaps even an SLC-NRT or PHX-NRT?

MAH4546

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 73):
The 787 could also be a huge player in NW's focus cities such as MKE, IND, ORD, BDL , SEA, LAX, SFO or BOS to AMS or NRT.

The 787 does not open up any new long-haul opportunities whatsoever from MKE, IND, and BDL.
a.

WesternA318

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:58 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 74):
The 787 does not open up any new long-haul opportunities whatsoever from MKE, IND, and BDL.

I didnt think so either, I just thought I would toss that out there as I dont know any other focus cities NW has

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:00 am

Quoting FUN2FLY (Reply 70):
I hope NW can pull it off, they proved themselves inept of adding a few 752 TATL routes this summer.

That really doesn't have anything to do with NW's ability to successfully open new longhaul routes. Hopefully, it's obvious that domestic flight deck crews won't be flying 787s.

I think you can add ORD to that list, though ORD-MNL might have a shot... ORD-AMS and ORD-NRT are not suitable NW 787 routes.

MAH4546

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 75):

I didnt think so either, I just thought I would toss that out there as I dont know any other focus cities NW has

On that note, however, MKE and BDL aren't Northwest focus cities. They only have a focus city at IND.
a.

rwsea

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:20 am

Now SFO-NRT and SEA-NRT are already up and running,

SEA-NRT has operated for decades (it was NW's first transpacific flight, IIRC).

Yes, NW operates a daily SFO-NRT on the A332.

nwa757boy

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:30 am

(I dont think SFO-NRT is served by NW, correct me if wrong

Yes NW serves SFO-NRT, just worked the flight Wink on a A332. flights 27/28 and they preform rather well for NW.

Mason

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:32 am

OK, youre crazy (you told me to call you so). I dont see NRT becoming a huge 787 player either, at least not from a lot of the airlines ordering it, but I do see NW expanding their hub there.

Well played, but you missed my point. Even if there was a market for every US city with an airport to Japan, there simply isn't enough capacity at these hubs to support it (NRT, LHR). When Boeing announced the 787, everyone in every small town in America got weak legs and stars in their eyes, dreaming of service to Asia (NRT is default) or Europe (LON, AMS, FRA).

The good news is there is some happy middle ground to be had, like I mentioned before. Much of the traffic to NRT is bound for other cities in Japan, and the 787 will open up these markets (NGO, FUK, KIX, . . .). Many of these routes used to exist, but with high fuel prices, there wasn't an aircraft that was well suited for the demands. A perfect example of this is the DL pullout out of PDX. The MD-11 was too much aircraft for many of these routes, and DL retreated to the safety of its mega hub at ATL with 777s that can overfly PDX. Many routes previously flown to Asia should see service started again with 787 (SEA-KIX/HKG, SFO-KIX, LAX-NGO). In stead of building up more its NRT hub, NW may take advantage of its presence in Japan to open these routes again.

In terms of the original topic, I don't ever see NW starting MEM-NRT.

WesternA318

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:57 am

Speaking of DL, any chance theyll ever return to HKG?

Indy

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:01 am

A 2002 (updated 2004) study addressed the value of the 787 (termed 7E7 with the initial study) in routes like IND-FRA for LH. So yes it would open new routes. However I think the 787 would be a waste of technology on a route like that. It in my opinion would be a wast of technology for any route going from the eastern half of the U.S. to the western half of Europe. That jet should be used on super long haul routes like trans Pacific flights.

If you care to read the study I reference you can find it here.

http://www.leeham.net/filelib/050416-shadow.pdf

Page 7 of the study talks about the use of a jet the size of the 787 to service FRA.
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

Lexy

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:38 am

MEM and NRT are important hubs for NWA.

Correction, NRT is important for NW. MEM is debatable.

We get it Lexy - MEM is not as great as BNA.

Finally some civility has entered this thread. I'm more surprised it took you this long to find it out.

You're BNA's largest cheerleader, that's fantastic. Perhaps you should get a job for marketing BNA and its incredible advantages over MEM.

Perhaps. I'm sure the case could be made and the point made very easily about the advantages. But like you said, different topic.

NWA doesn't care about Lexy in BNA and what he thinks about his airport. Again, this has nothing to do with BNA.

Nobody said they cared. Nobody said this had to do with BNA. But, if you want your little airport to have this flight, you bet your bottom dollar the good folks at BNA will HAVE to chip in considerably to make it work from your little end. I don't see Japanese companies falling over themselves to get in the MEM business market.

Transpac787

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:49 am

(I dont think SFO-NRT is served by NW, correct me if wrong)

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 78):
Yes, NW operates a daily SFO-NRT on the A332.

Who wants to take bets on how long it takes Jacobin777 to show up and provide his requisite photographic evidence of this??

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 78):
(it was NW's first transpacific flight, IIRC).

I believe it was, originally with scheduled fuel stops in ANC, IINM.

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 81):
Speaking of DL, any chance they'll ever return to HKG?

With their new 772LR's on the way, they might. At ~8300mi, ATL-HKG would be an "appropriate" route for the LR.  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Mason (Reply 80):
(SEA-KIX/HKG, SFO-KIX, LAX-NGO)

If my memory serves me correctly, those all used to be done with 742's, correct??

WesternA318

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:52 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 84):
Who wants to take bets on how long it takes Jacobin777 to show up and provide his requisite photographic evidence of this??

LOL, no need, its my background, LMAO..

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 84):
With their new 772LR's on the way, they might. At ~8300mi, ATL-HKG would be an "appropriate" route for the LR.

Appropriate, LMAO, is the 772 also doing ATL-DXB?

SkyyMaster

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting Azjubilee (Reply 4):
How do you explain all the Japanese car makers building factories in the south? That sound slike important business tie to Asia to me! Only NWA nows if the route is feasable or not and since they are the ones that brought this up, don' t you think it has some sort of merit? Oh I forgot, everyone here is smarter than the suits.

There are over a dozen Japanese car manufacturing plants and support plants in the south. Other than ATL, there's no nonstop service to Japan. Last time I mentioned BNA should have a service, I was practically laughed out of the room. MEM doesn't have the O&D and as someone said, MSP and DTW can cover this already.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 18):
No joke. MEM has one of the largest freight, cargo origination/destination/transit facilities per volume centres is the US. It was in the top 5 in the US a few years ago and was in the top 20 in the world.

AFAIK, it is still number one in world cargo ops, although HKG is always very close behind.

blackearth

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 48):
It's also home to several very large trucking companies that are not related to Fedex as well as a major rail hub. It also has one of the largest inland ports in the US on the Mississippi River.

More than that, Memphis has something on the order of 5 trunk railroads, and is the 3rd largest rail hub in the US, after Chicago, St. Louis/and or Kansas City.

blackearth

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting Lexy (Reply 32):
I

Now with that said, I don't like Memphis, its airport, or the idea of making it an international gateway for this state. But that's my opinion and a thought better placed in its own thread.

I've read your stuff on many forums where you've stated the good times you've had in Memphis. What gives?

Why do you dislike the idea of Memphis being an international gateway for the state? I will hazard a guess that you really are sore that Nashville isn't being considered for the NRT flight.

To tell ya the truth, I've lived all over the US and presently live in Minnesota and most folks don't know the difference between Memphis and Nashville, they confuse the two, and no one transiting through the Memphis hub could care less about the perceived differences or your opinion that Nashville is better. Any decision by NWA will be based on dollars and cents. Period.

Indy

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting Blackearth (Reply 88):
I will hazard a guess that you really are sore that Nashville isn't being considered for the NRT flight.

I'm guessing MEM isn't being considered for that flight either. Just because NW flies somewhere doesn't mean it is considered for MEM. It just isn't on the same level as DTW or MSP. MEM is a regional hub with one long haul route (loss leader?) and that is all it likely will ever be. There is just no local market to sustain anything else.

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 89):
MEM is a regional hub with one long haul route (loss leader?) and that is all it likely will ever be.

If MEM-AMS were a loss leader, why would it have stuck around so long?

JohnJ

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting Blackearth (Reply 88):
To tell ya the truth, I've lived all over the US and presently live in Minnesota and most folks don't know the difference between Memphis and Nashville

I grew up in Memphis, but left in 1989. What you say is true - in the eyes of most people outside the South, Memphis and Nashville are the same city. When I tell people I'm from Memphis, they always ask me if I like country music. Then, if I see them a few days later they'll ask me when I'm planning on getting back to Nashville.

Memphis and Nashville have a huge rivalry. Memphis is the largest city in Tennessee, which I think sticks in the craw of the folks from Nashville. Used to be Tennessee had a car license plate number structure that went along the lines of "1-HM108". The first number before the dash represented the size of the county the car was registered in. Memphis' county, Shelby, scored the "1" spot and Nashville's county, Davidson, came in #2. That structure was changed in the late 1980s, I assume at the behest of politicians living outside Shelby county.

My favorite Memphis-Nashville rivalry story concerns the first season after the Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee. The plan was for them to play their first few seasons in Memphis until Nashville could get their stadium ready. Memphis had angled for an NFL team for many years, and it didn't sit well with the locals that Nashville scored a team, and Memphis was less than supportive of the team. The whole thing came to a head when the Oilers played the Steelers, and Memphians packed the stadium - and rooted for Pittsburgh. In very short order the announcement came that the team was leaving Memphis a season early and playing in Vanderbilt Stadium until the official stadium was complete.

All this said, from what I've seen Nashville is a nice town. Memphis has some serious issues - but it also has a great deal of character and history. It also has, for a city of its size, an incredibly interesting airport from a planespotters's point of view. From a passenger's point of view, the facility could be nicer, but it's not as bad as is being painted by some of the posters on this thread.

Indy

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 90):
If MEM-AMS were a loss leader, why would it have stuck around so long?

A route like that gives you bargaining power.

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 92):

A route like that gives you bargaining power.

Bargaining power with whom?

JohnJ

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 89):
I'm guessing MEM isn't being considered for that flight either.

From the Commercial Appeal article:

Northwest chief executive Doug Steenland mentioned the possibility last week in Japan, saying the airline was considering Memphis as the base for one of the Boeing 787s it will receive in 2009.

Perhaps nonsense being spouted by an airline CEO, but this at least gives the idea of MEM-NRT more credibility than many of the rumors passed off on this site.

Indy

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 93):
Bargaining power with whom?

The city and airport authority.

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 94):
Perhaps nonsense being spouted by an airline CEO, but this at least gives the idea of MEM-NRT more credibility than many of the rumors passed off on this site.

So true.

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 95):
The city and airport authority.

So you really think that NW would keep a money-losing route around for 15 years to placate the airport authority... Why?

Philly65

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:34 am

Quoting SM92 (Thread starter):

This route is definitely on the "short list" for new 787 routes. I believe DTW-PVG & DTW-HKG were the top two, but NWA will play it safe until the have assurances on the 787s performance. I do recall MEM-NRT was in the black, but that was 3 - 4 years ago and a lot has changed since then.

Indy

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 96):
So you really think that NW would keep a money-losing route around for 15 years to placate the airport authority... Why?

Ask yourself this. If the flight is pretty much all feed which I think we understand it is why wouldn't NW just connect those passengers in DTW? Whether or not MEM-AMS makes money on its own how would losing that route effect the overall perceived value of the MEM hub? What is that one flight worth to the city? I'm betting they'd do pretty much anything to keep it. And I promise you NW knows it. Having a flight like that as a bargaining chip means the airport authority will in most cases act in your behalf. It also means they will likely negotiate deals in good faith. They aren't going to risk losing that flight. They know without NW they have zero chance at getting a similar flight to replace it.

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 98):
Ask yourself this. If the flight is pretty much all feed which I think we understand it is why wouldn't NW just connect those passengers in DTW?

It's not all feed... KL heavily advertises the service in Europe and manages to convince Europeans to visit Memphis. How they do that. I'm not sure.

The bottom line is this: if it didn't make money, they wouldn't run it. Any carrier which overserves your city to the degree that NW overserves Memphis (we're strictly talking about local traffic here) is going to get some deference from the airport, AMS flight or not.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos