shankly
Topic Author

BAA Strike Threat Over Christmas/NY

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:58 pm

In yet another example of Neanderthal UK union action, BAA workers are threatening strike action over the Christmas & New Year travel periods because they lack the intelligence to face up to the realities of the modern world where “final salary pensions” are no longer sustainable.

The disruption could close Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted in particular as the fire-fighters (who all have two or three jobs anyway) are fully subscribed union members.

If they don’t like their jobs with BAA, they should quite simply bugger off and work somewhere else instead of threatening the public time and time again. Maybe they should try working for themselves like millions of us out here and find out how difficult the world really is. Muppets.
L1011 - P F M

davescj

RE: BAA Strike Threat Over Christmas/NY

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:05 pm

Lovely......and I"m sheduled to fly BA through LHR on 20 Dec and 3 Jan........FCO LHR PHX and back. Just lovely. I hope they'll be nice, I'll be lucky, and get home for Christmas!

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

mia

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:13 pm

Quoting Shankly (Thread starter):
realities of the modern world where “final salary pensions” are no longer sustainable.

I am sorry but; these are no longer sustainable? So then why are ueber high salaries for executives and their retirement packages sustainable? At least British workers have their pants on right, unlike workers here in the U.S.
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

davescj

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:22 pm

Quoting MIA (Reply 2):
these are no longer sustainable

Most US companies no longer off defined pension plans. Not even the US Government in all cases.

Quoting MIA (Reply 2):
So then why are ueber high salaries for executives and their retirement packages sustainable

This, I agree, is a huge disparity that unions rightly are taking on. But, in the case of execs, how much is life time pay and how much is golden parachute (which I concede is TOO HIGH).

What really hurts: What will BA do for compensation? According to regs, they aren't required to give compensation. Per BA website

What are 'extraordinary circumstances outside British Airways' control'?
The EU Regulation gives some examples, including bad weather, security risks, unexpected aircraft technical problems, strikes and air traffic control problems.

I hope they'd at least be able to rebook in same travel class.

Dave

[Edited 2007-11-23 09:28:07]

toltommy

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:29 pm

So just what exactly are they threatening to strike over. Instead of spouting off, the thread creator could have presented some facts to back up the argument. But didn't, and opened up the thread to allow everyone to post opinion without lookig for facts.

Since the french train workers just got their heads handed to them, the BAA workers may want to think twice about disrupting Christmas, especially if they are looking to protect benefits the average worker doesn't have.....
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

davescj

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:36 pm

For what is it is worth, here is the link to the BBC article, saying vote is coming up and dates strike may begin.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7109535.stm

Dave

VonRichtofen

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:56 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 3):
What really hurts: What will BA do for compensation? According to regs, they aren't required to give compensation. Per BA website

It's BAA workers threatening strike, not BA staff.

AIR MALTA

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:11 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 6):
It's BAA workers threatening strike, not BA staff.

BAA airports are a disaster and the staff wants to go on strike??!!!
I am sitting at Vienna because my VIE-LHR flights on BA is 1h30 late. I will miss my KWI connection at LHR. It is getting annoying now transtiting through LHR or the UK. I guess if this happens well BA, VS and BD can start to look for other hubs cause this is not sustainable anymore.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

Feroze

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:50 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 1):
Lovely......and I"m sheduled to fly BA through LHR on 20 Dec and 3 Jan

Strike action will not commence before 27th December at the earliest. Balloting of union members has not yet begun, and if the majority vote for action, 7 days notice has to be given before any strike takes place.

davescj

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting Feroze (Reply 8):
days notice has to be given before any strike takes place.

No 90 day cool off period like in the US? Also, how can fire fighters strike? Aren't they considered government workers (who can't always strike in the US, esp if safety envolved).

Thanks!

Dave

StarGoldLHR

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:05 pm

Go on strike... there's never anyone doing any work anyway, so what difference does it make.

At BAA it'd be better if they fired all the staff and let the passengers take care of themselves.

Funny.. ever since LHR was taken over by a spanish construction company the airpo
rt has quite literally turned into a building site... with the staff having a builders mentality when it comes to customers.

At Stansted they have introduced a siesta which lasts several hours a day, and Gatwick looks like a bull pen.

I really despise using Heathrow airport, you simply cannot navigate Terminal 3 in less than 3 hours unless it's 5am or 11pm.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

AirNZ

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:32 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 7):
BAA airports are a disaster and the staff wants to go on strike??!!!
I am sitting at Vienna because my VIE-LHR flights on BA is 1h30 late. I will miss my KWI connection at LHR. It is getting annoying now transtiting through LHR or the UK. I guess if this happens well BA, VS and BD can start to look for other hubs cause this is not sustainable anymore.

What has proposed BAA strike action in December got to do with your BA flight being later in VIE tonight???
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:53 pm

because they lack the intelligence to face up to the realities of the modern world

It's plainly obvious that you lack the intelligence to take the time to explore the full story.  Yeah sure

If they don’t like their jobs with BAA, they should quite simply bugger off and work somewhere else

It's not just a simple case of "not liking" the job

Maybe they should try working for themselves like millions of us out here and find out how difficult the world really is.

Many of us have worked for ourselves in the past.

Muppets

Yeah sure

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 10):
with the staff having a builders mentality when it comes to customers.

Yeah sure

you simply cannot navigate Terminal 3 in less than 3 hours unless it's 5am or 11pm.

You obviously aren't trying hard enough

Feroze

Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 9):
Also, how can fire fighters strike?

Airport firefighters are not members of the Fire Brigades' Union, but of Unite which is the union that is balloting other BAA staff, and I believe they work directly for BAA and not "The Fire Service".

We have had a series of firefighters' strikes here in th UK over the last few years. The Army is put on call and use ageing "Green Goddess" fire trucks while the firefighters man their pickets. Once, at one station, they even managed to set fire to their own property with a brazier whilst on picket. I don't think they were allowed to put it out because that would have meant they were working!

[Edited 2007-11-23 14:49:50]

LHRBlueSkies

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:50 am

“final salary pensions” are no longer sustainable.

BAA want to stop any new recruits joining the final salary pension scheme, even though they are continuing to make massive profits, and switch new starters to a scheme that offers less benefits. Unions don't think it's fair to have a 2-tier scheme. That's all.

find out how difficult the world really is.

Yup, sure, 'cos starting work at 0500, finishing at 2130 and doing nights, working with the public and dealing with all manner of security issues is easy...jeez!

Quoting MIA (Reply 2):
At least British workers have their pants on right, unlike workers here in the U.S.

Thank you! I'm not saying that strike action is the right way forward, but many companies are looking to put shareholders dividends ahead of employee rights and benefits.

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 4):
if they are looking to protect benefits the average worker doesn't have.....

A decent pension shouldn't just be for the high-flying exec, who already earns a small (not so small!) fortune.

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 7):

A) How is this in any way the fault of BAA? It's BA who can't their planes in/out on time.
B) You obviously have no understanding of how important LHR is to these, and many other carriers, and so looking for a new hub is unrealistic.

Go on strike... there's never anyone doing any work anyway,

What an uneducated posting. Shame, because you've often been well informed and educated.
flying is the safest form of transport - until humans get involved!

icarus75

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:08 am

because they lack the intelligence to face up to the realities of the modern world where “final salary pensions” are no longer sustainable.

In another topic about french ATC strike, I remember some people saying that french is a "bad" country, full of stupid people : I can see that it's not only in France!
Flying is amazing!

egmcman

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:00 pm

I am due to fly from STN 24 December and fly back 2 January I hope the strike is averted.

LHRBlueSkies

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:01 pm

Quoting Icarus75 (Reply 15):
I can see that it's not only in France!

Whenever someone is inconvenienced, it's easy to blame the country! Unions don't always help themselves, not always taking action that is truly in the workers interest, but then if everyone played fair we wouldn't need unions...

It's a vicious circle...

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 14):
BAA want to stop any new recruits joining the final salary pension scheme, even though they are continuing to make massive profits, and switch new starters to a scheme that offers less benefits. Unions don't think it's fair to have a 2-tier scheme. That's all.

There is also the possibility that those of us that currently enjoy the benefit of the final salary scheme, may be forced by the company to have OUR fund transferred to the new, reduced benefits scheme.
I am not pro-strike action, but the company need to know how poorly their employees are being treated in respect to the pension scheme.

LHRBlueSkies

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:36 pm

Quoting 747438 (Reply 18):
There is also the possibility that those of us that currently enjoy the benefit of the final salary scheme, may be forced by the company to have OUR fund transferred to the new, reduced benefits scheme.
I am not pro-strike action, but the company need to know how poorly their employees are being treated in respect to the pension scheme.

I agree TOTALLY! The company/s need to fully appreciate what their frontline staff have to deal with on a daily basis, and a decent pension scheme is a way of rewarding them.

jfidler

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:44 pm

The article posted doesn't go into enough detaill about the proposed new pension scheme comparing it to the old one. How would they be different?

Also, what is the industry norm for pension schemes? In other words, if these BAA workers were to go and get a job somewhere else, what pension scheme could they expect?

LHRBlueSkies

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting Jfidler (Reply 20):
The article posted doesn't go into enough detaill about the proposed new pension scheme comparing it to the old one. How would they be different?

Also, what is the industry norm for pension schemes? In other words, if these BAA workers were to go and get a job somewhere else, what pension scheme could they expect?

Final salary - employee pays 5% of monthly wages, company add another 17.5% - it's a very good scheme by any standards. There simply aren't such generous schemes available for the average employee.

The alternative scheme is far less generous, something like 7% by employee, and 9% by company, although I could be wrong.

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:58 pm

Quoting Jfidler (Reply 20):

Before I joined BAA, I worked in the pensions industry for many years. There is a vast difference between a "final salary" scheme and the new "money purchase" scheme.

Final salary schemes are now very few and far between for new starters. Companies do indeed struggle to fund the retirement annuities and I fully appreciate the reasoning behind BAA's decision to offer new starters a new scheme.
However, when I was offered the job with them, part of the benefit package was a Final Salary pension scheme. It was one of the reasons I accepted the job offer.

If any BAA employee were to leave and join a new company, then they would join (if they wished ) that particular companiy's pension scheme. As a new employee of that company, the scheme would more than likely be a money purchase sceme.

The main concern in this instance is that the company will remove the final salary scheme for present employees

AIR MALTA

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:26 pm

A) How is this in any way the fault of BAA? It's BA who can't their planes in/out on time.
B) You obviously have no understanding of how important LHR is to these, and many other carriers, and so looking for a new hub is unrealistic.

A) Well most of the time, it is not BA's faut if they are late. Have been on BA plane arrived early but disembarked 45 lete because there were no stands available at T4. So yestrday's proble could have been cause by LHR chaos. I ended up flying Qatar via Doha and it was the worst longhaul flight I ever had.

B) It was only sarcastic... I know how LHR is important for all of them. Unfortunately a lot of people are now avoinding LHR and therefore avoiding our national airlines. I really like BA's product and service. It is hard to convince my boss to let my fly BA from Vienna especially to the Middle East. We usually use LH. This time I got lukcy and I succeeded in booking BA only to be let down at the last minute.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

EDICHC

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:26 am

Thank you! I'm not saying that strike action is the right way forward, but many companies are looking to put shareholders dividends ahead of employee rights and benefits.

In UK company law, companies have a legal obligation to place the interests of their shareholders first.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

LHRBlueSkies

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:12 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 23):
Have been on BA plane arrived early but disembarked 45 lete because there were no stands available at T4.

But this is also down to BA, as they control the allocation of gates in both T1 & T4 - nothing to do with BAA!

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 24):
companies have a legal obligation to place the interests of their shareholders first.

Yes, but they also have a moral obligation to their employees...

EDICHC

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 25):
Quoting EDICHC (Reply 24):
companies have a legal obligation to place the interests of their shareholders first.

Yes, but they also have a moral obligation to their employees...

Perhaps, but moral obligatons do not come before the law, I'm not saying it is right but that is the way it is.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

Legallykev

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:19 pm

This is why I hate flying through LHR or CDG!

LHRBlueSkies

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:22 pm

Quoting Legallykev (Reply 27):
This is why I hate flying through LHR or CDG!

Why, because employees have the right to try and protect their income / pensions / livelihood?
Well, better that than no workers rights and being forced to work in abysmal conditions and for peanuts!

avek00

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:52 pm

My gut feeling is that the union will either put off the strike until after January 1st, or else will conduct the strike with a de facto minimum service guarantee (by porviding enough staffing for carriers to operate their longhaul services, and no more).

A full-on strike that shuts down UK airports over the holidays would likely spur even a Labour parliament to continue the work of Margaret Thatcher unabated.
Live life to the fullest.

shankly
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting 747438 (Reply 12):
It's plainly obvious that you lack the intelligence to take the time to explore the full story

Yup, sure, 'cos starting work at 0500, finishing at 2130 and doing nights, working with the public and dealing with all manner of security issues is easy...jeez!

I caught me a striker!!

By chance did you unload boats in Liverpool in the 60's or make cars in Birmingham in the 70's or dig coal in the 80's in Yorkshire? Probably why your working at an airport now because those industries are dead thanks to the muppet unions

Strike action against the public is entirely unjustifiable. It's a cowards solution. Don't moan on here about your working hours or the freezing UK weather (apart of course from April, May, June, July, August, September) or expect us to weep for your cold-war era FSP. If you've got an issue, have the balls to sit down with your managers and figure it out; even if it means the Union having to accept that FSP's are completely unsustainable in an era of ageing populations
L1011 - P F M

flipdewaf

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:03 pm

Any body have any updates on this, I'm supposed to fly out of heathrow on the 27th to boston.

Fred

Vio

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:21 pm

Strike action will not commence before 27th December at the earliest. Balloting of union members has not yet begun, and if the majority vote for action, 7 days notice has to be given before any strike takes place.

Okay, what does this mean exactly?

They will vote on the 27th? or that's when the strike will begin?

If they need the 7 day notice, and vote on the 27th, then they'd only start the strike after the New Year, right?

I'm flying through LHR on the 22nd and then back on the 1st of January (from ARN). I hope it's not going to affect us too bad.

Vio,
Calgary, Canada
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

Feroze

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:27 pm

Quoting Vio (Reply 32):

They will vote on the 27th? or that's when the strike will begin?

If they need the 7 day notice, and vote on the 27th, then they'd only start the strike after the New Year, right?

I'm flying through LHR on the 22nd and then back on the 1st of January (from ARN). I hope it's not going to affect us too bad.

Vio,
Calgary, Canada

Sorry that I was not clearer. Announcement of the ballot result will be on 20th December. Therefore the first day of strike action could well be 27th December, given the seven day notice period.

YULWinterSkies

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:32 pm

Should somebody create an insurance to travelers against strikes, he would build a fortune!!! Thanks to whom? The strikes.... threats!

Doubtful that strike-breakers will let this one happen...
When I doubt... go running!

LHRBlueSkies

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:39 pm

Quoting Vio (Reply 32):

It means that no ballot has taken place yet, and even if action is approved, it won't go ahead before the 27th due to laws on negotiations, filing the paperwork, etc, so your trip should be safe, and enjoy it!

Quoting Shankly (Reply 30):
I caught me a striker!!

By chance did you unload boats in Liverpool in the 60's or make cars in Birmingham in the 70's or dig coal in the 80's in Yorkshire? Probably why your working at an airport now because those industries are dead thanks to the muppet unions

Strike action against the public is entirely unjustifiable. It's a cowards solution. Don't moan on here about your working hours or the freezing UK weather (apart of course from April, May, June, July, August, September) or expect us to weep for your cold-war era FSP. If you've got an issue, have the balls to sit down with your managers and figure it out; even if it means the Union having to accept that FSP's are completely unsustainable in an era of ageing populations

1) i'm not striker, but believe in having the opportunity to take whatever legal action necessary to protect my income, and that includes my FSP pension, which are in my terms & conditions of employment, hence it is justifiable.

2) just because you haven't got a pension as good as ours, don't criticise us for trying to keep one of the few reasons (if not the only reason) we work in the environment in which we do.

3) meetings have been held, but no progress, hence the potential threat of strike action - it's a last resort.

4) FSP's are not 'completely unsustainable' - company's just have to work out different ways of supporting them.

5) when you are able to post in a mature and educated way, then feel free to continue, until then...

Vio

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:00 pm

Quoting LHRBlueSkies (Reply 35):
It means that no ballot has taken place yet, and even if action is approved, it won't go ahead before the 27th due to laws on negotiations, filing the paperwork, etc, so your trip should be safe, and enjoy it!

Oh, I hope you're right... and thank you!  Smile

Vio
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

LHRBlueSkies

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:12 pm

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 34):
Should somebody create an insurance to travelers against strikes, he would build a fortune!!! Thanks to whom? The strikes.... threats!

Doubtful that strike-breakers will let this one happen...

If only - maybe Sir Richard Branson could do Virgin Insurance, for wedding night failures!!!!  wink 

I doubt the strike will happen, because of many reasons - no-one wants to in reality...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos