Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlagshipAZ
Topic Author

Questions On Alaska's 739 Fleet

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi Folks...
Hope you'll had a terrific Thanksgiving weekend.
This morning I read my local newspaper, the Anchorage Daily News money section, when I noticed an article on AS's 739 fleet being fitted with winglets...1 aircraft being done this year, and 9 more to be completed in 2008. But doesn't AS have 12 739s in their fleet? If so, why just 10 ships being wingletted, and not all 12? I'm leaving the possibility open that the newpaper's article is incorrect on the numbers.
Also, is it possible to upgrade a basic 739 into a 739ER? Does Boeing offer a retrofit kit for such a conversion?
And lastly, any chance at all AS could order some 739ERs in the future?
All replies appreciated. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

seabosdca

RE: Questions On Alaska's 739 Fleet

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting FlagshipAZ (Thread starter):
If so, why just 10 ships being wingletted,

The first two ships, 302 and 305, have different wings which can't be reinforced to take the extra stress generated by the winglets.

Also, is it possible to upgrade a basic 739 into a 739ER?

No. Fundamental parts of the structure are different. Most importantly, the 739ER has a flat rear pressure bulkhead that adds room for one more row of Y. The 739ER has an extra exit door, allowing for higher maximum seating capacity. (The 739A is limited by the exit configuration to 189 pax, well below what could fit into the floor space in a tight single-class configuration.) Also, the 739ER comes standard with Boeing's short-field performance kit.

any chance at all AS could order some 739ERs in the future?

They've said they're standardizing on the 738 for near-term aircraft purchases, so probably not. That said, stranger things have happened, and if they continue to grow their transcon business they might need some 739ERs, particularly for PNW-Florida routes where high capacity is financially important and the 739A has already proven too range challenged.

I think it's more likely they'll wait for the 737RS to add higher-capacity aircraft, though.

dutchjet

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:05 pm

Also, is it possible to upgrade a basic 739 into a 739ER? Does Boeing offer a retrofit kit for such a conversion?

No such upgrade/conversion is available.

And lastly, any chance at all AS could order some 739ERs in the future?

Its a possibility, but AS seems to be quite happy with the 738 at the moment.....it seems to be the right combination of seats, capacity and range for many routes thereby allowing lots of versatility. The 739ERs could be interesting airplanes for AS's newly launched services to the Hawaiian islands; the extra seats offered by the 739ER would be useful on those types of routes where frequency is limited.

This morning I read my local newspaper, the Anchorage Daily News money section, when I noticed an article on AS's 739 fleet being fitted with winglets...1 aircraft being done this year, and 9 more to be completed in 2008

CO's 739A fleet will also be getting winglets in the coming year.

If so, why just 10 ships being wingletted, and not all 12?

An Alaska expert can probably provide more details....but I think that remember reading that two of Alaska's early build 739As have a slightly different wing structure (I am no engineer) which cannot support the winglet installation...thus only 10 of the 12 739As will get the winglets.

as739x

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:08 pm

Not all the a/c are owned. Alaska Airlines can not put winglets on leased a/c if the leasing company doesn't want them. This was the same issue we had with 3 73G, and those planes were coming to the end of their lease and were returned. Another issue is even if the leasing company allowed AS, would AS see a profit before the lease ran out? I am not at work an can't tell you the counts,but this would be the reason. Currently N318AS is the only -900W

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

FlagshipAZ
Topic Author

Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:11 pm

Thanks guys...your knowledge on the topic is much appreciated.  Smile Makes perfect sense to me now.
Best regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos