Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flynavy
Topic Author

M-Touristik/LTU Axe Plans For MLB Flights

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:42 am

This was briefly mentioned in a related thread pertaining to Central/North Florida aviation however I think it deserves its own thread. In my opinion, this entire endeavor was doomed from the beginning and ultimately went T.U. with the likes of Monarch's planned Norfolk, VA (ORF) flights from Kent County, England (which were axed before they even started as well).

I mean - really - is there ANY demand for Berlin-MLB flights at all? Apparently, not enough...

The Melbourne airport authority spent $650,000 on equipment (loaders, baggage carts, ground service equipment) to service LTU's A330 flights and $250,000 to rennovate the international terminal at MLB - now all in vain. A complete waste of money. The airport now has to find buyers for all of the useless equipment.

The MLB airport paid the tour operator, M-Touristik, $200,000 in cash incentives already as well.

Quote:
M-Touristik AG, a tour operator that never before had arranged charter flights to the United States, blamed the charters' failure on "problems caused by the issues of U.S. Customs."

Now the tour operator wants an additional $100,000 on top of the $200,000 they already received.

Quote:
"There is no longer a chance to make the project successful this season," Melbourne International Executive Director Richard Ennis said. "We are very sad about the actual situation, but we have not seen any other possibility than to stop the project for this season."

Was it ever possible in the first place?

Full article on FloridaToday: http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...=/20071122/BUSINESS/711220344/1003

[Edited 2007-11-24 23:43:04]
Change is: one airline, six continents!

Delta777Jet

RE: M-Touristik/LTU Axe Plans For MLB Flights

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:40 am

I think there could be a demand if it would be significantly cheaper to fly to MLB instead of MIA, MCO whatever, but it must be marketed from one of the major tour operators.

Apparently this tour operator is a start up company without any market experience at all. Before this try they wanted to promote the area of "Mecklenburg Vorpommern" in eastern Germany and wanted Hotels to pay for their listing in their brochures. Probaly they did not found enough hotels willing to pay and now they screwed MLB airport and wanted to start with a long haul operation.

Behind M-Touristik are two former Parchim airport directors acting for Planestation Group which went into bancruptcy. Also at this little unknown regional airport they tried to establish charter operations to Palma de Mallorca and other most famous German holiday destinations. According to my information almost all flights went empty and after the region became again the owner and operator of the airport, they started another attempt to promote it as a holiday airport but this time with tax money. Of course also this time without any success and the region needed to give a lot of money to fly empty planes to Mallorca and Bulgaria. Probaly the management lost their job finally and they started this M- screw up.

In other forums I was reading that people who booked and paid to fly to MLB even waiting their refund of monies paid, so this may be explains why they want another 100,000 from MLB airport.

Poor guys of MLB airport, they were probaly thinking that their ex collegues of Planestation have a serious offer, but this was to be expected.
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

MAH4546

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:58 am

Too bad, but no surprise. Word is, though, that Air Berlin/LTU will begin a 1-2x weekly Miami-Berlin scheduled flights in 2008.
a.

Thorben

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting Flynavy (Thread starter):
I mean - really - is there ANY demand for Berlin-MLB flights at all?

Not yet, they planned to offer a new alternative for the tourism demand here. But German tourists do not travel much to Florida -and the whole US- anymore, despite the strong Euro and the really weak dollar. From my point of view, that has to do with the very disliked US entry procedures and a general anti-US sentiment, that the US government (and public, btw.) has created with the Iraq affair. Flights to NY from Berlin are successful, because they attract business travellers or family visitors, who do not really have the possibility of avoiding the US, but tourists now prefer other places.

Quote:
This summer, M-Touristik's plans were delayed because of a lack of agents from U.S. Customs and Border Protection to process passengers at Melbourne International. M-Touristik blamed Melbourne officials for not making the proper arrangements.

So maybe they are thinking about another try in the summer of 2009. But I don't think it will work.

Quote:
Airport officials and local tourism representatives wanted the charter flights because of the millions of dollars the German tourists were expected to spend at area hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions.

Don't forget that before you tell me to stay home when I don't like your entry procedures.
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

MAH4546

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting Thorben (Reply 3):
But German tourists do not travel much to Florida -and the whole US- anymore, despite the strong Euro and the really weak dollar

Yes they do. Germans love Florida, especially Fort Myers and Miami. Tourism between Germany and Florida took a huge dive in the mid-1990s, but has since recovered and is nearing record levels.

Have you even bothered to look at how German airlines have boosted service to Florida this year? Lufthansa is adding MIA-DUS service; LTU will fly daily to Miami starting in May; Lufthansa is now flying to Orlando six times a week.

[Edited 2007-11-25 03:33:05]
a.

flynavy
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:28 am

Don't forget that before you tell me to stay home when I don't like your entry procedures.

Care to expand on that?

I agree with you in that the United States entry procedures are anything BUT friendly at this point. I traveled to Tokyo and Brussels recently. Upon arrival in the United States I was greeted by unfriendly Homeland Security officials - a stark contrast to the treatment I received at NRT and BRU when the immigration officials met me with a smile and actually welcomed me into their country.

Surely though it isn't THAT bad. Virgin, Aer Lingus, Lufthansa, BA and the charter companies aren't having any trouble filling up widebodies to MCO/SFB.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

Thorben

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:42 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 4):
Have you even bothered to look at how German airlines have boosted service to Florida this year? Lufthansa is adding MIA-DUS service; LTU will fly daily to Miami starting in May; Lufthansa is now flying to Orlando six times a week.

We'll see how successful they'll be.

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 5):
Surely though it isn't THAT bad. Virgin, Aer Lingus, Lufthansa, BA and the charter companies aren't having any trouble filling up widebodies to MCO/SFB.

Maybe to MCO, but European visitor figures to the US have gone down in total.

MAH4546

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:45 am

Quoting Thorben (Reply 6):

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 4):

We'll see how successful they'll be.

Successful or not, that we will see. These flights will have zero problem filling up, yield is the only question mark.

The fact remains that a primary driving force behind these new flights has been the recent boost in tourism between Germany and Florida, which is nearing records.
a.

dutchjet

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:15 pm

Not yet, they planned to offer a new alternative for the tourism demand here. But German tourists do not travel much to Florida -and the whole US- anymore, despite the strong Euro and the really weak dollar. From my point of view, that has to do with the very disliked US entry procedures and a general anti-US sentiment, that the US government (and public, btw.) has created with the Iraq affair. Flights to NY from Berlin are successful, because they attract business travellers or family visitors, who do not really have the possibility of avoiding the US, but tourists now prefer other places

Thanks for the unnecessary political commentary......but do you have any facts or stats to back up your statement?

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
The fact remains that a primary driving force behind these new flights has been the recent boost in tourism between Germany and Florida, which is nearing records.

Absolutely.

Quoting Thorben (Reply 6):
Maybe to MCO, but European visitor figures to the US have gone down in total.

Dates would be helpful.

Thorben

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:18 pm

Successful or not, that we will see. These flights will have zero problem filling up, yield is the only question mark.

I have doubts whether they'll fill up.

Recent boost? Where can I see some statistics?

Delta777Jet

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:46 pm

Thorben: I can assure you, that no airline adding extra capacity because the actual demand decrease. It is as in any other business the market which decide if an airline put extra capacity or not. In the case of LTU, I assume that the market give potential for extra flights and the same does LH as far as I know. Even with tough competition we saw on other examples tha this created even extra passengers. So the market is very good at the moment. The reason why this M-Touristik failed is that this tour operator is not known in Germany to nobody and that the premium travel agencies also not believe in the flights. If a strong tour operator like Dertour or TUI would add this, I believe that it would be successfully. By the way, the Germans don't even go on the street to fight for their rights and to stop wrongful politicians, do you think that they will not travel to Florida because of politics ? Take the example of the german teenager held by turkish government in prison. Do you think that this stops Germans to spend holiday in Turkey ?
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos