WDBRR
Topic Author

Braniff's Headquarters

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 pm

I was reading about the massive sprawling excessive
headquarters built for Braniff I....I know it's now used
by Verizon....was it also used by Braniff II and III ??

OPNLguy

RE: Braniff's Headquarters

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Quoting WDBRR (Thread starter):
was it also used by Braniff II and III ??

I don't think so. One of the other Braniff versions had some office space leased over on NW Highway between Stemmons and Harry Hines, IIRC...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jetjack74

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Quoting WDBRR (Thread starter):
was it also used by Braniff II and III ??

Wasn't Braniff II and III headquartered at MCI?
Made from jets!

davidlc3

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Where was the sprawling complex? I know their Stewardess College was on the corner of the North Dallas Tollway and whatever that side street is...now it's a retirement home with bars over all the balconies...not quite the luxury tower of its former glory.

milemaster

Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:56 pm

http://i18.tinypic.com/6pfo5k5.jpg

sdf880

Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:12 pm

I worked at version 2 and we were on the NW Hwy not too far from Love field. The HDQS were in the process of being moved to MCO when the plug was pulled in Sept 89.

SDF880

davidlc3

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:06 pm

Kinda shocked that AA did not take over this facility - would have been a nice feather in their cap, like the final straw after killing off the competition. Would have been much better than Centre Port.

mauiman31

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:20 pm

Braniff International - miss them! Their HQ and FA training campus in Dallas were beautiful. Braniff II main hub was MCI. But, as posted HQ never moved there before they tanked again.

legion242

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:47 pm

Where exactly was that? I assume it is still there since there is a sat photo of it, but I thought I was pretty familiar with the area. I don't recall seeing anything that size by the airport.
Don't make me release the monkeys!!

contrails

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Wasn't Braniff II or III headquartered in Orlando? That sticks in my mind, but I don't know why.

I miss them and their rainbow fleet.
Flying Colors Forever!

KELPkid

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting Davidlc3 (Reply 6):
Kinda shocked that AA did not take over this facility - would have been a nice feather in their cap, like the final straw after killing off the competition. Would have been much better than Centre Port.

However, History seems to suggest that it wasn't AA that killed off Braniff, but rather Braniff's creditors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braniff

Scroll down to the section marked "Bankruptcy." I know that people were saying for years afterwards that it was AA, but a little more objective search will reveal what actually happened (and not to say that Bob Crandall was a nice guy, either...).
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

N702ML

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:14 pm

Here is some information from www.braniffpages.com :

Q. What happened to Braniff buildings in Texas?

A. "The Terminal of the Future" at Love Field was bought in the late 1990s by American Airlines and demolished. The "Hostess College" is still on Wycliff Ave., but it is now "Park Gate" Retirement Center. "Exchange Park" is now occupied by AT&T. "Braniff Place" was built using D/FW Airport bonds, and is still owned by D/FW Airport. It is currently leased to "Verizon" and is named "Verizon Place." The Braniff Maintenance Base on Lemon Avenue is now vacant, and used by Southwest Airlines as "overflow."

Here is a link on mapquest:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...n%20Place&qc=Hotels%20%26%20Motels

[Edited 2007-11-26 14:20:47]
The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Southwest Airlines.

commavia

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:50 am

Kinda shocked that AA did not take over this facility - would have been a nice feather in their cap, like the final straw after killing off the competition.

AA was deeply entrenched with its own digs in Grand Prairie by that point, with CP down the line.

Would have been much better than Centre Port.

No it wouldn't. The Braniff headquarters were too sprawling with fountains and gardens to be efficient, and CP was much newer. The Braniff headquarters definitely showed their age. CP, on the other hand, even today, at almost 20 years old, still looks relatively new - especially CP5.

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 10):
However, History seems to suggest that it wasn't AA that killed off Braniff

Of course AA didn't kill Braniff, but it is a common myth that is propagated to ease the pain - its easy to point a finger at cross-town rival AA, but the truth is that Braniff's own management stupidity is what killed them. AA just helped them along by being the most vibrant competitor Braniff faced in years. Sad, but true, as Braniff was a great airline.

SkyyMaster

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Legion242 (Reply 8):
Where exactly was that? I assume it is still there since there is a sat photo of it, but I thought I was pretty familiar with the area. I don't recall seeing anything that size by the airport.

If you are referring to the above photo of the old BN HQ, it is on the west side of the airfield, adjacent to the AA maintenance area. It's not easy to see from the airfield because they built "hills" around it for noise protection (I presume). I visited it a couple times after it went over to GTE. It's a very nice building, although Harding Lawrence caught hell for spending so much $$ on it at a time the carrier was bleeding cash.

commavia

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting SkyyMaster (Reply 13):
If you are referring to the above photo of the old BN HQ, it is on the west side of the airfield, adjacent to the AA maintenance area. It's not easy to see from the airfield because they built "hills" around it for noise protection (I presume).

Indeed.

Legion242: If you didn't know it was there, you wouldn't see it - at least from the airfield. However, if you're taking off or landing on the west side, and you're facing the right way (i.e., west, and not east toward the terminals) you can definitely always see it - just look for the AA hangars, and then the old Braniff HDQ is right across the street from them. From the air they're hard to miss because of their unique shape.

It's a very nice building, although Harding Lawrence caught hell for spending so much $$ on it at a time the carrier was bleeding cash.

Yeah, lest we forget this is the same company that had the multi-million-dollar art collection installed when they were already beginning to have financial troubles, and had the olive trees flown in from Greece only to watch them die the first winter.

johnclipper

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:50 am

When I used to work at DFW on the west side in Port America, I would purposefully drive home by Braniff Place and try to imagine what it was like in the late 1970s there.
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

planespotting

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 1):
One of the other Braniff versions had some office space leased over on NW Highway between Stemmons and Harry Hines, IIRC...

Right next to the gentleman's club! Damn I miss working at DAL!

I remember reading about Braniff's excess at the time and remember one great example: After the complex was built in the early 70s, Harding Lawrence flew in two olive tree's from Greece. Unfortunately, the climate of North Texas is far from the climate of the Adriatic Sea, and the two trees were dead within a year.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

MCIGuy

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:58 am

I miss the Flying Colors. My first plane trip was on them, from MKC, before MCI opened.  
It was fun guessing which color your plane was going to be.  

[Edited 2007-11-26 19:59:04]
Airliners.net Moderator Team

September11

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:06 am

This reminds me of Howard Putnam at Braniff's headquarters. Quite a complicated story about him and Braniff.
Airliners.net of the Future

National757

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 14):
Yeah, lest we forget this is the same company that had the multi-million-dollar art collection installed when they were already beginning to have financial troubles, and had the olive trees flown in from Greece only to watch them die the first winter.

I guess you have to be a little irrational to run a company in an industry who has collectively lost more money than they have made.

commavia

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:13 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 18):
This reminds me of Howard Putnam at Braniff's headquarters. Quite a complicated story about him and Braniff.

Lawrence, Putnam, olive trees, and on and on ... the idiocy went on for years. The names changed but the stupid decisions remained largely the same.

Sadly.

Type-Rated

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am

Quoting JohnClipper (Reply 15):
I would purposefully drive home by Braniff Place and try to imagine what it was like in the late 1970s there.

Well, it was very colorful! When you saw artwork on the walls, it wasn't prints but originals. Lawrence and his wife Mary loved art work. I have heard people call the place "a shrine built for Lawrence Harding". Braniff Place was one of the things he did that got him booted out from Braniff. It was a massive expenditure to say the least, at a time when things were starting to go to hell in a handbasket.

Braniff Place was also an attempt to centralize the airlines operations. They had their main computer center there, Human Resources offices there, Management Offices there, Flight Attendant training was moved in there. And even a company hotel for employees in training to stay, hence to pool. I think they even had their pilot training there too. One of the "modules" of the complex was devoted to training.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

wedgetail737

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:10 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 2):
Wasn't Braniff II and III headquartered at MCI?

Quoting Contrails (Reply 9):
Wasn't Braniff II or III headquartered in Orlando? That sticks in my mind, but I don't know why.

Yes...toward the end of Braniff II's life, their headquarters were at MCO, on the west side of the airport. I believe they moved there not too long after they acquired Florida Express (I'm probably wrong).

In any case, some friends and I managed to get Braniff parking signs from their headquarters well after their demise.

I believe Air Tran had their headquarters at the same building for a while.

davidlc3

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Here's a fun little tidbit for you....Legend Airlines was able to build their terminal on Lover's Lane thanks to Braniff. The land on which the terminal was built was the spot where Braniff initially flew before the main terminal at DAL was built and still had deed restrictions allowing it to be used for air transportation.

When we were remodelling the old hangar we found a door with the old Braniff logo....pretty cool especially since many of our folks were former BI'ers.

727tiger

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Quoting MCIGuy (Reply 17):
I miss the Flying Colors. My first plane trip was on them, from MKC, before MCI opened.
It was fun guessing which color your plane was going to be.

Mine, too -- MKC-DAL -- on one of Braniff's 727s. Flew DAL-ABI on Texas International. I only flew out of MKC one time before MCI opened, but I remember dropping my dad off there and picking him up some.

FI642

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:58 pm

I remember when BN II moved to MCO. They referred to the gate are as "Vietnam" because of
the problems with FLEX (Florida Express) and those horrific BAC-111's they flew. When we opened
ATL, one flew in, and I was gonna ride it........ changed my mind REAL fast.

Never ever so much fun in my life. Never will have as much fun either. EVERY day was a party.
There are nothing but great memories of Braniff. Great people. Wild stories. Truly fun times.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

mauiman31

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:18 pm

Thanks for all the Braniff memories. I still love BN very much. As said, a great airline. Rode their Electra's out of MKC in the 60's as a kid a couple of times to ORD and DAL. And worked for them for 3 years in the late 70's. Had a ball. Wonderful memories.

Junction

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting N702ML (Reply 11):
"The Terminal of the Future" at Love Field was bought in the late 1990s by American Airlines and demolished

I don't think this is correct, unless AA demolished it recently.
If you look at DAL on Google maps (or whatever site you want) you can see a long concourse with a rotunda at the end to the NE of the parking lots. It's still there.
Most of the old BN terminal area at DAL is mothballed, but it was not demolished. The current CO and AA ticket counters at DAL are in a small part of the old BN terminal area, and the current gates AA uses end just before the old BN area.
By the way, AA has way too much gate space at DAL for the handful of flights they offer. CO has three times as many flights with a lot less space. Has anyone else noticed this? I guess AA had big plans for a resurrection.

N702ML

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:19 pm

Quoting Junction (Reply 27):
If you look at DAL on Google maps (or whatever site you want) you can see a long concourse with a rotunda at the end to the NE of the parking lots. It's still there.

Those maps are not updated. I remember when that concourse was demolished. Don't remember the exact date, but I remember driving into the employee parking lot at Love Field and seeing the terminal in the process of being demolished.

That long concourse with the rotunda on the map WAS the Braniff concourse, but its not there anymore.
The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Southwest Airlines.

socalfive

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:27 pm

Braniff II headquarters was originally "Dalfort" and at the old Braniff HQ/Maintenance building on lemon ave at DAL beginning in 1984.

Quoting Commavia (Reply 12):
AA just helped them along by being the most vibrant competitor Braniff faced in years.

Braniff management did in deed drive them into BK, however, American was found guilty/responsible and fined millions for booking Braniff's flights full in the sabre reservation system when indeed they weren't. This of course caused people to book on American competing flights when in fact the Braniff flights were practically empty. This all occurred in late 79-early 81 when Braniff was trying to reorganize. So, American wasn't the reason for the BK, but they sure as hell contributed to it.

I don't think this is correct, unless AA demolished it recently.

The Google maps are very outdated. The Braniff concourses were torn down in 2002/2003 and are long long gone. There are recent aerial photos of DAL in the database.

N702ML

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:31 pm

If you look at this drawing showing the Braniff concourse:

http://oldterminals.topcities.com/dal%20drawing.jpg

And compare it to this updated pic of the airport:

http://oldterminals.topcities.com/love2003i.jpg

You can see that the tower at the beginning of the Braniff concourse is still there....but the rest of the concourse, which would be to the right, is gone.

Junction

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:32 pm

Quoting N702ML (Reply 28):
That long concourse with the rotunda on the map WAS the Braniff concourse, but its not there anymore.

Wow! It must have been just earlier this year then that it was torn down. Could have sworn it was still there in August when I took CO out of DAL. Did AA have it torn down?

N702ML

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:35 pm

Here ya go....from www.dallas-lovefield.com :

April 4, 2002
As recommended by the Dallas Love Field Master Plan, the demolition of the East Concourse began.

Junction

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:37 pm

Quoting N702ML (Reply 30):
http://oldterminals.topcities.com/dal%20drawing.jpg

I love that drawing. It's interesting to see WN only had one or two gates then.

socalfive

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:11 pm

Here's a photo from 2003 of DAL, at the bottom of the shot you can see the concourses are gone

https://www.airliners.net/open.file/0437039/L/

socalfive

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:12 pm

Here's a photo from 2003 of DAL, at the bottom of the shot you can see the concourses are gone

socalfive

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:43 pm

davidlc3

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:23 pm

I remember as a very small child walking through DAL...there was a rotunda area - between each hallway was a glass case with a manequin featuring one of BI's new stewardess uniform pieces....wish I knew where in the building that was.

MCIGuy

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:15 pm

Quoting 727Tiger (Reply 24):
Mine, too -- MKC-DAL -- on one of Braniff's 727s. Flew DAL-ABI on Texas International. I only flew out of MKC one time before MCI opened, but I remember dropping my dad off there and picking him up some.

Same here, first and only trip out of MKC, till I took lessons down there. Mne was 707s both ways, a blue one and a red one I think.  Smile
I remember picking up my aunt and uncle there too. Jetway, what's a jetway? Big grin

Quote:
Thanks for all the Braniff memories. I still love BN very much. As said, a great airline. Rode their Electra's out of MKC in the 60's as a kid a couple of times to ORD and DAL. And worked for them for 3 years in the late 70's. Had a ball. Wonderful memories.

Yeah, they had a big presence at MCI too once it opened. I thought they had the most interesting fleet.
Airliners.net Moderator Team

thebry

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:13 pm

Quoting Milemaster (Reply 4):

If you are referring to the above photo of the old BN HQ, it is on the west side of the airfield, adjacent to the AA maintenance area. It's not easy to see from the airfield because they built "hills" around it for noise protection (I presume). I visited it a couple times after it went over to GTE. It's a very nice building, although Harding Lawrence caught hell for spending so much $$ on it at a time the carrier was bleeding cash.

I used to work at Verizon Place (although it was called GTE Place at the time) for four years between 1994 and 1998. That was before the merger between GTE and Bell Atlantic that ultimately became Verizon.

The campus was huge, and for the time I was there was used for GTE's Yellow Pages operation, GTE Directories. The proximity to DFW was a boon for those of us who traveled frequently, because we could leave our cars in the GTE lot, and take a GTE Place shuttle to the airport. Shuttles were operated by the GTE Terraces which was an on-site hotel! When I was relocating to GTE Place (from GTE Directories in Los Alamitos, California), the company put me up in a GTE Terraces hotel room for the first few weeks I was in Texas. For those first few weeks, my commute to work was literally 60 seconds (just a walk down the long corridor that connected the hotel to the corporate offices of GTE Directories).

Looking at the aerial view (posted above by Milemaster) brought back lots of memories. I used to stand on the top deck of our parking structure and look across the highway to the American Airlines maintenance facility. I watched them take delivery of several MD-11 aircraft at that facility. I also used to walk around the lake during my lunch hour to clear my head, and always spotted MD-80s landing on the runway just west of us.

Thanks for the memories about GTE Place! Although I'm happy to be in San Francisco now, I do miss certain things about the Dallas area, and GTE Place.

WesternA318

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting Contrails (Reply 9):

I miss them and their rainbow fleet.

Now I know Putnam made the biggest mistakes, but what mistakes did Lawrence do?

socalfive

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 40):
Now I know Putnam made the biggest mistakes, but what mistakes did Lawrence do?

I think you have that backwards. Putnam tried to turn Braniff into a LCC modeled a bit like Southwest which was a huge bust but Lawrence was the long-time CEO before him who flew Braniff into the ground with over-extravagance, explosive fleet and route expansion after deregulation and him feeding his ego in every way po$$ible while Braniff footed the bills.

WesternA318

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 41):
I think you have that backwards. Putnam tried to turn Braniff into a LCC modeled a bit like Southwest which was a huge bust but Lawrence was the long-time CEO before him who flew Braniff into the ground with over-extravagance, explosive fleet and route expansion after deregulation and him feeding his ego in every way po$$ible while Braniff footed the bills.

Wow, quite differnt from the Harding Larence that ran CO under Bob Six, eh?

BraniffPages

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:50 am

"Braniff Place" was a Harding Lawrence "Wet Dream." Exchange Park was more efficient. "The Braniff Pages" will be back on-line in two days.

DELTA767-400

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:17 am

Has anyone else ever seen this?

What a time and what an imagination. Although I'm not to sure I would want to live in a world like that anyway.

Type-Rated

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:32 am

Actually. Mr. Lawrence thought he was going to get the jump on the airline industry when it was announced that deregulation was coming. He thought that deregulation wouldn't last and that when they repealed deregulation the airlines would be allowed to keep any new routes that they acquired under the period of deregulation. So Braniff applied for as many new routes as they could. Like Boeing did with the 707, he bet the company on this idea and lost.
But of course we now know this plan didn't work out. And the Braniff board ousted Mr. Lawrence when it was clear they made the wrong decision based on his suggestions.

If you look at the 1972-78 Braniff Annual Reports, you can see they were already worried about the rising cost of jet fuel. So BN decided to standardize the fleet on the 727, which at the time was more efficient than the 707/DC-8 etc. Another mistake was not to order any wide body aircraft when other airlines were doing this. Sure they had a few
747's, but those 100 series had just dreadful economy. I think a L-1011 or a DC-10 would have been a better choice for BN. But isn't the 747 much more grander than a tri jet?

There are lots of stories running around about what a "difficult" man Harding Lawrence could be. His wrath knew no limits. But he did know how the airline worked. He knew all the details of inflight service, etc. But whenever he traveled
online, people would shudder. However, I did talk to an F/A that was non-reving to LGA on BN and was seated right next to Harding himself. She said she was scared to death so she let him speak first. When the flight was over she was amazed at what a charming man he could be. She was lucky.

From what I understand he had a daughter that went to Duke U. She flew back to DFW one time on, I think it was EA,
and Harding met her at the airport. Well, it turns out that the airline had lost her luggage. Reportedly, he made such a scene in the airport overthis the entire terminal area came to a stand still.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

WesternA318

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 45):
Reportedly, he made such a scene in the airport overthis the entire terminal area came to a stand still.

Hehe, for someone who could stand up to Bob Six's outbursts and lash a few back, this seems to make sense, lol.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos