adizzy
Topic Author

YX-A Great Airline? Exspansion?

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:34 pm

Hey Guys
I was just wondering what everyone opinion about YX is. I work for them and i think it is a GREAT airline to work for and also a GREAT airline to fly on as we try to accommodate all of the passengers different needs! I think with all the awards such as the "Best Domestic Airline" awards by Travel and Leisure and the Zagat are evidence of this!

My questions is .......WHAT do you feel about YX? Where do you see YX going

We need to retire our old MD-80's....what do you think will replace them? 737? E190? A320? Some that can do a coast to coast flight would be awesome!

Do you think that they will expand or just serve the routes that they are offering right now?

I think that out of Boston they could support a non-stop flight to Omaha? Anyone see that coming?

MKENut

RE: YX-A Great Airline? Exspansion?

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:20 pm

Quoting ADiZzy (Thread starter):
My questions is .......WHAT do you feel about YX? Where do you see YX going

You left yourself wide open for loads of negative feedback.  Smile

I myself can see YX expanding if they can secure more mainline aircraft.... B737's are probably high on the list for YX to aquire. I just wonder if they are going to be used aircraft since there is a huge waiting list for new B737's. YX is also looking for a second focus city, so that tells us right there they are looking for future expansion.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:26 pm

I anticipate slow modest expansion. Midwest will chose carefully as their key benefit is to business travelers. Yes they are looking for a second focus city, and I even suspect that they might establish a second hub someday (5 to 10 years).

The key is slow controlled growth.

Note that I fly Midwest whenever I can. The few extra dollars it might cost are well worth it.

af773atmsp

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:59 pm

I wish YX would stay at DLH (Duluth, MN).  Sad But YX is still a great airline. I think YX would order the 737 to replace the MD-80s. I hope that they try another Minnesota airport like RST (Rochester, MN).
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

airbusaddict

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:14 pm

I want to see YX (i know ive been saying this for a while) add a few more "Midwest" routes.
RST
FAR
RAP
SUX
FSD
LNK
and maybe back to DLH
Finally F9! FSD-DEN 7-4-2011

cloudboy

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:26 pm

I think if Midwest wants to increase business, they are really going to have to find a better way of connecting east cost cities. People from Boston and New York don't want to have to fly all the way out to Milwaukee to get to Atlanta or Washington. I think that if they would fix that issue, they would see a huge increase in business.

However, I have learned that business decisions are rarely, if ever, based around pure logic, so I have no idea what the future REALLY holds.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

lrdc9

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:53 pm

Where do you work for them and what do you do ADiZzy? I LOVE Midwest, they are so accommodating and they have PEPSI. The best things is the uncrowded hubs (KMCI, never been to KMKE) and the fleet, because M80s rule. The 717s have great interiors to boot. I always enjoy them and hope to see them expand to mainline at BWI with an early enough flight to connect to SFO!! I think yhey are so succesful because of their slow, planned expansion, though I will be disappointed when all a/c go 2 class!! Just my $0.02 USD (wish it was EU!  Big grin )
Just say NO to scabs.

sw733

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:14 am

Midwest is good, but not great, in my eyes. Their serivce is above average, but in my eyes, is lacking a tad behind WN, but ahead of most legacies. Their seats are comfy, and the fact that they're wide is nice, but their pitch is nothing spectacular, so it's far from a first class ride (and, I know, it is not supposed to be a first class ride). Cookies are ok, but that's no reason to fly an airline.

I live in Kansas City, so I end up on them a lot for work. Like I said, they are good, but not great. Lots of the places they fly nonstop from MCI are also served by WN (at least the ones I go - SEA and LAX especially), and I usually go with whoever is cheaper. If they are the same, I'll often choose WN, even for business...I just like them a tad more.

MUWarriors

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting Cloudboy (Reply 5):
I think if Midwest wants to increase business, they are really going to have to find a better way of connecting east cost cities. People from Boston and New York don't want to have to fly all the way out to Milwaukee to get to Atlanta or Washington. I think that if they would fix that issue, they would see a huge increase in business.

I really don't think YX has any interest in getting in the east coast war for business travelers. With all the competition they would face out there, trying to initiate new service and get a foothold would be prohibitively expensive. I see YX continuing to do what they do best, slow expansion from their 2 hubs (I know some people consider neither a hub, but for the sake of argument I will) to additional business related markets. I wouldn't be shocked to see MCI gain frequencies to places like GRR or DSM on Skywest. Over time I think they will expand MCI to reach levels similar to MKE, and wouldn't be surprised if they introduce in house RJ flying. That would be after they take care of the ownership transfer and get some 737's online. But then again, I could be way off base.

usflyer msp

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:05 am

I think YX made a big strategic mistake when they got 717's instead of waiting for Embraer 195's. E195's would allow them to maintain the four-abreast seating with much better operating economics, range, and flexibility.

mpdpilot

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 7):
Midwest is good, but not great, in my eyes. Their serivce is above average, but in my eyes, is lacking a tad behind WN, but ahead of most legacies.

I am curious what you mean by this. I have been flying midwest since I was about 10 and I have been flying just about every other airline since then too and I would say that Southwest has been no where near the top of the list. I would put TED above WN and CO, DL, and even at times NW above WN. I just don't understand what puts WN ahead in so many peoples minds.

I will also add that I think that Midwest is probably the best airline ever. I think Midwest brings other airlines first class level to a more reasonable price. I am not saying that Midwest's service is first class, because it isn't but it is a lot closer than any other airline is. I really don't think that any airline can come close on a domestic route.
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

sw733

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:17 pm

Quoting MPDPilot (Reply 10):

I am curious what you mean by this. I have been flying midwest since I was about 10 and I have been flying just about every other airline since then too and I would say that Southwest has been no where near the top of the list.

What I mean by this is exactly what I said. Personal experiences have everything to do. I am not going to determine a level of service off what people on a.net say...if that were true, I might think US Airways is a good airline. I base it off my experiences, and my experiences have told me I think that service is a tad better on Southwest than on Midwest. But I do fly both a lot, and they are my two favorite American airlines.

Quoting MPDPilot (Reply 10):
I would put TED above WN and CO, DL, and even at times NW above WN

Because of personal experiences, no doubt. We all have our own. I would never ever ever put DL or NW ahead of WN or YX, and I have flown NW and DL many times, both domestic and international. CO is good, but still lacking in my eyes, and again, I have flown them domestic and international.

EXAAUADL

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:32 pm

I think the employees of YX plus the people of MKE made a big mistake by opposing the FL buyout offer...it was clear that YX mgmt was only trying to enrich themselves.....now youve climbed into bed with NWA. Do you think for one second they will let YX grow and be successful?? They want a weak but surviving YX that keeps fares high and modestly grows and that eats up some valuable real estate in MKE to keep out WN, FL or B6 from establishing a hub or large focus city

EXAAUADL

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:34 pm

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 9):
I think YX made a big strategic mistake when they got 717's instead of waiting for Embraer 195's. E195's would allow them to maintain the four-abreast seating with much better operating economics, range, and flexibility.

tehy would be out of business by now if they did that...they would be flying around in 60 seat DC9s with $100 oil

SkyexRamper

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:49 pm

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 12):
I think the employees of YX

Hey now, don't speak for everyone there.  Wink I can guarantee that all the employees were not against AirTran, there were a lot of employees from both Midwest and Skyway that were cheering on the deal. Well, +90% of the Skyway pilots and rampers. Also I know there were a fair amount of Midwest pilots that were looking forward to AirTran.

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 12):
...it was clear that YX mgmt was only trying to enrich themselves.....now youve climbed into bed with NWA. Do you think for one second they will let YX grow and be successful??

bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup   champagne 
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

cloudboy

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:59 pm

They couldn't do four abreast seating in a E195 at an increased seat width! You would be lucky to get 3 abreast!
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

MKE22

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting ADiZzy (Thread starter):
I work for them and i think it is a GREAT airline to work for and also a GREAT airline to fly on as we try to accommodate all of the passengers different needs!

Good to know we have other great people who appreciate YX (lots of YX haters on A.net). I don't think YX is a perfect airline and there are pleanty of places for them to improve in, but they are dedicated to a high quality type of service other airlines don't have (yeah, I'm from Milwaukee too). YX might have been better off taking the FL offer in terms of future expansion of it's fleet and destinations though.

TVNWZ

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:56 pm

I have flown WN and YX extensively.. YX is the better airline..on the routes it serves in Signature and Saver class. If you are on a regional jet, Southwest gets the nod. And I think WN is a very good ride.

TrijetsRMissed

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:16 am

YX got a good deal from Boeing with the 717 order. Four abreast wouldn't happen, the extra range isn't needed, and the operating economics are not that much better. I think most of us were happy when the order was made.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

usflyer msp

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:02 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 13):
tehy would be out of business by now if they did that...they would be flying around in 60 seat DC9s with $100 o

They would have had the E195's by now.

Quoting Cloudboy (Reply 15):

They couldn't do four abreast seating in a E195 at an increased seat width! You would be lucky to get 3 abreast!

They are getting rid of the extra-wide seating in most rows anyway and E195 seats are already wider than all of its competitors. So I think they could just keep the E195 at 4 abreast.

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 18):

YX got a good deal from Boeing with the 717 order. Four abreast wouldn't happen, the extra range isn't needed, and the operating economics are not that much better. I think most of us were happy when the order was made.

I think four abreast would be fine in an E195. I think Midwest would would love the extra range since 717's cannot fly MKE-west coast even with only 88 seats. I can guarantee that the operating costs of a 100 seat E195 (which would have 34-36 in seat pitch if not more) would be MUCH (at least 20%) lower than a YX 717.

cloudboy

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:58 am

But with a seat width of 18" in the 195 versus 21" in the 717. Agreed that with the move to Saver style that advantage is lost, which I think is yet another reason I don't think the mixed seat width idea is a good one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos