swiftski
Topic Author

VS Upper Class Question

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Hi,

I called VS Flying Club earlier to book an Economy reward seat. My account has been debited by the 18,000 miles requested. No problem. I also paid the taxes/charges.

I was expecting an e-ticket in T class.

I have been sent a ticket in G class; aka Upper Class.

What to do? When I view my booking online it also says Upper Class.

I don't want to get to the airport and find it has been cancelled because of an error, but don't also want to call them and potentially give up an UC seat.

Please advise,

TIA

VS239

RE: VS Upper Class Question

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:07 pm

18,000 miles ! that doesn't seem like a lot of miles for a freebie (not in upper class anyway), I'm guessing this a one-way ticket across the pond US to UK or Vice-Versa in economy. Where are you flying from / to ?
Who...me??

swiftski
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:18 pm

Quoting VS239 (Reply 1):
18,000 miles ! that doesn't seem like a lot of miles for a freebie (not in upper class anyway), I'm guessing this a one-way ticket across the pond US to UK or Vice-Versa in economy. Where are you flying from / to ?

It's one way from NY; there's a sale on for Economy.

pixuk

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:27 pm

18,000 is definitely a (current promo) reward for one-way transatlantic in Economy.

G class is definitely a seat in Upper Class.

Whilst it's tempting to take the seat and enjoy the ride up front (and having travelled in that pointy bit a few times myself, I can highly recommend it), I can understand your nervousness that your seat would be cancelled.

The honest thing to do would be to call the Flying Club, explain that you booked a Y reward, but appear to have a ticket for J. They can then decide whether the error in your favour is worth correcting.

The other option is to wait until twenty four hours before the flight and do Online Checkin. If that goes through ok, then it would seem unlikely that they would take the seat away from you.

Your choice as to how to handle it.

Pete
v-flyer.com

cloudboy

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:55 pm

Are you sure you didn't upgrade from Economy plus to upper class?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

swiftski
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting Pixuk (Reply 3):
They can then decide whether the error in your favour is worth correcting.

I'd wager they would have be in row 65 before you could even say "downgrade"

Quoting Pixuk (Reply 3):
The other option is to wait until twenty four hours before the flight and do Online Checkin. If that goes through ok, then it would seem unlikely that they would take the seat away from you.

This is a good idea; nice one!

Quoting Cloudboy (Reply 4):
Are you sure you didn't upgrade from Economy plus to upper class?

Indeed, an entirely new reservation. I have booked this as I needed to move an inbound journey forward one day and the fee was ±£750 ($1500), whereas this one-way costs me less than 10% of that amount.

swiftski
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:35 pm

Fwiw the site has me seated in row 12, window seat..

eghansen

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:54 pm

Some poorly paid reservation agent with 2 hours of training made a mistake on your reservation. He/She has no interest in calling attention to the mistake. You are booked and have a ticket, so enjoy the ride. The secret to getting bumped into a higher class is to look like you travel this way all the time and deserve it. If they call you on it, you just act very dumb and surprised. They will still have to seat you in coach anyway because you have a ticket.

P.S. Keep the booties and the eyeshades for your next flight when you are back in Economy.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

laca773

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:00 am

Good Luck with this. I hope VS will honor this G class ticket for you even though you used your miles for a Y class ticket. Either way, it's their error and it would be good business sense to allow you to remain in UC.

Slightly off topic, how are Virgin's Upper Class Amentity kits?

LACA773

Viscount724

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:38 am

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 7):
Some poorly paid reservation agent with 2 hours of training made a mistake on your reservation. He/She has no interest in calling attention to the mistake. You are booked and have a ticket, so enjoy the ride.

Personally I think it's a little like asking an ATM for $100 and having it spit out $1000 by mistake and pocketing the windfall. Except in that case you would be much less likely to get away with it.

pixuk

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:31 pm

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 8):
Slightly off topic, how are Virgin's Upper Class Amentity kits?

Virgin are calling their latest kits the "Snooze Packs", us passengers call them "Scrooge Packs" due to their lack of substance.

You get a cloth bag, with toothbrush, toothpaste, razor and earplugs; then you can select additional items like lip balm, polos and pens from a basket. It's pretty cheap, and one glaring sign of cost-cutting in Upper Class.

zrs70

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:43 pm

I am often amazed at the ethics here. The OP obviously was booked into a cabin he shouldn't have been. Whether or not VS catches it is not the important. What's important in that the passenger do the right thing.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

jimbo27L

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:24 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 11):
I am often amazed at the ethics here. The OP obviously was booked into a cabin he shouldn't have been. Whether or not VS catches it is not the important. What's important in that the passenger do the right thing.

Why? If the poster was 'the man in the street' and knew nothing about fare codes, he wouldnt know an error had been made and would be looking forward to his reward flight in Y.

I say ride with it and see what happens.

AEROFAN

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:29 pm

Pixuk

I agree it's pretty cheap. But have you flown other carriers? EK for instance only offers tacky socks and eyeshade for their flights of equal length (that's it!) . Plus at least also VS offers a snooze suit. I can't think of any other carriers that offers such in their J cabin. not even the vaunted SQ

airfoilsguy

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:33 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 11):
What's important in that the passenger do the right thing.

I don't think one passenger is going to break the company.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

zrs70

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:45 pm

The op isn't the guy in the street. He knows better, and he has a responsibility. And it doesn't matter what impact it has on the company. It doesn't matter if at some other time, the passenger was mistreated by the airline. It doesn't matter if the passenger can "get away with it." It's the wrong thing to do. Period.

[Edited 2007-11-30 09:52:23]

davescj

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:06 pm

No, I disagree with Zrs70. If it were money given in change, I'd agree -- return it. Once VS has programed their computer to accept a given number of miles for a G ticket, it is VS's responsibility. Their computer error IS NOT the customer's responsibility. It is that of VS. It is NOT the customer's job to do the company's computer work and reservation work for them.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

zrs70

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting Davescj (Reply 16):
It is NOT the customer's job to do the company's computer work and reservation work for them.

I would hope that we rise above what most other people do. After all, we love the aviation industry! We should be advocates, not looking to take advantage when we know better.

Making the world a better place happens one person at a time, one action at a time.

Curiousflyer

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:25 pm

The world of airlines is one of many mistakes, and they are rarely in the passenger's favor... take it.

airfoilsguy

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:55 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 17):
Making the world a better place happens one person at a time, one action at a time.

I agree with you but I would still take it.  Smile

Would be nice if there were more people in the world like you.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

davescj

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:52 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 17):
We should be advocates, not looking to take advantage when we know better.

I agree -- advocates for a just system. It is just to accept a merchants bid when the price is right.

On the other hand, what about consumers? When prices are lowered, why don't I get an automatic refund if the fares go down? Normally, I have to pay the 100 change fee BEFORE I get the lower price, as I already agreed to another price (the higher one). Another example -- when Congress and the president shut down the government a few yrs back, why didn't the airline industry automatically refund the money they collected in tax that wasn't going to be paid, due to the shut down. I had to manually have the money sent back, even though all the information was in my reservation, including my CC #.

Sorry, I would treat this as a pricing error. They offered a service at a price. The customer accepted. Was it the "normal" price? No. BUT THE CUSTOMER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR PRICING. The seller is. The customer -- with good faith -- bought a product from a company. It is that simple.

Dave

luv2fly

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 15):
The op isn't the guy in the street. He knows better, and he has a responsibility.

The airline also has a responsibility to check the work of its employees and assure this does not happen! So since they dropped the ball here I say go for it, Merry Christmas, ENJOY! You get what you pay for when you hire the cheapest employees and these type of easily preventable errors slip through the crack.
You can cut the irony with a knife

codc10

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:58 am

Give me a friggin break!

Just roll with it and see how it goes. What's the worst that could happen? They realize their mistake, rebook you into Economy, and give you what you paid for? Best case, nobody figures it out, you ride up front, and your impression of VS only gets better.

It is not the passenger's responsibility to police the airline for errors they make. Just play dumb and let their staff correct themselves, and if they don't, enjoy the ride!

You really do not have anything to lose in this case, unless you find yourself unable to get a seat on a 100% sold-out flight on a 100% sold-out day, and if that were to be the case, I doubt VS would have promo redemption availability in their inventory if they expected those kind of loads.

zrs70

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:24 pm

Quoting CODC10 (Reply 22):
What's the worst that could happen?

Again, we live in a "it's only wrong if you get caught" mentality. Whether or not VS finds out is irrelevant. Knowingly taking advantage of another is just wrong.

Yes, it happens all the time, and that's why it seems like such a non issue. But if it were such a non issue, the OP would not have posted in the first place. Obviously he knows he got something he should not have.

ManchesterMAN

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:29 pm

My tip: Keep checking on your booking using the manage booking feture on the website to confirm you still have a reservation. So long as you have a ticket number you're fine. Perhaps call VS regarding your booking but don't mention outright that you paid economy and got upper. Think of some excuse to call that will prompt the agent to confirm your class of travel - perhaps say you can't access the seat map online and would like to choose / confirm your seat assignment. On this subject, what aircraft are you flying? If it is a 747 then you will want to change your seat assignment anyway as row 12 is a bit too close to the bar.

I wouldn't worry about it. Go with the flow but don't get too disapointed if you end up in the back. Whatever you do though don't mention anything. Checking in online is a good idea. And finally, enjoy the clubhouse!
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

PiedmontINT

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:45 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 9):

Personally I think it's a little like asking an ATM for $100 and having it spit out $1000 by mistake and pocketing the windfall. Except in that case you would be much less likely to get away with it.

This actually happened to my roomate once, not $1000 but he wanted 40 bucks and got 60. He didn't say anything but noticed that there was an ATM withdrawl for $40 and then $20 on the same day, so the bank knew he got a little extra..

Also, to keep on topic, who wouldn't take advantage of this situation? VS has no trouble making money and I as well as 99.9999% of people (excluding Mother Teresa) wouldn't feel guilty about taking a nearly free ride in Upper Class on their expense. I dont see what the big deal is about and why some of you are crying foul and that the thread starter is wrong for taking advantage of the situation. Its not like he found a bag of money in front of an orphanage people..  sarcastic 

nema

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 23):
What's the worst that could happen?

Gimme your name and date of travel and i,ll let em know for you.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

B6MoneyGuyJFK

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:42 pm

There are several ways this could play out.

Call them and explain.. They say sorry for the error and send you to row 119
Call them and explain.. They say "aren't you sweet?" and leave it alone
Call them and explain.. They split the difference and put you in premium economy
You do nothing......... They realize its an error, and send you to row 119
You do nothing......... They ask you if you'd like your steak well done while you wait in the clubhouse
You call and bring attention to your reservation by asking for a (XXXX) meal (Insert kosher / Low cal / Low salt / whatever)
your reservation moves you to row 119
You call and bring attention to your reservation by asking for a (XXXX) meal (Insert kosher / Low cal / Low salt / whatever)
They say its a pleasure to welcome you to upper class

I'm sure you've heard about airlines making mistakes (there is a website (or several) that Alerts you to them) and people have flown to Paris from Lax for something like $119, which was the taxes, not the fare. It happens, it gets corrected, but there are a lucky few who become the beneficiary of these mistakes.
The question is: Did you call Virgin in an attempt to defraud them out of a first class ticket by using the miles for an economy seat? Of course not. You are the happy beneficiary of that mistake.
Several years ago, I flew from NY to Rome on TWA for $99.00. It was a "feature city:" so I got double frequent flier miles, which I then used for a ticket to Florida, and was then upgraded to first class. I didn't argue with them.

Have a great trip regardless of the section you end up in
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one, and everyone thinks everyone elses stinks!

BlueShamu330s

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:54 pm

Swiftski

I'd have kept quiet, looked a bit lost at check-in (show someone in uniform your ticket "Excuse me, where do I check in for this flight?" etc blah blah blah), hand over your documents and see what happened.

I think your biggest mistake was posting on here because, no surprise, there are more than one or two VS employees subscribing to this once excellent site.  footinmouth 

Be sweet, act innocent, and if it all comes off well, enjoy the ride.  airplane  Who knows, you might enjoy a top notch landing too  Wink

Que sera, sera.  goodvibes 

Shamu
Flying around India

davescj

Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 24):
So long as you have a ticket number you're fine.

You'd think that a ticket would suggest the carrier entered into a valid contract. Though, I believe it was UA once, attempted to cancel a large number of tickets that were ORD to Hong Kong for $100 or something, citing a "programing error." I don't honestly remember the final outcome, but I think UA honored the tickets. Why? They entered a contract.

It is that simple.

Dave

pixuk

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:09 am

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 13):
Pixuk

I agree it's pretty cheap. But have you flown other carriers? EK for instance only offers tacky socks and eyeshade for their flights of equal length (that's it!) . Plus at least also VS offers a snooze suit. I can't think of any other carriers that offers such in their J cabin. not even the vaunted SQ

I criticise the current amenity kit only because the previous Ozwald Boateng kits were so superior. For a regular VS traveller, that's a noticeable cutback.

Most potential VS passengers will compare the service with BA; so whilst elsewhere in the world the amenity kits may not be so grand, BA are offering a neat bag of Elemis products. Virgin are losing ground in that area, and J customers notice this things. I think, and this is just a personal observation, Virgin have got into the mindset that their Upper Class Suite is so much better than the NNCW seat (and it is), that they can ignore all the other service elements like the food, amenity kit, red satin pillows, flowers on the bar, and a growing list of other things that have declined or disappeared over the last couple of years since the introduction of the UCS. I agree the sleep suits are a nice touch - but I wonder how long before a VS beancounter gets them in their sights for the red pen treatment.

I'm still flying VS, but there's been a lot of things over the last 12 months which have stretched my loyalty.

BTW, back to the OPs original question. I'd do what your conscious tells you; but don't sweat it too much if that means putting your head down and shooting for Upper. As others have pointed out in this thread, 99.9% of the population wouldn't even know what G class even means; and given involuntary upgrades happen all the time, clearly it's no great shake for the airline if you're sitting up the front but have only 'paid' for an Economy seat.

Pix.

swiftski
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:41 pm

Quoting Cloudboy (Reply 32):
I am assuming then you still have a bit of a balance left?

±100k

Maybe they actually do value your business and are just being nice

Absoulutely. If so, a very nice gesture to a FF.

ManchesterMAN

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:15 pm

I think the chances of you keeping your upper class seat are extremely good so long as you do the right thing and keep quiet and act dumb. I frequent the flyertalk forums and the first rule there is never call the airline if you get a error fare. The very worst that can happen to you if you stay quiet is you get moved back to Y. Check in online or at a kiosk to avoid potential embarassment of going to upper class check in and being told you are in Y. And don't worry about doing poor old Virgin out of a J class seat. See it as payback for having to sit in their Y class on other flights. VS Y class certainly pushes human rights laws to the limit.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

zrs70

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 34):
I think the chances of you keeping your upper class seat are extremely good so long as you do the right thing and keep quiet and act dumb. I frequent the flyertalk forums and the first rule there is never call the airline if you get a error fare. The very worst that can happen to you if you stay quiet is you get moved back to Y. Check in online or at a kiosk to avoid potential embarassment of going to upper class check in and being told you are in Y. And don't worry about doing poor old Virgin out of a J class seat. See it as payback for having to sit in their Y class on other flights. VS Y class certainly pushes human rights laws to the limit.

Is this where society is? You have to act dumb and do something secretly, even though you believe it is the right thing to do?

jimbo27L

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:13 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 35):
Is this where society is? You have to act dumb and do something secretly, even though you believe it is the right thing to do?

Mr Zrs70,
Looking at your profile I can see why youre pressing the 'morally correct' thing to do here. However, there is no right or wrong here, no winner or loser.

If Mr Swiftski wasnt aware of the fare codes he wouldnt be any the wiser of the situation he finds himself. And on check in would realise he had been bumped to J (or not, as the case may be) and given that he seems to be a loyal VS customer, Im sure the airline wouldnt begrudge him that.

If the mistake does go unidentified, Mr Swiftski is delighted he got his J seat for Y miles, and is so happy that he keeps his custom with VS. He wins, VS wins.

If the mistake is identified, Mr Swiftski gets what he originally wanted, a Y seat for Y miles. No harm done.

AEROFAN

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:15 pm

I'm amazed at how dishonest society has become.

Supposed it was a reverse situation where you were supposed to have your account deducted for an Upper class redemption and the agent did that but assigned you a Y cabin seat.

I wonder what you would have done?

All I can say is to let your conscience be your guide

jimbo27L

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:25 pm

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 37):

Supposed it was a reverse situation where you were supposed to have your account deducted for an Upper class redemption and the agent did that but assigned you a Y cabin seat.

Any more dishonest than an airline over selling a flight, and then telling people who booked months in advance, booked vacation time off work and arranged to have the neighbours look after the cat that they wont be at their destination for a birthday, wedding, Xmas etc etc???

What goes around comes around.

luv2fly

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:28 pm

Quoting Jimbo27L (Reply 38):
Any more dishonest than an airline over selling a flight, and then telling people who booked months in advance, booked vacation time off work and arranged to have the neighbours look after the cat that they wont be at their destination for a birthday, wedding, Xmas etc etc???

You hit the nail on the head, like my Mom always said, what goes around comes around.
You can cut the irony with a knife

cloudboy

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:37 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 33):
I am assuming then you still have a bit of a balance left?

±100k

Maybe they actually do value your business and are just being nice

Absoulutely. If so, a very nice gesture to a FF.

100K? Then you should probably be gold, right? Doesn't that automatically bump you up? I forget the details, but I would almost assume that was what was happening. At that level it should!
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

ikramerica

Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:02 pm

I got FF miles once for flying on a consolidator ticket on CO even though the rules of the ticket clearly said the fare is not eligible for mileage credit.

I think I'm going to hell...  Wink
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

jimbo27L

Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:10 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 41):
I got FF miles once for flying on a consolidator ticket on CO even though the rules of the ticket clearly said the fare is not eligible for mileage credit.

I think I'm going to hell...

Or worse...EWR!!

TPAnx

Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:19 pm

Years ago, I was in Washington, D-C when a snowstorm..actually a blizzard..shut down flights in the Northeast.
Logan was closed while I sat in a plane at the gate, eating a Delta breakfast which a flight attendant was kind enough to
serve me before boarding was over. Had to go back to the Washington Hilton for another night. Got there and found a long line of grumpy people in foul-smelling wet overcoats waiting to check in. Was waved to the front of the line by the desk clerk..who'd checked me out earlier that morning..and who'd given me 20 dollars too much in change...which I returmed to him. Was given a much better room..at a lower rate than I'd been paying.! I'm not trying to make myself out to be an example for others..I'd most likely use the OP's ticket for an upgraded ride..but:

TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

pixuk

Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:36 pm

Quoting Cloudboy (Reply 40):
100K? Then you should probably be gold, right? Doesn't that automatically bump you up? I forget the details, but I would almost assume that was what was happening. At that level it should!

The OP has identified himself as VS Gold, but sadly that doesn't automatically bump you on Virgin. Yes, you get op-ups more often carrying Virgin Gold, but there's no such thing as an automatic upgrade - particularly from Economy to Upper (skipping Premium). Be nice if they did though - I'd save a fortune  Wink

I hear the moral arguments, and I'd be in the same situation having a regular contact at the VS (almost like an account manager), and I'd struggle not to mention it to her. However, I'm not going to suggest it would be a heinous crime or the end of society if the OP were to keep stum and just take the chance.

Pix

ManchesterMAN

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 37):

Personally I've been screwed over so many times by airlines I would have absolutely no problem "taking something back". The airlines will get away with whatever they can. Today for example I found out that BA had cancelled the LGW-KEF route from next summer. I booked a cheap flight on them at a time when I could have got a comparable fare on FI. Now BA have pulled the route and FI want £250 for the date that cost me £50 on BA. All BA will do is refund the £50 and tell me to go and buy a ticket on FI. So for putting my faith in BA I lose £200. This is just one example of how an airline wouldn't think twice about screwing a pax so it should be no surprise whe pax try to get whatever they can from the airlines.

Frankly if the OP didn't know much about aviation the situation probably wouldn't have been spotted until he got a nice surprise at check-in anyway. Why should he suffer for knowing something about fare codes? Personally I see it as a game of each side trying to screw what they can out of the other, whilst obviously staying within the law. It is nothing to do with dishonesty in society in general. When I'm not talking airplane tickets I'm one of those people who's too honest for his own good.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos