kaitak
Topic Author

Flying Into December: Irish Aviation 53/07

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:12 pm

Well, folks, we're coming into the final straight of 2007 and what a year it's been. Lots of positive, although some negative, developments. I think 2008 will see a significant slowing down, but I don't want to be too negative (indeed, I don't want to be negative at all). After all, we have a first rate team in the cockpit of Ireland 1, Capt Ahern and his merry crew, so what could possibly go wrong ...

This coming month sees BFS routes coming online for Aer Lingus and I really do hope they are a big success for the airline.

2008 will, of course, see full Open Skies across the Atlantic, but with the price of oil rising and the US dollar weak and red lights on the economic indicators, it might be a few years before we really see the full advantage of this; on top of that, of course, DUB is going to be a living nightmare next Summer, particularly for long haul. The biggest economic boost next year will probably come from the east and this could be a massively important boost; I know I've spoken about this, but I can't overstate its importance. EK will, if it looks favourably on DUB, open up a huge number of new markets.

We should hopefully see the EI/B6 deal come to fruition before year end and that will be good, particularly when - sometime next year - EI will do a similar deal with RE. I think that once that happens, we'll see a significant reorganisation of short haul routes, with RE replacing EI on some of them and frequencies being rejigged to maximise connection potential. Of course, we all look forward to RE making a decision on jets ... fingers crossed.

So, it's not all going to be bad next year and we should still see some significant developments. I see growth in pax traffic slowing down, rather than being reversed; it will be interesting to see how many, if any routes are launched from DUB/ORK/SNN next Summer; it will be a good test of airlines' confidence.

So, folks, over to you again ...

neutral

RE: Flying Into December: Irish Aviation 53/07

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:29 pm

As always Kaitak a good intro, lets hope the good work at last being achieved in Irish Aviation keeps going in 2008 with plenty of more new routes from all airports etc.Dublin will be a bit of a nightmare with all the construction but it should be worth it when T2,new runway and more aircraft parking is delivered over the coming years.

B747forever

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
I think 2008 will see a significant slowing down,

That is true. But 2009 will be a great year for Irish Aviation.

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
EK will, if it looks favourably on DUB, open up a huge number of new markets.

That is true. EK will compete with BA on many routes.
Work Hard, Fly Right

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Just noticed this on Speednews:

November 28: Ireland's Air Contractors Group has entered into exclusive negotiations to acquire France's Europe Airpost, which operates 16 737-300s, two A300B4s and four F27s.

Interestingly, two of those 733s are the former EI-BUD and 'BUE, delivered to EI twenty years ago; I actually remember the day EI-BUD was delivered (late Oct '87), since it was the airline's first "new generation" aircraft; up to then, the fleet was 732s, 111s and 747s.

tonymctigue

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:50 pm

Great intro Kaitak as always. Yes indeed 2008 will hopefully see WX move into SNN & provide some form of a replacement for the EI SNN-LHR route. As for the remaining EI routes out of SNN, hopefully they will commit beyond the winter 2008 timetable in the not too distant future. As for these rumours that popped up towards the end of the last thread about a US tour operator planning to begin services between SNN & six US cities, it would be a huge confidence boost for SNN particurarly in the wake of open skies.

On a similar topic, we will hopefully see new routes by US carriers, in particular, NW & UA, both of whom appear to have an interest in starting routes to Ireland.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

OA260

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:01 pm

Just one question on transit traffic in DUB!! When somone flies from BCN-DUB-JFK do they still have to come out through arrivals and back up to departures and go to fast track???

I have some friends who will be on vacation with me and they were asking . I emailed them back to ask them what made them choose EI Via DUB rather than another route or airline. Will be interesting to hear their opinions from a consumer point of view and un biased.

extspotter

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:27 pm

I have returned from the blue screen of death and am happy to greet you on the 53rd of the year.

Any news about the EI/B6 in the near future?

Also, isn't Air Contractors taking on a big thing with Europe Airpost? It is several times larger in real terms...

Sit back, relax and enjoy the FR bashing.

Alex @ EXT looking for the elusive TS A310.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

tonymctigue

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting EXTspotter (Reply 6):
I have returned from the blue screen of death

I was there myself earlier this evening.

Quoting EXTspotter (Reply 6):
Any news about the EI/B6 in the near future?

Hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later. One would imagine that it will be up & running before next summer season. Likewise with the RE deal.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

rineanna

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Hello all,

Good to see Air Contractors looking at purchasing EuroPost. As EXTSpotter said, however, this scale of inorganic growth may be a bit much. On another note, have they began taking delivery of the 733F they had ordered (or did I just make that up?!)

Quoting BrianDromey:
I doubt Mary will be going anywhere. What departments need is long term thinkers in for the long term. Mary is the only minister with anything like the balls needed to tackle the health service. Everyone else would just listen like the muppets they are to what the public servants are telling them (cough...transport...cough).

I've seen her give some great speeches, and I got the impression that woe will betide anyone who gets in her way. She took on the consultants with vim and vigor, and she is absolutely passionate about what she does. Health needs to be tackled from the top down. Its a slow process, but I am of the belief that the transformation will literally happen overnight once all the pieces are in place. Its getting the pieces in place that is the problem.....

While she would be great for Transport, the crumbling health service needs her more.

I know I mightn't seem to agree with you on many fronts (Read: Shannon!) but I whole-heartedly second what you've said here. I'm a staunch supporter of Harney (which isn't an easy position to be in when you have two nurses and a Radiographer in your family! There have been rows!!), and I too wish people would wake up and realise that there's no overnight fix to the problems currently being experienced in the Health Service. The Breast Cancer scandal was calamitous, but that can't be wholly attributed to her. She volunteered for the Health portfolio when it arose when no one else would touch it with a barge-pole, and insisted on remaining in it after the last shake-up of the cabinet.

She did a great job at the Dept of Enterprise, and I'd love to see her in the Transport Portfolio some day. Although, didn't she say that this year's General Election would be her last?

OA260

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 8):
I too wish people would wake up and realise that there's no overnight fix to the problems currently being experienced in the Health Service

Well to be fair the health service has been a huge problem for half the time ive lived in this country and it really is a disgrace that for such a small Island nation you have people waiting for beds and you are closing down hospitals around the country.. You need to be building more hospitals with top class facilites not closing them down. Maybe money needs to be cut back from other non urgent things and be put into the health service with a new body for making sure the money is used for front line services and not pen pushers . Also why do you need all these different health boards??? One good integrated one would be enough for the whole country !!! The Irish have to hang their heads in shame with regards their health service. There are real life stories that I know of that are heart wrenching. Like my friends Dad who died in a corridor after being in there for 2 days on a trolley !!!! What a great nation  Yeah sure

COEI2007

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Just one question on transit traffic in DUB!! When somone flies from BCN-DUB-JFK do they still have to come out through arrivals and back up to departures and go to fast track???

No, they should have their onwards boarding card issued in BCN, and once they arrive, the can proceed to the stairs located next to baggage belt 1, go upstairs, and through security

OA260

Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:50 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 10):
No, they should have their onwards boarding card issued in BCN, and once they arrive, the can proceed to the stairs located next to baggage belt 1, go upstairs, and through security

Thats great thanks I will tell them. So far there are about 10 booked and could rise to 35!! Will be a good few transits off the BCN flight. Some may stop over in DUB for a few days. We are all flying back from a cruise. My only problem is baggage allowance as Im ending my journey in Dublin so will only get 20 Kilos . Not good after a shopping spree in Miami......

f1eddie

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:21 am

I know I mightn't seem to agree with you on many fronts (Read: Shannon!) but I whole-heartedly second what you've said here. I'm a staunch supporter of Harney (which isn't an easy position to be in when you have two nurses and a Radiographer in your family! There have been rows!!), and I too wish people would wake up and realise that there's no overnight fix to the problems currently being experienced in the Health Service. The Breast Cancer scandal was calamitous, but that can't be wholly attributed to her. She volunteered for the Health portfolio when it arose when no one else would touch it with a barge-pole, and insisted on remaining in it after the last shake-up of the cabinet.

She did a great job at the Dept of Enterprise, and I'd love to see her in the Transport Portfolio some day. Although, didn't she say that this year's General Election would be her last?

Yup i two am a supporter of Mary Harney. Just think about this. How many things like this, years ago, were swept under the carpet and never heard about, so its an improcement that we are even hearing about this. And fair play to Harney. She is at least taking the bulls by the horns as opposed to hiding away!!! Also who would replace her anyway???

P.S she survived the vote of no confidence...
Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:18 am

The IT reports this morning (on yesterday's meeting between senior Dept of Transport civil servants and the Oireachtas Transport cttee) that WX and SNN are still in talks and WX "may" launch a service in January; consideration is also being given to a PSO service.

The secretary of the department said that even if she had informed the minister, there was little he could have done - nor indeed could he do anything if EI chose to axe services from ORK and DUB to LHR (oddly enough, I thought that ND was going to appoint two more EI directors and had committed himself to protecting routes from ORK and DUB to LHR). All of this suggests that the decision to retain a 25% stake in EI was a bit silly?

There seems to be some confusion in the timeline, since it is suggested that EI was considering a BFS base about 5 mos. before the decision was announced; but wasn't BHX still being openly predicted earlier this year and a lot closer to the announcement of the EI decision?

Separately, Tourism minister (and former Transport minister), Seamus Brennan, said SNN would have to fight hard to make sure it and the area it served were still on the tourism map. There is a fund of about €60m being established to assist in this.

B747forever

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting Tonymctigue (Reply 4):
we will hopefully see new routes by US carriers, in particular, NW & UA, both of whom appear to have an interest in starting routes to Ireland.

Will we see UA from SFO????

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 13):
that WX and SNN are still in talks and WX "may" launch a service in January;

Hope then that WX will start launch a service so early in 2008.
Work Hard, Fly Right

tonymctigue

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:55 am

Separately, Tourism minister (and former Transport minister), Seamus Brennan, said SNN would have to fight hard to make sure it and the area it served were still on the tourism map. There is a fund of about %u20AC60m being established to assist in this.

Yeah what ever happened to that? I haven't heard any more about that fund since it was announced.

WX and SNN are still in talks and WX "may" launch a service in January

All going well, we will se WX at SNN sometime next year.

rineanna

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:40 am

but wasn't BHX still being openly predicted earlier this year and a lot closer to the announcement of the EI decision?

That's true; a smokescreen maybe?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Also why do you need all these different health boards??? One good integrated one would be enough for the whole country !!!

They are gone; the HSE is that 'integrated' health board that replaced them.

OA260

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:13 am

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...ight-fight-to-ryanair-1232610.html

By Tom McEnaney
Thursday November 29 2007

Cathal Giomard, the man who regulates Irish aviation, has an Irish Independent article pinned to a board above his desk. The article is about Michael O'Leary having yet another go at the regulator. Your eye is immediately drawn to the sections highlighted in yellow in which O'Leary calls Giomard "a wanker", an invective the Ryanair boss later repeated in an RTE interview.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...-looks-set-to-drag-on-1232527.html

Aer Lingus dispute looks set to drag on

By Laura Noonan
Thursday November 29 2007

The chances of a speedy resolution to the Aer Lingus dispute looked remote last night, as the first step of a timetable proposed by the National Implementation Body passed by.

The industrial relations superbody was due to meet with Aer Lingus and trade union Siptu yesterday to "assess progress" in the dispute in the row over €20m in annual cost cuts.

http://www.independent.ie/travel/tra...worlds-worst-airports-1232142.html

The world's worst airports

Trying to get away in the modern age is enough to make anyone terminally frustrated. As a new survey nominates the worst airports in the world, our foreign correspondents choose their least favourite flight paths

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2007/1129/1196263130152.html

Dempsey 'powerless' if Aer Lingus ends other services

Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey and his department would be virtually powerless to intervene if Aer Lingus chose to axe services from Cork or Dublin airports, the secretary general of the Department of Transport said yesterday.

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:30 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 17):
Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey and his department would be virtually powerless to intervene if Aer Lingus chose to axe services from Cork or Dublin airports, the secretary general of the Department of Transport said yesterday.

Just have to ask; what actual function does a transport minister serve nowadays? Is there actually a need for one (I think there is, by the way), but it just occurs to me that in his five months of holding office, ND has achieved the grand total of sod-all. He was (we're led to believe) caught completely off-guard by the EI-SNN/LHR decision, he can't do this, not responsible for that, doesn't know about anything else. WHAT EXACTLY IS HIS ROLE?

I understand, in connection with RE and FR on the DUB-ORK route that FR seems to be engaged in a battle of wills with RE, with the latter matching fares; unfortunately, I can't see how RE can last, since FR is much more "cash rich" than RE and can effectively see them off, if they choose - which they seem to be choosing.

OA260

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:33 pm

Aer Arann have a sale on :::

Its Happy hour Again @ www.aerarann.com!

6,000 Seats, 60 Cent (+ taxes and charges) for 60 Minutes, across 6 Routes!

Available today only during 'Happy Hour' 1 - 2pm (GMT) Thursday 29th November
2007 on the following routes:

Sligo - Manchester -
Manchester - Sligo -

Waterford - Manchester -
Manchester - Waterford -

Dublin - Isle of Man -
Isle of Man - Dublin -

Galway - London Luton -
London Luton - Galway -

Cork - Cardiff -
Cardiff - Cork -

Cork - Leeds Bradford -
Leeds Bradford - Cork -

Travel Period: Dec 1st 2007 - Dec 31st 2007

Booking Period: 29 Nov 1 - 2 pm (GMT)

Please pass on to friends and colleagues!

Bramble

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:18 pm

She volunteered for the Health portfolio when it arose when no one else would touch it with a barge-pole, and insisted on remaining in it after the last shake-up of the cabinet.

I personally think she is very brave and obviously determined to chanfe the Health system as her legacy to the nation. Imagaine the disaster possible if the hapless fools that are DIck Roche,Brian Lenihan,Noel Dempsey,Martin Cullen were appointed Health Minister!!!!!!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Also why do you need all these different health boards??? One good integrated one would be enough for the whole country !!!

In theory th e single HSE was supposed to strealine the Health System. In practise the same ppl are employed just with several more layers of management.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 17):
The world's worst airports

Trying to get away in the modern age is enough to make anyone terminally frustrated. As a new survey nominates the worst airports in the world, our foreign correspondents choose their least favourite flight paths

This is a copy of the an article in the UK Independant yesterday. It was in the magazine section. I nabbed one on my flight. It is quite good,several journalists rate there worst airport. Scarily though 2 of them mention Dublin in their pieces about Beijing and Paris CDG.

Clifford Coonan ''....and, of course, Dublin, which has queues that would put the old airport in Bangkok to shame, although this, too, is being upgraded. Constantly.''

John Lichfield ''.....Bad airports aren't exclusive to France, however. .......Dublin is always being torn down and rebuilt; it never seems to be finished and never seems adequate enough to cope with all the extra air-passenger traffic generated by the budget airline Ryanair and the Irish economic boom.''

Beauvais by John Lichfield- "Marginally less awful [than CDG], but only just, is Beauvais, north-west of Paris (a Ryanair hub). This has developed in past 10 years from a prefab in a muddy field to a tent in a muddy field and, now, a new cardboard building in a muddy field. It's miles away from Paris, and only reachable by a long coach-ride"

OA260

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:31 pm

Quoting Bramble (Reply 20):
Beauvais by John Lichfield- "Marginally less awful [than CDG], but only just, is Beauvais, north-west of Paris (a Ryanair hub). This has developed in past 10 years from a prefab in a muddy field to a tent in a muddy field and, now, a new cardboard building in a muddy field. It's miles away from Paris, and only reachable by a long coach-ride"

rotfl   rotfl  Thats the top class facility MOL wanted for Dublin ......  Yeah sure

jwmd123

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:34 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 18):
Just have to ask; what actual function does a transport minister serve nowadays? Is there actually a need for one (I think there is, by the way), but it just occurs to me that in his five months of holding office, ND has achieved the grand total of sod-all. He was (we're led to believe) caught completely off-guard by the EI-SNN/LHR decision, he can't do this, not responsible for that, doesn't know about anything else. WHAT EXACTLY IS HIS ROLE?

I agree with you that in terms of Aviation, ND has not done a lot, but I have to give him credit on other areas of transport. We now have routes selected for the other Luas lines, work on a metro to the airport, roads continuing to be constructed to make the country more accessible.

The problem is, many people focus on the issues that are important to them. most people only fly a few times of the year and so it is more important they have a motorway or a bypass of their town then a new airport/terminal.

just my 2 cents

EIDAA

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:51 pm

Quick question for those that know a little about the construction works at DUB...

What work is currently being done around taxiways F1, E1, Link 1 and B2? Recently, departures off Runway 28 have gone from the 16/34 intersection and I am just wondering why these taxiways were closed? According to the NOTAMs for Dublin, some of these will be closed for a number of months. Is it related to T2 construction work, or simply taxiway improvements?

I notice the new M1/M2 taxiway is in operation, while P1/P2 are also apparently closed for a few months.

Finally, when will the parking area in front of Pier C be eliminated?

Any information appreciated.
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:54 pm

OK, fair point, JWMD123.

I see this evening that EI is combining flights to Italy this evening; the EI 406 to FCO flies via Bologna. This is probably due to tomorrow's Italian transport strike.

B747forever

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:58 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 19):
Aer Arann have a sale on :::

Wow, seems really good.

Anyone of you guys going to buy any tickets???
Work Hard, Fly Right

smokeyrosco

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:41 pm

Quoting EIDAA (Reply 23):
Quick question for those that know a little about the construction works at DUB...

I know some of it's to do with drainage for T2 but I can't remember exactly what parts have to do with what.
John Hancock

EI787

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:41 pm

Good to see that Seat Guru have updated the EI aircraft pages. It now says under the Video tab on each of the A330's, it now states the particulars, even giving the registrations of those aircraft with PTV's and those without!

I sent them an email last week to tell them about the errors on the pages. Did anyone else? Obviously they listened to the emails anyway!!

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Aer...gus/Aer_Lingus_Airbus_A330-200.php

EI350

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:17 pm

Hello Everyone! I was away last weekend in beautiful Donegal and had to catch up on Leaving Cert study this week....there's so much! So haven't had time to post!

Quoting EI787 (Reply 27):

That's good to see. I know a lot of people in the US check this site before booking and it would be disappointing to believe you were getting a flight on DUZ or DUO and end up with one of the older planes. Does anyone know what aircraft normally operates the 105? My mum and brother are flying out next week on it.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 18):
ND has achieved the grand total of sod-all.

I agree Noel Dempsey doesn't seem to have a clue nor interest in aviation! I have to give him credit though with the LUAS. I get Luas everyday to school and it's being extended up past my road and the work is absolutely flying! Now if the terminal and the runway are built as quick we'll be laughing!!
Airports: DUB, SNN, JFK, LHR, STN, MIA, CRL, FCO, FAO, PMI, BCN, AMS, MAH, PHL, MSP, GFK, DTW, ATW, IBZ, TLS, OSH

OA260

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:20 pm

I sent them an email last week to tell them about the errors on the pages. Did anyone else? Obviously they listened to the emails anyway!!

Hey Padraic, thanks for the update. I noticed that when you first posted that they had put the seat maps on . Good to see that they have amended it. Although you would need to know to click on the Video screen to get this.

Will be great when they load the A350's on !!!! Cant wait to see those....

BrianDromey

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 25):
Anyone of you guys going to buy any tickets???

I got the e-mail and considered booking, but the period was only for December, when Im at home anyway.

Im flying RE home for Christmas in a fortnight, hopefully it will be -REL/-REM. But likely to be -REA, for at least the 5th time! I swear that frame follows me around (and -BYO). Will try to do a TR, put the camera on the iPhone to the test, its surprisingly good in quality actually.

Brian.

OA260

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:32 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 30):
Will try to do a TR, put the camera on the iPhone to the test, its surprisingly good in quality actually.

OK OK we hear ya !!!! So you got an Iphone LOL........ Im waiting for the 3G version to come out. I would be interested to know your ideas on it and any bad points. Also see the photo quality. Looking forward to the TR. I will pray for REL for you....I want to see pics of inside the cabin.

Quoting EI350 (Reply 28):
I have to give him credit though with the LUAS. I get Luas everyday to school and it's being extended up past my road and the work is absolutely flying! Now if the terminal and the runway are built as quick we'll be laughing!!

Im a big fan of the LUAS. Its brilliant. The link between Connolly and Heuston is such a benefit. The number of times I sat on a bus stuck on the Quays in traffic ....... thank god for the LUAS. I hope its rolled out to alot more places. The one to Dundrum shopping center is also great.

Also its not true what they said !!!! People said it would go to Tallaght and come back minus the wheels
 stirthepot 

f1eddie

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 31):
Also its not true what they said !!!! People said it would go to Tallaght and come back minus the wheels

So funny. Yeah dundrum one is very handy for me. Very slow on the old thread this time. Only 30 in two days. Something must be wrong.....

Finally got myflightmemory up on this site.
Flown on EI, FR, BMI, TG, PG, FD, JQ, DJ, LA, NZ, SQ, DL, LX, LH

OA260

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 32):
Finally got myflightmemory up on this site

You seem to have done alot of OZ and NZ!! Id love to do that sometime. NZ just looks amazing .....

BrianDromey

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:37 am

OK OK we hear ya !!!! So you got an Iphone LOL

It was not meant to sound like "Ive got an iPhone" - it was meant to be an excuse because I don't have a digital camera - hopefully Santy will bring one....(so if anyone has any advice for a good pocket one)
As fot the device itself, its brilliant, but to be honest there is an adjusting period. The interface is wonderful to use, and a work of technological brilliance. Its in a totally different league to the likes of the blackBerry pearl my Dad has. That thing is a bloody nightmare, the menus look like word documents.
It took me a while to get used to tapping rather than pressing buttons. I thought I was going to send the thing back at first, as I found the texting strange, But the QWERTY keyboard is much better than the Pearl because the pearl feels like a 'normal' phone keypad, and its all a bit confusing, the way the iPod worked as well was strange, but Cover Flow is always a breath taker, and the quality of the screen.
Everything else is OS X, so I had no problems.
The mail and web functions work very well also, both under wi-fi and Edge power.

To be perfectly honest, I was going to wait as well, and I though the hard drive might have been a bit small, but Ive only got 8 GB of music anyway, and no video, so I thought fe*k it. I don't think that a 3G version of this phone would be significantly better. All it would really add to the party is video calling, if there is a specific 3G function you use a lot then you are better off waiting, perhaps, if not, Im not so sure. I think once O2 Ireland introduces it, and you play with it for a while you will see what I mean.

Naughty.... send the bloody thing to the airport, I say! Or better yet, join the two lines up......

To be fair to the Dept. of Transport, nothing currently being delivered was instigated on the current ministers watch.

Brian.

OA260

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 34):
It was not meant to sound like "Ive got an iPhone"

LOL...i know I was just messing . Regards cameras I have a Casio Xlim that I use for my TR's its a good camera for what I need. If you have a Harvey Norman near you go in and bargain !!! They normally have good deals. Also Dixons and Argos are not bad.

EireRock

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 35):
If you have a Harvey Norman near you go in and bargain !!!

Sound Advice! The electrical section always makes me drool in Harvey Norman, 52" plasmas everywhere!

OA260

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting EireRock (Reply 36):
52" plasmas everywhere!

You hit the nail on the head!!! Thats the thing I want most..... a 50-52'' LCD HDTV ....I can watch all my Bond movies on LOL.....

EireRock

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 37):
I can watch all my Bond movies on LOL.....

Ah yes, id never leave the house!!

By the way i was in Dublin city yesterday and noticed a few FlyBmi billboard posters showing luggage lifting off on its own and it was hitting at the fact that you don't have to pay for your bags with Bmi. Good on them, i have told loads of people to use them when going to London, i always seem to find them cheaper than EI.

BrianDromey

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting EireRock (Reply 36):
Sound Advice! The electrical section always makes me drool in Harvey Norman, 52" plasmas everywhere!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 37):
50-52'' LCD HDTV

Call me silly, but I think good old fashioned CRTs are as good as LCD/Plasma, my flat has an LG LCD (cheaper than a CRT, sadly), I honestly prefer the CRT at home! BTW, anything other than a Samsung/LG is a total waste of money, from what Ive seen in Curry's. I think 32" is about right for home use. Just my taste, as my eyes get a bit funny being close to something so large, unless OA you have a very big living room!  Wink

I'd rather spend the money travelling, I reckon. OZ or a plasma telly.....no contest. (Particularly, Mr as you should have enough miles for an SQ Cash&Miles redemption with BD in J). SQ charge a premium for the A380 though, right?

Brian.

OA260

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:28 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 39):
unless OA you have a very big living room! Wink

I would put it on the wall and have surround sound . I have the TV on all the time . When I get up in the morning I have it on in the background and if I'm off during the day I watch and every night from 7-11 its on. I know I'm a TV couch potato but thats why I want a nice TV lol...... Reading the reviews the LCD are better than the Plasma and they are more energy efficient. LG does have some decent LCD's I have to admit. I will not count them out .

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 39):
(Particularly, Mr as you should have enough miles for an SQ Cash&Miles redemption with BD in J). SQ charge a premium for the A380 though, right?

Yep I have the miles. Just need the redemption classes!!! I'm sure I will get a seat from somewhere lol... The bad thing is that my diary for 2008 is filling up way too fast. Im trying to get out of a conference in Latvia at the moment . I just want alot more free time to do the things I want to do next year. I still want to get to Iceland!!

EireRock

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 40):
LG does have some decent LCD's I have to admit. I will not count them out .

LG and Samsung are definitley top dogs in this category! Not sure about the 7 - 11 tv watching though!!! Although there was a fantastic programme on the other night(Tuesday) bbc2 i think and its running for a few weeks, tuesday nites was all about the Atmosphere, next week its Ice and then theres Oceans and something else(cant think of it now). Well worth a look, even if it is off topic!

Im trying to get out of a conference in Latvia at the moment .

Oh it must be tough!!!! All that travelling, can you send someone in your place???

I still want to get to Iceland!!

Will you go through Gatwick with Icelandair? Or Iceland Express?(are they still operating?)

OA260

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting EireRock (Reply 41):
Oh it must be tough!!!! All that travelling, can you send someone in your place???

Haha I wish I could. You know I will probably see the airport then the hotel and nothing else!!! Its not a vacation you know lol....

Quoting EireRock (Reply 41):
Will you go through Gatwick with Icelandair? Or Iceland Express?(are they still operating?)

I would like to go on Icelandair's 757. Would ne nice to do. I have always wanted to go to the Blue Lagoon. Icelandair Holidays do good packages from LHR.

B747forever

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:10 am

That is great news. Seat Guru needed to fix that.

got the e-mail and considered booking, but the period was only for December, when Im at home anyway.

Okey I see

But likely to be -REA, for at least the 5th time! I swear that frame follows me around (and -BYO).

rotfl   rotfl 

That has to be really strenuous

Will try to do a TR

Looking forward for that.
Work Hard, Fly Right

smokeyrosco

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:37 am

As per the discription.

Fly me to the moon

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dan Vincent

John Hancock

smokeyrosco

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:40 am

Also EI-DVG was delevered to EI yesterday.
John Hancock

OA260

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:20 am

Italian strike forces cancellation of Aer Lingus flights

Friday November 30 2007

Aer Lingus has cancelled two its flights between Dublin and Milan today because of a strike by air traffic controllers in Italy.

The 7.25am Dublin to Milan-Linate flight and the return flight at 11.45am have both been grounded as a result of the industrial action.

Passengers have been re-booked on the 5.10pm flight this evening from Dublin to Milan-Malpensa and the return flight at 9.40pm.

Aer Lingus has also rescheduled its morning flight to Rome to take off later this afternoon.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-n...of-aer-lingus-flights-1233280.html

-------------------------------------------------

O'Leary earned €992,000 - Ryanair report

Ryanair paid its chief executive, Michael O'Leary, €992,000 in the 12 months to the end of March, a 22.7 per cent increase on the previous year.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2007/0904/1188603460950.html

-------------------------------------------------

Bramble

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:33 am

Chatting to another crew member last night. She was recently in Belfast doing promotional work for EI. Several senior management were up with them. They visited a primary school to chat about Aer Lingus. She said it was funny as the kids (10 years olds) just wanted to know who was a pilot and why she wasn't a pilot and what did she do.
DM was grilled the same way and tried to get his point across that he was in charge of the airline ("do you own the planes mister?") After the kids realised he didn't own the planes,fly them or want to fly them they ignored DM. He also tried to give them a prepared specch about marketing of EI,a new era for travel in Belfast and how it will join the island together.....absolutely wasted on 10 yr old kids who just wanted to learn about being a pilot! The crew member was dissappointed to see the briefing he received before entering the school(principal names,school numbers, teachers names atc) While it is normal she felt (I agree) it gave a false impression.

Also discovered that the new Customer Service Training has been covered with the new BFS recruits (Now 18 of them,in DUB yesterday and today to view a/c) However the cabin crew who were supposed to present it to DM last month were shafted. A senior HR manager asked to have the presentation. Unknown to the developers he then presented it to the board to get credit for it................you get great gossip during cabin crew nights out!!!!!!!

Anyone see the new DAA adverts on DublinBus? Picture of frog,with "Prince,enroute''. Very good marketing.

BrianDromey

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:35 am

It seems that an AtlasJet aircraft was lost in Turkey last night/early this morning. The aircraft was an MD-83, reg TC-AKM, and was being operated by World Focus, also of Turkey. All 56 passengers and crew on board have perished.

May they rest in peace.

From the seperate thread it seems like CFIT, the crew were running a significant delay, and it was 01:45 in the morning. The area in question is quite mountainous, but the approach seems to be realitvely straightforward, in spite of this. Looks like a case of get-home-itis, one would have thought in this day and age, we had seen the end of accidents like these. Sadly this does not seem to be the case.

As Jeremy Clarkson said "they can build something this fast, this awesome, but the worst component is still the squidgy organic thing behind the wheel"

Brian.

EIDAA

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 26):
I know some of it's to do with drainage for T2 but I can't remember exactly what parts have to do with what.

Thanks, makes sense that it is linked to T2 construction work, given the amount of time those taxiways are out of action. Not too sure about the Papas though.

Quoting F1eddie (Reply 32):
Finally got myflightmemory up on this site.

I just put mine as my profile homepage too. You certainly clocked up a few flights down under! I only hit SYD and MEL.

Did I notice on another thread that you are flying DL to the States on the 20th? I am flying to JFK with them that day.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 34):
if anyone has any advice for a good pocket one

I had a Cannon Ixus and that was pretty good. It was slim enough for what I needed, but there are no doubt more slimline units out there. Need to look for one myself now.

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 45):
Also EI-DVG was delevered to EI yesterday.

Looks like the aircraft was delivered and arrived in from TLS on Wednesday evening as EI991. Yesterday it entered service, flying the early morning round trip to MUC, followed by a double LHR. It looks like it is on the LHR runs again this morning.

[Edited 2007-11-30 02:46:31]
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos