Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

National757
Topic Author

Southern Skyways Announces CRW-LAS-OAK

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:38 pm

Per this article, it looks like Southern Skyways will be using Primaris Airlines' 757s to operate CRW-LAS-OAK

From http://www.dailymail.com/News/200711290032:

Quote:

Thursday November 29, 2007
Yeager to offer direct flights from Charleston to Las Vegas
by George Hohmann
Daily Mail Business Editor

Kanawha County officials were set to announce today that direct air service linking Charleston and Las Vegas will begin in early March.

Rick Atkinson, director of Yeager Airport, said, "It is an exciting opportunity for the people of West Virginia to have direct service to Las Vegas, one of the most popular tourist and convention business locations in the world."

Southern Skyways will offer the service from Charleston to Las Vegas on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays and from Las Vegas on Tuesdays and Fridays.

According to the airline's Web site, www.southernskyways.com, flights will be offered at fares as low as $169 each way, although the fare posted on the Web site is $189. Tickets can be purchased now online.

Interesting routing to say the least. From the same article, here's the reason for the LAS-OAK flights:

Quote:

The aircraft is going to Oakland because it will also be used for flights from Oakland to Hawaii, although those flights will be a private shuttle, Evans said.

Looks like instead of having a ferry flight between LAS-OAK, Southern Skyways is selling seats. Good move, as it makes more sense to have a paying passenger in the seat than let the seat fly empty. I wonder if Primaris and Southern Skyways plan on splitting the cost of the LAS-OAK flights? Or if they plan on splitting the revenue generated from the flights and have Primaris cover the flight costs since Primaris would have needed to ferry the plane to OAK regardless.

In any case, it looks like the folks at Southern Skyways have studied Allegiant's business model. Smart move, as the Allegiant model has been wildly successful. It will be interesting to see how they do out of CRW seeing as how Allegiant has been doing very well out of HTS.

FATFlyer

RE: Southern Skyways Announces CRW-LAS-OAK

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:59 pm

This will be interesting to watch. 176 seats is a lot to fill a couple of times a week given the historical size of the market.

Southern's fare to LAS looks like it is only about a $20 discount off the connections offered by other airlines. So they are not competing on price, just non-stop convenience.

It also looks like they chose NOT to copy Allegiant, I don't see on the website any way for them to have ancilliary revenue sources from hotel packages, rental cars, etc.

I'm afraid I have some doubts. I hope it works but we will see if the market responds.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

KarlB737

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:48 pm

Here is a report from the local media including a video report. Click the little screen instead of the big one. I couldn't get the big one to work for the video report.

Courtesy: WSAZ-TV

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/11913106.html

RL757PVD

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:16 pm

Quoting National757 (Thread starter):
Southern Skyways will offer the service from Charleston to Las Vegas on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays and from Las Vegas on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Unless theres 2x LAS-CRW on fri, something seems off with that statement.

Those are some pretty crappy days of the week for LAS. For a small Market like CRW id think theyd want to go with thurs/sun to best capture both the long weekend crowds and also the off peak, weekday and convention visitors, who are typically there Mon-Wed.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

Tornado82

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:52 pm

That's an awful lot of seats to fill, on a route that's going to cost an awful lot of $90+/bbl fuel, from a smallish unproven (to LAS anyways) market. Southern Skyways hasn't hit 1.000 when it comes to actually operating routes as advertised either. I'll believe it when the 752 rotates on 5/23.

FATFlyer

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 4):
Southern Skyways hasn't hit 1.000 when it comes to actually operating routes as advertised either.

Southern's plans for flights between Victoria, TX and Dallas seem to be the latest one.

Quote:
Flights to Dallas Canceled: Only 20 People Had Made Reservations for December
By David Tewes, Victoria Advocate, Texas

Nov. 29--The business and leisure flights between Victoria and Dallas were canceled this week before they even began. "It is certainly obvious to the airline and to the county that this would not be a profitable venture," County Judge Don Pozzi said. "We are discouraged by that."

The airline wanted 23 passengers per flight for December. Only 20 people had made reservations for the entire month, he said.

But it looks like they will now offer some "excursions" out of Victoria.

Quote:
But Pozzi said Aviation Advantage and the county have agreed to provide those Victoria area flights on Dec. 11-13. There will be eight excursion flights per day on a 30-seat jet. The flights will depart the airport, fly around the area for about an hour and then return to the airport. The flights will be open to Victoria businesses, possibly the high schools and to individuals at no charge to them.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/busines....html

confused 

iowaman

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:30 am

Yeah, a 757 from CRW-LAS will work great on the lowest travel days of the week, not to mention CRW will never fill that many O&D seats on a good day. No one will get on in LAS flying to OAK unless they plan on offering the seats cheaper then WN, which would basically be free. WN is currently at 13x LAS-OAK daily.

FATFlyer

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 6):
No one will get on in LAS flying to OAK unless they plan on offering the seats cheaper then WN, which would basically be free. WN is currently at 13x LAS-OAK daily.

Southern Skyways' web site says the LAS-OAK fare is $69 one way.

Southwest lists its lowest internet one way LAS-OAK fare as $54 one way.

I'm like you, are we missing something in Southern's math??

wedgetail737

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 6):
No one will get on in LAS flying to OAK unless they plan on offering the seats cheaper then WN, which would basically be free.

What about AQ. I don't think they would be flying one flight RT between OAK and LAS daily, unless it was somewhat successful. The 737-700 could easily make the Hawaii trip nonstop.

National757
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 1):
It also looks like they chose NOT to copy Allegiant,

Fair enough, but I believe Southern Skyways saw the success Allegiant was having from smaller cities to Las Vegas and figured a route to Vegas from CRW would succeed.

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 5):
But it looks like they will now offer some "excursions" out of Victoria.

What's this? Eight flights a day flying around Victoria, TX and burning fuel? Seems incredibly wasteful. I see how these flights could possibly build name recognition and goodwill, but eight flights a day is excessive. Don't they have a better, more profitable use for that aircraft?

Quoting Wedgetail737 (Reply 8):
What about AQ.

I too wonder how AQ has done compared to WN on LAS-OAK. They must be having moderate success as they are still flying the route.

This article states Southern Skyways is operated by Pace Airlines. Is this accurate? There is no mention of Pace on the Southern Skyways website.

Tornado82

Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:02 am

Quoting National757 (Reply 9):

Fair enough, but I believe Southern Skyways saw the success Allegiant was having from smaller cities to Las Vegas and figured a route to Vegas from CRW would succeed.

But Allegiant doesn't do it flying flights that long, in a 752. That's where the problem comes in. I realize the runway/terrain at CRW prohibited a 737 classic from doing it and nobody really has 73G's laying around for low utilization work like this... but a 752 on this route is a money pit.

If someone wants to start running charters from CRW there are far lower hanging fruits... MCO/SFB, TPA/PIE, FLL.... stuff that is FAR cheaper to run, and can be run on some old junker 732's instead of 752's.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos