hamad
Topic Author

CO F/A Saying That EK Toilets Are Filthy

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:40 pm

this post is not intended against continental airlines or any of its flight attendants in a bad way, but i thought i share this experience with everyone. i live in phoenix, and i was eating at the bar in a restaurant called Fez.. beside me i heard a conversation between two guys, one who was so queeny and claimed to be a Continental flight attendant. he was going on and on about how long he has been with them, and then finally since we were seating beside each other i was dragged into the conversation. he mentioned that on a trip to India, he flew Emirates, and he just went off on how the toilets were nasty, and how people were "stupid", "Dirty" and didn't know how to use the toilets. then stated "Seems like an airline with lots of sanitary issues, i would never fly them again, even if it was on a pass" i just couldn't help saying "wasn't it Continental who just had the toilet flow into the cabin for hours couple of months ago?" he responded that it was different, because it was a mechanical!!!

funny how people talk!
PHX - i miss spotting

eghansen

RE: CO F/A Saying That EK Toilets Are Filthy

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:52 pm

Americans are obsessed with cleanliness.

I remember on a cruise ship a woman asking me if it was safe to travel to Thailand and that she was worried about the sanitary conditions there. I told her she would do better to just stay at home or go to Disneyworld.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

777STL

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:54 pm

I'm not offering an opinion either way since I don't have first hand experience, but he wouldn't be the first I've heard say that.
PHX based

ikramerica

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Quoting HAMAD (Thread starter):
"wasn't it Continental who just had the toilet flow into the cabin for hours couple of months ago?" he responded that it was different, because it was a mechanical!!!

Well, on that part his is correct. Things break. The toilet broke. There is nothing the F/As could do about it.

I would hope that on the day you have a toilet break in your house you don't have people over, and if you do, they don't forever call you filthy because of it...  Wink

CO is one of the largest airlines in the world, and having one freaking toilet overflow due to a mechanical problem, and issue they diverted for and tried to repair only to have happen 1/2 across the atlantic a second time, is not an indicator of anything about sanitation. And the toilet didn't continue to overflow for hours either time, BTW. It just overflowed, spilled on the back area, and they taped it off and covered it in paper but couldn't do anything else. The alternative was to divert again, making the passengers 48 hours late!

That said, neither is this F/A's experience an indication of a system wide problem with EK. It may have just been a bad flight. Or he might just be a whiner. I don't really care what one gossipy F/A says about anything...  Smile
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

OA260

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:05 pm

one who was so queeny and claimed to be a Continental flight attendant. he was going on and on about how long he has been with them

Hmm I totally sympathise with you . Not because it was CO but I have had the same thing on a cruise ship last year. There were a few FA's that obviously were on vacation together and there was a quiet area for sun bathing. All you could hear was them and they seemed to want everyone to hear them and put on a show !!!

It could really turn you off an airline !!! Other passengers on the sun deck were complaining about them. Lucky they got the hint when people kept giving them dirty looks so we had peace for the rest of the voyage. On the flip side of the coin there were another two FA's who were from Germany and they were totally different. They were kind and friendly and sincere and kept themselves to themselves.

vioron

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:14 pm

Thats Dubai's blue-collar workforce on most of those DXB-BOM flights. Many of them have never flown on a plane and some of them are just not used to high or hygenic living standards. It's wrong to call them dirty and stupid though! Quite often, I've seen flight attendants getting upset with passengers on this sector.

FFlyer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Not meaning that this could apply to Emirates as an airline, or a country, but have you guys maybe been to public restrooms in some Middle Eastern countries, or e.g. Russia? Different culture really shows...an smells! I never learned to use rocks and sand instead of toilet paper...I guess I'm a bit spoiled. Is there a bucket of small rocks available in EK lavatories? I have never flown them.

hamad
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:29 pm

i am not defending Emirates here, as i have only flown them when i go back to the middleast on short trips, example DXB-DOH, DXB-KWI. usually they are clean. cultural issues apply in every case. even in the USA, you have one of the cleanest toilets in an area, but then you get one of the filthiest toilets in other areas. my point was how i was amazed on how some people talk badly about other people with no consideration that it might happen or have happened to them. as for calling people stupid from his side, i thought to my self, from the way he appeared and his conversation on how he has been holding international line for over 10 years: wouldn't he be aware of cultural differences, and behavior before he bashes and generalizes like that.
PHX - i miss spotting

AEROFAN

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:40 pm

Americans are obsessed with cleanliness? Where did you get that from? I guess you've never been to NYC.

[Edited 2007-11-29 11:42:29]

haggis79

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting Eghansen (Reply 1):

yes 

just look at that "how often get the blankets washed"-thread a few days ago.... according to some posters there, one should be instantly dead just touching the blankets... wonder why I'm still alive, then...  Wink
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

OA260

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting Aerofan (Reply 8):
Americans are obsessed with cleanliness? Where did you get that from? I guess you've never been to NYC.

HAHA took the words out of my mouth. You cant say a whole nation is obsessed with cleanliness. I'm sure there are many who are not. NYC is filthy but then its a huge city with all the downsides of a large population. The cleanest city in the USA I was ever in was Austin Texas !!!! It was spotless.

Just like you cant say any other country is obsessed with cleanliness. I think its a personal thing. For me I am obsessed with cleanliness and have everything sprayed and wiped with anti bacterial cleaners and bleached toilets and floors.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:44 pm

i live in phoenix,

Same here. Hey there, neighbor!!!  wave 

one who was so queeny

That narrows the commuters down to one or two. Big grin

claimed to be a Continental flight attendant

Must be COEX.  duck 

As for Americans obsessed with cleanliness, this from a group of people who have no problems using the can with no shoes or socks on their feet.  Yeah sure

didn't know how to use the toilets.

The person in question probably has zero clue on cultural differences and probably only flies domestically, if he does at all. Yes, there are people who are unaware of how airplane toilets work. That ranges from how to open the door to flushing the toilet. Are they stupid? Far from it. Just not familiar. There is a huge difference.

he just went off on how the toilets were nasty,

Nasty can be a relative term. For me, nasty gets a lot of leeway. Some people think a tissue on the floor is nasty. If he was, indeed, a flight attendant, he would/should know better (on a few levels) and not chalk it up to the airline, but to the clientele. Also, flight attendants are responsible for tidying the can. I can vouch for spotless loos on my flights. They might not have gotten to that particular one, yet.

Drama queen, indeed. For someone to throw stones like, his glass house better be in good shape.

Let me know what he looked like, I'll put an end to it.  Wink  box 
You can't cure stupid

ikramerica

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:00 pm

Actually, we are as world standards go. We expect our bathrooms in public places to be very clean and well equipped with paper and soap and such, but around the world, it's just not as expected. The convenience of having a toilet to go in at all is looked upon as the primary purpose of a washroom.

I remember being in Cannes and commenting to an Australian friend about how the bathroom in the five star hotel we were in had a lame bathroom with no paper towels and no soap. His answer was that it always makes him laugh when he sees how upset Americans get about stuff like that. He's a tri-citizen (UK, Aussie, USA due to heritage and working the system) and goes all over the world (no pun intended) and routinely finds us to be the most uptight about that topic.

I can see his point. Having been to "first world" places like Europe, Japan, Singapore and Australia among others, even the fanciest hotels often have merely passable bathrooms. As a kid, the smelly trench at the Hyatt in Singapore was just bizarre to me considering the rest of the hotel being so nice. And the dirty "squat" holes in Japan are also quite shocking, though they are becoming less common.

But the airport/airplane bathrooms? They are routinely cleaner outside the USA than in it. Go figure...  Smile
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

eghansen

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:02 pm

I remember a fellow employee who worked for Continental in Houston. His opinion of New York was "never been there, never want to go there". This from a person who could non-rev there for free anytime he wanted to. Some Americans don't consider New York to be part of the same country.

I am American and I love my country, but I long ago faced the fact that my countrymen will never tolerant, sophisticated travelers.

sh0rtybr0wn

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:10 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 10):
Just like you cant say any other country is obsessed with cleanliness.

No, I can say Japan is obsessed with cleanliness. Tokyo was immaculate. The subways were spotless, the airports , like operating rooms. And I salute them.

NYC is great, and I love it too, but walking around Manhattan last week I was struck by how much garbage there was everywhere. And the subways are dirty even for dungeons. A horrible nightmarish place with grime covered filthy paint peeling off every surface.

Those whose say Americans are obsessed with cleanliness must be smoking powerful drugs. Americans are lucky in that we dont have many if any tropical diseases or parasites etc. ,; so I understand why some might be worried about a trip to Southeast Asia. And many Americans health insurance is "iffy" at best, if they are lucky enough to have any at all, so I can understand being afraid of typhoid, malaria, Hep A & B , and other stuff like Dengue fever.

abrelosojos

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting Vioron (Reply 5):
Thats Dubai's blue-collar workforce on most of those DXB-BOM flights. Many of them have never flown on a plane and some of them are just not used to high or hygenic living standards. It's wrong to call them dirty and stupid though! Quite often, I've seen flight attendants getting upset with passengers on this sector.

= I dont think it would have been DXB-BOM. Perhaps another routing to the sub-continent or south east Asia. DXB-BOM is usually filled with connecting traffic and film stars. It is definitely wrong to call them "dirty and stupid" - some of my favorite flights have been on these sectors as I am touched at people who save up their meagre salaries and endure harsh questionable human conditions to provide a better life for themselves and their families. Its always fascinating for people like me to see how excited they are to be on a plane, and to be headed home after such a long time. It makes it so rewarding. Of course EK crew treats them badly ... and I make it a point to lecture them on it.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

rdwootty

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:20 pm

Maybe he did not realise that when the Subcontinent passengers go to the toilet they have to wash all over and this would make the toilet wet maybe thats his problem

silentbob

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 11):
Yes, there are people who are unaware of how airplane toilets work. That ranges from how to open the door to flushing the toilet. Are they stupid? Far from it. Just not familiar. There is a huge difference.

They always seem to try and open our closet doors instead of the lavs for some reason.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting Silentbob (Reply 17):
They always seem to try and open our closet doors instead of the lavs for some reason.

Or pushing where it says pull, pulling where it says push. Trying to open the door withe the ashtray. Thinking the lav call light is how you flush the john. Makes me chuckle every time.

[Edited 2007-11-29 13:29:56]
You can't cure stupid

abrelosojos

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 11):
The person in question probably has zero clue on cultural differences and probably only flies domestically, if he does at all. Yes, there are people who are unaware of how airplane toilets work. That ranges from how to open the door to flushing the toilet. Are they stupid? Far from it. Just not familiar. There is a huge difference.

= WOW. A sensible FA who understands global differences, and how important it is in an increasingly integrated world. Perhaps you could write a book and I could distribute it? Serious. I am always amused at the lack of cultural tolerance amongst FAs who work international and think local. Keep up the excellent work!

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:36 pm

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 19):
Keep up the excellent work!

Thank you.

You have to think globally now. Even locally. With people travelling to all areas and corners of the the world, cabin crew need to more tolerant of differences (the fair dinkum story comes to mind Slang Get Pax Into Trouble (by Mirrodie Aug 11 2007 in Civil Aviation) ).

As crew you also need to adapt to the clientele on the aircraft. It's all about being flexible (one of the things we are hired for being). In the end, knowing more makes you a more rounded individual.
You can't cure stupid

AFGMEL

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:38 pm

I have to say that I never found the US to be clean overall - and yes - I have been all over the mainland and Hawaii. NYC was dirty, particularly the bags of rubbish left out on the sidewalks overnight on garbage day. Some subway stations were beyond filthy and some not bad which was odd.

As for bathrooms, I can't really comments. I would have to be struck with the Montezuma two step to venture in any bathroom other than the hotel. We went to India this year and although I never went near an Indian bathroom except for a pee, the lavs in the aircraft were fine. Flew S2 , IC and SpiceJet.
B 727-44/200 732/3/4/8/9 767-3 742/3/4, 772/3, A319/20/21 332/333 342/3 , DC3/4/10, F28/50/100, ATR72

malaysia

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:52 pm

AHA took the words out of my mouth. You cant say a whole nation is obsessed with cleanliness. I'm sure there are many who are not. NYC is filthy but then its a huge city with all the downsides of a large population. The cleanest city in the USA I was ever in was Austin Texas !!!! It was spotless.

Just like you cant say any other country is obsessed with cleanliness. I think its a personal thing. For me I am obsessed with cleanliness and have everything sprayed and wiped with anti bacterial cleaners and bleached toilets and floors.

Actually in my honest opinion, its the Native Americans that have the cleanest bathrooms. You might go to a reservation and see an old toilet room, sure its outdated and old, but its kept very clean.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

scbriml

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:37 pm

I've encountered dirty toilets on just about every airline I've flown on. In economy, in business and in first. It doesn't take much brains to realise that this is more of a reflection on those that use the toilets than the airlines on whose planes those toilets are found.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

PIA777

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:08 pm

Which Americans are you talking about? No they aren't. They are no more clean then any other people.
I have flown Emirates lots of times and never had problems with the bathroom. Seems like you just ran into
a person obsessed with cleaning.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

JAAlbert

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:14 pm

What does being "queeny" have to do with Emirates' sanitary issues? Is the fact that the F/A is gay make his complaint less credible or worthy of attention?

jetdeltamsy

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 pm

he flew Emirates, and he just went off on how the toilets were nasty, and how people were "stupid", "Dirty" and didn't know how to use the toilets.

I flew Emirates last fall and found everything to be impeccable. Perfect.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

gigneil

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:18 am

Obviously you never have either.

NS

united319

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:54 am

one who was so queeny

I don't really understand what the F/A's mannerisms and composure have to do with anything. I see it as not all people have tolerance and understanding for other cultures in this world, what may seem rude and annoying to us Americans is perfectly normal in other cultures, and when you work in this industry you face those challenges every day. So what if the passengers didn't think to flush a lav? This does not reflect how EK operates as an airline, it just reflects the customer not thinking to flush the toilet, nothing more to it.
It's Time To Fly

cakentennis

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:39 am

Cakentennis' #1 reason not to fly Emirates: F/A treat you like crap on India flights.

Agreed that most passengers on EK flights out of India are blue collar workers, but varying service standards per demographics of passengers is disrespectful.

I flew EK once out of BOM and was absolutely stunned by the way the F/A treat Y passengers. One F/A gave me the 'time-out' sign when I asked for more water.

As far as the toilets go, shit happens, deal with it. If you can't adjust to foreign standards of cleanliness, your problem.

jetsetter629

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:52 am

Cleanliness? How about the Swiss and the Scandinavians! Immaculate facilities in every aspect of their lives!

Rob

Viscount724

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:00 am

I have a vague memory of reading about one international airline years ago (probably the 1970s or so) that had a member of the cabin crew on longhaul flights who was basically an inflight janitor/cleaner and whose primary job was to keep the lavatories clean. Forget which airline it was although OA rings a bell. The position was informally referred to as "cabin boy".

AFGMEL

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 31):
"cabin boy".

Was his name Roger?  mischievous  *

* Sorry to be anglo-centric but it's an English joke. No doubt some of our wonderful linguists we have here will get it as well.
B 727-44/200 732/3/4/8/9 767-3 742/3/4, 772/3, A319/20/21 332/333 342/3 , DC3/4/10, F28/50/100, ATR72

abrelosojos

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting Cakentennis (Reply 29):
Cakentennis' #1 reason not to fly Emirates: F/A treat you like crap on India flights.

Agreed that most passengers on EK flights out of India are blue collar workers, but varying service standards per demographics of passengers is disrespectful.

I flew EK once out of BOM and was absolutely stunned by the way the F/A treat Y passengers. One F/A gave me the 'time-out' sign when I asked for more water.

= Good for you for voting with your wallet. Sooner or later, EK and some of these other Gulf airlines will recognize that without Indian traffic, a lot of their hub Dubai project will collapse. 9W's entry into the market will do just that. It kicked IC out of crap, and will do the same for EK. EK is probably the most inconsistent airline out there, and sooner or later, it will catch up on them.

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

WarRI1

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:01 am

I vote for bringing back the "Cabin Boy" job. I know that I try to drink as little as possible on a flight for obvious reasons.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

kissK

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:33 am

Like the saying goes in french: Il faut de tout pour faire un monde!!!

EK is CLEAN.

EK carries all type of passengers

airportugal310

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:36 am

eside me i heard a conversation between two guys, one who was so queeny

Well there's your damn problem...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

kissK

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:40 am

he mentioned that on a trip to India, he flew Emirates, and he just went off on how the toilets were nasty, and how people were "stupid", "Dirty" and didn't know how to use the toilets. then stated

Seems like an airline with lots of sanitary issues, i would never fly them again, even if it was on a pass" i just couldn't help saying "wasn't it Continental who just had the toilet flow into the cabin for hours couple of months

With i guess his sub load CO staff ticket !!

CO staffs who start thinking about giving "CLEAN" private jets to its staffs!!

abrelosojos

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting KissK (Reply 37):
With i guess his sub load CO staff ticket !!

CO staffs who start thinking about giving "CLEAN" private jets to its staffs!!

= Is my 3 Whiskey on the Rocks kicking in ... or the fact that English is not my native lingo ... this meant absolutely nothing to me.

-A.
Live, and let live.

eghansen

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:54 am

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 24):
Which Americans are you talking about? No they aren't. They are no more clean then any other people.
I have flown Emirates lots of times and never had problems with the bathroom. Seems like you just ran into
a person obsessed with cleaning.

I did not say Americans are clean. I said they are obsessed with cleanliness. Lack of proper sanitation and cleanliness is one of the main reasons people tell me they are afraid to travel abroad.

I did not say that Americans are sensible or reasonable or logical or sophisticated or justified in their obsession with cleanliness. But if two flight attendants are more interested in discussing the bathrooms on Emirates than what they did or saw in fascinating, exotic and historical India, it seems to support my belief that Americans are obsessed with cleanliness.

TACAA320

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:08 am

Where did you get that?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

HBJZA

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:41 am

As a citizen from a world wide known clean country, I have to say that this thread is ridiculous. How on earth can one confirm that an airline is unsanitary because on one of its flights, the toilets were dirty ?????
In any public place where people can go freely, it get dirty because people are dirty and not educated. My mom always tought me to clean the toilets before and after using them in public places. Before to avoid "disease" and after to feel proud that when I go out and one is coming in right behind, he can't think of me as a pig.......
Got it Mister CO F/A !

n123vk

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:11 am

The cleanest city in the USA I was ever in was Austin Texas !!!! It was spotless.

I currently live in Austin, Texas, and it is definetly not a clean city! go to Houston, thats another story! Austin's DIRTY.

However, when it comes to the topic of this discussion i think this person sounds like an idiot, completely ignorant and pretentious. Sometimes toilets are clean, sometimes toilets are nasty, depends on who used them.

And no, Americans are NOT so obsessed with being clean, they wear shoes INSIDE! naaaasty!!!!!
 boggled 

letsgetwet

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:17 am

I agree, this topic is stupid. Any toilet is only as clean as the last pig that used it. Every flight starts out clean. When I use the toilet on a flight and find one in a mess, I blame the passengers, not the airline.

And no, the US is by far not one of the cleaner cultures on this earth!

OA260

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting N123vk (Reply 42):
I currently live in Austin, Texas, and it is definetly not a clean city! go to Houston, thats another story! Austin's DIRTY.

Compared to other US cities I have been to I thought it was clean . The streets were clean and I didnt see any rubbish on the street. Maybe its different out of downtown but my impressions as a tourist were very good.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos