Vio
Topic Author

Poor Airmanship - Video

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:55 pm

Hey,

Check out the video below...

I feel pretty bad for the poor girl, though I'd have to say it's a little funny...

Anyway this video made me ask myself some questions:

1. Why is the pilot doing this with passengers inside?
2. Why are the two girls not strapped in properly?
3. Why is he doing this while the poor girl is vomiting?
4. Why is the "cargo" area not secured?

I'm not sure if he broke any laws here, but personally I think that's extremely poor airmanship.

Let's hear your opinion....

edit:spelling

[Edited 2007-11-29 13:06:37]
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

EWRCabincrew

RE: Poor Airmanship - Video

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:57 pm

Personally, I thought it was funny.

It was probably a Dad taking his daughters and friends on a ride, not realising that one would chunk.
You can't cure stupid

jrfspa320

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:01 pm

i thought that was very funny.

SUPRAZACHAIR

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:10 pm

That was disgusting. I feel sorry for that poor girl.

AirTranTUS

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:15 pm

Quoting Vio (Thread starter):

Because passengers enjoy experiencing 0G. Sometimes they want to do it again.

To the other questions, yes the girls and cargo should have been properly secured and should have checked that everyone was doing fine before the maneuver.
I love ASO!

futurecaptain

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:17 pm

Sometimes doing things like that is fun with passengers. But I'd never do anything like that while someone was using a barf bag. Maybe it's just me but if I am just on a joy flight and don't have a destination in mind as soon as someone needs a bag I turn and head for home. When you are airsick the last place you want to be is in a full, cramped plane.

2. Why are the two girls not strapped in properly?

More to the point, what is the name of the girl on the right who doesn't need a bag? She looks pretty hot.  Wink

Oh, and when the barf covers that poor girls face, that was disgusting.  ill 
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

sh0rtybr0wn

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:22 pm

Maybe its a private planeride. Ive been on lots of small planes but I've never seen anyone throw up. Lucky I guess.

That wasn't that violent, there are extreme rollercoasters these days that are 10 times worse.

malaysia

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:26 pm

Boy I had to pause and pause to see the chunks fly back into her face haha Big grin
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

EWRCabincrew

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:27 pm

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 5):
She looks pretty hot.

Careful, 15 will get you 20.
You can't cure stupid

KELPkid

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:47 pm

That's an airplane ride she'll soon never forget  Yeah sure

There's a person who will now grow up to complain about those "Damned little airplanes" causing noise at the local airport.

Way to go, dude, turn someone off from aviation by being a screw-off  Angry
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

notps76

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:44 pm

Is it wrong that I laughed REALLY hard at that video?
Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

itsnotfinals

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:51 pm

there is nothing "poor" about that video, I've done this more times than I can remember when I used to fly my friends around back in high school and college.

This is a perfectly normal maneuver is well within the certification limits of a Cessna and in fact if you want it in the extreme you can shell out 3000 bucks and do it for much longer periods :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5992077/

[Edited 2007-11-29 16:01:30]
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

futurecaptain

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 11):
I've done this more times than I can remember when I used to fly my friends around back in high school and college.

But were your friends already sick enough to use the barf bag before the maneuver began? That's where judgement needs to come in.

itsnotfinals

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 12):
But were your friends already sick enough to use the barf bag before the maneuver began? That's where judgement needs to come in.

that would be poor human being skills right there, not poor airmanship. They always say no matter what "fly the plane first "  Smile
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

futurecaptain

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 13):
that would be poor human being skills right there, not poor airmanship.

OK, true.  Smile

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 13):
They always say no matter what "fly the plane first "

Yes, always, no matter what. I agree and will try to.

fbgdavidson

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:34 am

That's not bad airmanship....this is!

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

mycrj17

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:20 am

poor dog....
GO CUBS GO!!!!!

airportugal310

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:38 am

That first video is possibly the best thing I have seen in a few days...

I do a zero G maneuver with every passenger i take flying...they generally ask for more!  Smile
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

platinumfoota

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:48 am

rotfl   weeping   white  Too Funny!! Both the first video and the "landing" lol
Never forget United 93

Jpax

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:50 am

Anyone one, not just pilots, should have good enough judgment to know that barf bag = cut the crap.

Hope that pilot logged Idiot in Command time...

ShannoninAMA

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting NotPs76 (Reply 10):

Not at all... rotfl 
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

VC10DC10

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:16 am

That wasn't the slightest bit funny, in my opinion.

CaptSkibi

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:27 pm

I think what is disgusting is that someone posted this video on the internet knowing that this girl was puking. As a private pilot myself, when you are focused on flying the plane, you may actually not even know that someone is puking in the back seat. It has happened to me (someone was puking in the back seat) on approach to an airport. I had no idea that this person feeling sick. We were experiencing some low level turbulence, but we were approaching our destination. I was focused on the landing. However, this guy looked like he was looking around in the plane instead of actually focusing on the maneuver.

Yes, it is poor airmanship to not have the items in the cargo area securely stowed. No, it's not poor airmanship to do a power on stall. If you're flying the plane and the passengers request to feel some maneuvers but no one speaks up about not feeling up to it, it is the fault of the passenger. We're pilots, not psychics!

Perhaps the girls just didn't have their seat belts on securely? In my preflight briefing with my passengers, I make sure to tell them to keep their seat belts securely fastened (so they will not rise up off the seat).

Edit: Spelling

[Edited 2007-11-30 05:34:06]
Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land / former frequent flyer with 9 straight years being elite on NW/DL

UA777lover

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:41 pm

Oh my god that was SO funny. Am watching it at work and laughing my ASS off!!!!

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:44 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 9):
There's a person who will now grow up to complain about those "Damned little airplanes" causing noise at the local airport.

Way to go, dude, turn someone off from aviation by being a screw-off

Sarcasm?
And not necessarily. I almost threw-up on my T-37 "Tweet" flight last summer (I say "almost" because it came up into my mouth, and I managed to swallow it back down so I wouldn't miss the barf bag and thus have to clean it up on landing) and I don't complain about jet noise. Same with my dad. He gets airsick far worse than I do and doesn't "complain".

No. Because I did too.  silly 

Quoting CaptSkibi (Reply 23):
Perhaps the girls just didn't have their seat belts on securely? In my preflight briefing with my passengers,

I realize it's slightly difference with planes, but on roller coasters, I intentionally don't secure my lap bar all the way down (I hold my knees up when the attendant comes by to do the check) and can better enjoy the "air-time" on the ride. Experiencing Zero-G is pointless if you're strapped in so tight you can't move.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

highflier92660

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:57 pm

Let's see; In the first video newly minted Private Pilot Theodore Throttle takes up two girls to demonstrate that he was not the non-athletic high school dweeb they thought he was but an FAA certified SkyGod. A little zero G will cement that fact and get their estrogen flowing. To his amazement one girl pukes and the other girl won't date him now if he were the last man on Earth.

Video two: a little Vref plus a million followed by a classic P.I.O. (pilot induced oscillation) and really strong nose gear. Cliche remark: Any landing that you can walk away from...

Video three: LMFAO CLASSIC!!!!!! That is such an awesome dog rising from the rear seat!

PanAm1971

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:12 pm

That is great airmanship... and terrible barf-woman-ship! Keep that bag secure! I hope he made her clean that up. Geez.

soon7x7

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 pm

Believe it or not, people will pay to do this, even if they are succeptable to motion sickness...I worked for commercial glider ops and the Schweizer 2-32 is an incredible machine,capable of 160mph, 7 G's (+), and (-) 3 G's.When lift was non existant, then it was smooth enough for some aerobatics.My pax always loved the negative G maneuver however,at all times, pax are restrained by shoulder and waist heavy duty military issue harnesses.I would go over the top and let the handheld radio float out of my hand for the photo op.I was always aware of the status of my passengers current digestive wellbeing as the signs are two things...they become silent behind me, or, in my perrifial vision, I would detect them fumbling for the air vents to redirect more cool air. At that point in time...ALL maneuvering is terminated and a quite call into the tower for an immediate landing is required.No pocket books were allowed or extreneous junk, cameras were to always be held with strap around wrist...the pilot in this video is careless as it demonstrates lack of forethought. While piloting C-172's, on three occasions, I have had doors open up during the flight on my passengers side...my guess is they fumble with things and unlatch the door by mistake, in two of those events, without my knowledge, my pax had removed their harnesses!.When you're wearing a headset, you don't hear changes very well in cabin ambient noise , the only tipoff was that I felt cold drafts.All three of these flights were at night. For this reason I do not performany aerobatics in powered aircraft w/ pax. You learn quick after you have to clean up a cockpit with three pounds of puke on a hot humid summer day in the middle of the summer! With regards to the pilot breaking any rules...he must always be harnessed in...if maneuvers do not exceed 30 degrees of + or - pitch or exceed 60 degrees of bank, no parachutes are mandated for occupants.That poor girl should have puked on the pilots neck, next time he'll think better of flying like a jerk.

beechnut

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 15):

Bad case of porpoising. The guy should have initiated a go-around. I had it happen to me once when I was a newbie private pilot. Going around saved the day. It was embarrassing, but no more so than bent metal.

As for the pilot-induced barf. Must not have been his plane. Cleaning barf is no fun. I have learned long ago that with non-pilot pax. on board, you do gentle rate-one turns, pick a smooth day, etc. You want to create friends of aviation, not enemies. My aircraft is certified for aerobatics but I would never do them with a passenger other than another pilot on board. In all my flying since 1980, I had one passenger barf (into a bag) on a perfectly clear and smooth day...she was simply nervous. I had one come close but the cause was rough air, not aerobatics.

Beech

DeC

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:16 pm

Hahaha the original's a very funny video!
DEC

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:52 pm

Quoting BeechNut (Reply 29):
As for the pilot-induced barf. Must not have been his plane. Cleaning barf is no fun. I have learned long ago that with non-pilot pax. on board, you do gentle rate-one turns, pick a smooth day, etc. You want to create friends of aviation, not enemies. My aircraft is certified for aerobatics but I would never do them with a passenger other than another pilot on board. In all my flying since 1980, I had one passenger barf (into a bag) on a perfectly clear and smooth day...she was simply nervous. I had one come close but the cause was rough air, not aerobatics.

You must not have gone up with any military instructor pilots. Their whole goal is to show off and get you to puke.  silly 

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 28):
That poor girl should have puked on the pilots neck, next time he'll think better of flying like a jerk.

Well, she was puking before he even pulled the manuver, which tells me he should have known not to do that. When I got my T-37 ride with ROTC the previous summer we were briefed exactly on what we were going to do once airborne- what type of manuvers, etc. We were told if we felt like we were getting sick, to let the pilot know and he would level off. So it may have been as simple as her (or her friend/sister/whatever) speaking up.

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 28):
You learn quick after you have to clean up a cockpit with three pounds of puke on a hot humid summer day in the middle of the summer!

That was the one reason I didn't hurl and forced myself to swallow it back down. We were told if we puked and we missed the barf bag, WE would be cleaning up the cockpit upon landing back at the base.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

bristolflyer

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:49 pm

I think it's a pretty poor show by the pilot. He should have known this girl was puking and shouldn't have done it. Now she probably hates flying due to this horrible experience.

I hope that as recompense for the pilot being such a kack ass a lot of that vomit got spilt on his seats/carpet - he deserves it. What a pr#ck.

there is nothing "poor" about that video, I've done this more times than I can remember when I used to fly my friends around back in high school and college.

Wow, if only I had a friend like you. The only time I have been in a light aircraft the pilot who is a friend (by my definition) realised I was feeling unwell and got the a/c down immediately (we were only on a pleasure flight).

This is a perfectly normal maneuver is well within the certification limits of a Cessna

That's not the point of the thread, as well you know.
Fortune favours the brave

n710ps

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:34 pm

I rolled off my seat laughing. That was great! Granted they should have been strapped in much more securely the manuver is not somthing people need to be fussing about.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

KELPkid

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:43 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 25):
Sarcasm?
And not necessarily. I almost threw-up on my T-37 "Tweet" flight last summer (I say "almost" because it came up into my mouth, and I managed to swallow it back down so I wouldn't miss the barf bag and thus have to clean it up on landing) and I don't complain about jet noise. Same with my dad. He gets airsick far worse than I do and doesn't "complain".

Yeah, but when you sign up to fly in a military trainer, that's kind of what you expect. Whoever was PIC in this case was not being much of an ambassador for aviation. Think about this: often when we take _____ (fill in the blank: friends, family, relatives, co-workers) you are often this person't first exposure to general aviation! I certainly don't want people posting videos on YouTube of me puking my guts up, and I don't care what the situation was.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

United787

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:49 pm

I have done that with my Flight Simulator in a 747 at Meigs Field and ended up in Monroe Harbor...oops...I guess that is why I am not a pilot and never will be.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:59 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 34):
Yeah, but when you sign up to fly in a military trainer, that's kind of what you expect. Whoever was PIC in this case was not being much of an ambassador for aviation. Think about this: often when we take _____ (fill in the blank: friends, family, relatives, co-workers) you are often this person't first exposure to general aviation! I certainly don't want people posting videos on YouTube of me puking my guts up, and I don't care what the situation was.

Yep! I remember that quote from my many Private Pilot manuals.
What gets measured gets done.

Mir

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:00 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 19):
Anyone one, not just pilots, should have good enough judgment to know that barf bag = cut the crap.

checkmark  There is the possibility that the pilot didn't know that she was airsick. I've taken people up before and they used the sick sack and I never even found out until we landed (apparently a steep spiral followed by lazy eights was just too much for them), even though I told him in the preflight briefing that if they ever felt uncomfortable to let me know.

But if I ever do become aware that someone in the plane was sick, the manuevers end right there, no questions asked. If this pilot did know that she was sick (and he did have his head turned toward her in the beginning of the video, though that's no guarantee that he saw her) and continued, it may not show poor airmanship, but it does say something about him as a human being.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

PlunaCRJ

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:12 pm

I don´t think the original video is funny. At all.

The landing video was... impressive. Poor Let410.

And the video with the dog, really nice. Beautiful dog by the way... bit surprised the dog didnt seem to mind the "experience" very much.

747fan

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:30 pm

No, 'cause I was just laughing VERY hard at that video as well, even if it was a little "graphic."  wink 
But the one that I was laughing the hardest over was the landing video; I was almost on the verge of tears. LMAO! laughing   rotfl 
I didn't watch the 3rd video, as I LOVE dogs and hate to see them being treated like that.  Sad
Here's some bad airmanship. This video is of a guy crashing a helicopter and is VERY FUNNY! What an idiot.  wink 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8urRCuU_-s
Sorry, I don't know how to link videos like the thread starter - how do you do that?

chrisnh

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting SupraZachAir (Reply 3):
That was disgusting. I feel sorry for that poor girl.

Yeah, me too. But it's balanced by the fact the pilot might have had to go back there afterward and clean it all up  bigthumbsup 

beechnut

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:15 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 30):
You must not have gone up with any military instructor pilots. Their whole goal is to show off and get you to puke.   

Ya but he probably doesn't have to clean the plane afterwards. They have ground crew for that.

When it comes to MY plane, i.e. the one I own, I do my best to avoid on-board puking and I keep bags in the seat pockets just in case.

Beech

wdleiser

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:25 pm

Did anyone else think hey maybe the pilot was a friend of the girl in the back and was just messing around with her.

some people on a.net are way to uptight

ACDC8

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:25 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 33):
Whoever was PIC in this case was not being much of an ambassador for aviation. Think about this: often when we take _____ (fill in the blank: friends, family, relatives, co-workers) you are often this person't first exposure to general aviation! I certainly don't want people posting videos on YouTube of me puking my guts up, and I don't care what the situation was.

And less than 5% of the general public may agree with you, but the other 95% find it quite funny and will not let humour deter them from flying even in general aviation.

My niece gets air sick extremely easy. Last time when I flew her from YVR-YLW (even though I thought it was a bad idea because she can't even sit in the back of a car without getting sick) she puked twice (first time in a bag, second time on the radios ... yuck). Some people just tend to get sicker faster and easier than others. I thought the video was quite funny, gross, but funny.

Now, for real poor airmanship .....

LOL!
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

vald

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:49 pm

First video, is just class!

United787

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 42):

Seriously, all of the people that allowed that plane to take off without moving all of the vehicles out of the way should win a Darwin Award...what idiots! Baton Rouge, go figure...  duck 

SUPRAZACHAIR

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:09 pm

Watching that dog video does make me feel better, I will say that.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:41 pm

And less than 5% of the general public may agree with you, but the other 95% find it quite funny and will not let humour deter them from flying even in general aviation.

Well I always kept this statememt to heart. And I was always tought through the books and by instructors not to show boat with new flyers, etc (unless they ask for it  Wink )
What gets measured gets done.

PlunaCRJ

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:22 pm

What kind of people will let a plane takeoff besides their car without doing anything to remove it?
And what kind of pilot would takeoff with all those cars beside the aircraft?

Glad the pilot and his wife are OK.

BR715-A1-30

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:59 am

HILARIOUS!!!!!!

Talk about a bad accident... SCREEEEEEECH!!

Quoting United787 (Reply 44):
Seriously, all of the people that allowed that plane to take off without moving all of the vehicles out of the way should win a Darwin Award...what idiots! Baton Rouge, go figure...

Darwin is only awarded if someone dies in the name of stupidity, not for performing a stupid act and living to tell about it.
Puhdiddle

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos