cayman
Topic Author

Havoc For Airlines To Venezuela

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:07 pm

In yet another move that ranges from the absurd to the flay out lunatic, the govt of Venezuela plans to (very soon) arbitrarily change Venezuelan time such that it will no longer correspond with any other country. Perhaps there is some great political symbolism in this: on the other hand even Cuba participates in normal time measurement, but before this turns into an inevitable debate about Chavez, dealing with the issue of commercial aviation this must present some real challenges.

When the Venezuelan clocks are rolled back one half hour and Venezuelan time will thus be GMT minus 4.5 hours, surely this will create some real scheduling problems for airlines, especially international airlines.

Presumably major international carriers time their arrivals at their hubs for slot/gate availability, customs and immigration lines and of course for connecting traffic. I doubt any of the major carriers will wish to alter their arrival time to accommodate this change so therefore presumably the only solution will be to change all of the departure times out of CCS?

I can well imagine that this will be a real headache for international carriers having to re-schedule these flight departure times and advise passengers. Some domestic Vzlan pax may have tight connections as it is and this may jam them.

Boy, makes you thin of the old adage "if it aint broke don't fix it."

LAXintl

RE: Havoc For Airlines To Venezuela

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:11 pm

Must have gotten the idea from Ahmadinejad in Iran, whom is also 1/2hour off other times zones (+3:30 from GMT).

At least this way they can better coordinate their pep talks with each other.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

PanAm747

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:17 pm

Keep in mind there are many places in the world that are +30 ahead:

Iran and Afghanistan both, as well as India and Myanmar, and central Australia.

If Chavez wants to change the time in his country, that's his perogative. It won't affect block times from one airport to CCS and then back.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

MAH4546

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:20 pm

This won't create havoc. It's inconvenient, but airlines have to do this twice a year thanks to Daylight Savings Time.
a.

scalebuilder

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 1):
At least this way they can better coordinate their pep talks with each other.

laughing 

Quoting CayMan (Thread starter):
In yet another move that ranges from the absurd to the flay out lunatic, the govt of Venezuela plans to (very soon) arbitrarily change Venezuelan time such that it will no longer correspond with any other country.

I guess arguing against this change could potentially be a true insult against the will of the Venezuelian People....so according to Chavez...their democratically elected spokeperson.

Does anyone know what the real value of this change might be? What benefit does it bring to anyone, including the wonderful people living in Venezuela?
Go the extra mile......and avoid the traffic!!!

cayman
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 3):
This won't create havoc. It's inconvenient, but airlines have to do this twice a year thanks to Daylight Savings Time.

But DST is known well in advance and taken into account in scheduling months ahead of tiume. There might be as little as days notice of this change. I would say it will be a little more than "inconvenient" for airlines to have to contend with very short notice change of half hour to either departure or arrival time.

I cannot imagine AA would be too thrilled with having to just adjust all their CCS times in MIA by a half hour. Much of the time arriving in MIA you can't get a gate anyway.

ScottB

Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting CayMan (Reply 5):
I cannot imagine AA would be too thrilled with having to just adjust all their CCS times in MIA by a half hour.

They won't. They'll still arrive and depart MIA at the same times; just the CCS arrival and departure times will be adjusted. Unless CCS has slots or curfews, it won't matter too much, and I doubt that AA cares much, if at all, about connections with domestic Venezuelan carriers.

cayman
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 6):
They won't. They'll still arrive and depart MIA at the same times; just the CCS arrival and departure times will be adjusted. Unless CCS has slots or curfews, it won't matter too much, and I doubt that AA cares much, if at all, about connections with domestic Venezuelan carriers.

Yes that's what my thread starting point was, arrival times will not be adjusted, the airlines will have to change all the departure times from CCS. Word has it that they may be given at most a matter of DAYS notice of this time change.

I am not suggesting the world will stop turning: I only raised as a discussion topic my observation that it will be chaotic and I think a little more than just "inconvenient" for airlines to have to deal with 30 minute departure time change with only days notice. Sure, it happens, but it will not be convenient and then some.

As to your comment about AA not "caring at all about domestic connections"--I would not be so certain of that. They draw a fair amount of traffic from destinations in Vzla other than CCS. Put it another way, I don't think that is business AA would care to leave on the table.

luisde8cd

Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:55 am

Even though this clock move is something ridiculous and yet another inconvenience brought upon us by Chavez, foreign airlines will not care a bit, they will just notify pax that they will be arriving/departing CCS/PMV/MAR/VLN 30min earlier than scheduled.

Who might have some problems are Venezuelan airlines flying to neighboring islands if they face some restriction in either AUA, CUR, SDQ or POS (which I seriously doubt).

Saludos desde Monterrey,
Luis

MAH4546

Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting CayMan (Reply 5):

I cannot imagine AA would be too thrilled with having to just adjust all their CCS times in MIA by a half hour. Much of the time arriving in MIA you can't get a gate anyway.

There will be no changes at MIA. They will depart and land MIA at the same time.
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos